78, 34, 180, .. Can we please use more numbers to describe the same level gear.

AgustusCaesar

Can we please use more numbers to describe the same level gear. It is not confusing enough.

It was almost like 3 different teams where used to create the armor we use today, One team made armoring, another modds , and the last enhancements. And when it came time to make sets they could not come to an agreement on what ranking system to use , and so the compromise was to use all three.

Yes Yes If i was more pro, or less bad i could understand it all and make since and not get confused, but why can BW use one ranking system. ?

Why do the progression tiers always skip 3 numbers like that? (66,69,72). Then there's no 75 (used to be Kell Dragon right?) and suddenly, a 78. Not to mentione 65 and 67 are scattered in between as PvP gear.

Is the number 3 supposed to mean something?

It was almost like 3 different teams where used to create the armor we use today, One team made armoring, another mods , and the last enhancements. And when it came time to make sets they could not come to an agreement on what ranking system to use , and so the compromise was to use all three.

Sounds like the last three releases of Microsoft Office products. Replace "armoring, mods, and enhancements" with "word, excel, and powerpoint" and you've got the same results.

Hey, maybe BW hired the Microsoft guys to consult on the gear system!

Sounds like the last three releases of Microsoft Office products. Replace "armoring, mods, and enhancements" with "word, excel, and powerpoint" and you've got the same results.

Ha! I laughed for realzies on this one.

Huh? All Office bundles have the same naming for ages. You have MS Office <number, usually year of release>, and the programs keep the same logic

Can we please use more numbers to describe the same level gear. It is not confusing enough.

It was almost like 3 different teams where used to create the armor we use today, One team made armoring, another modds , and the last enhancements. And when it came time to make sets they could not come to an agreement on what ranking system to use , and so the compromise was to use all three.

Yes Yes If i was more pro, or less bad i could understand it all and make since and not get confused, but why can BW use one ranking system. ?

one is the crafting level (34) other is the mod level (78) and the final is the rating(180) all have different meanings for different reasons. As far as I know nobody uses the rating and stick with the mod level unless you are crafting then it jumps to the other.

why? probably based on whatever context is being used for whatever calculation is being performed, to make programmers lives easier and to make it less "empty" (huge leaps inbetween 'levels"). Think of them as lists and you have lists containing similar elements. You can keep both lists the same size and use a single index (but wastes space) or have multiple indexes and make it more complex.

As an example there are certain bands in crafting so the rate at which you add levels will be slower than the rate at which mods will "level". Crafting level 2 might be mod level 6, crafting level 3 would include mod level 8, where as crafting level 10 would be something like mod level 25. There isnt an easy 1:1 conversion (say divide by 2) so need separate identifiers for appropriate levels.

Why do the progression tiers always skip 3 numbers like that? (66,69,72). Then there's no 75 (used to be Kell Dragon right?) and suddenly, a 78. Not to mentione 65 and 67 are scattered in between as PvP gear.

The stats increase based on a formula. They are derived from that level. Even though there isn't 71 gear, we could work out what the stats for it would be.

LOL It is a mess. And I cant believe they haven't normalized them all 2 years later.

75 is still obtainable afaik.

The stats increase based on a formula. They are derived from that level. Even though there isn't 71 gear, we could work out what the stats for it would be.

Well, since I don't know what this formula is, any enlightenment would help me. Seriously, my inner OCD cringes when I see 58, 61, 63, 65, 66, 67, 69, 72, 78. :p

75 is still obtainable afaik.

Really? How?

I got one, Tier 10, though for some reason few people want to use it. :cool:

Well, since I don't know what this formula is, any enlightenment would help me. Seriously, my inner OCD cringes when I see 58, 61, 63, 65, 66, 67, 69, 72, 78. :p

There are certain lookup tables the game uses to get the coefficients for damage and healing formulas, and they contain values for all gear levels from 1 to 100, I think. The developers use the gear level that they deem fitting for the content.

During leveling, the gear levels are sequential so that you can still do a class quest if your gear is a few levels behind. In the endgame, however, you are not supposed to clear a raid with one tier below it, that's why they increase it by 3 steps. Of course, that's also the reason why the stats are inflating so fast.

Really? How?

TFB + S&V NiM. Though the guilds who are still running that are usually already full 78, so they don't need it anyway.

Edited by Jerba

It's pretty simple really, we'll use Oricon items for the examples. The Item Rating (180) refers purely to the Armoring/hilt/barrel in that piece as that determines base dps/armor. The Advanced .... ... (34) refers to how high a tier this item is, in mods particularly there's things like 34, 34A, 34B each one prioritising a different stat. I'm a bit unsure on the (78) however, as that fluctuates a bit between blue and purple.

It's pretty simple really, we'll use Oricon items for the examples. The Item Rating (180) refers purely to the Armoring/hilt/barrel in that piece as that determines base dps/armor. The Advanced .... ... (34) refers to how high a tier this item is, in mods particularly there's things like 34, 34A, 34B each one prioritising a different stat. I'm a bit unsure on the (78) however, as that fluctuates a bit between blue and purple.

The 78 is a reference to the equivalent item level of the mod. So the rank 25 mods available from the Makeb vendor on fleet (level 58) have stats equivalent that of a randomly dropped piece of gear (mod in this case) of level 58 if such a thing were to exist.

• 5 months later...
It's a matter of habit really.

Remember Cypher in the Matrix? Neo asks him if he always saw the Matrix like that, in code. Out of habit, he said he saw no code whatsoever anymore, other than red head, blonde, brunette and so forth.

Exactly like how I see.

They are not supposed to be normalized. Each number means something different...

Normalising the pattern is not the same thing as removing identity.

e.g it could instead be called tier 1 gear and so on to whatever tier gear.

holy necro batman.

incidentally - this topic is mood, as they have normalized it. as in removed the 72, 75,78,etc out of the game, keeping only 162,168,180, etc.

Still gotta deal with 34 vs 180, 36 vs 186, ect...

:p

Also why is the Conqueror's gear (28x) rating 154, when normal gear (28) is rating 156?

Edited by TACeMossie

Also why is the Conqueror's gear (28x) rating 154, when normal gear (28) is rating 156?
Perhaps because the Expertise in PvP gear is part of what it determines it's crafting level (28), but doesn't affect how suitable it is (rating 154) for doing PvE operations. I haven't looked recently, but I think PvE level 28 gear (rating 156) has better PvE stats than PvP level 28 gear (rating 154).

That's assuming that "level" is an indication of crafting difficulty and mats required, and "rating" is entirely about how much benefit the gear provides in PvE. Which makes some sense ...

Edited by BuriDogshin