GSF Dueling

Korithras

Dueling would never work in GSF!(As a 1on1 thing, like when u request duel on whoever/wherever) No time to explain, any half decent GSF pilot can answer that.

If you set the distance at say 25-30k apart and give some objects to fly around/through. It would make for a great testing ground for ship configurations prior and honestly, I think it would be fun to duel in space despite the ship differences - make is a best 2 out of 3 type thing.

If you set the distance at say 25-30k apart and give some objects to fly around/through. It would make for a great testing ground for ship configurations prior and honestly, I think it would be fun to duel in space despite the ship differences - make is a best 2 out of 3 type thing.

Maybe, but it would clearly have to be same ship vs same ship. How can bomber dog fight a GS in a duel. If there is a way to do this I would be first person o test it out because it would be awesome, but I do not think it can actually work.

Unless there were no obstacles gunships would be forced to come in close. I agree there would be some match ups that wouldn't make since but you could still make this interesting. It would be nice to have lobby so the two duelers could agree upon ship before launching. You would absolutely want to keep things casual. Stats and/or rankings would potentially make things stupid.

Overall, with a few tweaks, I think something like this could really help new players. Anything that does that must be a good thing.

A few slow-moving remotes and stationary targets is what that the tutorial needs. - A chance to team up with someone to show them the ropes too. - Even put in a voip channel for this - so you can coach them.

I hope this kinda thing is implemented soon.... I'm starting to see the same old pilots day after day..... I love GSF, but I wanna mix it up a bit!

Has been requested quite a few times, presumably it's up somewhere on their wall of crazy.

Would be a tremendously useful tool for testing GSF mechanics and components, and for 1 on 1 teaching if more experience pilots wanted to help newer pilots.

If you allowed people to choose which ship the wanted going in, I think you'd also find that 1 v 1 competitive duels would be more a matter of skill than hardware. Assuming the map was either the tutorial map or one of the existing ones. If it's just you and a smart bomber pilot, well, be careful when you go after that bomber or you're likely to get unpleasant surprises. In fact it might be a decent test bed for practicing how to counter a ship's 'hard counter'.

Even an imperfect dueling function would be nice. Ideally you'd like a 1v1 in a GSF battleground, but if you could have a sort of perpetual GSF dueling space with up to 12 1v1 pairs (sort of like how PvP duels often work around the mission terminal on fleet) that can only target their dueling partner, it'd still be better than nothing. Might be more efficient in terms of server load per GSF duelist, if the game engine would allow that sort of thing.

Given that we haven't heard even a peep about this or an improved tutorial I'm thinking that the earliest one could expect progress on this front would be after 2.8 comes out.

Maybe, but it would clearly have to be same ship vs same ship. How can bomber dog fight a GS in a duel. If there is a way to do this I would be first person o test it out because it would be awesome, but I do not think it can actually work.

You can have different simulation modes like the Bomber vs Striker senario or the Scout vs Gunship ect ect. It woudl be a great way to formulate different strageties against different ship types.

As we know more and more ship types and roles are in the works we can't just limit this to dogfighting.

The interal VoIP will distract the devs from working on the actual issues of the game. Lack of VoIP communication problem is solved by downloading a client (TS / Mumble / Ventrilo) and hoping in a server. Communicate from there. As far as a dueling stage goes, ya it's a good place to teach new pilots, but so is the actual battlefield. If I'm able to talk with someone who's been told to STAY RIGHT NEXT TO ME AND WATCH WHAT I DO - JUST HARRASS INCS, they'll manage to stay alive because they have the assistance of a wingman, and they'll also be getting instructions on what to do and why to do it.

Yes. It's very expensive to do that.

I'm sure they are working on it, and that tech will work for more than just GSF.

God I hope they aren't. Cross-servers was one of the things that ruined WoW. Yes, it unquestioningly lowers queue times but that is the ONLY good thing about it. In terms of dungeons/flashpoints you see alot more people being greedy, rolling need on things just because they want it, because they don't care about players not from their servers. In terms of pvp you just see every last troll and his brother come out of the wood works because they aren't accountable for their behavior, they're on an entirely different server, why should they care?

Edited by Korithras

God I hope they aren't. Cross-servers was one of the things that ruined WoW.

o ok

the fact that server segregation was arbitrarily introduced with wow and that plenty of online games either didn't have different servers (e.g. guild wars) or didn't care which server you logged in to (e.g. runescape) before then isn't important, I guess

and you certainly can't explain bad behavior by people being terrible combined with the anonymity of the internet

and you definitely shouldn't look at all the examples of people being rude and hostile on their home servers

but wow is definitely dying, rite

just gotta focus on that

Edited by Armonddd

God I hope they aren't. Cross-servers was one of the things that ruined WoW.

WoW sure has a lot of subs for a "ruined" game.

Yes, it unquestioningly lowers queue times but that is the ONLY good thing about it.

The good thing about it is that there's always stuff to do.

The good thing about it is that matchmaking actually functions.

The good thing about it is that it's the sign of a high quality game.

The good thing about it is that it provides appropriate content to people at different times.

In terms of dungeons/flashpoints you see alot more people being greedy, rolling need on things just because they want it, because they don't care about players not from their servers.

Which WoW handled with personal loot systems.

The point is:

GSF needs cross server queues.

Warzones could use them pretty badly.

PvE stuff could use it, but doesn't have a huge jonesing.