Undocumented change: Joining a custom chat channel no longer shows list of users

Jerba

Patch 2.7.1 has changed how the custom chat channels work.

Before 2.7.1, when you log-in to your character or join a custom chat channel (e.g. /cjoin lfg), you'll see a number of messages from the System Feedback category, namely the characters that are already in the channel:

Playera joins channel "Lfg".

Playerb joins channel "Lfg".

Playerc joins channel "Lfg".

You successfully joined the "Lfg" channel. Send messages to the channel using "/4 [message]".

However, post 2.7.1, you just see the final message, and nothing more:

You successfully joined the "Lfg" channel. Send messages to the channel using "/4 [message]".

(Once you join a channel, you will see who newly joins/leaves the channel afterwards, but you can no longer see who was inside the channel before you joined it)

The main reason I am bringing this up is because of another bug, where the /list and /channellist commands have been bugged since 1.0 (more information, though there are a few false positives in that thread). It was intended that you would use something like "/list lfg" to get a list of players that are currently in the Lfg channel, but that command never worked. Instead, however, you could always use "/cleave lfg" followed by "/cjoin lfg" and scan the channel join messages to see who is in the channel.

With 2.7.1, you removed the possibility to check who is inside a custom chat channel upon joining. This is a major issue because you can no longer be sure who is inside the channel and listening to the chat; possibly causing you to reveal confidential information that was not intended to be read by other players.

Please check if this change is intended. If it is not, please revert it as this was the only way you could check which players are inside a custom chat channel.

If this change was intended, please make fixing the "/list" command a high priority to bring this functionality back.

Edit: This may or may not be related to the chat being slow/buggy today. Maybe the "... joins channel" messages are just delayed or are not relayed to the client, and the behaviour has not changed. I guess we'll know for sure when chat is working correctly again.

Edit 2: Even after the chat got fixed, this issue is still occuring. This really is a undocumented change and was not a byproduct of the chat issues.

Edited by Jerba

Bumpity bump. Would also like to see this returned to how it was!

I actually want /list to work.

But yeah, a return to how it was would at least give us *some* way to know who is in the channel.

It's a bit sad that in an MMO a community feature like custom channels remains broken for years. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump.

This is very frustrating. There are various chat channels that I use, and various others I've heard of others using on other servers. Some are looking for group channels open to all (possibly focused on non-story-mode). Some are collections of most of the progression raiders on the server. Some are essentially groups of people competent enough to pug certain difficulty levels.

It was invaluable to see how many people were in these various chat channels upon logging in. Not having this distinctly harms these various communities.

Not all of the people in these channels are people I know, so the friends list does not replace this. Further, it's tedious, and most people just don't bother, to add people to the friends list of all my various alts; and there is no "folder" or "category" structure to the friends list.

----

Please revert this to give the list of people in the chat channel on login, or update the custom chat channel functionality by allowing /clist commands etc to work.

Edited by cxten

This is most annoying. I never know who's in the channel anymore. Please return it to the way it was before!

And while you're at it, please also fix the friend list and friends online count to update properly upon login/zoning Who knows, these issues may even be related.

• 6 months later...

I know this is a bit of a necropost, but this bug is still in effect, and has been for over a year. It is impossible to see who is currently in a chat channel (even on initial login). The /list command is still there; if I do

/list blargle

I get:

"You are not a member of the "blargle" channel."

But if I list a channel I'm a member of, I get nothing. What's up with this issue?

• 2 weeks later...
What's up with this issue?

Like I said, /list and /channellist have been broken since release, they never worked. :(

A lot of the custom chat commands are completely broken, that is their error message is bugged. They sometimes don't show an error message when they should and vice-versa, other times nothing happens at all.

I once wrote a detailed guide on how it all works: How to use Custom Chat Channels

Unfortunately, sometime between 2.8 and 3.0 (would need to check my bug reports to know the exact patch) they bugged the /cinvite, /ckick etc. commands as well, so my guide is hopelessly outdated. As far as I know, only /cjoin and /cleave work correctly at the moment, but it's hard to test with bugs like these where you can't even see who is in the channel.

I know most players on my server actually have the channel join/channel leave messages turned off in chat settings, so they are not affected by this bug.

At primetime, we have more than 300 players in our LFG channel (which I'm very proud of, having founded it myself more than two years ago and advertised it so that everyone would join), so you usually see a channel join/leave message every second. Myself, I still keep it turned on, I know a lot of players that I don't have on my friends list or where I don't have enough space to put every alt on the friends list, so by seeing the channel join message I always know when someone is online.

But of course, other servers have smaller and more private LFG channels or they use RP channels, so those players pretty much always have these messages turned on and are affected by this bug much more than my server is.

Edit: Haha, this thread got 4k views, more than some of the stickies in this forum. Looks like putting this thread in my signature had the desired publicity, but it unfortunately did not help getting this bug fixed. Oh well... :(

Edited by Jerba

• 2 months later...