Female Romance Options

Vasdenjas

So I'm a female sorc and Andronikus is getting on my nerves a bit. I met a fabulous sith boy toy on Alderran and had some fun. Of course, they had to kill him off before more fun could be had. Grrrr why can't Andronikus or someone better be like Urtel was. Sigh. It's either the snarky pirate or the nerd. Come on Bioware! Give us some studs! Lol:eek:

Im a male sorc and Ashara is getting on my nerves a bit - she's just too much 'goody-two-shoes' for my liking. She acts as if she would be the perfect partner for a Jedi with all her dreamy talk, but not for my mega-evil inquisitor. Contradictions are strong in this one.

Ashara would also be a perfect mate to make a dark character turn to the light side or at least think about doing it, which would be fine if there was any other choice.. I want a dark girl like Thana instead. A 'romance' that would be less about love (I still think of it more of a light side thing) and more about just doing what comes naturally. Even Sith cant let emotions come before business, so it would be similar "forbidden romance" (especially earlier in the storyline, during inquisitor 'apprenticeship'). Im sure there are lots of potential in this.

Im also sure Bioware will improve our options in the future.

Edited by Karkais

Come on Bioware, you can't believe that theres no girls on the internets/games. REALLY. Or maybe people just think there aren't enough of us girls playing to actually cater to things we might enjoy the game. Well, keep thinking that way, you'll be right soon enough.

theesa.com/facts

Forty-two percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp

Forty-two percent of all players are women and women over 18 years of age are one of the industry's fastest growing demographics.

Today, adult women represent a greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

:)

See also:

swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1095370#post1095370

http://nms.sagepub.com/content/11/5/815.abstract

"In television, it was always a landmark moment when some minority or disenfranchised group appeared on the screen for the first time," he said. "That kind of visibility is really the first step toward leading to public consciousness and equal treatment. These cultural markers matter."

The disparity could be due to a lack of diversity in game developers [..]Without suitable characters to relate to, under-represented groups may be less likely to work in the games industry.

Emma Westecott, a games research fellow at the Newport School of Art, Media and Design, agrees. "The lack of opportunity for identification through role models leads to self-censorship," [vicious circle] she said. "Many young girls simply don't see gaming as being a feasible career choice."

Although female players represent 38% of all gamers, only around 11% of developers are women. Women in Games is an organisation intended to address the games industry's gender imbalance. Westecott, who sits on the group's steering committee, thinks that game publishers may be to be blame.

Dmitri Williams (University of Southern California), Nicole Martins (Indiana University), Mia Consalvo (Ohio University) & James D. Ivory (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University))

(That said, I heard of Twilight-gate and for the love of god please do not see this as endorsing going down THAT path)

Playing Mass Effect stuff (I totally ignored all the dragons and elves games) I found Jacob's fawning and clinginess annnoyinng and the way conversation just shut down after that reeked of "either screw or you OBVIOUSLY have any kind of conversations as equals" and, loved Jack's character (which was really sad in the game when there's no same sex romances presumably out of cowardice from Fox) and just wanted to hug poor Tali -- having seen the scene on Youtube of Jack crying and helping her with her issues awwhhhh I really don't understand people who hated on her because I knew that she would have learnt not to trust people and not show weakness for a reason, it was kinda shocking to read some of the really nasty comments on forums, the lack of empathy some people have ugh I remember seeing a "kill the *****" hate site..... but she was one of the most intricate and actually INTERESTING characters, I hope they bring her back in ME3... I used to post on the bioware forums but that woo guy put me off, I got banned for some stupid thing I can't even remember and just got fed up years ago

There's another group of gamers that hold that distinction.

umm from what I read they pretty much jumped through rings (no pun intended) to support gay men in dragon age 2 with very little for les, I haven't even played it and I heard that.

fem AND bi/gay? worst of both, you might as well be dead to games companies. I bet of that 89% male game developers statistic from that study above - it sounds like a made up number it's so sad - there's probably more men inclined to write male on male stuff than there are that 11% of women developers full stop even

just look at Jack she (as I played it anyway) was Shepherd's best friend, then it comes to "the romance point" and it stops dead like they just "left it blank" for fear of fox news like cowards... I will really be telling people who bring up ME3 (not giving it free publicity) to stay clear of it if they keep it up. >:| we'll see how it goes with star wars

Edited by SelinaK

Romance options are a lot more complicated to implement than I think most civilians realize, so I'm both enjoying the options I do have and hopeful for/excited about what will be available in the future. Speaking of, I expected to base my class choice on whose Female Romance Option was voiced by Raphael Sbarge, so make a note of that one for future expansions, developers.

ROFL! Agreed, seconded, and bolded for emphasis. :D I would switch main characters and alignments just for that option.

But barring that, any chance of a future patch opening up the options to other crew members? Not saying you have to run a Love Boat scheme, but something besides the one or two options. For instance, my Consular must get with Tharan Cedrax on a more permanent basis, because he's just that funny. Part Lando, part creeper, part in-joke (he's in love with a holo, that can't be coincidence).

So I'm a female sorc and Andronikus is getting on my nerves a bit. I met a fabulous sith boy toy on Alderran and had some fun. Of course, they had to kill him off before more fun could be had. Grrrr why can't Andronikus or someone better be like Urtel was. Sigh. It's either the snarky pirate or the nerd. Come on Bioware! Give us some studs! Lol:eek:

The worse part of that is, you have his death in a bloody cu scene while your character is standing around twiddling her thumbs. It would have taken a lot less time to kill his attackers then watching him die while doing nothing.

Railroading storytelling is bad, mkey.

Yes...the romance options are odd. I'm a Jedi Sage and I'm not really fond of...most of guys. In fact, Tharan may be a bit of a jerk, but at least he's not obsessed with weapons and/or killing things. The only other companion beside him that isn't all "kill kill kill" is the last you get (and

she's a girl so I don't consider her an option anyway

).

And of course, Tharan is a one-time thing. That I don't really understand. I know there's the whole Holiday thing, but there's a lot that kind of unsupports that. For example, if you say no (Which is what I did--I may find Tharan the best option, but I'd have felt guilty over not talking to Holiday about it first or something), he goes on about how he thought the two of you had something special and looks down sadly.

Ironically, the next scene I got was as if we did anyway and

he said how he had to end it because Holiday was shocking his bed.

There are several things he does and says that makes it seem like he has feelings for the character.

Not to mention the whole "little Jedi" comment by Holiday in his final quest as well.

So I'd love to know why they didn't make Tharan romanceable. I mean, I'm guessing the answer is Holiday...but I can easily throw out that I am truly convinced the other 3 choices are in love with their weapons.

Not to mention I'm one of the few people who like his voice. His voice reminds me of someone (Not the person VAing him though), but I can't figure out who.

Edited by Jenemi

Most of my adult life I've been playing mmos, so the only other game I've ever played with a romance in it was NWN2. As much as I wanted to like the romance companion I was given, it was so... wait I'll get the thesaurus. It was so "devalued, downplayed, lessened, minimized, underrated, undervalued", "faint, inferred, insinuated, subtle," etc that I didn't even know it was there until after I finished the game!

It took a player written module that adjusted the scenes in the game to flesh it out as much as it felt like it should be. If they are determined to have these elements in the game it would be great if they would take more care that the story was not so.. wait, thesaurus. Not so "abridged, broken, crude, defective, deficient, expurgated, fractional, fragmentary, garbled". And also "abnormal, amiss, blemished, damaged, deficient, faulty, flawed".

In other words, I'd rather not have them at all if they are going to be so wonky. The story is important to me, it's mostly all I come to the forums to discuss. I think I may skip the romance on whatever alt I decide to play next because it beats being frustrated by the wonky story.

Edited by grania

I always found romance adds to the story as long as you aren't forced to pursue it. I think it's done well, except for the fact that they made it only one companion per class-gender (I know there are some exceptions, but in general it's 1 per) and I think the limitations (Considering that gives, on average, 4 you can not) are really the main issue. Especially as not everyone will like the choice given, obviously.

Though, I know some people are just hoping for Player Romance. I'm not sure how that'd work (They'd have to be general based on classes probably), but I guess the dialogue and animations are there to make it work.

Edited by Jenemi

I think it's done well

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, I'm having a blast with the game, I love it. But I don't quite think the romances were done well. They were done just okay. After giving it some thought, there are a few rules Bioware should consider following while writing romance arcs.

1. Two options instead of one, since people like such different traits in people.

2. They should be reasonably attractive.

3. They should talk to you after big things happen in the story! Doesn't have to be a huge thing, just for acknowledgement/ clarification purposes.

They should not try to kill you! There's nothing "romantic" about Quinn choosing his boss over his wife, I can't believe this even needs to be said. Betrayals do happen in relationships, I'll give you that, but it doesn't take a sith to know you don't continue a marriage like that. Either convince him not to go through with it (the power of LOVE lol), or kick him to the curb after he's done it.

Regarding number 2, Corso and Andronikus could be the coolest romantic partners ever (and I do hear a lot of good things about Corso) but why are they so gawd awful ugly?

Edited by grania

I am just hoping my female BH gets a male DPS/tank with the personality of Corso (I think he's awesome as a tank to match my Smuggler healer and I like his "personality") Maybe a Corso with an edge since it's the Imperial side. Sad thing is, I think the companion that fits that bill mechanically is a Jawa... lol. Oh well... at least I don't have that "Doc" guy. I think my BH would blaster whip him based on how sleezy he sounds.

The male romanceable for the BH, Torian, is melee DPS. I'm not overly familiar with Corso's personality, so I couldn't compare them, but from what I've seen of Torian, he respects the BH as a warrior, does some sweet (but not gushy) things, and seems fairly... comfortable? By that I mean I haven't seen a lot of indication that he's shy, and certainly nothing to show that he's sleazy. But I don't know, I'm not that far in the game yet -- I'm going on some YouTube vids and some in-game dialogue from some of the database sites. ;) Very much looking forward to meeting him, though.

I'm a bit curious about Andronikos Revel, but I get the distinct feeling from my SI that she's more into ladies. I probably won't be playing her heavily until my BH's story is finished, so I'll be holding out hope for news of SGRAs until then. :p

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, I'm having a blast with the game, I love it. But I don't quite think the romances were done well. They were done just okay. After giving it some thought, there are a few rules Bioware should consider following while writing romance arcs.

1. Two options instead of one, since people like such different traits in people.

2. They should be reasonably attractive.

3. They should talk to you after big things happen in the story! Doesn't have to be a huge thing, just for acknowledgement/ clarification purposes.

They should not try to kill you! There's nothing "romantic" about Quinn choosing his boss over his wife, I can't believe this even needs to be said. Betrayals do happen in relationships, I'll give you that, but it doesn't take a sith to know you don't continue a marriage like that. Either convince him not to go through with it (the power of LOVE lol, or kick him to the curb after he's done it.

Regarding number 2, Corso and Andronikus could be the coolest romantic partners ever (and I do hear a lot of good things about Corso) but why are they so gawd awful ugly?

1. Thus why I said they should all be romanceable :p I put that in my post.

2. The issue with this is this is definitely in the "eye of the beholder" range. I actually find several of the companions attractive, for example. (Again, general--based on my class, I do only find one attractive). In fact, the only game I can think of at the top of my head where nearly 98% of people said the guys were ugly to choose from for romance purposes was the Fable series (or well, 2 and 3) On the bright side, there are customization options for all the partners, though, once again it's a matter of what someone likes for if they like them or not (For example, I think all of Tharan's customizations are horrible. I was just hoping for one that would remove his facial hair)

3. Some companions do this, actually! While I do agree more scenes with them interacting with you would be nice, there are many unique options with certain companions--not just walking around, but after or during certain cut scenes.

4. I can't comment on that because I don't really know exactly which part you are talking about...but they gave every companion their own personality--can't really fault them for sticking to it, even if we don't like the outcome. We're not the ones who designed the character.

I do agree on Corso though--I have a female smuggler and had looked up some things and while he seems okay at points personality-wise, I don't really care for how he looks. He has some nice customization options though.

Edited by Jenemi

1. Thus why I said they should all be romanceable :p I put that in my post.

Yes, and I agreed. I just think it might be asking too much of developer time to flesh out a romance for each and every companion. It would be ideal though.

As far as "eye of the beholder", I want to agree because not doing so makes me feel shallow. But I think even the developers were conscious of the fact that they made some of the romance options.. rough looking, to say the least. Does Corso still have his tattoos? I know he did in beta, on top of the wrinkly sun-damaged skin and smelly caucasian dread locks >.>

Yes, and I agreed. I just think it might be asking too much of developer time to flesh out a romance for each and every companion. It would be ideal though.

As far as "eye of the beholder", I want to agree because not doing so makes me feel shallow. But I think even the developers were conscious of the fact that they made some of the romance options.. rough looking, to say the least. Does Corso still have his tattoos? I know he did in beta, on top of the wrinkly sun-damaged skin and smelly caucasian dread locks >.>

For all we know, it could be fleshed out for in the future. Considering it's not the main part of the game, it's understandable it's simple right now--but I still don't think it's bad.

The thing is, some people also like those kinds of types. There's people who may prefer the guys with lots of muscles or may prefer the fat guys or may prefer a guy with tattoos. And I guess this is why they brought out the customization packs--for example, there is one that seems to have no tattoos and even changes his hair (I'm personally not fond the the original so) which is nice.

Yeah the customizations were a great idea. I wish they showed a little more though. When my warrior got Lieutenant Pierce I liked his personality but I didn't think his beard looked good with his hair. I bought the customization that makes him look like a black man with plain hair and he looks a lot better but I never see it because he's either got a helmet on, or he stills shows up in cut scenes with his original head. Oh and naked lol. D'oh What does he do on the ship when I'm not there? :p

Yeah the customizations were a great idea. I wish they showed a little more though. When my warrior got Lieutenant Pierce I liked his personality but I didn't think his beard looked good with his hair. I bought the customization that makes him look like a black man with plain hair and he looks a lot better but I never see it because he's either got a helmet on, or he stills shows up in cut scenes with his original head. Oh and naked lol. D'oh What does he do on the ship when I'm not there? :p

I'd definitely like maybe if they were split up a bit from a few standards--IE: Hair, facial hair, skins, as sometimes there's really only one thing I want to change the customizations actually make it worse.

I do wish there was a way to make it so you could hide hats for your companion like you can for the player. Especially considering the character removes the hat during cutscenes anyway .

Yeah I don't much care for the hair he has with the beard.....but I haven't seen the customizations for him....and the whole answering the holo in his underwear, I almost spit coffee on my computer the fist time he did that, with company on ship no less.

I do hope they consider changing the companion customization a bit because there usually isn't much I want to change on them. Usually the hair style or maybe just the complexion or skin tone. And it is kind of hard to see the entire customization well unless you buy it and use it, and at 12k a pop, ummm not gonna happen. Maybe they will implement something better

For all we know, it could be fleshed out for in the future. Considering it's not the main part of the game, it's understandable it's simple right now--but I still don't think it's bad.

Since "story" is their big selling point, I find it difficult to imagine they won't add more story options, branches, etc, just as they are adding flashpoints, warzones, and other mechanical elements. It would be very atypical for any aspect of the game to be "done" at this point; they just needed to get in enough for launch, and each possible branch and option increases the testing needed, especially if they're not all linear/binary or rely on different factors. (i.e, "If affection>4000 AND CompletedQuest(QuestID560 OR QuestID567) then Dialog(500) else Dialog (506)"), multiplied by eight classes, by ghu-knows how many decision points.

Some things are simpler, obviously:"Choose Random Dialog Table A if Affection<1000, Random Dialog Table B if Affection between 1001 and 2000", etc. However, there's always going to be complexities.

(I mean, right now, my companions say the wrong thing on returning from skill missions -- apologizing when they score a great success, bragging when the mission is a complete failure. That's a TRIVIAL bit of code logic... but it's buried so deep in a maze of twisty little subroutines, all alike, and has such a low impact on gameplay compared to other bugs, that I suspect it will be there for a while...)

Adding new romance options means coordinating writing, recording voices, designing animations, and integrating everything into the existing logic and checking for every possible combination of paths and prior actions. It will happen, but it won't be quick and easy. I greatly suspect it's more likely to be part of a commercial expansion than a free patch, mostly because if they don't give every single combination of class and gender a new romance option AT THE EXACT SAME TIME, the boards will be flooded with whines from overprivileged brats who never learned to wait their turn or that sometimes, life just isn't fair.

I know. I switched Corso to the custom appearance number 2 which is much better looking, but I still can't get rid of the array of huge knife scars across his face or the bar code-like weird marks on his neck.

I don't have Andronikos yet, but he looks like an old man who's smoked three packs a day since he was ten.

Edited by Tamyn

For the record, I would be incredibly pleased with a SWTOR version of Garrus. O.M.G. I love Garrus so hard.

I found Garrus on Taris. NPC weary doc not a companion, I am also so bummed.

I like Corso a lot but after mid 20's he seems too squishy (for a tank) even with upgraded everything. I also like everything better than my smugglers so may never see the end of that storyline. sigh

I admire Aric, my highest level trooper is early 20's so haven't had any flirts yet even with high affection. (Yes I am bummed) lol But from what I've heard I look forward to his story bits.

I haven't gotten far enough yet but my BH may have a perfect match to her whole outlook on life as a hunter.

I sort of wish we got companions sooner, 1 per planet maybe. Some like some companions, some love some, some hate some. Some classes seem to be stuck with just 1 for a long time.

I found Garrus on Taris. NPC weary doc not a companion, I am also so bummed.

I like Corso a lot but after mid 20's he seems too squishy (for a tank) even with upgraded everything. I also like everything better than my smugglers so may never see the end of that storyline. sigh

I admire Aric, my highest level trooper is early 20's so haven't had any flirts yet even with high affection. (Yes I am bummed) lol But from what I've heard I look forward to his story bits.

I haven't gotten far enough yet but my BH may have a perfect match to her whole outlook on life as a hunter.

I sort of wish we got companions sooner, 1 per planet maybe. Some like some companions, some love some, some hate some. Some classes seem to be stuck with just 1 for a long time.

quite a few of the "random conversation on the street" NPCs are voiced by Brandon Keener. funny he's not credited. Lots of VAs not credited that i recognize.

Anyway, keep on keepin' on with Aric...you'll find Garrus there, i promise. not the voice, but the personality. I'd also suggest the female IA's option if you're into the sweet and a bit bashful style of romance...

Anyway, keep on keepin' on with Aric...you'll find Garrus there, i promise. not the voice, but the personality. I'd also suggest the female IA's option if you're into the sweet and a bit bashful style of romance...

If there is a discussion on reach vs. flexibility, or cross-species anything, I'm there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was a little bummed by this!!! My lovely Twi'lek Sentinel wants nothing to do with Dr. Fuzzystache, thank you very much. I'm gonna play a smuggler for now, since I know I like Corso (well, what I know of him up to level 12), and wait until they release more companions before playing my Sentinel again.

It just doesn't seem like Bioware to 1) not include same-gender relationships (even though I personally don't pursue that, I think it needs to be in the game; and 2) only give some classes a whopping one romance option.

Oh well. Hopefully they'll introduce more companions - heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, males and females - sometime in the not-too-distant future. :)

We want choices, darn it!!!

Oh and I read a hundred or so pages back that Jedis aren't supposed to have relationships. While this is true (in the Old Republic anyway), it's an RPG. We can make our characters break the code on that one thing if we want. :)