Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is it ethically right to play SwTOR?

Macetheace

Check the phrasing and the creation date and the attitude. He survived the weekend but will be only a bad memory soon, and yet another account tomorrow.

Yeah, I figured. For someone who thinks this game sucks, he sure is spending a lot of money on it...

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proof? Because I have only seen additions. And while the minority of people who only partake in ground PvP may not see GSF as being an example of their game play, the simple fact that there are no NPC's in GSF make it PvP by any definition...with the exception of yours, apparently.

PvP is a minor part of this game, just like crafting. The sooner the PvP only crowd accepts that reality, the better off everyone will be.

Removal of Ranked 8v8s. Removal of vanilla Ilum. Devs stating there are no plans for huge WPvP like vanilla Ilum. Their latest PvP FAQ thread. No x-server. Need I go on with their piss poor progression?? seeing what you said about pvp and pvp playerbase there's no point in arguing with you so good day

Edited by Feasting

Removal of Ranked 8v8s. Removal of vanilla Ilum. Devs stating there are no plans for huge WPvP like vanilla Ilum. Their latest PvP FAQ thread. No x-server. Need I go on with their piss poor progression??

Addition of new WZ's. Addition of Arena. PvP area for Gree event. PvP achievements to encourage world PvP at other events and locations. Addition of ranked seasons and PvP rank awards.

Need I go on with their additions to a small, inconsequential part of the game?

What you are asking about is what a gut feeling tells you and how does the games financial practices feel to you

problem with this how do you put down in writing on a forum and make sense . so people can understand how this games unsettling you .

the whole business world unsettles me personally . the way they pursue wealth gives a bad gut feeling for me but is it really wrong or just wrong for me

flip side of this is there are people who positivley thrive in the business world and how its structured and live with it happily

my best advice is . if the games way of making money from you does not sit easily .then leave , there are far more important issues that need attention in the business world than a video game company

Usually when provoked (like the stuff you've referenced / replied to) or confronted with intense disassociation from reality, yep. I probably need to learn to be nicer in the latter case.

Its more the tone and sometimes, from my observation, you just start laying in. You just have this thing about you where on the one hand, you're all "we're all about ideas and opinions and sharing" and then when someone expresses something that doesn't jive with your own opinion, your tone becomes such that you start talking down to them rather than treating them as an equal that just has a different view than you do.

Usually I've found that's what rubs people the wrong way about you - at times you're insightful and mellow, but when something irks you, you really put out a "holier than thou" condescending tone that tends to invite an aggressive response rather than a thought-out, measured one. And I'd say at least in my opinion, at least half the time the condescension really isn't warranted and gets in the way of what could have been a really interesting conversation.

The boards of directors setting these CEO's pay is a good ol' boys network. Every CEO is a board member on the other guy's board. You scratch my back (er, fill my wallet) and I'll do yours.

You cited two of the exact opposite examples I was talking about. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were both immeasurably valuable to their organizations. They were huge contributors to their organizations' successes. We're seeing that in spades with Apple now that Jobs is gone, sadly. They both made a whole lot of people very, very wealthy on their rise to the top. They are the epitome of what a CEO should be and are worth whatever compensation they get.

They're also the exception. How many other CEO's make even 10% of their companies millionaires, vs. cutting swaths of the workforce and shipping the work overseas? How many run the company into the ground and sell off the parts for scrap?

typically those are CEOS taking over a dying company trying to return it to profitability. They can do two things. Cut jobs that can be cut while keeping others actually employed and hope to grow/expand, or keep as is until everyone is out of a job and company goes poof/ Again, person A wants $30 an hour to do a job, that person B is willing to do for $4 and is of equal or reasonable quality a CEO would be an idiot to not choose B and reduce costs and maintain profitability.

well considering that the number of millionaires has been growing, my guess more than those that are clearing swaths as you say.

typically those are CEOS taking over a dying company trying to return it to profitability. They can do two things. Cut jobs that can be cut while keeping others actually employed and hope to grow/expand, or keep as is until everyone is out of a job and company goes poof/ Again, person A wants $30 an hour to do a job, that person B is willing to do for $4 and is of equal or reasonable quality a CEO would be an idiot to not choose B and reduce costs and maintain profitability.

well considering that the number of millionaires has been growing, my guess more than those that are clearing swaths as you say.

Sure, some try to save dying companies. Many outright kill healthy ones.

A million isn't what it was. My grandfather was thrilled to be worth $100,000 before he died, back in the early 70's. Today, that's a great number if you don't mind living on public assistance through most of your retirement. More millionaires is sort of an irrelevant measure.

$1,000,000 in 1950 = about $9,000,000 today. Are there more people today with $9 mil than there were in the '50's with $1 mil?

This research from the Oregon State University might help you visualize that concept. Page 4 is an interesting graph that combines the decline of the value of $1 million with the increase in the number of people who have that much.

To be quite honest... I'd believe we had Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory asking the questiong "Is it ethically right to play SwTOR?" and to be very accurate on your question.

- Nothing is right to play. You play what you feel is right for you and what you enjoy.

I think that it is perfectly fine to play SWTOR. I don't think that EA/BioWare is doing any price fixing by restricting the drop rates of items. If anything they are trying to keep the prices lower on the GTN, by releasing the rarer Dye Modules on the Cartel Market for direct sale at times. Seriously the only problem that I see is the BOP of the tickets and rep items, and really that isn't a problem that needs to be changed it's just annoying.

It's a game. Is your money going to support slavery? How about wars, etc? No, your money is going to support a corporation, which is true of any AAA game you play.

Asking if it's ethical to play SWTOR because Bioware controls the drop rate of rare items on the Cartel Market is just ... there are MUCH more important things in the world (and far more profound ways to exploit people). Play the game or not, but if this is a real ethics question, sir, it's a question you must ask of each and every game you play, because all of them are just money-making schemes for large corporations. There are much bigger, more important ethics questions to spend your time agonizing over.

I mean, really, asking whether it's ethical to eat at McDonald's is a real ethics question. Asking whether it's ethical to shop at Walmart is a real ethics question. Asking whether it's ethical to pay taxes to a government in which only the ultra-rich determine governmental policy is a real ethical question. Asking if it's ethical to play the SWTOR MMO, however, makes it sound like you're a first-year ethics student at uni trying to make up an interesting conundrum and failing.

Ethics are important to me, too, but I think you're grasping at straws, here.

I mean, really, asking whether it's ethical to eat at McDonald's is a real ethics question. Asking whether it's ethical to shop at Walmart is a real ethics question. Asking whether it's ethical to pay taxes to a government in which only the ultra-rich determine governmental policy is a real ethical question. Asking if it's ethical to play the SWTOR MMO, however, makes it sound like you're a first-year ethics student at uni trying to make up an interesting conundrum and failing.

None of those are ethical questions, and our government's policies cater specifically to the lower classes. Not to the ultra rich...

What is ethical is a purely subjective question. There is no right or wrong answer to "is something ethical"

It's a game, you play it voluntarily.

Ethics doesn't come into ANYWHERE of this.

Now run along, all of you.

Jeez, the OCD sufferers these days are better than you...

It's a game. You play voluntarily.

It's a cigar. You smoke it voluntarily. But not if it's made in Cuba and you're in the USA.

It's a diamond. You wear it voluntarily. But... did it come from Canada or Sierra Leone?

It's coffee. You drink it voluntarily. But is its production destroying the habitat of rare migratory birds?

It's a phone. You talk on it voluntarily. But did the company manufacturing it or its parts have to install nets around the building so that its workers trying to jump to their deaths landed in them instead of spattering on the pavement?

It's a game. You play voluntarily.

It's a cigar. You smoke it voluntarily. But not if it's made in Cuba and you're in the USA.

It's a diamond. You wear it voluntarily. But... did it come from Canada or Sierra Leone?

It's coffee. You drink it voluntarily. But is its production destroying the habitat of rare migratory birds?

It's a phone. You talk on it voluntarily. But did the company manufacturing it or its parts have to install nets around the building so that its workers trying to jump to their deaths landed in them instead of spattering on the pavement?

With the massive carbon footprint you leave by playing this game and posting on these forums, how do you live with yourself? :rolleyes:

With the massive carbon footprint you leave by playing this game and posting on these forums, how do you live with yourself? :rolleyes:

I can't, that's why I supplement my feelings with a never ending array of foodstuffs, it alleviates the soul and frees me from worry. Ice cream does wonders, as does cheesecake. I never think about anyone other than myself now. I should write a book; Ikinai's Guide to Worry Free Living! (Or How I gave up on the world and turned to eating for solace)

I was just pointing out to the person to whom I responded that the notion that you do something voluntarily doesn't automatically make it ethical.

Plus, my methane footprint far outstrips my carbon one.

I was just pointing out to the person to whom I responded that the notion that you do something voluntarily doesn't automatically make it ethical.

Plus, my methane footprint far outstrips my carbon one.

Pffff!!!! Thank GOD I wasn't drinking when I read that lol!! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.