Hacking

ReyCielo

I'm pretty sure there is some pretty happy bomber pilot with couple of seekers mines sending OP warm regards.

(OP, once you activate a seeker mine, it gets an insta-lock on you, it sounds as if a missile was launched out of no-where. If more than 2 people are locking conventional missiles at you, it can sound weird just as well.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen scouts 1-shot fully upgraded ships through overcharged shields.

Repeatedly.

If it happens repeatedly, make a list with their names (only for yourself) and make videos of every fight they're in.

Most 'hacking' is just horrendous lag and latency issues.

...but yeah, I have seen one particular pilot who would continually blap me with two BLC volleys in an extremely narrow firing window while jousting head to head with a Sting. Meanwhile my own Sting wouldn't break his shields, even with Overcharge and 18% shield penetration active. This happened over several games.

...but yeah, I have seen one particular pilot who would continually blap me with two BLC volleys in an extremely narrow firing window while jousting head to head with a Sting. Meanwhile my own Sting wouldn't break his shields, even with Overcharge and 18% shield penetration active. This happened over several games.

The thing that I hate most about "hacking" being a concern in people's minds is it causes them to turn off their brain and refuse to acknowledge mistakes. "He couldn't possibly have made much better gear decisions than I did since I'm obviously perfect, he must have cheated!"

There are a few ways to explain your opponent's higher damage output. First, were they using pods? That would drastically increase damage within the window. Second, they might have brought TT (and even maybe wingman on top of it), which in Sting-on-Sting violence is dramatically better than BO (given evasion, hitting more shots is always better than having a damage bonus on all those shots that are missing). Third, they probably brought frequency capacitor, allowing more rounds of BLC in the same timeframe (if you did not). Fourth, you do not understand what penetration is apparently; far from doing extra damage to shields, it means that damage ignores shields, so you'd absolutely expect an opponent's shields to be in better shape than yours (while having slightly more damage on their hull). That upgrade on BLC is honestly never much used since you strip shields so fast and taking the more direct-damage option on that tier gives you higher lethality overall.

Lots of potential ways to make yourself better before you shut down any self criticism with "welp they must have hacked."

Edited by Buggleslor

The thing that I hate most about "hacking" being a concern in people's minds is it causes them to turn off their brain and refuse to acknowledge mistakes. "He couldn't possibly have made much better gear decisions than I did since I'm obviously perfect, he must have cheated!"

There are a few ways to explain your opponent's higher damage output. First, were they using pods? That would drastically increase damage within the window. Second, they might have brought TT (and even maybe wingman on top of it), which in Sting-on-Sting violence is dramatically better than BO (given evasion, hitting more shots is always better than having a damage bonus on all those shots that are missing). Third, they probably brought frequency capacitor, allowing more rounds of BLC in the same timeframe (if you did not). Fourth, you do not understand what penetration is apparently; far from doing extra damage to shields, it means that damage ignores shields, so you'd absolutely expect an opponent's shields to be in better shape than yours (while having slightly more damage on their hull). That upgrade on BLC is honestly never much used since you strip shields so fast and taking the more direct-damage option on that tier gives you higher lethality overall.

Lots of potential ways to make yourself better before you shut down any self criticism with "welp they must have hacked."

It was over the course of three Domination matches. No power-ups.

He was alone nearly every single time.

Some of the encounters started with me breaking his Cluster Missile lock with Distortion Field, but the added evasion didn't seem to make the slightest difference.

10% volley damage vs. 15% RoF that might not even factor into an extremely short firing pass? On a weapon system that chews through cap? I'll go with the volley damage.

The 18% shield penetration was from an active co-pilot skill. Once again, his shields usually didn't even go below half and hull took minimal bleed-through damage. Every single time.

The only thing I can think of is that he's stacking Telemetry with the +crit chance active co-pilot skill to chain monster crits for 6 seconds, but I don't recall seeing the Telemetry animation.

WTB combat log.

Skill in gunnery is a huge factor if BLCs are in play. A shot that's centered and at 1000 m or less has about two times the damage and a 40-55% better chance of hitting compared to a max range shot with modest deflection.

Add another 30% to hit chance if TT and Wingman were active. Combine range and cooldowns and that's enough to counter all of the evasion from distortion and a little bit of a scout's baseline evasion.

If you had DO and were also using BLCs you should have needed at most two hits at a range of 3000 m or less in order to kill a scout at full health. At max range, you might have needed 3 hits, and your chance to hit on each shot would have been less than 50%.

Depending on how close your opponent was to having ideal shot positioning they would have needed 2-3 BLC hits to destroy you, depending on your initial hull and shield state.

It sounds to me like the most likely issue was that the other scout pilot was much better at centering and firing shots at short range. Depending on the degree of difference in how close you two were to making "perfect" shots, you could have had a less than 25% chance of winning that encounter, explainable entirely by skill difference in getting ideal range and deflection from center when shooting.

The BLC is easy to use in the sense that it has a very wide firing arc, but if you want to maximize damage from it the difficulty level is similar to using HLCs or Rocket Pods in a turning battle around a sat. Pretty much any BLC shot at more than1500 m range is a poor shot with respect to damage and accuracy lost due to range. It's also good to keep within 10 degrees of the center of the firing arc. Reducing the number of poor shots and increasing the number of good shots is one of the key factors in being successful in a BLC scout.

Edit: Of course in ships that depend on evasion for defense, there's always the chance that RNG was kind to them but unkind to you. It is normal and expected for random events to happen in clumps like that, understanding the tendency for random events to happen in clusters is one of the things new students in statistics have the hardest time understanding.

Edited by Ramalina

Most 'hacking' is just horrendous lag and latency issues.

Sounds like scout with active damage cooldown and copilot ability. At close range, two hits from blc (+ pods or clusters) can kill almost any ship in a very short time.

Edited by Danalon

Some of the encounters started with me breaking his Cluster Missile lock with Distortion Field, but the added evasion didn't seem to make the slightest difference.

10% volley damage vs. 15% RoF that might not even factor into an extremely short firing pass? On a weapon system that chews through cap? I'll go with the volley damage.

The 18% shield penetration was from an active co-pilot skill. Once again, his shields usually didn't even go below half and hull took minimal bleed-through damage. Every single time.

When did I say anything about powerups? I was just talking about build choices. I've obliterated a ton of battlescouts in jousts they opted into when I had all my actives up--TT with Wingman can overcome DF pretty convincingly. To second Ramalina, many pilots also cannot convincingly land shots in that situation, meaning my own DF is stacked with their natural miss rate. Given that you're running a build with no accuracy buffs by taking BO and Bypass and wildly speculating that they have a build like mine (the little tooltips showing enemy buffs are notorious for not always showing up), and you have a battle between a ship that has a high chance to hit, and another that has little to no chance to hit. You are the latter. The fact that you lost in this situation shouldn't be surprising.

Even when you have two perfectly skilled pilots who always land every shot and with identical ideal battlescout-on-battlescout builds, there are going to be iterations of duels where one scout leaves at 100% and the other is dead. When you only get a few shots, each of which has a relatively low chance to land but with the chance to crit for a third or more of a sting's total shields+hull, the outcome is going to be heavily flavored by RNG. It's not out of the question for that outcome to happen several times in a row. Add that to the fact that you were running a build that is specially unsuited that particular situation, and your report is less surprising still.

You've done nothing to demonstrate in any way that the opposing pilot did anything outside the normal parameters of the game. I'm not saying your choices are necessarily bad, since it's not like this entire mode revolves around battlescout jousting. If you know you have a build that isn't optimized for it, though, don't opt into jousts. Definitely don't come onto the forums ************ and moaning because you brought a knife to a gunfight and got shot. It's pretty simple.

All that said... I do second your desire for a combat log.

Edited by Buggleslor

Sounds like scout with active damage cooldown and copilot ability. At close range, two hits from blc (+ pods or clusters) can kill almost any ship in a very short time.

Once again, I was in a Sting too. With cooldowns active.

I had the targeting rectangle directly aligned on his ship for at least two shots every pass and couldn't do signficant damage, while he would drop my shields in two hits every single time without fail.

This happened over the course of three matches.

Given that you're running a build with no accuracy buffs by taking BO and Bypass and wildly speculating that they have a build like mine (the little tooltips showing enemy buffs are notorious for not always showing up), and you have a battle between a ship that has a high chance to hit, and another that has little to no chance to hit. You are the latter. The fact that you lost in this situation shouldn't be surprising.

You missed the part where I landed hits EVERY TIME, but couldn't do significant damage while being insta-gibbed in 2-3 volleys?

How am i supposed to know what your fit is? Are you a SWTORGSF celebrity?

Edited by Squatdog_nz

Breaking it down by the numbers

BLC scout with Mastered

BLCs pierce and Shield damage

TT : evasion and primary weapon range upgrades.

Wingman

Distortion Field

Range Capacitors

Shooting with zero tracking penalty at 1000m range cooldowns active.

Evasion                                        Dps at 1000 m                         Accuracy
33% base                                    Shields   /       Hull                          123 base
35% Distortion Field           1021 (75 pierce)  /  941                            10   TT
8%   TT                                                                                                 20  Wingman
                                                                                                             -3.6 for range
76% evasion                         1021 (75)  / 941                                       149.4

Against a BLC scout with

BLCs Pierce and Shield

Bypass

Blaster overcharge

Distortion Field

Evasion                                    Dps at 3500 m                            Accuracy
Base 33                                   626 (167 pierce)  / 697                    79.5   
Distortion 35

68% evasion

Then of course you have to figure out the per shot damage for respective rates of fire of 80 and 100 shots per minute.

The TT wingman scout at short range is getting a hit rate of 81.4% and doing 768 shield (56 piercing) or 707 hull per shot without crits.

The BO bypass scout at long range is getting a hit rate of 3.5 % and doing 376 shield (100 piercing) or 418 hull per shot without crits.

Shooting at ranges greater than about 2000m absolutely destroys both the damage and accuracy of BLCs. I very strongly suspect that this was your problem. Low shield and piercing damage are both expected results. In fact the only strange thing about your account is that you managed to hit the other scout at all, but perhaps you were at between 2 km and 3 km rather than 3 km and 4 km when you fired your shots.

Take home lesson: TT+Wingman cooldowns and firing at short range gives BLCs almost twice the damage per shot and up to about 25 times greater chance to hit than BO + Bypass cooldowns on a BLC fired at long range.

I hope that takes some of the mystery out of why you lost all three times.

The TT+Wingman build is generally stronger than a BO+Bypass or BO + Concentrated Fire or BO + Wingman, but at ranges of 1500 m or less it's not really noticeable. BO builds can pull ahead at point blank range against targets with low evasion.

Edit: I should note that I made some odd upgrade choices in order to tilt the playing field as much in favor of the BO scout, given the available information about their respective builds. It would be a bit more forgiving for a Flashfire, because it would be able to get both Bypass and the 6% accuracy passive at the same time.

Edited by Ramalina

I'm a hacker or so I've been told.

I fly a T2 strike with heavies, cluster and proton. it seems like I one-shot bombers. (This is when the hacker cries start coming). All I have to say is. Timing is not hacking, it's timing.

1. I'll force my target into the open and to burn their lock breaks / charged plating.

2. I'll lock a proton while pinking away at the ship with heavy lasers, I release when shields are below 50% and keep firing with heavy lasers.

3. As soon as the proton is away I switch to clusters, lock and fire. Shields are gone at this point from the heavy lasers, proton hits at the same time as the clusters.

4. ...

5. profit?

This is the same as any T1 / T3 GS pilot that hits an idiot charging them with a rail then switched to BLC under 4k range to finish them off. It seems like the rail just did 4k of damage but it's just graphical lag from the "charge cloud" to dying to the BLC is rarely seen.

I think the "people lag when they are targeted" is actually just that, the server and the client both need to talk more when people are targeting and attacking each other. I think this is pretty taxing and on older PCs it actually lags people. It is not their fault.

I've seen scouts 1-shot fully upgraded ships through overcharged shields.

Repeatedly.

Somehow, these posts never have a video, you know?

I have seen one particular pilot who would continually blap me with two BLC volleys in an extremely narrow firing window while jousting head to head with a Sting. Meanwhile my own Sting wouldn't break his shields, even with Overcharge and 18% shield penetration active. This happened over several games.

You missed the part where I landed hits EVERY TIME, but couldn't do significant damage while being insta-gibbed in 2-3 volleys?

How am i supposed to know what your fit is? Are you a SWTORGSF celebrity?

Breaking it down by the numbers

BLC scout with Mastered

BLCs pierce and Shield damage

TT : evasion and primary weapon range upgrades.

Wingman

Distortion Field

Range Capacitors

Shooting with zero tracking penalty at 1000m range cooldowns active.

Evasion                                        Dps at 1000 m                         Accuracy
33% base                                    Shields   /       Hull                          123 base
35% Distortion Field           1021 (75 pierce)  /  941                            10   TT
8%   TT                                                                                                 20  Wingman
                                                                                                             -3.6 for range
76% evasion                         1021 (75)  / 941                                       149.4

Against a BLC scout with

BLCs Pierce and Shield

Bypass

Blaster overcharge

Distortion Field

Evasion                                    Dps at 3500 m                            Accuracy
Base 33                                   626 (167 pierce)  / 697                    79.5   
Distortion 35

68% evasion

Then of course you have to figure out the per shot damage for respective rates of fire of 80 and 100 shots per minute.

The TT wingman scout at short range is getting a hit rate of 81.4% and doing 768 shield (56 piercing) or 707 hull per shot without crits.

The BO bypass scout at long range is getting a hit rate of 3.5 % and doing 376 shield (100 piercing) or 418 hull per shot without crits.

Shooting at ranges greater than about 2000m absolutely destroys both the damage and accuracy of BLCs. I very strongly suspect that this was your problem. Low shield and piercing damage are both expected results. In fact the only strange thing about your account is that you managed to hit the other scout at all, but perhaps you were at between 2 km and 3 km rather than 3 km and 4 km when you fired your shots.

Take home lesson: TT+Wingman cooldowns and firing at short range gives BLCs almost twice the damage per shot and up to about 25 times greater chance to hit than BO + Bypass cooldowns on a BLC fired at long range.

I hope that takes some of the mystery out of why you lost all three times.

The TT+Wingman build is generally stronger than a BO+Bypass or BO + Concentrated Fire or BO + Wingman, but at ranges of 1500 m or less it's not really noticeable. BO builds can pull ahead at point blank range against targets with low evasion.

Edit: I should note that I made some odd upgrade choices in order to tilt the playing field as much in favor of the BO scout, given the available information about their respective builds. It would be a bit more forgiving for a Flashfire, because it would be able to get both Bypass and the 6% accuracy passive at the same time.

Jesus Christ.

If there is such an enormous chance to miss in a Sting vs. Sting firing pass, how was he gibbing me every single time without fail? If he was stacking Accuracy/Evasion Reduction, how was he generating enough bonus damage to gib me in 2/3 hits?

It must be a case of incredibly good latency and a chain of exceptionally lucky crits.

So I'm meant to record literally every single match of the hundreds I've played so far in the off chance that something strange happens?

Once again, this happened with one player in a whole three matches and I've never seen it happen before or since.

Edited by Squatdog_nz

So I'm meant to record literally every single match of the hundreds I've played so far in the off chance that something strange happens?

Once again, this happened with one player in a whole three matches and I've never seen it happen before or since.

You could have recorded the second and third match.

If you have concerns someone is hacking, memorise (or write down) his name and then record every game you meet that person in. Then you can watch the video and find out what exactly happened.

It's impossible to notice every single buff and debuff on you and on your enemy while also watching the hitpoints of your and his shields and your and his hull while simultaneously aiming and firing at him with your primary and secondary weapons and activating cooldowns.

Also there is a bug that shows different amounts of enemy hull strength on the bars of the enemy ship's indicator and in the frame that shows enemy ship closeup. Sometimes the hull bars on the frame that shows the facing of the enemy are displayed as full while the others are only filled to whatever amount the target really has. Not sure this bug still exists, I didn't notice it lately - then again I don't pay attention to both displays at the same time usually. Maybe it's just the scaling of the closeup frame hp bars that's weird.

Edited by Danalon

Speed is the one thing that is so noticable in GSF.

Ships that never seem to to run out of engine power , zipping all over the map ,yes there are crew abilities and power ups, but then not every ship can everything at once can it......

Jesus Christ.

If there is such an enormous chance to miss in a Sting vs. Sting firing pass, how was he gibbing me every single time without fail? If he was stacking Accuracy/Evasion Reduction, how was he generating enough bonus damage to gib me in 2/3 hits?

It must be a case of incredibly good latency and a chain of exceptionally lucky crits.

Your inability to comprehend really basic **** is starting to strain belief. Ramalina just laid it out for you in the simplest possible terms. YOU had a 3.5% chance to hit (given what you told us your build is, and for sake of argument assuming you were firing at range). THEY had a 81.4% chance to hit (assuming for sake of argument they ran TT/W and assuming they correctly held onto their blaster power until they fired 2-3 BLCs at knife range).

One of these numbers is BIG. One is SMALL. You were instagibbed because you chose a build uniquely unsuited to fighting sting vs sting, and this could very well have been compounded by player error. Stings have extremely low hull/shields but extremely high evasion, this is why every sting who wants to duels others must stack accuracy. One would think you'd know by using them that mastered BLCs have MORE than enough damage on them (~700 per shot, ~1000 if crit) to 2-3 shot you. Personally, given my choices, my mastered sting has 1.4k shield power per arc and 900 hull--if two regular BLC shots and a crit land I'm dead. If I've taken any other shield damage (or if my shield power is depleted a bit because I'm running power to engines or blasters, like 99% of the time), then it's two crits to the respawn screen. No need to "generate enough bonus damage." That rarely happens, though, because evasion, which I have at 33% naturally plus more from DF. It is, however, very easy to have a build that negates evasion by running TT/wingman. You don't need to hack to do this.

I'm going to put this in caps because you seem to have a really really hard time reading. YOUR BUILD IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD. YOU GENERATED A LOT OF "BONUS DAMAGE" THAT HAD NO CHANCE TO HIT. THERE IS LITTLE TO NO CHANCE THE OTHER STING WAS HACKING.

Edited by Buggleslor

Jesus Christ.

What happened to you was that the other player used a superior knowledge of GSF mechanics to make much better choices in how they built their scout and in how they operated their scout. So they won.

He had the better build and was likely shooting at near ideal ideal range. This meant that he had an excellent chance of hitting you, and was guaranteed that every shot that hit would do a lot of damage.

You had an inferior build and were probably shooting from too far away. This meant that you had very small chance of hitting, and even if you hit you were only going to do a little bit of damage.

This brings up the question of, "Why does Ramalina keep going on about range?" The answer is that without a Damage Overcharge powerup the only way it's possible for the other scout to do lots of damage while your shots do very little damage if you're both using BLCs is for them to be firing at short range and you to be firing at long range. From your account you provided me with enough information that I can be completely sure that your biggest problem was choosing to shoot at the wrong range.

If your power was to blasters (as it should have been) you had at most 1053 shield, 950 hull, and no damage reduction (if your build and crew choices are fairly normal). After their first shot hit you'd be at about 285 shields and 894 hull. After their second shot you'd be at zero shields and 450 hull. Third shot would kill you with about 250 extra damage to spare. With a crit or if you already had taken some damage it wouldn't be unusual for two shots to do enough damage to destroy a scout.

If your build and gunnery had been as good as theirs, then the chances of you winning each encounter would have been about 50%.

Once you have the requisition to unlock the ideal components this is something that you have at least 90% control over with your own actions, even with latency of up to about 500 ms.

You have to know about the effects of certain components and what the ideal range for firing BLCs is, which I suspect you didn't know, and so I gave you that information. Now you just need to use it effectively.

Now that you have the same information available to you, you can either choose to use it and even the odds, or you can ignore it and continue to believe that they won only because of factors outside of your control. If you don't use the knowledge to improve your play, they are likely to continue demolishing you in almost every encounter you have.

Computer games are ultimately just math problems concealed by fancy graphics. If you play without understanding the math at a basic level you are at a huge disadvantage if you play against someone who does understand the math that controls the game mechanics. I've done the math for you in this case.

The mathematical answer, translated into English is:

You lost because you chose the wrong components, and shot when too far away. Your opponent won because they chose the best components and shot at close to ideal range.

If you wish to win next time:

Use Targeting Telemetry, Wingman, and Ranged Capacitors, and fire your BLCs at ranges of between zero and 1750 m.

. . . stuff about health display bug . . .

That display bug is still live as of last night.

Edited by Ramalina

Someone reading this thread MIGHT get the idea, from your posts, that hacking is a thing. Yes, if you want to claim that it is, you should bring some proof.

I mean, look, I play on a lot of servers. So have many. We talk on and off stream, and not ONCE has someone who has played all these games said "look, so-and-so is actually invincible".

It's possible that someone has some hack, but:

1)- It wouldn't be as you describe- the hit/miss rolls are trusted server rolls, so "invincible scout" wouldn't look like you describe.

2)- It would likely be unable to generate unerring hits either- the devs actually stated earlier that one of the goals of the evasion system would be to minimize something like that, so we can assume that accuracy roll is not just done clientside and blindly trusted.

3)- They would have to be super clever with this, never using it against people who could figure it out and prove it. Since the game is free to play, we'd definitely expect to see cheaters if it was around.

4)- I don't think the game is unhackable, but I don't see ANY evidence.

So yes, if you want credibility, post the video. Hide the guys name on the one you post to THIS forum, to avoid name-and-shame.

Until then, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that, somehow, these posts never have a video, you know?

Speed is the one thing that is so noticable in GSF.

Ships that never seem to to run out of engine power , zipping all over the map ,yes there are crew abilities and power ups, but then not every ship can everything at once can it......

What happened to you was that the other player used a superior knowledge of GSF mechanics to make much better choices in how they built their scout and in how they operated their scout. So they won.

According to you, he too had a substantial chance to miss, which he didn't. Every single time.

You had an inferior build and were probably shooting from too far away. This meant that you had very small chance of hitting, and even if you hit you were only going to do a little bit of damage.

It was a series of firing passes (with multiple volleys fired), terminating literally at point blank range each time.

Now you are just making stuff up.

Your inability to comprehend really basic **** is starting to strain belief. Ramalina just laid it out for you in the simplest possible terms. YOU had a 3.5% chance to hit (given what you told us your build is, and for sake of argument assuming you were firing at range). THEY had a 81.4% chance to hit (assuming for sake of argument they ran TT/W and assuming they correctly held onto their blaster power until they fired 2-3 BLCs at knife range).

LOL@the blinkered groupthink...

So what you are saying is that I only fired once at maximum range, despite specifically stating numerous times that I fired at least three shots every pass?

Edited by Squatdog_nz