Where is this going ?

OrionSol

They've addressed all this stuff repeatedly. Search the forums or run a google search and you'll find the answers. If, instead, you're looking for precise time commitments to future stuff, that's just not going to happen. No one releases dates on that stuff until they are far enough along with their plans that they know when it will be ready.....because players will throw a massive fit if something is released 1 day after the announced date. I find it rather comical that someone who has played all 8 class stories (some of them more than once), leveled that many characters to max level and runs a large guild is claiming he doesn't have a "connection" to the game. They aren't ever going to keep you fully entertained. They can't crank out content fast enough to constantly have new content for someone who plays 7 days a week, 10 hours a day.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They said it. I enjoy calling BS on people for attributing stuff to developers they never said. But they said that one.

The statement you are thinking of is from before it was called an expansion. Not that it was the biggest expansion, but biggest free content update. The free part was what changed.

I never thought I'd agree with TUXs...

W00 h00! I will name my first child after you...well...he already has a name, but I'll start calling him Gezlin anyway :D

TUXs ... I owe you an apology. My bad.

No need. It was an honest mistake. That's why I was questioning it...I could have just as easily missed it last year (last year meaning 2012 AlienEyeTX...not 2013).

Newsflash: This year is not 2013. Who knows what it will be this year (2014).

Hello, McFly, think...

Right...I was referring to the event that occurred in 2013 which is why it was in ()'s - this year was used to indicate the most recent one..meaning in the past 12 months...a year.

The statement you are thinking of is from before it was called an expansion. Not that it was the biggest expansion, but biggest free content update. The free part was what changed.

Ah you are right. But even for a payed expansion it was somewhat small. Nevertheless very enjoyable for the first 2 times and fair priced.

Edited by chuuuuucky

Ah you are right. But even for a payed expansion it was somewhat small. Nevertheless very enjoyable for the first 2 times and fair priced.

Don't you dare say that. BioWare promised us a proper expansion with a lot of content and that it would be free. Nothing else matters - they said it so they have to stick to what they said - it was in a contract we signed in blood.

On another note, Netzero once said that they believed accessing the Intewebs should be free and thus at one time did not charge for their service for accessing the Interwebs. I been trying to organize a picket line outside of their office HQ to protest the fact that they have been charging for accessing the Interwebs for years now. Who's with me?! After all, their own company name reflects the fact that accessing the Interwebs should cost ZERO!

Edited by TravelersWay

Don't you dare say that. BioWare promised us a proper expansion with a lot of content and that it would be free. Nothing else matters - they said it so they have to stick to what they said - it was in a contract we signed in blood.

On another note, Netzero once said that they believed accessing the Intewebs should be free and thus at one time did not charge for their service for accessing the Interwebs. I been trying to organize a picket line outside of their office HQ to protest the fact that they have been charging for accessing the Interwebs for years now. Who's with me?! After all, their own company name reflects the fact that accessing the Interwebs should cost ZERO!

Maybe the Zero just refers to their profit margin? :eek:

But, yes, people take statements way too seriously and that's why they don't say jack anymore. Gone are the days when an idea could be bounced-around because so many people will take it as a "promise." They can't say, "We like the idea of player housing with customizable weather effects, so we're looking into that." People will be on the forums a week later whining and asking for a release date for player housing with customizable weather effects. A year later, they will throw it back in everyone's face as a broken promise and yet another slap. in. the. face.

Ultimately, gamers need to face the facts. The gaming industry is Big Business. Even the indie scene, for all the innocent youth and high moral ideals just boils down to trying to make money with games. The gaming industry is still relatively young - only about 30-odd years old at this point, so it still has a lot to learn from industries that have been around for much longer - like the retail industry. Thus far, it has shown signs of growing and maturing, and thusly, the even younger MMO genre has as well.

The Age of the Catasser is over. The Era of the Poopsocker has ended. The days of the PKer are past. This is the 21st Century of gaming and the 21st Century of the MMO genre. There will always be a place for the niche - Eve bears that out. We have been witness to a paradigm shift in the business model of the MMO. Those that refuse to accept the change will be left behind to find a new hobby to enjoy. Those that embrace it will help the genre grow and mature further. The Subscription based model is not going away completely. Also with that, people either don't know, or conveniently forget that the Free to Play model has been around just as long (if not longer) than the sub-based model. There are games that launched F2P in the late 90's that are still going strong today.

It is only because of the efforts of companies like Sony, Blizzard, and Origin Systems that the gaming community became convinced that you needed a subscription in order to produce an enjoyable MMO. That has never been the case, and we are now seeing the majority of the gaming community realizing that fact. Credit has to go to ArenaNet with the original Guild Wars for bucking the trend, and opening the eyes of gamers to the thriving Free to Play market. As a community, we are still not there yet - as evidenced by opinions and threads similar to this across all gaming outlets, but as I said, the industry is maturing and we are learning along with it. The hybrid Freemium model is the future of the genre. It offers the best of both worlds when done correctly. Sure, there will be mis-steps along the way, but that is all part of the learning process. Again, gamers have a choice. Either embrace the maturity and the future of the industry and help it grow in the correct direction or allow it to pass them by, continue living in the past, and ultimately go the way of the Dodo.

To the big Kettledrum...

The game is on the edge of a total disaster if they won't change policies on game update soon.

you do know that the largest update so far is coming with 2.8 right?

and you also know that this game is still very profitable right?

you do know that the largest update so far is coming with 2.8 right?

and you also know that this game is still very profitable right?

The game was still profitable in a given period (2013). Now we do not have any data. As the largest updates so far that is coming with 2.8.... Actually we don't know anything more that it will set a NIM of Dread Palace (an 1yearoldraid) and a new role within space pvp.

But beyond that, what we get are only rumors. You can say what you want but you can't change facts.

The game was still profitable in a given period (2013). Now we do not have any data. As the largest updates so far that is coming with 2.8.... Actually we don't know anything more that it will set a NIM of Dread Palace (an 1yearoldraid) and a new role within space pvp.

But beyond that, what we get are only rumors. You can say what you want but you can't change facts.

so your opinion that this game is headed to total disaster is now a fact :rak_02:

as for your examples, considering how we are still early into the year so of course we got no data, but 2013 was a success and so it is very possible that this game can continue to thrive this year. As for 2.8, they have revealed very little so far since its still very early and we have not even gotten through 2.7 yet but we will most likely see more of whats coming as we get closer. As for calling Dread Palace "an oneyearoldraid" I have to stop you there, right now its only 5 months old (released October 1 2013), by 2.8 it still not even going to be a year old yet.

so your opinion that this game is headed to total disaster is now a fact :rak_02:

He didn't say that. You're making things up.

As for calling Dread Palace "an oneyearoldraid" I have to stop you there, right now its only 5 months old (released October 1 2013), by 2.8 it still not even going to be a year old yet.

Regardless, it's old content that is becoming more and more stale as the days go by and it was a tiny Ops when it was released...it hasn't magically gotten any bigger.

He didn't say that. You're making things up.

Actually I did not

The game is on the edge of a total disaster if they won't change policies on game update soon.

as for the old content thing, yeah it is but still its not nearly as old as the guy said it was, and also its not all that is coming with 2.8, I don't know what exactly is coming but still it should be a sizable amount of content at least considering the biggest update so far boast.

Edited by Sangrar

2) Waste of time and resources, though player housing was recently datamined. This is a themepark game, and the point of it is to go out and kill things, not sit around a ship sipping tea.

3a) Sandbox=Litterbox. I play and enjoy this game because it is a themepark. If I wanted to play in a sandbox, my daughter has one out in the backyard I can use for free. Like player housing, Implementing sandbox elements is a waste of time and resources better spent creating actual playable content..

I find posts like this so hilarious. I don't raid and I don't play GSF, yet I don't go around calling new raid and GSF content a waste of time and resources just because I don't like them.

A smart MMO will try to appeal to as many niches as possible by tossing out periodic bones to different playstyles. TOR has been decent at this so far and I will be shocked if they don't ultimately release some sort of housing.

People throw out sandbox without really knowing what it means. They oppose it on principle because they assume people want this to be SWG 2.0. Too bad I can name a half dozen themepark MMOs off the top of my head that have player housing. It's 2014, games don't have to be pure sandbox or pure themepark anymore. Even WoW is getting housing.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a waste of time and resources, ma'am.

(PS: For the people who like sandbox features like customizable housing, I can assure you that many, many hours of playable content can be found in them. That's like me saying that raids are not playable content because I don't like them.)

Edited by Beltane

I find posts like this so hilarious. I don't raid and I don't play GSF, yet I don't go around calling new raid and GSF content a waste of time and resources just because I don't like them.

A smart MMO will try to appeal to as many niches as possible by tossing out periodic bones to different playstyles. TOR has been decent at this so far and I will be shocked if they don't ultimately release some sort of housing.

People throw out sandbox without really knowing what it means. They oppose it on principle because they assume people want this to be SWG 2.0. Too bad I can name a half dozen themepark MMOs off the top of my head that have player housing. It's 2014, games don't have to be pure sandbox or pure themepark anymore. Even WoW is getting housing.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a waste of time and resources, ma'am.

(PS: For the people who like sandbox features like customizable housing, I can assure you that many, many hours of playable content can be found in them. That's like me saying that raids are not playable content because I don't like them.)

A smart MMO (or product in general) does NOT try to appeal to every corner of the market. That's a recipe for disaster. It means a product with a bunch of odds and ends as features but nothing really solid.

A smart MMO (or product in general) does NOT try to appeal to every corner of the market. That's a recipe for disaster. It means a product with a bunch of odds and ends as features but nothing really solid.

When I was I bible college( preaching class) and basically if you aim at everything you will hit nothing. Video games appeal to certain niches and that is where they make their money.

When I was I bible college( preaching class) and basically if you aim at everything you will hit nothing. Video games appeal to certain niches and that is where they make their money.

This is solid advice coming from a business selling the same over hyped ******** for 2000 years and still making a profit.

Actually they really do, hence why you have PVE, PVP, raids, collecting pets and whatever else all these MMOs do. They want to try to tap into as many different playstyles as possible so they can expand their population. I mean just what exactly do you think GSF was about? Trying to add in a new feature that didn't exist to attract a different playerbase (the flight sim/xwing crowd). You can debate how well any one of these features stands out on their own based on how good the company is, but there is no doubt adding in as many different possible features as possible is intentional and a goal of theirs and just about every other MMO on the market (successful or not).

Seriously, WOW even put in pokemon battles their last xpac. You can't tell me that was just an addition to some other pre-existing playstyle in that game.

Edited by hadoken