Swtor has nothing to fear from Wildstar!

Odyseus

Yes it will launch with a group finder that has cross-realm options

With all the other ways they seem to be trying to innovate in Wildstar, I'm kind of surprised they didn't go for a single layered shard. Keeping all your players together seems to help prevent some long term problems with server populations.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the other ways they seem to be trying to innovate in Wildstar, I'm kind of surprised they didn't go for a single layered shard. Keeping all your players together seems to help prevent some long term problems with server populations.

I imagine it has to do with 1. tech concerns like latency and cluster load balancing, 2. gameplay concerns for RP and PVP separation, unless RP and PVP-specific instances are established on that single superserver. Or their decision was made to use the less risky tried-and-true option of traditional server shards like so many themepark MMOs before. It's also easier to find/hire network engineers who have worked on MMOs that follow this model rather than try to innovate and screw the infrastructure pooch.

BTW Wildstar is an spin on various MMO mainstays and tropes rather than an innovation. They tried to innovate but haven't come up with any new ideas.

Edited by Projawa

Correlation does not equal causation. There was definitely a massive drop-off in subs soon after launch, but I don't believe that Diablo 3 had any significant part to play in that.

That D3 happened to come out about six months after SWTOR, while the drop-off was happening... well, i could just as easily say:

"A lot of people thought the same thing after this game launched and Max Payne 3 was released. Two completely different games, completely different styles. A lot of those people left to play Max Payne 3 and never came back. Population plummeted and BioWare finally merged servers 4 months later."

Except people said pretty explicitly and fairly loudly that they were leaving for D3. Same thing happened with GW2. Same thing is happening with Wildstar.

That said, it's not any single game that's killing Swtor in a mighty stroke; it's the slow attrition due to chunks leaving as new games are released. Wildstar won't kill this game either, but it sure won't help server pops, esp. if Strongholds and the new story arc are underwhelming.

There is notting to worry about. Wildstar will sink fast because its have http://wildstar-online.com/media/uploads/images/article-images/SargeBurp.jpg the equivalent of Darth Baras. In 2 months , the players will be bored and leave this game , because of him.

BTW , is that a lightsaber :eek:http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/02/inline1-610x336.jpg

The lack of real voiceover is also quite jarring after playing ToR since release.

This is my only real gripe with Wildstar so far. There are voiceovers, but they are completely generic comments from the NPCs. The actual story is told via chat bubbles, which usually have little or nothing to do with what the NPC is saying out loud. The story would frankly be better if there were FEWER NPC voiceovers.

Edited by NoFishing

Played beta this weekend and placed my pre-order. I had alot of fun in the game. Sure, it feels like WoW and Rift(some of the sounds surely come from it?!) but combat was MUCH MUCH better.

As someone who only PvPs, I can get by without 'Story' and if 'Story' was that important in an MMO SWTOR wouldn't be in such a mess. Face it, once you play out the 'story', the next run, you just skip everything - it adds nothing to actual game play.

I almost jumped out of my chair when I heard those words 'TRIPLE KILL' and just laughed. Wildstar has lots of humour and I like that. The fact it has x-server PvP/raids, ability to choose your own PvP fix from Arenas and Battlegrounds(10 man, not 8) already puts it streaks ahead of SWTOR.

I've been here since launch, one of the first on these forums but it's clear Biowares only focus is the Cartel Market and turning this game more and more into The Sims. Jumped ship and cancelled last week and uninstalled the game.

There is notting to worry about. Wildstar will sink fast because its have http://wildstar-online.com/media/uploads/images/article-images/SargeBurp.jpg the equivalent of Darth Baras. In 2 months , the players will be bored and leave this game , because of him.

BTW , is that a lightsaber :eek:http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/02/inline1-610x336.jpg

That helmet sort of reminds me of the old BattleMaster gear from this game. O.o

That helmet sort of reminds me of the old BattleMaster gear from this game. O.o

Wildstar is a cartoon copy of SWTOR then ? They`ve got Darth Baras , lightsabers , similar gear, some force lightning , force push .... even the name is stolen ;)Wildstar - STAR W. ild.

Well, beta weekend is over, and despite giving it a fair play I cant say anything really grabbed me sufficiently to make me pre order.

I love the art style, and the combat has interesting potential but the game just felt generic and kinda disconnected for the most part.

I'm probably leaving for Wildstar, for various reasons.

It's a really fast paced, great game !

And how they handle CC is just brilliant ;) .

Still, i'm not sure if the endgame content is satisfying enough in Wildstar so no, you can't have my stuffz yet. Maybe 2 months after Wildstar is released.

Edited by Hakkology

Still, i'm not sure if the endgame content is satisfying enough in Wildstar so no, you can't have my stuffz yet. Maybe 2 months after Wildstar is released.

Kan I haz your stuff?

The last guy asked for Extra-welt`s stuff.

Can you give me yours after 2 months? I`ll wait for it :rak_06:

I swear people are....simple, sometimes.

I've been playing MMO's since UO...and EVERY TIME a new game comes out everyone claims it's an "X-Killer" and then the followup "lolz X sucks" "it has nothing to fear" etc posts..

been going on over a decade....and NO GAME has EVER been a "X-Killer"

And who said anyone "feared" anything from Wildstar anyway?

New MMO's come and go..and subs/numbers fluctuate with each one...will Wildstar affect SWTOR? yes..but no more than it will affect every other MMO on the market. Will it kill it? Sure, in the same way DDO killed WoW..or STO killed WoW...or <insert random new MMO> killed <insert MMO>

c'mon people...brain. use it.

Played beta this weekend and placed my pre-order. I had alot of fun in the game. Sure, it feels like WoW and Rift(some of the sounds surely come from it?!) but combat was MUCH MUCH better.

As someone who only PvPs, I can get by without 'Story' and if 'Story' was that important in an MMO SWTOR wouldn't be in such a mess. Face it, once you play out the 'story', the next run, you just skip everything - it adds nothing to actual game play.

I almost jumped out of my chair when I heard those words 'TRIPLE KILL' and just laughed. Wildstar has lots of humour and I like that. The fact it has x-server PvP/raids, ability to choose your own PvP fix from Arenas and Battlegrounds(10 man, not 8) already puts it streaks ahead of SWTOR.

I've been here since launch, one of the first on these forums but it's clear Biowares only focus is the Cartel Market and turning this game more and more into The Sims. Jumped ship and cancelled last week and uninstalled the game.

Besides The Sims part of your comment (I love the Sims), you're 100% correct. One of the 2 biggest downfalls of ToR is that it will always be a single player RPG masquerading as an MMO,

never really heard or seem Wildstar,but the best thing is new MMOs will keep the devs working,if they see something that is a great attraction in another MMO, they will try to work it into this one,the one I want is cross server GTN,

I would have to disagree. I remember the day it came out almost half of our entire server (The Switfsure) jettisoned this game for D3. At the time I was on the top PVP guild on my server. After D3 released over half the guild left and eventually we had to merge with another top PVP guild who suffered a similar fate. Maybe my experience is subjective, but from what I seen D3 decimated this game. Which is weird because D3 was no where close to SWTOR IMO.

I think that this happens to offline games as well. I know one game (Drakensang 2) which I fear suffered a similar fate because Dragon Age was released in a similar time frame ... The developers went into minsolvency, got bought by Bigpoint, and the game's publisher almost went bancrupt as well ... And everyone who has played Drakensang 2 wonders why no-one had bought / played it ... Because Bioware happened.

never really heard or seem Wildstar,but the best thing is new MMOs will keep the devs working,if they see something that is a great attraction in another MMO, they will try to work it into this one

I hate to burst your bubble but that simply requires too much coding.

Besides The Sims part of your comment (I love the Sims), you're 100% correct. One of the 2 biggest downfalls of ToR is that it will always be a single player RPG masquerading as an MMO,

And most of us that do raids and pvp simply don't give a flying f....uh, fudge.

rpg, mmo, rts, fps, 3ps, rail shooter, simulator...

As long as the game's fun.

Besides, MMO * RPG unison is not called that just for kicks.

SWTOR is probably the ONLY real MMORPG, while all others are just... MMOs. To me.

Voiceover and characters with Bioware flair and soul made this game into a TRUE mmoRPG.

The prev. called MMORPG games are just MMOs to me now.

To me, WoW and TSW and GW2 AND League is in same genre.

For me, Wildstar's combat looks interesting, but I'm not very good with a mouse. However, the cartoon style and humor, along with the lack of Voice over and the unoriginal story is something I don't like. Also, Humans are limited to one faction, which is something I'm not a fan of.

For me, Wildstar's combat looks interesting, but I'm not very good with a mouse. However, the cartoon style and humor, along with the lack of Voice over and the unoriginal story is something I don't like. Also, Humans are limited to one faction, which is something I'm not a fan of.

Whatever happened to:

"Duran'del here:"?!

:eek:

In Wildstar, both factions have humans. They are just called Cassians on the Dominion side.

As for Wildstar, I've been in the beta. Combat is fun, and I love the Jak and Daxter art style. I also love the humor prevalent throughout the game. However, I'm really lacking any sort of lore or immersion in the game. It reminds me so much of WoW. Go to hub, click accept, go murder things, return. I forgot who I was doing what for, but it never felt like it mattered anyway why someone needed 10 bear asses.

I've got a preorder at Gamestop, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it just yet. I assume level cap will be fun, but leveling in that game is going to be a chore without lore or immersion.

They have an interesting new concept with CC. When you get stunned, you need to hammer the E key to breakout. This is a great idea, but instantly ruined by having the game on PC. There will be mods that hammer it for you or a macro that does it. So, this feature will most likely end up getting removed shortly after launch. Its things like that which make me worry about how fun the combat will remain. Also...8 action bar slots...bleh.

Both games can exist just fine. I won't cancel my TOR sub for Wildstar, but I might end up playing both at some point during the summer console game lull.

Hmmmm... just checked the Wildstar site. The game's artwork looks a lot like WoW to me...

People say this alot, but honestly the game's art, animation, setting, humorm etc, have WAY more in common with Ratchet & Clank than WoW.

The people that say it looks like WoW either don't play many games or think any cartoony MMO = WoW or that any and all cartoonish styles are exactly the same.