What's really going to kill GSF if we let it go on.

tommmsunb

Leaving in the middle of a losing match is not good mojo. Just because you're losing doesn't mean you should leave. (Which gives you a loss anyway if you're so concerned about your win%) Games can turn around, people can get lazy in defending nodes, if you always give it your all instead of looking for easy wins when you can get them you'll find yourself enjoying yourself 1000% more when you come out of that underdog position.

This may sound isolated but this happened with 8 different well-known individuals who I will not name on Ebon Hawk and Harbinger today alone and this has happened before. I understand if you're leaving because you think the other team doesn't have a chance and you want to balance the teams, I also understand if life gets in the way. Please don't kill this game for yourself as well as the rest of us.

Edited by tommmsunb

This may sound isolated but this happened with 8 different well-known individuals who I will not name on Ebon Hawk and Harbinger today alone and this has happened before.

Screw that, call them out.

"Hey you, I saw you leave the game early the other day. What's wrong, couldn't hang with the big boys =P You can dish it out all the time, but the second you start losing, you have to forfeit? Aww, what's wrong? You want a tissue? You gonna cry?"

These people need to be publicly humiliated. Fear of shame is the best method to keep people playing.

Edited by Kalphitis

Crap I'll play devil's advocate here.

Why should anyone have to suffer through a match they feel will be nothing but torture ? I see people leave terribad matches all the time and most of the time, I can't work up the enthusiasm to get upset about it. People play this game for fun and more often than not the matchmaker hands them ****burgers that it calls a game.

Just for example, Oh wow there are the 8 best (pick faction) pilots there and their entire side has 5 ships, oh I am the only guy on my side with 5. Well maybe the guys on my team know what they are doing ??

Hmmm three people just crashed into the cap ship at spawn.

I can't fault anyone for leaving what will likely be 10 minutes of being focused fired by most of the enemy team.

Edited by General_Brass

Why should anyone have to suffer through a match they feel will be nothing but torture ? I see people leave terribad matches all the time and most of the time, I can't work up the enthusiasm to get upset about it. People play this game for fun and more often than not the matchmaker hands them ****burgers that it calls a game.

Just for example, Oh wow there are the 8 best (pick faction) pilots there and their entire side has 5 ships, oh I am the only guy on my side with 5. Well maybe the guys on my team know what they are doing ??

I can't fault anyone for leaving what will likely be 10 minutes of being focused fired by most of the enemy team.

Well if they are smart they can learn from the loss. no one is perfect so flying in crap conditions and causing the team to have to deal with at least 1 head ache can and will sharpen your skills and wont allow you to rust from easy game after easy game.

I have had times when I know a premade is on the other side, cus I am in Mumble with them and qued any way because i need to keep the skills sharp and need to sharpen other skills. Cant get lazy farming noobs all day so sometimes takeing a beating is the best way to sharpen those survival skills and those kill while surviving skills.

Sometimes people get overwhelmed by the other team and feel that it may be better to get another pilot in there if they leave, I know I have had to leave a few games because something came up with my kids at home fighting or got hurt playing ect. Do I feel bad about it? No, I don't. Even if my team is in the lead, if I have to leave a match to deal with something that is beyond my control, so be it.

I can 't count how many times on my server getting a queue with mostly new pilots, and getting roflstomped by some of the best pub pilots, having teammates drop like flies from a match, usually the junior pilots, don't really see that from the vets all that much. I've never raged quit from a gsf match due to an eventual painfull loss, and never plan to if I can help it.

Edited by Nomaad
error

I can 't count how many times on my server getting a queue with mostly new pilots, and getting roflstomped by some of the best pub pilots, having teammates drop like flies from a match, usually the junior pilots, don't really see that from the vets all that much.

Interestingly, my experience is exactly the reverse. New pilots usually stay in a completely one-sided match, and even try to queue again after the roflstomp (sadly often only to get roflstomped again), while the vast majority of "aces" or veterans drop as soon as they see the odds stacked against them, mostly before the match even starts. It's quite possible that it is just ignorance (of things to come) what prevents the new pilots to abandon a match; however, that does not change the fact that on my server, the captains love to leave the ship first.

The aces have a lot more to lose in such a game. Ex: if the enemy team is one ace and eleven food, I bet you know you're going to just hunt that ace because you can. Not everyone will do this, but it is common enough that you may be looking at a game where you'll have four pilots chasing you on spawn while the rest of your team can't even be arsed to type words.

The aces have a lot more to lose in such a game. Ex: if the enemy team is one ace and eleven food, I bet you know you're going to just hunt that ace because you can. Not everyone will do this, but it is common enough that you may be looking at a game where you'll have four pilots chasing you on spawn while the rest of your team can't even be arsed to type words.

I call these zoom zoom matches, cuz I'll hop in my scout and practice for the kessel run. I don't fault someone who is grouped with a bunch of novices and is up against a team of people with names you recognize as solid opposition dropping that group. That being said, I use those matches to fly something that isn't my gunship. Less pew pew, more zoom zoom = decent way to waste 5 minutes

No what's *really* going to kill GSF is the 5-ship pilots vs the 2-ship newbies not playing nice. I'm not suggesting that you let the newbies kill you or let them win the match, but if they cannot learn how to play they will not continue to play. And there goes the population down the drain.

Handicap yourselves somehow meaningful but that won't affect the overall outcome of the game. Instead of using your mastered Flashfire/Quarrel/OtherFavShip, try a drone carrier bomber and ONLY USE LASERS! You'll still win vs noobs, but they will learn the basics of chasing someone (as a bomber you cannot out-maneuver them so fast that they won't know what's happening) and perhaps they'll come back for more. Once you have seen the same pilot's name in several matches, start throwing in some missile locks and make them learn how to evade.

There are many ways to handicap yourselves without changing the outcome. I challenge you all to come up with your own ways and have little competitions in those matches to see how you can do. If you are one of "those pilots" who only brings one ship to the fight (I'm looking at you, Scrab), suck it up and bring the one you hate the most, and learn it - you'll become a better pilot for it.

We, as a community, are the primary factor in new players having a fun (note I did not say successful, that will come as they learn the game) experience in the beginning. This is the only thing that will keep them coming back for more matches. Who knows maybe you'll make a new friend and become a new pilot's mentor.

When you know the outcome of the match based on pilot names/ship count, don't fly like your life depends on destroying the opposition, because if you do... you will.

No what's *really* going to kill GSF is the 5-ship pilots vs the 2-ship newbies not playing nice. I'm not suggesting that you let the newbies kill you or let them win the match, but if they cannot learn how to play they will not continue to play. And there goes the population down the drain.

Handicap yourselves somehow meaningful but that won't affect the overall outcome of the game. Instead of using your mastered Flashfire/Quarrel/OtherFavShip, try a drone carrier bomber and ONLY USE LASERS! You'll still win vs noobs, but they will learn the basics of chasing someone (as a bomber you cannot out-maneuver them so fast that they won't know what's happening) and perhaps they'll come back for more. Once you have seen the same pilot's name in several matches, start throwing in some missile locks and make them learn how to evade.

There are many ways to handicap yourselves without changing the outcome. I challenge you all to come up with your own ways and have little competitions in those matches to see how you can do. If you are one of "those pilots" who only brings one ship to the fight (I'm looking at you, Scrab), suck it up and bring the one you hate the most, and learn it - you'll become a better pilot for it.

We, as a community, are the primary factor in new players having a fun (note I did not say successful, that will come as they learn the game) experience in the beginning. This is the only thing that will keep them coming back for more matches. Who knows maybe you'll make a new friend and become a new pilot's mentor.

When you know the outcome of the match based on pilot names/ship count, don't fly like your life depends on destroying the opposition, because if you do... you will.

The new players I know that continue to play don't continue to play the game because they won, they continue because they like the flight mechanics or think its cool to fly in a spaceship. I got tells from a bunch of people imp side TEH asking me how they can get better and that they had all died 12 times in a domination but really wanted to give it a try. It's the "self-proclaimed aces" who are bad and quit. If you quit after your first match you're probably not the kind of person who would have continued on to become a good pilot had they won it.

Edited by tommmsunb

I understand it, and no, I don't really fault these people, but I don't condone it and I've never done it myself (though I'd be lying if I said I'd never considered it).

One good thing that's come out of matches like this: I've connected with some folks and made some new GSF friends this way. A couple weeks ago I was on the wrong end of a 50-10 drubbing. The rest of my team was almost entirely 2-3 ship noobs. I think I had 8 of those 10 kills, which would be fine, except for the 8 deaths. Anyway, post-match, two separate guys whispered me and asked for tips, since I was clearly the one individual on our team who seemed to have a clue. I gave them a couple brief pointers and directed them both to this forum, and now they're on my friends list and I fly with them somewhat frequently. They've already gotten a LOT better. So, in part thanks to my participation in that painful match, our side now has another couple of competent pilots, rather than another two folks scared away from GSF because of the steep learning curve. Sure, maybe they would have kept at it without my help, but I'd like to think I had some role in their decision to continue flying.

This kind of thing doesn't happen every day, but it isn't all that unusual.

The new players I know that continue to play don't continue to play the game because they won, they continue because they like the flight mechanics or think its cool to fly in a spaceship. I got tells from a bunch of people imp side TEH asking me how they can get better and that they had all died 12 times in a domination but really wanted to give it a try. It's the "self-proclaimed aces" who are bad and quit. If you quit after your first match you're probably not the kind of person who would have continued on to become a good pilot had they won it.

Try reading my post again.

I never said let them win.

I said give them a chance to learn the game.

One good thing that's come out of matches like this: I've connected with some folks and made some new GSF friends this way. A couple weeks ago I was on the wrong end of a 50-10 drubbing. The rest of my team was almost entirely 2-3 ship noobs. I think I had 8 of those 10 kills, which would be fine, except for the 8 deaths. Anyway, post-match, two separate guys whispered me and asked for tips, since I was clearly the one individual on our team who seemed to have a clue. I gave them a couple brief pointers and directed them both to this forum, and now they're on my friends list and I fly with them somewhat frequently. They've already gotten a LOT better. So, in part thanks to my participation in that painful match, our side now has another couple of competent pilots, rather than another two folks scared away from GSF because of the steep learning curve. Sure, maybe they would have kept at it without my help, but I'd like to think I had some role in their decision to continue flying.

This kind of thing doesn't happen every day, but it isn't all that unusual.

This is exactly the fringe case that causes people to become better. I get 2-3 tells a day across my characters asking for tips or tricks. But that number skyrockets if I choose to play solo against pre-mades. My advice usually contains loadouts, thought processes and telling them to make friends and form pre-mades.

This is actually one of my favorite scenarios to play personally and it only seldom happens. Those games are technically still winnable. You just need to always keep moving from node to node and have some form of bomber clearing build.

This is a noble attitude, and good for the community in general but so hard to enforce. Once that blood is in the water is hard to get that feeding frenzy to stop.

I have left few times. The reason was not that we were losing badly. The reason usually was something like this. At the start, i notice that we have almost all new players. So, 3 of the veteran players put the game plan in the chat. For example, Lets cap A and B first. Scouts run to A and B and hold it till bombers get there. And so on. Guess what, as soon as the match starts all the new players (last Saturday, all 9 new players) run to "C". The remaining 2 veterans cap B and the third veteran got smoked at A. Now we issue another set of instructions, e.g. so and so stay on B, rest go to A. And only 2 new players and one veteran goes to A, get smoked. All this while the remaining 7 new players are hovering at B (which we capped). In the end I tell them to listen but to no avail. So, I get frustrated, say good luck and leave.

Now you can say whatever you want about me, but if you are new player, run few tutorials, ask the experienced players how to do so and so. I know, I did when I started playing GSF. I used to ask the top players after every match what I did wrong or what they did to get good scores. And guess what, every single person helped me in one way or other.

So, I will leave if new players are not listening and making the match not fun for me. I paid $15/month and I refuse to pander to stupids.

/ranting off

I have left few times. The reason was not that we were losing badly. The reason usually was something like this. At the start, i notice that we have almost all new players. So, 3 of the veteran players put the game plan in the chat. For example, Lets cap A and B first. Scouts run to A and B and hold it till bombers get there. And so on. Guess what, as soon as the match starts all the new players (last Saturday, all 9 new players) run to "C". The remaining 2 veterans cap B and the third veteran got smoked at A. Now we issue another set of instructions, e.g. so and so stay on B, rest go to A. And only 2 new players and one veteran goes to A, get smoked. All this while the remaining 7 new players are hovering at B (which we capped). In the end I tell them to listen but to no avail. So, I get frustrated, say good luck and leave.

Now you can say whatever you want about me, but if you are new player, run few tutorials, ask the experienced players how to do so and so. I know, I did when I started playing GSF. I used to ask the top players after every match what I did wrong or what they did to get good scores. And guess what, every single person helped me in one way or other.

So, I will leave if new players are not listening and making the match not fun for me. I paid $15/month and I refuse to pander to stupids.

/ranting off

This is single-handily the most frustrating part of this game. Some players just do not listen, and the team suffers from it. It's like the active seek out remaining silent. No problem with you quitting for this reason - I don't even mind the lose if people are talking and engaging and trying.... but what we've seen isn't the case

Edited by SammyGStatus

The only reason I leave matches (and this applies to warzones, not just GSF) is because if the group is full of idiots? There's no point. No one player can win the match on their own. It is a "team" effort and if the team is failing, why hitch yourself to that wagon? It's less of a pain to leave the match, wait a minute or two, then requeue and try to get into a group that doesn't suck out loud rather than suffering through a bunch of morons who don't know which end of the blaster is pointed at the enemy.

This is actually one of my favorite scenarios to play personally and it only seldom happens. Those games are technically still winnable. You just need to always keep moving from node to node and have some form of bomber clearing build.

LOL you obviously have never had the deck stacked heavily against you by the matchmaker.

Sometimes people get overwhelmed by the other team and feel that it may be better to get another pilot in there if they leave, I know I have had to leave a few games because something came up with my kids at home fighting or got hurt playing ect. Do I feel bad about it? No, I don't. Even if my team is in the lead, if I have to leave a match to deal with something that is beyond my control, so be it.

I can 't count how many times on my server getting a queue with mostly new pilots, and getting roflstomped by some of the best pub pilots, having teammates drop like flies from a match, usually the junior pilots, don't really see that from the vets all that much. I've never raged quit from a gsf match due to an eventual painfull loss, and never plan to if I can help it.

What server are you talking about? I agree with you, I never quit even if I'm teamed with noobs, instead offering helpful advice is a better option. Yes, you can chat more when you are clearly losing. L33t can look even cooler by passing on their secrets!

Be cool, don't quit. Otherwise your teammates will think you're 12 and your mom called you to take out the trash :o

What server are you talking about? I agree with you, I never quit even if I'm teamed with noobs, instead offering helpful advice is a better option. Yes, you can chat more when you are clearly losing. L33t can look even cooler by passing on their secrets!

Be cool, don't quit. Otherwise your teammates will think you're 12 and your mom called you to take out the trash :o

Most of the people I think in this thread are from The Ebon Hawk server. I know I have left a few matchs some after basically giving directions, and toatlly ignored or told to shut the <bleep> up. On top of that usually the only main veteran pilot on my side and I am being put on farm duty because I fly mainly a gunship, yes everything I own is stock but my Mangler. Since this was posted yesterday and not Sunday then he wouldn't been referring to me, since I left a match after he got a DO not 5 seconds into the match against two veterans and 6 rookies and his team had 6 veterans and 2 experienced pilots and started to farm us.

Couple that and having a bad day on Mothers day I was in no way going to get farmed. Missed my raids + dog got out and got covered in ticks chasing it thru the backwoods and marshes. I always solo que and rarely do I end up in even matchs because of that. I don't group much because I want to do other things while waiting for a match every 30-45 minutes. Yes grouping will get me matchs alot faster but I prefer my pve part of the game over pvp. When you get 5 fps in combat I fly the 1 ship I don't have to worry about that issue and thats the gunship. Least I finally have a win loss ratio in the 30% range now, but losing alot will bring you down.

Edited by Zohkar

I've only ever left a match for real-life problems --- kids, dogs, people at the door, dropped connections etc. I'd rather people LEAVE a match than sit there not contributing, or purposely trying to end the game by crashing.

I know aces who WILL leave a match if the enemy ships are all blaster fodder. Scrab - Mr one scout - is one of them actually.

I face pre-mades with the "We who are about to die, salute you!" attitude. I fly mostly imp so this happens a lot. It helps to have a realistic attitude about your K/D and other stats. I really couldn't care less about the numbers -- like other people have said, I care about learning to get better. That involves dying sometimes.

Good pilots kill a lot of people and take objectives. GREAT pilots fly even when the odds are stacked, hand out tips to those who ask, and try to make the game worth playing.

I left a during a match once. Frustration got the better of me at the beginning, solo queuing came across jen's preform with a lot of good pilots. Got pressed hard in the first minute or so and immediately quit. It was a decision I regretted ever since, when I popped over to vent the competition was much surprised (seeing my name hoping for some dogfights or something) only to find me drop.

At any rate I queued again and faced off against them for 8-10 games, losing the majority but having a good time once I pushed the frustration to the back of my mind.

Its hard to explain, but when your in your favorite ship and people still mop the floor with you, its a knock on your confidence. A lot of aces have an ample supply of this (myself included) and ripping it apart leaves people with 2 choices: Fight or Flight, I can understand both though the later is not very sportsmanlike. I can proudly say that 99.99% of the time it evokes the "fight" in me and I promptly try to do better (with mixed results)

Happy to have done this only once, and not since :D

(If were counting "dropped from pre-lobby" then I have done that 3 times, mostly when I was having a bad day and hoping for some fun only to find a double preform on the other side and 2-shippers on mine. Also not sportsmanlike but every now and then you might not be in the mood for something like that, and thats okay in my book)

Edited by DamascusAdontise

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.