The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

...opening my wee legs a little wider and trying to enjoy it :)...

I'm gonna leave that one alone *tries very hard to deactivate perv mode*

Honestly, I wasn't even thinking of the bolster, but just all of the cool skills I will obtain later on to make me more effective. It is quite fun being able to take down people more than ten levels higher than me because they aren't using what they have to keep me at bay. Nonetheless, I think I get more laughs when I die than when I win especially if I am running away lol.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh actually, what you can do to help your team even more is to look for and attack the stragglers: those with a wee bit of HP left or the ones who run off by themselves. Got in a good dust-up with a Vanguard and it was extremely close, but my missile spam totally wrecked him. Then he respawned and killed me while I was healing lol.

I wish we were on the same server so we could both have fun times together.

Oh, I am always on the look out for those who proved to be destructible and have only a few thousand HPs left, since I have the lovely ability called Quick Draw and a long, long, looong range on the Slinger :) The Vanguard, not so much, but I haven't had a chance to put him in rotation.

Stick around, and share the tales of glory and not quite :)

Anyway, I looked at the pricing and Augmented my Obroan MH, threw a blue 28 skill augment on it. I'll just swap it once the zone is loaded. It gives Tish a large Expertise boost, but she is losing few points of power, since my beloved Hawkeye stays on her PvE gun. Wealth accumulation is going too slow for the Legacy to afford a 34 barrel still. Somehow, with all the War-zones, I finished Ilum, save for the 2 FPs (WHAT?! WHY?! Argh) and now, I guess I should start Makeb seeing it is better than begging and pleading for an inclusion in an FP group. So, I will end up not knowing what happened to Malgus. Zut.

Edited by DomiSotto

That's sad, but on the bright side, with proper gear and companion - also geared - you can solo those FPs with ease, at least in SM. I do it all the time on my DPS Sorc. :cool:

Never tryed HM though... :rolleyes:

You just need to get on the proper gear lvl. I found 162 for your character is the bare minimum, I struggled a bit myself on that. Since I switched to a few 168-180 pieces in my character's gear, things went surprisingly smooth. Like, from earth to stars. No fear of dying whatsoever.

And my companions of choice are HK in his default gear (118s if I'm not mistaken) and Talos in the lvl 40 PvP Set (96 rating).

Heroic Moment comes very handy there, same goes for Unity. And of course, Legacy Attacks. They deal TONS of dmg. Easy to figure why you can't use them in PvP. :D

...Wealth accumulation is going too slow for the Legacy to afford a 34 barrel still. Somehow, with all the War-zones, I finished Ilum, save for the 2 FPs (WHAT?! WHY?! Argh) and now, I guess I should start Makeb seeing it is better than begging and pleading for an inclusion in an FP group. So, I will end up not knowing what happened to Malgus. Zut.

What crew skills do you have, lass? Besides doing dailies, those can help you bring in some coin if you sell what you reap and craft. Also, if you don't already, you can buy some of those packs from the market and either open them to sell the contents or just sell the packs themselves. Also try the space missions and whatnot, or just run the baby flashpoints over and over to make some coin if you have nothing better to do. I use all of these methods to make a pretty penny so see what works best for you.

As for the flashpoints, I'm not sure how PvP gear translates over to PvE, but those on Ilum aren't bad at all (well to me anyway). When I played on my shadow, she could solo them both with the main man Theran for heals, so if your PvP gear makes you stronger than her, then go for it. Her gear is all, umm, 156 mods with relics and augments all with 156 pieces in them as well. I don't know if it matters, but the gear also says "Artifact" on it as well. I believe once you have over 33k HP you should be fine. Lastly, I think you'll enjoy pounding Malgus into the ground! :3

As for Makeb, I love that place!

As for the flashpoints, I'm not sure how PvP gear translates over to PvE, but those on Ilum aren't bad at all (well to me anyway). When I played on my shadow, she could solo them both with the main man Theran for heals, so if your PvP gear makes you stronger than her, then go for it. Her gear is all, umm, 156 mods with relics and augments all with 156 pieces in them as well. I don't know if it matters, but the gear also says "Artifact" on it as well. I believe once you have over 33k HP you should be fine. Lastly, I think you'll enjoy pounding Malgus into the ground! :3

As for Makeb, I love that place!

Obroan gear (rating 158) is good enough for story mode ops and 55hm flashpoints, at least for dps and healers. A tank in pvp gear for an operation (even story mode) will likely get hassled (and promptly kicked) for being "low" :D

I don't think Obroan (fully augmented) will net in 33k hp, but will be over 30k for sure and noone will bother you over it.

Heroic Moment comes very handy there, same goes for Unity. And of course, Legacy Attacks. They deal TONS of dmg. Easy to figure why you can't use them in PvP. :D

You can't use that on WZs but it does work in "open world". You can duel someone with your companion, pop heroic moment and toss legacy orbital strike with your juggernaut. You won't be able to say it was a legit 1vs1 but who cares :rak_01:

I am actually dropping the HPs from levelling gear to Obroan. In my 156 set I was maximum ~28.5 thou HP in the WZ (less in the levelling) and now I am down to 27.9 thou in the WZ. Did not check what I am in the non-WZ environment, as it was just fine for Ilum, I think it was in 23-24 thou range.

Yeah, I trade GTN (trying to rotate the entire Legacy 1-2x a day), but the only profitable thing is purple mats, and that's only since the conquest started (and will probably drop off very fast). So, dailies/high level planets are a better creds for time ratio. I have the Holy Trinity of the Cyber-Artifice-Armstech & associated gathering skills maxed out to equip my young Legacy (and it is very young and demanding of crafts, mats and gifts). I think my Legacy right now is worth between 4 and 5 mln. I need double this amount to be comfortable with a 1.5 mil purchase. Yes, I know, the all-important Biochem is not maxed, but it is on the level that most of my Legacy is (9/12 characters), been working on it.

The 160+ 's are not going to be in the cards. Not really. I do Flashpoints on a different server with my two friends - that's our Guild runs, lol, since that's the size of our guild. We started pugging the 4th DPS from Mando Raiders onward, but as a solo GF, nah. As far as my 8 paired characters on the main Legacy we'll give it a shot but won't persist if we can't do it after Hammer Station between the 2 PC and 2 Companions.

Again, I am a very poor player, and I am very self-aware of my lack of skill with basic techniques and knowledge of the class skills. My gearing skills are rudimentary as well (primary/secondary stat level).

Anyway, off to try out my new Professional Blaster. Heh, wonder if it is going to give me some killing powerz!

Edited by DomiSotto

Actually, reading all about the lowbie fun, played with my Trooper. It takes forever for the WZ to pop on L14 (well, now L15, heh), so good thing I was on a winning team 2x in a row. Almost done with his weekly now, just 1 wz, win or lose. I am still developing him as a tank atm. Getting a bit more fluid with his abilities, at least, though Pulse Canon is still tricky to channel.

Now I've got Guard, so that's a completely new skill for me for a wz. Is it normally used with the Target Nearest Friend or do you need a more precise targeting on a suffering DPS? Or do you Guard Healers in the wz as opposite to a levelling Group Play seeing the Healers are more likely to be focused and need survivability? And, let's be frank, are far more valuable than I am? I know from my healing Sage that Target Nearest drives me bananas.

Six more levels till deciding on his final fate :)

As far as I know bolster will always give you more hp in comparison to PvP gear due to the lack of damage reduction from expertise. So once you start adding PvP pieces into your page set - stats will go down slightly. I think bother smuggler advanced classes sit at about 28-29k in full obroan. I could be wrong though - I close my eyes and hope for the best when it comes to bolster.

As far as tanking goes; good tanks guard swap to whoever is taking the most damage. Leaving it on player who is being left alone is a waste of guard. And don't forget to taunt. Vanguard tanks are also super fun in hutball; good defense with harpoon and good offense with storm.

I am actually dropping the HPs from levelling gear to Obroan. In my 156 set I was maximum ~28.5 thou HP in the WZ (less in the levelling) and now I am down to 27.9 thou in the WZ. Did not check what I am in the non-WZ environment, as it was just fine for Ilum, I think it was in 23-24 thou range.

Yeah, I trade GTN (trying to rotate the entire Legacy 1-2x a day), but the only profitable thing is purple mats, and that's only since the conquest started (and will probably drop off very fast). So, dailies/high level planets are a better creds for time ratio. I have the Holy Trinity of the Cyber-Artifice-Armstech & associated gathering skills maxed out to equip my young Legacy (and it is very young and demanding of crafts, mats and gifts). I think my Legacy right now is worth between 4 and 5 mln. I need double this amount to be comfortable with a 1.5 mil purchase. Yes, I know, the all-important Biochem is not maxed, but it is on the level that most of my Legacy is (9/12 characters), been working on it.

The 160+ 's are not going to be in the cards. Not really. I do Flashpoints on a different server with my two friends - that's our Guild runs, lol, since that's the size of our guild. We started pugging the 4th DPS from Mando Raiders onward, but as a solo GF, nah. As far as my 8 paired characters on the main Legacy we'll give it a shot but won't persist if we can't do it after Hammer Station between the 2 PC and 2 Companions.

Again, I am a very poor player, and I am very self-aware of my lack of skill with basic techniques and knowledge of the class skills. My gearing skills are rudimentary as well (primary/secondary stat level).

Anyway, off to try out my new Professional Blaster. Heh, wonder if it is going to give me some killing powerz!

Meh, you'll learn your stuff eventually; no sweat mate! Rome wasn't built in a day and for some people it takes awhile to get everything in order, but seeing as you're a good sport and you don't quit, you'll be fine.

Since you have maxed Cybertech, isn't it better to craft your own mods? Isn't that how a lot of peeps tend to have full 186 mods sans going broke (I have only started Cybertech recently - think it is level 25 lol). If you want an idea of what to stack and how much, why not try this:

They list the stats by classes and whether or not it's DPS or it's secondary skillset (assuming it has one). You can always play around there and see what works for you (for me since I'm always a healer, I just stack my main stat and lotsa power and alacrity!). Honestly, I think if you just read through all of the stat descriptions you can easily figure out what is best for how you play.

One other thing you can do (if you have it) is to practice on those ship dummies so you can learn what skill does what and how it looks, or just run Esseles/Black Talon over and over to learn them.

You can't use that on WZs but it does work in "open world". You can duel someone with your companion, pop heroic moment and toss legacy orbital strike with your juggernaut. You won't be able to say it was a legit 1vs1 but who cares :rak_01:

Pffffft, a win is a win. As you said, who cares how you did it? Funny enough, I always thought people would run out of a reticle when it appears on the ground, thereby making Orbital Strike and Lightning Storm useless, but in the scant few PvP matches I engaged in, no one ran out of mine when they were at the door trying to get the objective completed. No wonder I got 42 kills lmao.

Since you have maxed Cybertech, isn't it better to craft your own mods? Isn't that how a lot of peeps tend to have full 186 mods sans going broke (I have only started Cybertech recently - think it is level 25 lol). If you want an idea of what to stack and how much, why not try this:

That's what I do, but the schematics above 156 are not obtainable through my level of play. The higher schematics are obtainable iirc through ops, world bosses and other stuff that is beyond my poor ability. So, I can do 156's and that's it. :)

And I just read Dulfy for what to stack :)

Edited by DomiSotto

Oookay, today was a really weird day. I had:

1) A default win in Novare, when the other team stayed just long enough to kick off the warzone and quit. For a while we were getting the warnings that the zone is going to be cancelled, but I guess, they managed to stick to it for long enough eventually. We harvested those odd medals for winning in less than 4 min and so on. Huh?

2) Alderaan Civil War were I wished I could vote for every guy on my team, 'cause we stack it out till the end 6 to their 8 with 2 pre-mades drunk on dragon-blood or something. Losing felt good. The opposite team was brilliant. They reacted immediately, and redeployed crazy fast, and basically were untouchable. My biggest achievement in that one was managing a High Tail to prologue my death throws once.

3) And, finally, I saw my first Huttball match where the tie was broke by who holds the ball rule (unfortunately wasn't us). 4:4, so a close hard-played game.

But we won a normal Quesh-ball, so that's my 6 points, I think.

And, my valor is 38, so I should hit the Big 40 before the week is out and swap my relics finally :) YAY!

Also, started Makeb in my combo of 5 Obroan pieces and the rest mostly PvE L53 purples, and I basically can spit so far and the mobs are going down. Yay! I mean, BioWARE, that's too easy... ha-ha! Right. I am sure I will have my behind handed over to me any minute now. :)

Lol, I had a sorta weird one too just this minute. As soon as I logged in I figured, "hey why not queue for a warzone on your hot-off-the-press Sniper"? As soon as I hit the button, I got into one: the hypergate. Funny thing is, the match was already in progress, so I waited a few seconds and them jumped in.

Lo and behold, here are the results:p:

http://i62.tinypic.com/epooz4.png

I've never floored opponents so fast! I can't wait to get me other skills to see what a Sniper can really do! Not only was I able to pick apart my opponents from afar, but even when I got up close I was still amazing. Also, that Flash Bang grenade really makes a difference when your team is being hounded, since it stops everyone it touches in their tracks allowing my other teammates to not only catch up, but to help destroy and heal up as well.

I think I prefer to use guns in this game over lightsabres, and so far I think the sniper is going to be my favourite. I've never had it so easy before in a warzone compared to the Sorceress and the Mercenary. Not only that, since I am only level 11 and my favourite character is the Operative/Scoundrel, the Sniper seems pretty spot on. I am so accustomed to being a healer or having stealth, that I wasn't sure if I would like it (due to it being pure DPS), but after reading the skill trees before bed last night, I am truly excited about staying on this for the long haul.:D

That's what I do, but the schematics above 156 are not obtainable through my level of play. The higher schematics are obtainable iirc through ops, world bosses and other stuff that is beyond my poor ability. So, I can do 156's and that's it. :)

And I just read Dulfy for what to stack :)

In regards to the world bosses, just do what I do and spam general for help. I usually will get a few peeps to help me and then off we go to kick some butt. If it's a boss that is, err, like Nar Shaddaa level or below you can solo it no problem (and don't gimme no lip about your ability - I'm sure you're fine mate).

First time doing Novare Coast and we lost after holding onto the top spot for so long, lmao:

http://i59.tinypic.com/332nhbn.png

What I liked about this match was that I was able to get some good shots in (pun not intended) even though I died seven times. I went up against a level 29 Sorcerer forgetting that I am level 13 lol. But I managed to get sweet revenge after I put his brain on the floor with a well placed Ambush. Hearing the poof from my MR-38 Sniper Rifle and watching his HP vanish was so worth the pounding I received during our one-on-one lol.

I am a bit confused about the cover system but I'll work it out eventually. All in all, the match was fun since everyone was at each other's throats, and not only that, a few times I got singled out and almost murdered, but I used my 35 metre slow along with a retreating fire and I was able to hold off two opponents until a Juggernaut intervened and then we happily pounded them.

Ok, four more to go for my Weekly. Here goes nothing!

Yay we won:

http://i60.tinypic.com/kd79ja.png

The enemy had a Sniper too so I managed to earn my "Counter-Sniper" thingie. But man was she dangerous as hell. She sat on top of one of the areas overlooking the console and started to lay waste to anyone who got close. So I made it my job to screw up her job lol. All in all it was a good fight. One time an Assassin blasted her clear off the platform and into my bullets. That was pure sweetness!

I also played ring-around-the-rosies with a Sorcerer lol. I had just finished killing one of his mates and was low on HP when he first targeted me, so I kept going around the pylon until he caught up and blasted me. I never laughed so hard lol.

A Mercenary and myself defended one of the consoles for about a few minutes against an Assassin and a, errr, lightsabre user (it was from the Warrior class) after we took it from the aforementioned Sniper and a different Sorcerer. Once I saw that we had it, I made my way over to the central console to help take it back. I got in a few hits and got mauled a couple of times and then it ended.

What I like is that after the Victory/Defeat display appears, you can still attack so I use it to get in some "goodbye hits", lmao.

Whelp, two more to go (or one if I get lucky ^.^).

Muahahahahha another win and this time it was Novare (take that you pubs!):

http://i59.tinypic.com/fmphsk.png

This one was fun because after I slaughtered the enemy gunslinger and was trying my best to retreat (or rather turn around) a Shadow clobbered me before I could face it. QQ I did manage to kill a sneaky Commando who decided to stay on the top part of his area and run to the edge only to shoot. I hit him with my DoT then sat and watched as his HP ticked away. After I saw a Mercenary go off to the side to get a better shot at him (and interrupt his healing in the process) I followed suit and hit him with the DoT again. Then we blasted dat mofo, lmao.

A Sentinel rushed me so I hit him with my slow, and did my retreating fire until I had some room, then I went into Cover so I could use my other skills to finish him off. When he came at me again, as soon as my stun wore off, an Assassin stunned him again then stabbed his backside good.

No one in this match gave me any trouble (like the Sniper before), and I only got dead twice which isn't bad. I was only one kill away from the top spot and two spots down from the top damage. I think once I gather more skills I should be able to hold the top spot in at least one category one of these days. :)

Glad you are enjoying the Sniper! From my Gunslinger experience, cover is important in a warzone, because they can't leap you and can't lasso you. From the rotation PoV, when you are 45+, you need to be in cover at least on the DoT spec to put out your full damage.

And, thank you for the vote of confidence, but I am really that bad. :)

Harbinger was broke, so I just now checked with a baited breath, and OMG, I did not have anything rolled back on Tishujen. Blaster is there, and my Valor is still 38. So, fingers crossed I can finish her PvP journey this week, and play Tageren the Undecided Vanguard from that point onward in the zones. I will be focusing more on the class stories now, as I am starting to want to finish most of them by the time this 6 months cycle of sub expires.

Edited by DomiSotto

I am glad you mentioned Cover because there is still something I do not quite comprehend. Now the tooltips state the following:

Take Cover

Roll into the selected cover point. If no cover point is available, you will crouch in place. Taking cover allows the use of cover-only abilities, and so long as you remain down behind a cover object, most ranged attackers strike your cover instead.

Crouch

Crouches in place, taking cover behind an object that provides cover. Crouching enables the use of cover-only abilities, and so long as you remain down behind a cover object, most ranged attackers strike your cover instead.

Hold Position

While in cover, ranged defense is increased by 20%, you cannot be leapt to nor pulled, you are immune to interrupts and ability activation pushback.

Now here is my problem: When I have my cover deployed (that is, the red shield thingie) or I am hiding behind an object, I would have to assume that Hold Position is currently active. That means that I should be immune to interrupts, pushback, leaps, and pulls, but does that only apply while I am crouched or as long as I have the icon stating that I am in "cover"?

See the thing is, when I do Black Talon, the skinny Twi'lek Jedi is able to yank me out of cover all of the time. Also, while I was doing Novare Coast, the Juggernaut I was trading blows with was able to leap to me many times. Is this due to the fact that I was standing because I was charging Snipe? I find that to be quite odd as while I am charging that skill or Ambush, the other immunities (pushback and interrupt) still apply. The only two that don't are pulls and leaps.

So granted you have experience with a Gunslinger, can you elaborate?

I am glad you mentioned Cover because there is still something I do not quite comprehend. Now the tooltips state the following:

Take Cover

Roll into the selected cover point. If no cover point is available, you will crouch in place. Taking cover allows the use of cover-only abilities, and so long as you remain down behind a cover object, most ranged attackers strike your cover instead.

Crouch

Crouches in place, taking cover behind an object that provides cover. Crouching enables the use of cover-only abilities, and so long as you remain down behind a cover object, most ranged attackers strike your cover instead.

Hold Position

While in cover, ranged defense is increased by 20%, you cannot be leapt to nor pulled, you are immune to interrupts and ability activation pushback.

Now here is my problem: When I have my cover deployed (that is, the red shield thingie) or I am hiding behind an object, I would have to assume that Hold Position is currently active. That means that I should be immune to interrupts, pushback, leaps, and pulls, but does that only apply while I am crouched or as long as I have the icon stating that I am in "cover"?

See the thing is, when I do Black Talon, the skinny Twi'lek Jedi is able to yank me out of cover all of the time. Also, while I was doing Novare Coast, the Juggernaut I was trading blows with was able to leap to me many times. Is this due to the fact that I was standing because I was charging Snipe? I find that to be quite odd as while I am charging that skill or Ambush, the other immunities (pushback and interrupt) still apply. The only two that don't are pulls and leaps.

Hold position applies if you are crouching (red shield) or behind an object, as for the Jedi, it's a glitch, just like rocket troopers on Alderaan knocking you out of cover with Entrench active

Also the first ability in the rage tree (both jugs and maras) is a 10 meter leap that works against targets in cover.

Take Cover

Crouch

Hold Position

Crouch and cover are more or less the same thing for snipers/slingers.

Yes, hold position is only active when you're in cover (keep in mind you can still be stunned though). Rage and focus specc warriors/knights get a second leap ability that can be used on in cover - but it has a 10m max range. And certain pve mobs ignore the push/pull immunity - don't know why.

Well, the charge while in cover can have two explanations.

One, the Jug - or Marauder, or any mirror class - is Focus/Rage speeced. Their second charge works with targets in cover and has a 10m range.

The second one is that a Gunslinger/Sniper in the L tree - Marksman for Snipers - could have thrown a Diversion to you, the smoking grenade. That inhibits your cover for a limited amount of time, thus actually making you get out of it. :p

I use it quite often in Novare Coast or Alderaan Civil War if anotehr Sniper/Gunslinger entrenches there to prevent us from capping, so our chargers can get to him and smash him down. :D

As for the mobs' pulls, those are mechanics, afaik. As such, it'd be unfair if one class over the others could be totally immune to it, don't you think? ;)

Still, you can avoid that for a limited time with Entrench - unsure of the name for Gunslingers, sorry. That makes you immune to stuns, CCs, pushes and pulls. Lasts 20 secs if I recall and only works while in cover.

It's also extremely useful while on guard duty, or if you get focused. The fact you're immune to stuns usually makes it hard for stealths - which you should see anyway, but that WILL try to stealth CC you - to remain close to the node you're guarding without being attacked and usually killed.

To make an example, on my Sniper in Hypergates I'm 90% of times guarding. Since I'm Marksman speeced, I have a 23 secs Entrench with lowered CD, can't remember how long it is though. Still, I use it and time it so that the CD will finish at 30 secs from the discharge, so I can't be CCed until it's too late for the other team to cap. I picked a few talents from other trees, like the one that heals while in cover, to make it even harder for a lone stealther to kill me there. And as such, it's pretty rare for stealths to cap our pylon. But everyone has to find his or her way, so take this lightly. :)

Edited by Cox_The_Beast

...The second one is that a Gunslinger/Sniper in the L tree - Marksman for Snipers - could have thrown a Diversion to you, the smoking grenade. That inhibits your cover for a limited amount of time, thus actually making you get out of it. :p...

Thing is, I was alone versus the Juggernaut so it wasn't an intercept by the other Sniper present. It must have been the Rage spec.

So far I have most of my points in the Engineering tree, with a few points in Marksman to get the cover protection bonus. As soon as I advanced and read the skills, I knew the first one I wanted to have would be the one that heals me while in cover (yes, I can't help meself when it comes to healing lol). I believe there is one other skill I fancy within the Marksman tree, then I will probably stay within the Engineering tree or go over to the Lethality tree since I like using DoTs a lot.