A perfect example of the ability delay

Corwingeorge

Yep

This is a game breaking issue

Unfortunately, we'll probably have to wait until 1.1 to see it fixed (not sure it will matter by then, the game might already be in the bargain bin and free to play)

Don't be discouraged by the KOTOR/Star Wars tryhards, who tell you "IT JUST CAME LOL OUT ON A DAY AGO STOP RUSH"; any competitive player recognizes the issue you've brought up as a serious concern

Sketchy was here ....^

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep

This is a game breaking issue

Unfortunately, we'll probably have to wait until 1.1 to see it fixed (not sure it will matter by then, the game might already be in the bargain bin and free to play)

Don't be discouraged by the KOTOR/Star Wars tryhards, who tell you "IT JUST CAME LOL OUT ON A DAY AGO STOP RUSH"; any competitive player recognizes the issue you've brought up as a serious concern

You are in the wrong genre for competitive play.

yea this has really been bothering me. I've been leveling as and planning on playing a healer endgame, it makes healing really awkward.

I'll press a button, the cast bar will fill, .5-1 sec later my toon's hand shoots out and preforms the action and green numbers pop up, but as soon as that cast bar is filled my gcd is already done and i'm pushing the button again to chain cast, but because of the ability delay the game is still thinking about the first cast and misses my second one.

This worries me greatly.

truth

Granted my Agent is only level 25 at the moment, but I have had 0 issues with heals being canceled because I had to move. Maybe I'm not doing the right flashpoints, but I've done pretty much everything up to 25, including two world bosses and haven't had a problem.

People seem to want the ability to just sit there and que up heal after heal like they did in WoW. The only probably with doing that in SWTOR is that you will run out of energy pretty fast, so it wouldn't be a good thing anyway.

I just feel like instead of complaning about x feature, people should try adjusting to how the game was designed. You'll enjoy it more.

I haven't played WoW since I hit 60 in WoW vanilla and got bored, so to me this whole game feels nothing like the WoW I played. Even WoW in it's current state feels nothing like the WoW I played. All I can gather from your post is that the issue doesn't seem to affect everyone equally. Because I have missed countless heals because I tried to move while my channel meter was full. As it stands now, I just tank AOEs or any other form of damage until I'm done casting otherwise I risk letting someone die.

Edited by FriendlyHobo

I haven't played WoW since I hit 60 in WoW vanilla and got bored, so to me this whole game feels nothing like the WoW I played. Even WoW in it's current state feels nothing like the WoW I played. All I can gather from your post is that the issue doesn't seem to affect everyone equally. Because I have missed countless heals because I tried to move while my channel meter was full. As it stands now, I just tank AOEs or any other form of damage until I'm done casting otherwise I risk letting someone die.

Maybe I'm just missing it, enough people seem to have an issue with it. I mean I've had to cancel heals to move out of AoE, but I don't think I've ever had a full cast bar not go off because I had to move.

Unfortunately I can't log on to test it until Tuesday night, damn Christmas holiday :p

Some of the things wrong with this game, makes me wonder if the developers actually played for any quanititive amount of time. Because a week after release I would have atleast 11-13 pages worth of bugs, fixes, adjustments, and things that need to be implemented to make this mmo feel polished, can't believe this is out of beta.

Some of the things wrong with this game, makes me wonder if the developers actually played for any quanititive amount of time. Because a week after release I would have atleast 11-13 pages worth of bugs, fixes, adjustments, and things that need to be implemented to make this mmo feel polished, can't believe this is out of beta.

Because the overall game isn't pretty polished right? Servers are crashing constantly? It's just downright unplayable. :rolleyes:

You've obviously never been in a bad MMO release. You should play FFXIV. That game has been out for over a year now and is still in a beta phase.

You will get this feeling from time to time, with pretty much ANY new MMO. If you've ever played WoW, you should be aware of the exact same thing. So Blizzard is not immune to this either.

They do have a list of bugs, but they also have their own priorities. Just because you don't see it fixed right away, doesn't mean it won't be fixed later on. Asking for every possible bug and ideal implementation to be fixed on launch is unrealistic.

And in terms of an MMO being out of Beta, this has been relatively polished when you compare to other MMO's out of Beta.

Yes you can say WoW beta issues were 7 years ago, and this is the new decade. But at any decade, bugs will exist from a game of such magnitude, on launch. Bugs exist from many other programs on launch, let alone an MMO. How many updates has Windows 7 gone through?

Edited by Lazorous

A free on top message, but this delay issue is pointless at this time, since every player has the same issue. means no one got any advantage out of it.

so, if this is an issue i don't know from my perspective, since its a summoning time of 0,5 seconds, of you just need 0,6 for mounting so....

Not really. Snipers for instance need to be in cover before they use many moves. That delay causes a double delay and makes for some frustrating battles.

Not really sure if this helps get around the problem(I honestly don't really understand the problem here), but I seem to remember an option under preferences where you could adjust some sort of delay between your abilities. Would that help? Is that option still in?

that's different, thats a que for you to que an ability before it's ready. we're talking about the ability actually executing

Casting Disturbance often seems to take twice as long as it should. The cast timer reaches 1.50 seconds, then starts over from the beginning - and that's in addition to the delay before the Disturbance is actually cast and starts to travel towards the target. Every time I'm wondering what the hell is going on. Do I suffer some kind of pushback when my companion gets hit or what? Incredibly annoying :mad:

This is an odd one for me. On the one hand I see the issue; on the other, it still feels like we're just seeing a different level of client smoothing than some other games present (because everyone always has a ~120 ms round trip regardless; no online game has no latency involved). I think there's certainly more that could be done to give things that smoother feel, but equally, as others have pointed out, it ought to affect everyone identically. Tough one. Certainly worth investigation.

I had that when I played WoW after six years of work. Quite a bit of it would also be labelled subjective. What's your point? Big projects like MMOs are never finished. Are you actually planning on contributing to the thread's topic?

Edited by Grammarye

I don't know if this has been brought up in this thread yet, but even in PVE the delay is really starting to hurt me as a Healer. Casting a spell & having an AoE ability come at me forcing me to skip the cast is especially frustrating where i'm waiting till the very last second to get the cast off before moving only for the spell to just cancel, putting me behind in healing.

Also another issue with the delay is if you cast > move a few times, your casting bar doesnt show up for the following cast, if you have your nameplate up it shows under that.

I dont play WoW anymore, but the casting was smooth as an army of Dolphins, I dont think anyone can deny that :p

I'll add my support to this thread.

This is a large issue in my opinion.

Even in PvE and when questing, the ability delay is annoying.

Sometime I can click abilities and they don't go off, this seems to happen more with DoT abilities like Crushing Darkness and channeled ones like Force Lightning.

Even when healing this creeps in, many times a player in the group dies not because I didn't cast a heal, but because despite the cast finishing, due to the delay the player doesnt recieve the health until 0.5 seconds after the casts finish... very annoying.

Combat is a crucial element that must be more conistent and very responsive in any MMO. I know there's a long list of things that need urgent work like the UI, Mods, FPS Performance etc, but I believe this awful combat delay should be right up the top with things that need attention now.

Edited by Naekyr

This is a BIG issue for any serious pvpers .... so yeah, actually it concerns a lot of people, despite what you may think!

We are not all Roleplayers or Dungeon-crawlers....

This is cute, how do you gauge that YOU are a serious player? Do you get paid or sponsored? Unless you do, I am pretty sure that you only count as "self proclaimed serious player".

But keep on flippin those burgers kid.

I'm not gonna say cya or can I have your stuff..

I am gonna say that if you didn't have blinkers on you would realise this ALSO AFFECTS PVE DPS/HPS!!!..

ZOMG OMGWTFBBQPWNZLOLOL NOOOOOOO

Yes it does, because it slows my sentinel down something cruel (Animation lag and attack sequencing).

I swear sometimes you "Pure" PvE people make me want to rip out my own intestines and hang myself with them.

Please do so.... then perhaps you and others like yourself would learn reading comprehension, he stated plainly in his post that through his knowledge it has yet to affect him or those he knows, it is the same for me. My self and the people I know this is a nonissue.

I'm just glad someone made a post about this.

I have pointed it out to my friends - even went over to their house to verify it wasn't my PC. They don't see the problem/issue even though it acts just like it does on my PC.

They also think that the Starfox 64 dailies are groundbreaking though...

it's blowing my mind that this isn't an issue to some people. damn casuals

It doesn't bother me because I haven't experienced it. I know what you're talking about, I've experienced it in other games (Warhammer in particular was derailed by this), and I've always considered it to be a huge problem if not an outright game breaker. I just haven't experienced it here yet. Maybe it's server based, maybe it's because my class uses primarily instants and I just haven't been tripped up by it yet, I don't know. There's enough people griping about it that I believe it's a problem. But it's not a problem I've encountered. My first impression of the combat was that it was smooth, crisp and responsive, and that hasn't changed.