Changes to Bolster in 2.7

TaitWatson

Any set bonus improvements or just gear for the sake of gear? Which, apparently from this thread, is enough to keep a number of bads happy.

Well we need to make sure the new PvE tier is countered in OW, right? If PvE gets a new one, we obviously need one. I like running in quicksand, its fun. I also think being pushed down the ladder over and over again is wicked awesome as well.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we need to make sure the new PvE tier is countered in OW, right? If PvE gets a new one, we obviously need one. I like running in quicksand, its fun. I also think being pushed down the ladder over and over again is wicked awesome as well.

you contributed to this, so stop QQing.

It's a new level of gear, 69 mods. They totally ignored everyone asking for no new gear until a level cap raise.

What this means is my current 2 PVP characters are all I'm going to PVP with. Bolster now puts you below competitive with the new gear level. I've done that grind before. Not doing it again. Heaven help some new 55 who drops into PVP for the first time. They'll never come back.

Why is it so hard for BWs "designers" to see that all bolster needs is a minimum floor for gear below that point and a max to cut back higher level gear to. Make it work in ANY PVP situation. They make it way too complicated. Keep is simple. Drop expertise. Give PVP gear with a different look, not just a different color.

And, have you gone out to the PTS and looked at their fancy new gear? Whoever designed on the look should be fired and so should whoever approved it. God, what a bunch of ugly crap. It doesn't even look remotely Star Wars related. Wow, maybe, but not SW.

BW needs a new group of designers. Seriously.

you contributed to this, so stop QQing.

How so? You said BW didn't care about my contributions or opinions.

I have always asked for the real question to be answered. These changes are only one step above lipservice.

Unsubbed. Since I've played most content/storylines/ops/pvp.. Nothing really exciting comes from 2.7.. Maybe a change of pace is needed. Thanks for the good times, bw. Hopefully you'll come out with more challenging ops or better vanity perks for end game. Titles, mounts, crystals, GOOD LOOKING armor.. Pvp/pve exclusive perks are better than another tier of gear. Just look what happened to solo q when you guys announced rewards.

Also, before you ask, the reason I like gear resets is because it resets all PVPers to square one. I get tired of being facerolled by premades in full minmaxed ranked gear. Gear never changing is only fun for the people in the top gear.

Somewhat of a delusional idea, here. Those guys are all stacking weapons as we speak, saving comms. They'll all be maxed out within 24 hours of the new gear coming out. Everyone else will be at square one and getting facerolled worse the day 2.7 comes out than they were the day before.

Don't speak for all PVPers. I am a PVPer and I like gear resets, as long as they don't happen stupidly fast... which they haven't been. I have five or six characters with full conqueror gear and am slowly working on ranked gear for two. Having something else to grind for IS content because MMOs are generally about grinding. Some people like earning things, some people just want to deathmatch with gear having no value. Both are valid playstyles but neither one represents the entire PVP community.

Also, before you ask, the reason I like gear resets is because it resets all PVPers to square one. I get tired of being facerolled by premades in full minmaxed ranked gear. Gear never changing is only fun for the people in the top gear.

New tiers of gear are to be expected in themepark MMOs. The only games I can think of that have stagnant endgame with no gear progression are sandbox games and as these forums love to remind everyone, this game isn't a sandbox.

^^^^ This. I lose interest in playing my PVP characters once they are fully geared. Now I have a reason to play them all again.

Speak for yourself if you'd like, I never claimed to speak for YOU and to pretend I did is just silly. I clearly said PvPers, not ALL PvPers, not EVERY PvPer...and I'm correct.

Your issue with being facerolled is probably due to your ability to play the game since there were 2 complete resets last year. A new tier of gear that makes you start again didn't seem to help you last time...why is this time different?

The other issue I have with your reply is that there's NOTHING earned in PvP since every piece of armor you acquire, needs to be traded in to get the newer highest tier gear. "Stuff" is what motivates players in MMOs. The pursuit of "stuff" can be called content, but "stuff" isn't limited to "gear" exclusively. Speeders, mounts, weapons, cosmetics, exclusives...all "stuff" that would be just as impactful as a new set of PvP gear. if you're limited in motivation to only gear, you must truly enjoy the CM.

EXACTLY what this is. Just another pathetic reset for the sake of a reset.

How so? You said BW didn't care about my contributions or opinions.

I have always asked for the real question to be answered. These changes are only one step above lipservice.

They don't unless it cuts into their pocketbooks. Shorter gear grind means less people forced to play.

And you already know the answers to all the questions you are asking. PvP gear is there because it is an easy and lazy way to keep people grinding without the need for any real work or imagination on their part. Bolster is there to get new players into PvP and give them a chance so they will come back and grind. If you take gear away, the lazy way to force people to grind is gone and BW would be forced to actually work to get people to stay on instead of just releasing a new tier every few months.

They don't unless it cuts into their pocketbooks. Shorter gear grind means less people forced to play.

And you already know the answers to all the questions you are asking. PvP gear is there because it is an easy and lazy way to keep people grinding without the need for any real work or imagination on their part. Bolster is there to get new players into PvP and give them a chance so they will come back and grind. If you take gear away, the lazy way to force people to grind is gone and BW would be forced to actually work to get people to stay on instead of just releasing a new tier every few months.

So why shouldn't I continue to fight this and hold people accountable?

There is a distinct difference between QQ, and holding people accountable and expecting explanations as to why needless grind are added. The point of having a community is to hash out these MAJOR issues.

You yourself said the differences in bolster stuff was minor. Why are we even discussing this unless you think all this is minor as well?

[*]Bolster has been updated to account for the new tiers of gear, and now provides additional expertise to elder game PvE gear. Bolster still caps at a level slightly below Obroan gear.

Slightly below Obroan gear... :confused:

Yeah farm your new PvP gear in warzones, you REALLY need it... :rolleyes:

Edited by Glower

Btw... How about "old" PvP gear - Partisan and Conqueror? You just delete this gear without bolstering or removing expertise? I mean "elder game PvE gear" after 2.7 is equal or better then "old" PvP gear? :confused:

Ok thank you. I wonder if full obroan will be better than using pve bolster with obroan weapons and relics. Im assuming the new tier will be better than everything else no matter how much bolster could be exploited

Don't assume that as it has not been that way at all previously. If their fix is as successful as they think (by no means a sure thing) it will be that the new tier is better in every way.

Sorry the QQ makes little sense. This is the model the game has followed since release and it's the model they will continue to follow like WoW and other MMOs of similar ilk. QQ wont change ****, this is the model everyone has played since the start of the game what's the big surprise or cause for the over reaction theater.

Either way I could care less, I dont need a reason to queue for PvP but it's nice to have different goals to work towards revolving around total rep, kills, objectives, healing, protection ect.

Provide titles like WoW had in BC like Justicar and Conqueror that took a lot of playing time to achieve across 3 BGs. Add rewards like title or helm, gloves and chest pieces that stand out and to get them you need (for example) 1 Mill kills in Huttball or 100k times carrying the ball in for a score or X # of objective points in CW or 100k door caps ect.

This should be a relatively cheap endeavor to code up and making gear is clearly easy, but this gear should be like Darth Malgus's chest piece. Something people would want and this is the only way to get it. These wouldn't be hard to achieve but they would take a lot of time in turn keeping queue times lower. One thing we know is MMO players if they want something they will put in the time to get it. BW just needs to provide the right motivations.

It seems so simple to do and I hate to marginalize the Dev staff because that isnt fair, we dont know the code and we arent in the management meetings. But it is something they should really consider. As well as cross server queues but that horse has been beaten many times already.

Good day.

Provide titles like WoW had in BC like Justicar and Conqueror that took a lot of playing time to achieve across 3 BGs. Add rewards like title or helm, gloves and chest pieces that stand out and to get them you need (for example) 1 Mill kills in Huttball or 100k times carrying the ball in for a score or X # of objective points in CW or 100k door caps ect.

This should be a relatively cheap endeavor to code up and making gear is clearly easy, but this gear should be like Darth Malgus's chest piece. Something people would want and this is the only way to get it. These wouldn't be hard to achieve but they would take a lot of time in turn keeping queue times lower. One thing we know is MMO players if they want something they will put in the time to get it. BW just needs to provide the right motivations.

It seems so simple to do and I hate to marginalize the Dev staff because that isnt fair, we dont know the code and we arent in the management meetings. But it is something they should really consider. As well as cross server queues but that horse has been beaten many times already.

Good day.

The issue with their titles is that there's a title for every damn thing... Titles should note exclusivity. That is what drives players to keep grinding.. Titles, or that cool looking weapon, armor, or mount.. Everyone wants what no one or very few have.. Not what everyone else has.

Edited by ayobreezie

Bioware. I love you guys. Seriously, thank you for acknowledging and fixing the issue. :)

You've tested it and know it's working or are you just assuming that they actually fixed it this time? I'm asking because they've claimed to have fixed it multiple times in the past...

You've tested it and know it's working or are you just assuming that they actually fixed it this time? I'm asking because they've claimed to have fixed it multiple times in the past...

1. Trying to fix it is far better than not doing anything.

2. What you quoted was just an overly happy me. I'm not assuming they have found a permanent fix that will not raise any other issues in the future. Still, no need to be overly negative either, I'll give 'em the benefit of doubt and assume 46 blues are no longer BiS.

1. Trying to fix it is far better than not doing anything.

2. What you quoted was just an overly happy me. I'm not assuming they have found a permanent fix that will not raise any other issues in the future. Still, no need to be overly negative either, I'll give 'em the benefit of doubt and assume 46 blues are no longer BiS.

Forgive me if I sound negative...just "hesitant". L-RANDLE called them out very publicly on how Bolster was...they had to make it appear they did something.

I read whole topic to the last post and I can tell you that I am really exhausted.

Everyone has its own 0.2 cents of truth. Because everyone is individual and wants something slightly different. But we can all agree that this game is made for casuals and it will be made this way no matter what. They need to save sinking titanic at all cost and relying on the opinions of "hardcore" community is the last thing they want to.

The truth is subs are no longer the horse riding the game, CC is. http://www.superdataresearch.com/content/uploads/2013/12/F2P-Top10-2013-1.jpg So they will focus every effort they have to make it so and make it even more for casuals.

My opinion.

Edited by duigha

Forgive me if I sound negative...just "hesitant". L-RANDLE called them out very publicly on how Bolster was...they had to make it appear they did something.

I guess thats fair enough. Even I am pissed about how long the acknowledgement of the problem took. I'm only happy that the fix came rapidly once they agreed that the issue existed.

Bolster still caps at a level slightly below Obroan gear.

Hi Tait, looking for clarity here.

First, you indicate that Bolster will be slightly below Obroan gear in 2.7. Does this mean the new tier will be even better, thus Bolster < Obroan < New Tier. The reason I ask is that in most cases currently, its Conq < Bolster < Obroan or even Bolster = Obroan or Bolster > Obroan in some cases.

Second, is the change to PvP mod level going to impact the way you can bolster mod-able items and when an item is penalized? Currently Bolster doesn't penalize your mod-able item pending you don't exceed 193 (combos such as 69/66/58 or 69/63/61), but the new tier would naturally be 69s (conq 65s, obroan 67s). This would increase the magic number (no?), thus making combos with higher stat'd PvE mods receive full bolster with the potential for more secondary stats? (Meaning 69/69/66 combos or 66/69/69 pending 72 or above still receive penalty) Or have you kept bolster to penalize any combo exceeding the 193 magic number still even with the new gear?

The only reason I bring up combos of bolster even after this change is that there are still situations where PvE set bonuses exceed the performance of PvP 4 set (operative healers specifically) and thus you will have a portion of the community looking to still use a couple bolstered pieces for PvE 2 set even if the new tier is "better" stat wise slightly.

Regards.

Edited by TheDanski

Being honest goes a long way in my book.. When you spend x hours to try to get a PvP piece, spend 36K to augment, and your EXP or attack rating doesn't move......... It's public because I had this itch ever since EXP was removed from my WH gear, and Partisan felt a tick weaker.

My question now is whether they expect players like you and I to gouge out our eyes, and lobotimize any notion that a problem still exists.

I am wondering if I should even bother moving my toon over to confirm most of my hypotheses

Edited by L-RANDLE

What this means is my current 2 PVP characters are all I'm going to PVP with.

Well, that's all I've been doing anyway. Min/Max Obroan in some Legacy gear, pass it between two mirror ACs. Just grind the earpiece, implants, relics and offhand for each toon beyond that. Only min/maxed Obroan once.

Don't worry though. By the time you min/max your Ultra-Obroan, or whatever the new gear is going to be called, players will have figured out the new 2.7 Bolster exploit and you can then just equip your Alts in equivalent/better PvE gear. :)

My money is on 51 Purples being the new BiS PvE mods for Bolster 2.7. We should start a 2.7 Bolster Exploit betting pool. lol

Those guys are all stacking weapons as we speak, saving comms. They'll all be maxed out within 24 hours of the new gear coming out. Everyone else will be at square one and getting facerolled worse the day 2.7 comes out than they were the day before.

My Main and two Alts are already capped on Ranked/WZ Comms. Three more Alts to go. ;)

Btw... How about "old" PvP gear - Partisan and Conqueror?

Well...Partisan is already garbage. So I think it's safe to assume that Conqueror will be garbage in 2.7 as well.

So why shouldn't I continue to fight this and hold people accountable?

There is a distinct difference between QQ, and holding people accountable and expecting explanations as to why needless grind are added. The point of having a community is to hash out these MAJOR issues.

You yourself said the differences in bolster stuff was minor. Why are we even discussing this unless you think all this is minor as well?

What fight? How exactly are you holding anyone accountable for anything? BW is still releasing a new tier of gear giving us a pointless grind. Everything you did led to nothing more than extending our grind. BW is not going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to completely overhaul the system they spent so much money to make just for a few small weapons glitches, nor do they owe us any answers for anything-it's in the ToS. If enough people don't like it, they leave. If enough people leave, then maybe BW will change something. It's business. BW's job isn't to make us happy, it's to keep us playing and extending our subscriptions for as long as it can, using any means possible.

The bolster stuff was minor, very minor, but it was costing BW valuable grind time from us since weapons take the longest to grind, that's why they came up with this dirty fix instead of something solid. Either way, you all got exactly what you wanted and yet you are still QQing. If not for all your "help" we would still be able to skip the weapons grind, but not anymore. You were QQing for a nice long grind for PvP gear and you got it. Be happy and stop whining.