It's your fault if you're on a PvE server and you get yourself flagged.

Reno_Tarshil

Tough love.

Insulting people is not tough love its ridicule at its highest form. As stated before being a PVPer I find this kind of gaming offensive and people lacking in morals. which is the point to exploiting others game play. a high lack of morals. and if your siding with the PVPers who do it I can only deduce that you have that same lack.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. What he is saying is that if you are in an area where (by design) opposing faction players can co-mingle.... show a little caution and intelligence IF you are averse to getting yourself flagged.

If they give players an immunity switch.. a lot of player skills and companion skills will be disabled (or still impossible to collision check for), and players will QQ about it.

You don't have to disable people's ability's and skills. The most effective way to do it is to stop those ability's from interacting with or effecting flagged players and companions (at least outside of an instance anyways). Put that in place along with keeping the 5 minute cool down for removing your flag and you will alleviate 99.9% of the issues being had.

You don't have to disable people's ability's and skills. The most effective way to do it is to stop those ability's from interacting with or effecting flagged players and companions (at least outside of an instance anyways). Put that in place along with keeping the 5 minute cool down for removing your flag and you will alleviate 99.9% of the issues being had.
This on off switch better have a on switch if you enter a opposing fraction area or you are just opening up a whole new world of griefing. I say enter a opposing fraction area or base and you are flagged 48 playing hours and you cannot leave the planet or enter a safe zone, plus you can be killed by both fractions and the players that kill you will not be flagged. This special flag would be pink to stand out to everyone, plus while under this pink flag stealth would not work. That would make me not opposed to the on/off switch.

Oh and you would have 10 min cool down on turning on the flag or you can only turn on the flag in a safe zone. That way you can't just jump a flagged player as a unflagged player.

Edited by mikebevo

You are clearly not seeing how difficult that would be for AoE heals and AoE dps and AoE taunts. The condition checks for these are not as trivial as single target skills in any way. Why? because AoE effects are completely different in terms of how they are applied, and calculated, and tabulated then single target actions. So you either writes some very complicated condition checks to insure these effects do not splash flagged players (both friendly and enemy) or you disable them if you are setting your PvP immunity switch.

It's a much nastier challenge for coding then you folks are willing to acknowledge.

Please note: I am not taking any side on the question of an immunity switch. I am just keeping things real here by keeping people informed as to how sticky a mess it would be to actually do an immunity switch for this game (bug free, and exploit free).

Edited by Andryah

Insulting people is not tough love its ridicule at its highest form. As stated before being a PVPer I find this kind of gaming offensive and people lacking in morals. which is the point to exploiting others game play. a high lack of morals. and if your siding with the PVPers who do it I can only deduce that you have that same lack.

What does having or not having morals have to do with trying to prevent yourself from being flagged?

• 6 months later...
Thats one way to improve it, but I also think it would be better if the game treated flagged players to non flagged as a green npc, you can target them, but simply cant attack, and if you do want to attack, you do as you have been able to since release, simply right click your portrait and flag for pvp, takes less than a second.

Absolutely! Actions should never drive the flag, the flag should drive actions. If you try to take an action that would currently flag you, and you're not flagged, you could simply get a message instead that the action requires you to turn on your flag, then you would have a choice whether or not to flag. In addition to this, I think the flag should expire when you do, or at the very least, when you take the medcenter option. You could always reflag yourself if you want but it wouldn't be necessary to stand around waiting for it to wear off.

A flagged enemy has run through my AoEs....twice. No flag.

I had one enemy actually try to get me flagged by running around in front of me, waiting for me to click on an enemy to loot and then run over the enemy....he tried everything he could. No dice.

I reporting him for griefing and continued playing.

Players like the one that tried to get me flagged are players that need to be fired from the internet IMO. They give real PVP players a bad name.

At any rate, I didn't do anything special. I didn't shut off AoE, or anything other than watching closely what my tabbing was targeting. I also took care with my attacks, making sure not to spam them in the presence of someone trying to pull a flag.

I noticed that if I took a pause between each attack, even if my target died the attack simply stopped. It didn't glitch. That pause was essential....spam your keys or click through your specials and you are bound to glitch out and move to the next target when spamming attacks instead of cancelling out like you should.

My favorite moment of the night? Watching a 55 sorc try to flag me, only to have 4 reps behind him smoke him for his efforts. If he had only been paying attention instead of trying to flag me....

...well, he didnt really want to face real PVP players after all, did he. Because he can't PVP. If he could, he would not be trying to flag me naturally.

Please people, there is nothing a pvp flagged player can do to get you flagged. AoE does not flag you. Even AoE healing a pvp-flagged friendly will not flag you.

If you are not in a party, only direct actions towards a flagged enemy like: attacking or throwing a snowball will flag you. You have to have the enemy in your target to get flagged. This can be easily avoided by paying a minimum of attention.

Also only direct actions towards a flagged friendly will flag you. Healing with a direct heal (AoE heal ignores flagged friendlies), throwing a ball, snowball, glitterdust and so on, buffing with that player in target (not if you target an unflagged player).

Again, you will have to have the flagged player in target to get yourself flagged.

The only accidentaly thing that can happen is in party with flagged players. Don't take your healing companion out - them healing a flagged party member (and they will inadvertly do this) will get you flagged.

Note, that you will not get flagged if you are in a instanced zone, like a flashpoint or OP.

The closest thing to someone "getting you flagged" is a flagged player jumping over a corpse as you are about to loot it. This is annoying (and should be reported for griefing) but can also be avoided if you re-assign your right mouse click from "auto-attack" and thus right clicking will not fire a shot ....

If don't want to get flagged you are not going to if you pay a very minimum of attentiion.

I wouldn't want to be healer in group that has tank who is unable to aoe taunt.

It takes a lot of time for sub-50 characters to find a group for that heroic. Especially since mobs will always be on level of highest level character in group.

im 90% certain juggs get aoe taunt at level 30

Topic is now about how people are getting inadvertantly flagged and how to avoid them. (Note this only applies to crowded areas like the Rakghoul caves and such. Open Planets for leveling are fine as you're likely to just run into players wanting to level.)

Possible Causes

AOE - Doesn't seem to be the issue given several member's experiences and tests, but may be ona case by case basis.

Auto Target, Tab Target, Ability spam - It's possible while you're out killing stuff the game will lock you on to the nearest attackable thing and if your fingers are heavy like mine you'll accidently auto shoot/swing it.

Companions - Some users are thinking their companions AOE are to blame. All very possible.

How to avoid it:

1.) If it's AOE related, then you should AOE's at your own risk, note the mobs die fairly easily here so you shouldn't worry about AOEing unless you really want too.

2.) If it's single target related, this is just a matter of being careful to not let your fingers push your keyboard too hard while fighting and paying attention to what you have targeted.

3.) If it's companion related, then it's likely a bug and should reported, but you'll have to be extra careful.

Now you're free to ignore all this and pretend to be Too cool for School if you wish but if you get flagged than it's all on you.

thats ok, if I get flagged I can just enter a wz and quit out. that will unflag me

Here's the kicker. If you read what I said, than you would understand that these mobs are so fragile that you don't need to use your full potential to kill them. But if for some reason you are having trouble killing them then that's a whole other issue.

you forgot to tell people that if they dont level off of the starter planet they cant be flagged. you dont really need to level up.

This on off switch better have a on switch if you enter a opposing fraction area or you are just opening up a whole new world of griefing. I say enter a opposing fraction area or base and you are flagged 48 playing hours and you cannot leave the planet or enter a safe zone, plus you can be killed by both fractions and the players that kill you will not be flagged. This special flag would be pink to stand out to everyone, plus while under this pink flag stealth would not work. That would make me not opposed to the on/off switch.

Oh and you would have 10 min cool down on turning on the flag or you can only turn on the flag in a safe zone. That way you can't just jump a flagged player as a unflagged player.

the on off switch applies to your abilities, not the guards........an pvp disabled character will find it very painful

An extremely quick way to unflag yourself is to open your GSF hanger and press the ? in the upper right, which launches the tutorial. As soon as you load in, hit escape, then exit match. Boom, takes you a quick loading screen + however long it takes to load into where you were before. You're welcome.

Or, instead of being a jerk, you could go into the GSF tutorial and exit. Same effect, no waiting for queues, and you don't interfere with other people trying to play.

And what would you call pvpers when they interfere with others trying to play and complete their quests ?

Topic is now about how people are getting inadvertantly flagged and how to avoid them. (Note this only applies to crowded areas like the Rakghoul caves and such. Open Planets for leveling are fine as you're likely to just run into players wanting to level.)

Sorry Reno but the specific flagging in the Rakghoul event and Gree Event are 100% EXPOITING and not PVE players faults.

I had great fun yesterday taking part in a PVP battle in Rakghouls event (got 20/100 in the achievement) but the fact of matter is that was my choice.

What isnt my choice is getting flagged because some jack $$$ who is flagged is intentionally standing on the group of mobs Im fighting. The more damage I take the quicker I start to click. Its human nature. Its obvious I am not interested in PVP and have no desire to PVP at that time but buddyboy is trying to exploit the mechanics to get me to accidently flag myself against my will.

Personally I think that should be a suspendable action

PVE and PVP DOES NOT MIX

never has

never will

I find the very worst PVPers are the ones that try to flag PVE players this way.

The good PVPers are taking part in battles with other PVPers.

The crappy ones who get owned by other PVPers then try to find opponents they can beat (which means exploiting mechanics to flag someone against their will).

Other day in Oricon Heroic area Im fighting a champion solo when some idiot flagged imp comes up and stands on my champion that Im fighting and starts jumping around desperately trying to get me to flag myself (clearly she wasnt to bright as you dont need to change targets when fighting a champion so tab never comes into play).

I just told her to "$$$$ off kid" and killed the champion.

At which point she threw a complete hissy fit about being told where to go

But what she was trying to do was completely obvious

UO self destructed because PKers were allowed to prey on PVEers and force them into a style of play they didnt want to take part in

SW:TOR needs to be careful because its not out of realm of reality they also lose subscribers over these actions.

PVP and PVE doesnt mix.

Personally I would like code put in that just says unflagged players can not interact with flagged players (opponents or same faction players) until they physically turn their flag on themselves.

PROBLEM SOLVED

that one fix solves it all and even benefits PVPers because no longer could a unflagged player walk up and attack from safety. They would have to make their intention known before hand. Even if only a split second.

Course would also help if they made a PVP planet

Open World PVP has been popular the last two events and Ive seen mutual PVP take place on Oricon as well.

People WANT open world PVP (Id prefer RVR with bases and relics and all that)

This game just doesnt supply it in reality

STOP mixxing PVP and PVE and just give PVPers a real PVP World to play on (and not some stupid contest like Ilum originally was with the turrets).

To quote a old movie "If you make it, they will come"

Hell if they made a real PVP planet with capturable bases and relic, they might even see a upswing in subs as open world PVP is lacking right now.

ESO has it but their interface is gawd awful

Wildstar is saturday morning cartoons and only appeal to a nitch audience

There is a demand for it