Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

housing got decoration hooks :((

brutall

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it can only be better because LOTRO is one of the worse and most disappointing housing systems ever created.

Placement hooks restrict a player's creativity. In other MMO's I have seen some amazing decorating ideas with free form placement.

This is being serious housing: clicky

More great housing here

Compared to that SWTOR system blows.

this is what i want!!! give us the option to turn off hooks and its a win win! for EA

You know it's not possible to turn off the hooks. If they could have done it that way, they would have. So, why bother? The answer isn't going to change.

Come to terms with the fact that you can't break the game.

You know it's not possible to turn off the hooks. If they could have done it that way, they would have. So, why bother? The answer isn't going to change.

People just don't get it. Bioware isn't going to let you smash a vase into the floor and stick a hat on it.

Boo freakin hoo. If they don't like it, they can play a different housing simulator.

Edited by Arkerus

People just don't get it. Bioware isn't going to let you smash a vase into the floor and stick a hat on it.

Boo freakin hoo. If they don't like it, they can play a different housing simulator.

whats wrong with wanting more? dont tell me it cant be done plenty off mmo got it right and yes i have played around with them. but its not starwars! and if they would do it now is the best time to ask for it before they put it out at lest now they can take a look and see if they can do it

whats wrong with wanting more? dont tell me it cant be done plenty off mmo got it right and yes i have played around with them. but its not starwars! and if they would do it now is the best time to ask for it before they put it out at lest now they can take a look and see if they can do it

You can want it all you like, but you're wasting your time and ours by repeatedly saying the same thing over and again.

It's barely...barely...one step above of a whining child in the backseat repeatedly whining "But I want onnnneeee" endlessly when told that they can't have a cookie.

Actually they could. They openly stated during the first minutes of the live stream video that they went the hook system because it was easier for casual gamer.

Then technically it's more complex to add the hook system than free placement.

Also positioning items with the hook system is more painful than without it as you have to

1. First select a type of hook
  2. Select a hook
  3. Drop your object into it
  4. Finally tweak it's relative position to the hook

That's at least two more steps than only dropping an item and setting x, y, z positions.

Also there's a huge issue with the hook system: if you change the type of hook layout all the items dropped in the area are pulled off. So you have to start from scratch for this area. Versus with a free placement you can add or remove items without disturbing any other furniture.

The hook system is more set for symmetric layout and does not works well for all items.

For example they dropped a couch and they were unable to drop a table in the middle because there was no hook there but one on the left and one on the right.

Finally from the video you can see like 30% ish of the area is out of the hooks limits and the hooks are mostly in the middle of the floor too.

You can want it all you like, but you're wasting your time and ours by repeatedly saying the same thing over and again.

Your time is only being wasted if you keep reading and replying to this thread ...

If you consider your time so valuable, why not exercise something known as "restraint" and only visit threads you think are worthwhile?

Your time is only being wasted if you keep reading and replying to this thread ...

If you consider your time so valuable, why not exercise something known as "restraint" and only visit threads you think are worthwhile?

I 'do' and yet, here we are, seeing the same people making the same demands that they know won't be granted. You'd think that they'd get the hint after the first twenty times.

I 'do' and yet, here we are, seeing the same people making the same demands that they know won't be granted. You'd think that they'd get the hint after the first twenty times.

Why is it so important to you to stop people from asking for features to be added to the game?

It's not like developers are required to do something just because it's posted here.

It's barely...barely...one step above of a whining child in the backseat repeatedly whining "But I want onnnneeee" endlessly when told that they can't have a cookie.

How are we wasting YOUR time????

Is it your solemn sworn oath and duty to read our posts?

Just put us on ignore and never feel all that wasted time ever again. :)

This is being serious housing: clicky

More great housing here

Compared to that SWTOR system blows.

That is awesome!

Now that's what I'm talking about. People out of their mind thinking outside the box making some incredible creations.

Thanks for the links.

I knew it, I knew that they were going to do this, a hooks system worthy of an old mmo while Aion and Rift offer a valid housing system in which we can place our objects where we want.

I hope they will change it, and change the outfit system, otherwise Swtor will continue to be a temporary game until there's a good mmo able to offer PvE servers, the possibility to play relatively solo with a bit of effort on the features and the immersion.

To me the Rift System is a little too much. Since you can rotate, resize and move anything in three-dimensional space you sometimes have to work at just getting something to sit on the ground properly. It kinda works for the magical, more natural setting. However in SWTOR there would be few things that would make sense to be able to resize or make float in mid air. Make it possible for those few things but I'd be good with an open free placement field on the floor, walls and ceiling.

You do realize this applies to both sides of the argument, right? Both the pro and con sides are guilty of this.

If they are wasting time then I am absolutely positive that you folks are doing exactly the same thing.

Some of us are very passionate about housing and would love to see SWTOR do something great. I think most of us realise Bioware won't decide to make a free placement system for us at this stage but maybe they can expand the off sets a bit.

Some of us are very passionate about housing and would love to see SWTOR do something great. I think most of us realise Bioware won't decide to make a free placement system for us at this stage but maybe they can expand the off sets a bit.

You realize that the "hooks" are very liberal. Just because you can't staple your couch to the ceiling doesn't mean that the system is "limiting" Basically all the hooks do is limit the arrangements to reasonable layouts. i.e. no floating furniture and whatnot.

Well, as I suggested, they could perhaps allow us a few "free floating" hooks that we could place, they could be moved around, positioned in air, on top of other furniture items, etc....then we lock them in place and use them.

When we want to move them we would have to unlock them. This way they remain static when being used, but have the ability to be moved when we want to move them somewhere.

This would be a good compromise IMO. They do not have to even provide that many...perhaps 5 or 6 small ones per room that can be moved around. We could even pay to unlock them in some way.

You realize that the "hooks" are very liberal. Just because you can't staple your couch to the ceiling doesn't mean that the system is "limiting" Basically all the hooks do is limit the arrangements to reasonable layouts. i.e. no floating furniture and whatnot.

That is completely false. It wouldn't be so bad if objects had hooks on them to but they don't.

I don't think bioware will make a moving hook. The best we can hope for is them adding a Z axis offset and removing the limit on the offsets.

Items are already limited to where they can go (floor, ceiling, walls) without hooks. Hooks add additional limitation in that items must be placed within an area. There seems to be a little bit of wiggle room slightly over the borders but you can't place something right where a border is.

DCUO does it right. You can place a couch anywhere on the floor if there is space, like you could in a real room. But you can't place it on the wall or ceiling or have it floating in space or have it stand on one end.

Edited by Mozepy
spelling

:eek: We don't want hooks we want freedom! :mad::wea_03::csw_vader::csw_yoda::csw_jabba::csw_atat::w_mad::w_evil:
i

i second this! what if they gave us complete freedom with in the hooks that you can place stuff on stuff like a lamp on a desk will at lest be better then this. but full freedom!!! :rak_03: me want

It seems BioWare takes the players for ******* as they wanted the "common" player to understand their decorating system. BW seriously... if you really want to put in an effort start by removing the hook system and give the people their freedom, this whole update seems rushed as almost all the content, i even wish they would blow the fleet to bits and place all the vendors on Kaas and Coruscant

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.