Let the Old Posts Retire

Baldak

I have a simple request for posters on the forums. Please check out the date that a post was first made before you reply to it. I realize that some of these older posts mention issues that are still problematic, however, seeing threads on the first few pages that have an initial posting date that is over 2 years old is frustrating, especially in an active forum.

Also, When someone starts a thread on a topic that has been covered before, please refrain from bashing the OP when a similar thread was posted until you see how old those other posts are.

So you can then bash people for not using the search function?

Use the search function all you want. We'll be here to bash you for not READING THE DATE/TIME STAMP ON THE LAST POST. Seeing a thread that hasn't been posted in since 1.1, doesn't mean it's in serious need of a response to another post by a poster that is in all likelihood not even playing anymore. Seriously, some of these necro'd threads haven't been touched in over 2 years. Please, let them die in peace.

I doubt anyone intelligent is going to bash you for starting a new post instead of bumping something from 2011. If the subject came up within the last week, sure.

Use the search function all you want. We'll be here to bash you for not READING THE DATE/TIME STAMP ON THE LAST POST. Seeing a thread that hasn't been posted in since 1.1, doesn't mean it's in serious need of a response to another post by a poster that is in all likelihood not even playing anymore. Seriously, some of these necro'd threads haven't been touched in over 2 years. Please, let them die in peace.

I've never necroed a single thread, ever. It's just something I see all the time.

I've never necroed a single thread, ever. It's just something I see all the time.

The only time I ever see anyone being "bashed" for not using the search function is when they post a thread to ask a question that has already been answered several times.

I've never seen anyone get bashed for opening a new topic on the same subject as something that was last discussed a year or so ago...

I have, on the other hand, seen plenty of people bump 1-2 year old topics to the front page by posting something along the lines of "Yeah, I agree with post number 15, he is right and the OP is wrong" which contributes NOTHING to the forums...

I have, on the other hand, seen plenty of people bump 1-2 year old topics to the front page by posting something along the lines of "Yeah, I agree with post number 15, he is right and the OP is wrong" which contributes NOTHING to the forums...

It's especially annoying when post number 15 and OP don't play anymore and haven't since 1.2 dropped.

Which is why I have the second part of my post.

Also, When someone starts a thread on a topic that has been covered before, please refrain from bashing the OP when a similar thread was posted until you see how old those other posts are.
Edited by Baldak

This morning, I was viewing a thread that initially asked about the number rating system for armor, mods, etc.

"78, 34, 180, .. Can we please use more numbers to describe the same level gear." created on Jan 24, 2014 by AugustusCeasar.

Since the initial post, the system has been changed a bit yet someone replied to it yesterday. Adding in a comment to a thread that talks about a situation after it has been changed shows a lack of paying attention.

I have a simple request for posters on the forums. Please check out the date that a post was first made before you reply to it. I realize that some of these older posts mention issues that are still problematic, however, seeing threads on the first few pages that have an initial posting date that is over 2 years old is frustrating, especially in an active forum.

You actually care enough to start a new topic?

May I suggest you get some sense of perspective.

My opinion is that the mods in this game should lock or create a way to lock topics that are more than 6 months old.

This. Once the last post is 6 months old, lock it away. Most of the time there are all kinds of references and comments in there anyway that aren't true anymore for the current state of the game.

Because everything about the game's mechanics and backstory changes every six months so no thread can be relevant after half a year, right?

Why does an older first post date frustrate you so much? There are a few threads that have been fairly active and posted in regularly for over a year (running to dozens of pages*); do you grit your teeth and quietly scream inside when you see one of them?

(Now tempted to set a reminder for myself to post here in August... 2015.)

*Whenever forums allow the number of posts per page to be changed i usually set it to at least quadruple the default, so dozens of pages by my count might be a bit more for others.

Edited by NyxNoxNothing

blame google

Google tells you the date when that thread started..

Searching Swtor legacy yields:

STAR WARS: The Old Republic - Guide to Your Legacy and Your Legacy ...

http://www.swtor.com › ... › New Player Help

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Jan 11, 2012 - 10 posts - ‎4 authors

In Star Wars: The Old Republic, your Legacy is your impact on the server, regardless of which character or faction you play. At this time, we ...

Fastest way to get legacy level xp? 10 posts Mar 1, 2013

What does gaining legacy levels do? 10 posts Jan 16, 2013

Legacy Unlocks and Planning/leveling ... 10 posts Jun 11, 2012

Legacy System 5 posts Jun 7, 2012

Totally blame google for people's lack of reading ability..

I've seen forums where topics that have gone more than 60 days without a response are locked automatically, but still searchable.

This prevents the inevitable Google search pull.

People don't look at dates because the internet is immortal. Nothing ever really dies.

• 2 years later...

100% agree. And thanks for posting this, I really appreciate someone saying so.

I mean, replying to a thread where the first post is 2 years old is bad enough...but when it's the better part of 3 years...that's just silly.

I mean, replying to a thread where the first post is 2 years old is bad enough...but when it's the better part of 3 years...that's just silly.

You win the internets for the day. Funny way to start a Monday morning.

I'm having a hard time telling if the irony was intended or not...

Typically, when I see this happen, the thread is in regards to a topic or issue that is still ongoing. Some people make it to those posts with the Search tool while others might make it there by external search engines and never check the date of the post... and some know exactly what they're doing.

As someone pointed out, it's a lose-lose - you resurrect an old thread to continue a discussion and get players griping at you for necroing or you make a new thread and get players griping at you because the topic had already been discussed.

Personally, I couldn't really care less if someone wants to bump an old thread or make a new one to discuss the game I love. If I'm not interested in a discussion, it takes me half a second to hit the back button on my browser.

I hope someone necros this thread again in a few years.

Edited by Edyn