Commando simply not viable in PvP

thomasgtott

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably not a good player, but I'm willing to learn. What happened to me last week in preseason about 5 times in a row (ok, we were always the same 8 rep players mixed up differently). Game started, my team moved forewar, I was stunned or mezzed, team doesn't care and continuing hunting the focus target at the other site of the map, 1 or 2 shadow(s) unhinde and damage was comming in, I was CCed again, more damage, and dead. Zero points.

This happened to me every single time, so I could try different strategies like using adrenalin and shild in advance, stun break early, stun break late, pushback, the result was always the same, death in seconds.

I would be glad, if somebody can give me a better strategy to survive situations like this, but I assume, if the other 3 leave you alone dying, the chances to escape are null.

I'm not saying, that this happened to me only because I'm a commando. It happened to me because I was selected to be the first focus target, (and this might be related to my class).

If the commando stays first blood all the time (just because we used to be first blood in season 1), than our class will stay bad in ranked in season 2 as well, even if we are definetly not as weak anymore than we were the last two years.

I also have to say, I had other games, where the team was staying together, and I was the last man standing.

Commando is primarily a ranged-support DPS class, so yea if your teammates have no interest in playing as a team, your S.O.L. There are going to be times, especially in Yolo Queue, where there is absolutely no amount of skill that can help your team win, solely b/c of the teammates on your team.

If you get no peels, no offheals, and no support of any kind, youre going to die. If your teammates do their jobs properly, youre chances of winning go up significantly, even if you are the opposition's primary target.

Well you can practice really hard and get good on your Commando, you'll still struggle, but you will eventually be able to compete especially if you get a team that is really good at supporting you with taunts, guard and heals OR you can take a short cut and play class A B or C. If you take class A, B or C you will have a leg up over some of the classes. Skill with it and a supporting team are just icing on the cake.

If you think the Commando is weaker try another class, there are plenty that can deal out damage and take hits.

Edited by NathanielStarr

Do you even play this class? :rolleyes:

I've wondered about taking Volatile Warhead in the shared tree coupled with Mandolorian Iron Warheads in middle tree. it would be an instant to use as filler in place of power shot. iunno if the 2 heat reduction is enough to make it viable though. haven't tried it yet.

Edited by foxmob

To the people who responded to my specific points, thanks. In some cases I was just plain incorrect, and appreciate useful pointers.

To the inevitable few who just said "you suck" , hey if it makes you feel better.

-----------

To preempt the inevitable comments that I suck and don't know how to play my class or that you have no problem playing 'mando in PvP, I refer you to the leaderboard - where at the time of this writing there are exactly 3 commandos in the top 300 (41st, 183rd, 211th overall).

It seems to me that the reasons for this are:

- no escape ability, no quick-travel to get distance

- CC is broken by damage while some other classes can CC me and keep hitting my immobilized toon until I'm dead.

- CC breaks have long cooldowns (tenacity 2min, HLT 30 sec.) so can use basically once per match

Commando's can do good DPS, but in arena don't often get the chance to b/c forever immobilized.

Maybe my view is noobish, but something has to explain the leaderboards and why I see so few other commando's in ranked - at least on Jedi Cov.

Same for me :(

I keep getting flamed for doing ranked and dying like you (im on pyrotech for the moment)

Example: im in a ranked warzone, enters theres a healer.

I.mDps and i die because of stun.

So healer flames me lets call him joe.

Joe is getting us killed and blaming me for losing?

Geez the flamers and trolls and increasing.

Edited by kirbyshocksword

I've wondered about taking Volatile Warhead in the shared tree coupled with Mandolorian Iron Warheads in middle tree. it would be an instant to use as filler in place of power shot. iunno if the 2 heat reduction is enough to make it viable though. haven't tried it yet.

If you are spec'd Pyrotech and dont have those talents already you are doing it wrong. Volatile Warheads is the only way to apply the CGC DoT to multiple targets.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

If you are spec'd Pyrotech and dont have those talents already you are doing it wrong. Volatile Warheads is the only way to apply the CGC DoT to multiple targets.

really? I never thought much about applying cgc as aoe. just wrote that missile off as an overpriced waste to use while leveling only.

really? I never thought much about applying cgc as aoe. just wrote that missile off as an overpriced waste to use while leveling only.

It doesnt apply it as AOE, but there is a stupid 6s ICD on being able to proc CGC via ranged attacks, ie Rapid Shots. Which means if you use Rapid Shots on a target, then have to switch targets for some reason, you have no way to apply a new CGC DoT outside of Missile Blast/Volatile Warheads. It only applies the DoT to your current target, not the other 2 affected targets.

Its really dumb, and is something I brought to the attention of the devs in the Commando questions but they seem to just want to keep being dumb about it.

Do you even play this class? :rolleyes:

Yeah i do and on an equally geared character you hit missile blast/explosion round and you do about 2.5k PER hit but wait theres more... since you get 2 shots out of it which ive seen the 2.5k shows up twice and well we all learned in grade school how to add simple numbers right??? 2.5k + 2.5k = 5k right or am i crazy....

Yeah i do and on an equally geared character you hit missile blast/explosion round and you do about 2.5k PER hit but wait theres more... since you get 2 shots out of it which ive seen the 2.5k shows up twice and well we all learned in grade school how to add simple numbers right??? 2.5k + 2.5k = 5k right or am i crazy....

You are wrong.

No he is not, it hits for 5k..

in T1 lowbies

bing bing bing bing bing bing bing bing bing bing

YOU SIR ARE CORRECT! its always nice to see when some people can catch on to word play and being evasive lol

I never said 55 PvP i said on an equally geared toon lol so in that scenario YES missile blast / explosive round does hit for 5k

But in all seriousness before people get to pissy about me messing with them on the forums Click this link to watch how a Commando is supposed to be played. IMO he's pretty good.

bing bing bing bing bing bing bing bing bing bing

YOU SIR ARE CORRECT! its always nice to see when some people can catch on to word play and being evasive lol

I never said 55 PvP i said on an equally geared toon lol so in that scenario YES missile blast / explosive round does hit for 5k

But in all seriousness before people get to pissy about me messing with them on the forums Click this link to watch how a Commando is supposed to be played. IMO he's pretty good.

You are dumb and you should feel dumb.

Lol dat s-keying doe

Edited by cashogy_reborn

Hey man merc/commando is just fine. ESPECIALLY now. Season 1 I got my Merc to 1500+ ELO and now at the start of Season 2 I'm 6 and 4 with 1296 ELO.

In regs it's even easier to play. The class is just harder to play than most. Requires a lot of situational awareness and practice. It certainly isn't easy mode.

Edited by SOULCASTER

[sarcasm] You are dumb and you should feel dumb. lol [/sarcasm]

Lol dat s-keying doe

**FIXED**

hows that now? you're the one that fell into my mind trap lol

on a side note dont get all pissy because I'm messing around, its called word play and being evasive lol

Edited by Jamalzero

Spamming explosive round? You'd run out of ammo fast.

That's what I thought was mean by the question of rather or not the poster even played the class.

I normally dont start using it unless my target is near death, I have it bound to my R key. Once ive used my KB > Net > Tracer > HSM > Tracer > Rail shot > Unload...they're missing alot of HP at that point and have done nothing to you so normally you would hit your shield as they advance and you get ready to play keep away with HO and your stuns and spam your instant stuff... Trust me Jugs and Maras are childs play in this patch... 2.7 is the age of the ranged classes lol

If youre a pyro merc/commando i have no advice i only know Arsenal/Gunnery. Refer yourself to the link I posted earlier for Pyro play style.

Edited by Jamalzero

**FIXED**

on a side note dont get all pissy because I'm messing around, its called word play and being evasive lol

Twas not sarcasm; you, in fact, are dumb.

And the video you posted, I watched until I saw the guy backpedal. Super pro.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

**FIXED**

Making a mind numbingly stupid comment is not a "mind trap". It's just stupid.

Edited by JediMasterSLC

Here are random tips if you find yourself dieing too quickly: (mainly for arena)

1) Power Surge + Concussion Missile as an opener. If you can CC a DPS, you are less likely to explode as fast

2) Use Warzone Adrenal (and possibly Energy Shield) a few seconds before you get within 30m

3) When everyone jumps on you, switch to survival mode and don't try to simply out-DPS them

4) Dont use your stun breaker unless its the 2nd stun and your resolve is full (exception is if you are about to die)

If you are lucky enough for them to not focus you at first, save Power Surge if possible. Its great if a straggler breaks off and comes for you. Its a guaranteed CC that they should not break, otherwise you net them. While they are CC'd for 8 seconds, you can get off several heals and start casting a Fusion or Tracer.

My survivability went up slightly once I was familiar with my various escape tools and use them as reflex:

1) Jet Boost + Unload

2) Rocket Punch (root) + Hydraulic Overrides

3) Electro Dart

4) Power Surge + Concussion Missile

5) Electro Net

Hydraulic Overrides and Jet Boost have a fairly short CD and so should be used (one or the other) as first options if possible.

But if you're in an arena and the other team is stronger than yours and they choose to focus you, then you are probably going down regardless. Just accept it and use stall tactics described above. Just hope your team can 3 on 1 one of them before they can 3 on 1 you.

Here are random tips if you find yourself dieing too quickly: (mainly for arena)

1) Power Surge + Concussion Missile as an opener. If you can CC a DPS, you are less likely to explode as fast

2) Use Warzone Adrenal (and possibly Energy Shield) a few seconds before you get within 30m

3) When everyone jumps on you, switch to survival mode and don't try to simply out-DPS them

4) Dont use your stun breaker unless its the 2nd stun and your resolve is full (exception is if you are about to die)

If you are lucky enough for them to not focus you at first, save Power Surge if possible. Its great if a straggler breaks off and comes for you. Its a guaranteed CC that they should not break, otherwise you net them. While they are CC'd for 8 seconds, you can get off several heals and start casting a Fusion or Tracer.

My survivability went up slightly once I was familiar with my various escape tools and use them as reflex:

1) Jet Boost + Unload

2) Rocket Punch (root) + Hydraulic Overrides

3) Electro Dart

4) Power Surge + Concussion Missile

5) Electro Net

Hydraulic Overrides and Jet Boost have a fairly short CD and so should be used (one or the other) as first options if possible.

But if you're in an arena and the other team is stronger than yours and they choose to focus you, then you are probably going down regardless. Just accept it and use stall tactics described above. Just hope your team can 3 on 1 one of them before they can 3 on 1 you.

If you are in an arena and are basically any class you are going to die quickly if your team is weaker and the opposing team focuses you. It takes them about 5 seconds to force me to use GBTF or force cammo on my sent. After those are done I will be dead in a matter of seconds. Jugg/guardian is even worse as three good damage dealers can burn through ED/FD easily.

If you are in an arena and are basically any class you are going to die quickly if your team is weaker and the opposing team focuses you.

What I mean is, Sorc can Force Barrier. Stealthers can cleanse and Vanish, Warriors with Undieing Rage, etc. No matter how much better the other team is, these certain classes can extend their lives and escape. Merc has no choice but to take it like a man!

Notice that you never hear about the above classes complaining about being globaled. They may lose the match, but those particular toons can always escape and delay. A Merc cannot do it as well as them and therefor is much more prone to early deaths, even in a win.

Also it seems like at the end of your post, you are saying Juggs are even worse and die faster then Mercs?

Edited by DarthBloodloss