Rakghoul Event: Focused Feedback

The_Grand_Nagus

1) What is your overall impression of the event?

Best words to describe how I feel about this are banned on this board.

2) What aspects of the event do you like?

What I especially like at this event is that it will end.

3) What aspects of the event do you not like?

The existence of this event really ******* me off

4) What suggestions do you have for improving the event in the future?

Give people a chance to opt out from such events!

I had to transfer money to my low level chars to be able to play (peoples who don't have a higher lvl might not be able to afford the vaccines)

Edited by Dani_P

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And finally the Eyeless boss. Seemed a bit too easy. And by that I mean, I guess I went into the fight expecting a mechanic or two other than watch your step and burn. But overall I do like the boss himself. Just expected more I guess.

Make the next event boss, different first and foremost, (not the Eyeless just on another planet) but also throw in a mechanic or two other than not standing in stupid.

You would be surprised how many people have problems with not standing in the circles. I have not met a competent group ever since I ran SM/HM on my main. Since then it was pure chaos...

Yes, you didn't say anything explicitly about PvP, but you said Pubs and Imps should run in separate tunnels. I assumed it was to avoid ganking and stuff, apparently it is not. Okay, then why do you want the tunnels separated?

And no, I have been down there since the beginning of the event. The only mob that is impossible for solo players to defeat is the Tunnel Lurker. I don't think any part of the tunnels needs to be called a heroic area, except the Epicentre (which already is).

It just seemed like too many people running around in a small area, that being said, the pvpers on pvp servers may in fact be loving this event for that reason. So again it comes down to point of view. On the last all I can do is go by what happened when I was down there. It seemed very much like a heroic. Again its a point of view.

1. It is made of awesome, and wrapped in bacon. It's great to have it back in a new form rather than an exact rehash, and I'm glad it's differently gated than the prior event. I had a hard time completing the event on a single character last time because of play time restriction. It's great that I've done all of the event, and even on multiple characters. It feels different, like the plague has progressed, and that the SWTOR universe is dynamically evolving. Good on ya, BioWare.

2. The addition of bolstering for the PvE Operation boss was a grand idea. It was nice to bring in a 26dps and 48 tank and be effective! I also like the new format (going back to gating), the new reputation rewards (I WILL have an infected Dewback!), and the ability to trade in old DNA samples (at a 50-1 ratio) for cannisters.

3. I did not like the 1k purchase requirement for the operations quest. It's 1k - a total pittance, which wasn't the problem. It just seemed like a silly gating. Also, the inability to QT directly to the tunnels from outside was a PITA.

4. I would like to see organized PvP quests. I know, so many Gree whiners ruined that chance, but PvPers should get some love. I would also like to see better spawn times on the Fungal elites. Lastly, when it goes to other worlds, I would like an area not in tunnels (which I see from the Achievements section won't happen, but I can dream, right?).

The Rakghoul event is back, and so is the buzz that comes with it. Some is positive, some is negative, some is lost in the noise. If you have experience participating or being effected by the Rakghoul event, answer the following questions:

Decent but ultimately the same. Daily area on a timer.

Love the look of the tunnels. WB and Ops bosses, very nice touches. Sweet Sweet rewards.

Like in 1, the using of the standard event mold BW seems to have adopted. Rest under 4.

I would like if a future event would emulate the original tattooine plague. The staged nature of it would really brake up the monotony of unlock able quest terminals we have going on with current events. I assume that concept was binned cos the treasure hunt event wasn't exactly well received, but it must be said, that was a case of botched execution, not botched concept. It was fun to wait for the 2nd stage to drop. It was not fun when the second stage turned out to be rather underwhelming.

Overall I am enjoying the event.

I like a bit of the RP and "something different" to do aspects.

The first outbreak was more dynamic, but this is very static, it would be nice if there were maybe some progression, or at least more quests that rotated, to make it feel more dynamic, like we are responding to en every changing ground condition.

PvP flagging is still not working well on PvE servers, which makes people complain a lot about it. People complaining the whole time makes the event markedly less enjoyable. The same could be said for the vaccine and cost.

The quarantine aspect of the original event is missing, THORN containment teams should be posted at star ports and especially on starter worlds, to make it harder to harass new players who might be confused and get frustrated. The vaccine should be cheaper and and more persistent in areas outside of the tunnel/world boss. I have seen almost every non-capped players trying to participate in the event have trouble getting groups for the heroic 4 because no one else in their level range, making the entire tunnel system a bolster zone would help that, and probably help them get into more story groups.

Once I've done something, doing it again every day on multiple toons is way too much like a job. I play to blow off steam from my job, so having a game that's like a job is a non-starter. It was different, but not well thought out. If they want to do these kind of events, they need to spend more than the time to recolor something and throw it on the CM.

The tunnels were just about perfect, good atmosphere and appropriately spooky.

The whole thing seems to be built around the concept of daily quests. I have enough of that with my 'daily' commute, and 'daily' agile project meetings. I gave up on the dailies on day 2. I just couldn't bring myself to grinding away for worthless pixels and a relic that i don't need.

Also, all the bleating announcements about how tight the quarantine was, and how people showing symptoms would be summarily killed was just annoying. The quests given encouraged griefing others, infecting people who declined to participate or where too low level to participate. If you're going to 'quarantine' a planet, do it right or shut up about it.

Also, keep the darn factions separate or label the event as PVP only. Some jerks just can't resist the lure of two shotting someone 20+ levels below them. There are reasons why a lot of us don't play on PVP servers, where that kind of thing comes with the choice of servers.

1) Fix the quarantine so people not choosing to participate don't have to participate. Unwilling victim is not a RP choice. This should be for PVE servers only. On PVP servers, this type of thing should be expected.

2) New content beats daily grind events every time. And newly colored shinys on the Cartel Market are not new content.

3) Work on the rewards. New skins that just look preposterous (that blast rifle is a case in point) or which are so small they can hardly be noticed (lightsabers) are not going to motivate me for days at a time to grind the same stuff over and over.

4) If you're going to add group only content, make it addressable via the LFG option. I gave up spamming messages in general chat trying to put together a group a long long while ago.

1. Nice change of pace for some new content.

2. It's zombies. Also some upgrades don't require massive grinding or ops to get.

3. Non-stop griefing. Training high level mobs onto lowbie players...or waiting for lowbie player to spawn mobs and then steal/farming then with high level AoE. PvP flagging griefing.

No support for multi-leveled groups.

4. Allow players to downgrade their level to match a party, will make finding groups for group content better.

I felt it was average in the fact that it's basically dailies and a couple of boss fights. First couple of days were entertaining but then it got old, really old...to the point where I didn't feel like grinding it, but did anyhow so I could get my pet.

I thought the setting was nicely done, very pretty, very other worldly.

I hated the moving Vendor.

I hated that a lot of people were getting forced into pvp on pve servers...people who had no desire to pvp were getting flagged by a poorly designed game mechanic, that really needs to be examined and changed, so that folks on pve servers can fully enjoy their experience and use all their skills without worry.

I didn't like that you need cannisters to purchase every little thing. A mix of money and cannisters would have been more to my liking.

Nail the Jawa down, or have a stationary version you can use after fulfilling the 'find him' quest.

Fix the autoflagging business so people aren't unhappy about being dragged into fights they want no part of.

Let people buy some items with credits option as well as cannisters or cans and credits.

Make the bosses have separate instances so people can't be creeps and drag them away from people who've started them. Let everyone have the same chance fairly.

Make the injection less $, so that new players aren't burdened by the cost, and note, I said new people.

I'd like to see a mount that can be solo earned as well, thru a series of challenging pve soloable quests or a scavenger hunt.

Give people more incentive to contaminate each other, perhaps include a nice little pet reward or something.

These are just my thoughts and I don't care to debate them, as I've done more than enough debating the last couple of days. Don't like what I wrote, that's cool, just don't expect me to fight about it, I'm tired, and sicky. :o

Edited by Lunafox

My problem with events like this is that my game time is restricted by work and family commitments. I simply cant put in the time to get anywhere.

If these were permanent content additions (like the Bounty Hunter) I could work at it over time (months in my case).

Short lived content like this is useless to me.

The Rakghoul event is back, and so is the buzz that comes with it. Some is positive, some is negative, some is lost in the noise. If you have experience participating or being effected by the Rakghoul event, answer the following questions:

1. Underwhelming.

2. I like the tunnels, they do look pretty

3. The fact it's just like another rep grind, the missions are daily missions and weren't staggered like the first event, they brought back stuff from the first event which I think should have been left there, and there are no PVP titles :(

4. PVP titles and PVP missions

1. Decent event. Started with a great story background and urge of emergency to contain rakghoul infection in alderaan so that the rest of the galaxy don't get infected.

2. it provides to a whole lot of player with something new to do rather than only end game players. i personally like the heroic and the Operation boss. also the achievement hunting.

3. as my 1st point stated it had the urge of emergency and plight of help from the CEO of GSI to stop Rakghoul virus once and for all so that the galaxy don't get infected. but allowing infected players to leave the rakghoul cave complete breaks the immersion as it is completely against the containment setup of the entire event. i hated it completely, i completely lost interest.

4. my suggestion will be to change the design in following manner :

a) Rakghoul Vaccine must be taken before getting infected by the virus, taking it after infection will have no effect.

b) After being infected players will not be allowed to leave the cave or use fleet pass or any other priority transport while they are infected within cave. they will also be unable to use group finder, wz queue and gsf queue as long as they are infected within the cave.

c) there shall be another way to leave the cave which will be guarded by several champion rakghoul and which can only be used after killing a certain rakghoul champion boss. this boss will guard the exit and will have a one time pass code to open a secret lift to the surface. this boss will require at least 16 players to kill and pass code will not be shared outside the OPs.

d) after players come out in the open they can use all transport function again.

These changes will make the event more intense and will not break the immersion of event.

An optional setting can be this : on fleet there will be "incinerator npc" who are strong category, 2 of them will come to incinerate the infected players and they can be killed; but can only be killed by the player they have targeted to incinerate. if someone kills 10 of these incinerators they become hostile to all players in the fleet and they can attack any player and infect them regardless if others are pvp flagged or not.

1) What is your overall impression of the event? Very well done. Loved the event and it was great implementation

2) What aspects of the event do you like? The rak virus is very interesting and having pvp in the instance is great fun. Esp when ppl think they can take you and you kill them with ease :D

3) What aspects of the event do you not like? 10 bloody seconds till event finished. That is a absolute joke. 5 mins warning so ppl could hand in completed quests would of just been nice. Even 2 mins. Ten seconds is just stupid and should not be repeated ever again.

4) What suggestions do you have for improving the event in the future? See above.

1. Adds a nice twist and variety to the SWTOR universe. :)

2. The glowing within the tunnels ! That looked really cool !

3. Some Raks not scaling / being only for level 55+ (the yellow ones, for example), but at least their dropped pets are legacy-bound, if I remember correctly.

The symbiote drop from the Eyeless One should drop much more often. Same with the Lylek and the other pets.

To be able to do rthe Eyeless One only once per event is a bit short - okay, I can switch between story mode and hard mode (dunno about nightmare mode, since I never do it), but even for hard mode, there are only a few players willing to do it - at least O hardlöy ever saw calls for members for hard mode in the general chat within the tunnels.

The event world boss should be scalable aas well, perhaps in its own instance like Toborro's Courtyard on Makeb.

[As a player who is not (voluntarily) participating in the Event, my comments only relate to how it appears and how it impacts on non-participants and the rest of game play. I have no comment on the Event on Alderaan nor do I have any problems with that aspect of the Event.]

1. It's overall impact on the whole game is poorly thought through, poorly implemented and undermines some key gaming policies. It has had a strong negative impact on non-participating players who just want to get on with the rest of the game.

2. Parts of the Event make no sense. Alderaan is supposed to be under quarantine but it isn't in reality. Security on Fleet and elsewhere is totally absent and everyone is made a forced victim of the plague spreaders who spread across the planets unchecked. While plague spreaders can target ordinary players, ordinary players are nothing but hapless victims and have no means of attacking or isolating plague spreaders.

3. As implemented this Event undermines Bioware's policy to date of allowing players choice in what parts of the game they wish to participate in.

None.

1. The forced participation implicit in the plague mechanic and the lack of any form of quarantine.

2. Having quests and achievements for spreading the plague but not for stopping the plague just seems dumb and contrary to the story line.

3. The fact that the Event rewards the griefing of non-participants leaving them with additional cost, inconvenience and a nasty interrupt when all they want to do is enjoy the rest of the game is also dumb.

4. While there is a relic to avoid the effects of the plague, perversely this is only available to people participating in the Event (the perps) not the hapless victims.

5. Impeding access to Fleet by non-participants who can not access trainers, mail, cargo holds, the GTN without coming under attack from plague spreaders. Fleet is for personal business necessary for progression in the rest of the game and should not be made a war zone - one sided or otherwise. In other MMORPGs such places are designated as sanctuaries where conflict is suspended for exactly those reasons.

6. The attacks on lowbie planets by plague spreaders to speed up quest and achievement completion is a low blow. As is holding an event which seems to have the most attraction to bored level 55s on a lowbie planet suspending normal activity for those levelling on that planet in this version of the Event.

1. Plan Events in the context of all game activity and don't assume everyone wants to participate. Let players choose whether to participate or not.

2. Don't have quests or achievements encouraging griefing and don't force non-participants to be hapless victims.

3. Don't penalise non-participants with additional cost, inconvenience and nasty interrupts.

4. Enforce quarantines and don't set up assymetric power relationships (targeting of victims, but no targeting of plague spreaders).

5. Don't broadcast announcements which are manifestly untrue (existence of a quarantine) or made impossible by the game mechanic (stopping of plague spreaders).

Edited by Vendd

Fun, a little grindy, enjoyable, cooperative and comptetitive

The sense that more is to come in terms of the T.H.O.R.N storyline. The beautiful tunnels. The implication that the connection of Rakghouls to fungus is intriguing (cordycept fungus anyone?) The guns and sabers all look awesome, and kinda unique. Fun achievements. A tough Ops boss. Companion customizations for non-humans, and an expectation of infested pets and mounts.

The republic THORN rep is insane, but the empire THORN rep is rational. I hope we hear more from both.

Providing the relics that give ongoing protection from plague was great, and SHOULD stop people from complaining about forced participation. But whatayagonnado.

Better titles. The armor is kinda lacking design-wise. The green armor, while cooler, also looks like its a computer graphics artifact with a pale green color that doesn't reflect light or seem to absorb shadow. Very off putting, but maybe some like it. Having to wait for mounts and guns/sabers :) Worry I can't get the Lylek pet now, if, as i expect, the next planets the plague go to have the other 2 pets. While I have a set of Containment armor from last time, I was really hoping to get the Republic version this time, so I can get the Well Dressed achievement. (I also wish you could add armor to your collection, to outfit companions and other chars but....)

Allow the containment armor back for people who want it. Make it cost a lot or otherwise hard to get. Keep the plotline interesting with a cool reveal when it gets to the last planet. Maybe give us a new companion, like a fungal rakghoul or something. Make him romanceable :rak_03:

To enhance the immersion of living in a dangerous plague, bring back the actual containment officers that attacked you as you went back to your ship if you were infected.

Edited by Hierodule

5. Don't broadcast announcements which are manifestly untrue (existence of a quarantine) or made impossible by the game mechanic (stopping of plague spreaders).

THIS. I mean, the empire is crazy and evil but "report for incineration"? really? (though having ongoing announcements was fun. Make 'em better!

THIS. I mean, the empire is crazy and evil but "report for incineration"? really? (though having ongoing announcements was fun. Make 'em better!

I enjoyed those announcements, especially the incineration one.

Edit: to contribute to the topic itself:

Overall, it was nice.

I like that it is recurring, because I don't want to do everything in one week. The tunnels were great. Running through the dailies was great the first times, though it got annoying quickly, just like all daily quest.

I liked the Imperial questgiver in the tunnels (I wish I could have flirted with him...), the opening on the fleet itself wasn't to my liking, though.

I love the announcements on the Imperial side. So much fun to listen to :D

The H4 quest was also enjoyable and I liked being able to do the quests on my lower level characters.

I'm not really a fan of grind and OPS, and I prefer instanced areas or at least no reps in the same area (though this became a problem only once). I do acknowledge, however, that most player prefer it this way, so this just represents my little mindset and can easily be ignored.

Make it easier for lower level characters to find a group for the Heroic (some have suggested bolster), deactivate the infection in warzones and let me flirt with the Imperial questgiver in the tunnels (he was so cute :D) (don't take this too seriously...)

And please, I don't care what some people say, please don't change these announcements, they are awesome :D

Edited by Sorei

[As a player who is not (voluntarily) participating in the Event, my comments only relate to how it appears and how it impacts on non-participants and the rest of game play. I have no comment on the Event on Alderaan nor do I have any problems with that aspect of the Event.]

1. It's overall impact on the whole game is poorly thought through, poorly implemented and undermines some key gaming policies. It has had a strong negative impact on non-participating players who just want to get on with the rest of the game.

2. Parts of the Event make no sense. Alderaan is supposed to be under quarantine but it isn't in reality. Security on Fleet and elsewhere is totally absent and everyone is made a forced victim of the plague spreaders who spread across the planets unchecked. While plague spreaders can target ordinary players, ordinary players are nothing but hapless victims and have no means of attacking or isolating plague spreaders.

3. As implemented this Event undermines Bioware's policy to date of allowing players choice in what parts of the game they wish to participate in.

None.

1. The forced participation implicit in the plague mechanic and the lack of any form of quarantine.

2. Having quests and achievements for spreading the plague but not for stopping the plague just seems dumb and contrary to the story line.

3. The fact that the Event rewards the griefing of non-participants leaving them with additional cost, inconvenience and a nasty interrupt when all they want to do is enjoy the rest of the game is also dumb.

4. While there is a relic to avoid the effects of the plague, perversely this is only available to people participating in the Event (the perps) not the hapless victims.

5. Impeding access to Fleet by non-participants who can not access trainers, mail, cargo holds, the GTN without coming under attack from plague spreaders. Fleet is for personal business necessary for progression in the rest of the game and should not be made a war zone - one sided or otherwise. In other MMORPGs such places are designated as sanctuaries where conflict is suspended for exactly those reasons.

6. The attacks on lowbie planets by plague spreaders to speed up quest and achievement completion is a low blow. As is holding an event which seems to have the most attraction to bored level 55s on a lowbie planet suspending normal activity for those levelling on that planet in this version of the Event.

1. Plan Events in the context of all game activity and don't assume everyone wants to participate. Let players choose whether to participate or not.

2. Don't have quests or achievements encouraging griefing and don't force non-participants to be hapless victims.

3. Don't penalise non-participants with additional cost, inconvenience and nasty interrupts.

4. Enforce quarantines and don't set up assymetric power relationships (targeting of victims, but no targeting of plague spreaders).

This....everything he said, I'm co-signing.

This. It would be great to have some 55 elite enforcers in the fleet or at least a mechanism that will prevent infected to get into fleet. Ok, you did not do that, fine. Then don't keep announcing the non existing quarantine at every 5 minutes.

1) What is your overall impression of the event? Thoroughly enjoyed it!

2) What aspects of the event do you like? I liked having it in the caverns instead of the open world.

3) What aspects of the event do you not like? Having the opposite faction with the ability to camp the single exit out of the base (in the caverns), before you could even get to any quest area. Made it very difficult doing some of the "basic" quests on lowbies when level 55's sit within a rock's throw of the base itself.

4) What suggestions do you have for improving the event in the future? Fix the base entrance (grapple hook area) to keep out the opposite faction. A minor thing to me overall but the only thing I can think of. No suggestions otherwise.

My Feedback is this event was garbage. Reusing a cut Area of Makeb for the tunnels is boring. Making all of the rewards repallets or reskins is lazy. Having all of the achievements that give titles or rewards but stupidly hard to get and revolve around chance and time-sinks rather then skill and group game-play shows Bioware took the easy way out again. I expect better but know it will never get delivered.

Mostly positive. It seems rather less time intensive than the illum event, with less appealing rewards. I see some potential here if it is expanded next time.

Spreading of the infection! The caverns are quite neat and I like exploring them, and I like the idea of walking through a city I once thought was safe and being attacked by the infected.

I hate to say this, but the rewards are not as I expected. I like the models, but I do not like the colour scheme and I do not like how the green / orange colour is forced (doesn't seem to be effected by colour kits). Frankly, I'd use the gear on some characters if I could customize them more. As it stands, I'm just collecting the infected skins for my crew because I'm a sick man.

More gear, more customization for the gear. Different locations; more (optional) PVP aspect a la Gree Event.

Don't listen to the PVE-only people, there are plenty of people like me who are able to handle BOTH. Just make it optional.

- Arcada