Replace SWTOR's graphics engine with Frostbite 3

TheSupaCoopa

what mmo currently uses that engine? i'm only familiar with a couple, so i'm curious to see what it looks like. personally i love the graphics in Tera; i know it looks like a bowl of candy but if you zoom in the texture detail is incredible. they really are the best quality-wise i've seen. everyone spouted about gw2 and i loaded that after Tera and gw2 really isn't that good at all. but it's a matter of personal taste i guess; but in gw2 with settings at max when i zoom in all i see is blocky edges and pixelly textures. really no comparison; in fact, i'd say swtor has better graphics than gw2 in some regards. but tera knocks them all out of the water. i'll be looking to try scarlet blade when that comes out in the us -- if ever -- as that looks really amazing too.

anyway, to my original question, what mmo can i play that uses the engine you suggest?

Yes, do it now. It''s just changing "engine=hero" to "engine=frostbite_3" (or whatever). Done.

Well, thats gonna end up a bit more complicated, I guess...

But nevertheless I'd love to see how it would look..

Edited by ConCube

Yes, do it now. It''s just changing "engine=hero" to "engine=frostbite_3" (or whatever). Done.

they should get a team of interns on that right away, lol...

honestly i love the graphics of SWTOR, and can't see where people are getting this cartoony nonsense from, want cartoony graphics look at WildStar, TOR is beautiful, character models and backgrounds are stunning...

Some people act like changing the game engine is as easy as changing your cell phone plan.

lol this is the unfortunate truth.

As much as I'd like to see an updated graphics engine I'm pretty sure 70% of the community would have trouble running the new engine.

honestly i love the graphics of SWTOR, and can't see where people are getting this cartoony nonsense from, want cartoony graphics look at WildStar, TOR is beautiful, character models and backgrounds are stunning...

I'm fine with the look as well. What I am not happy with is the number of players/characters that can be in one area at a time without a significant performance hit. When they are making live action commercials showing hundreds of people in epic battles, I would actually like to see that for improved open world PVP ala DAoC

i'll agree that that does suck for the PvP players, it's unfortunate for the PvP community that Bioware was thinking Story First when they shopped for an engine... on the other hand PvE got a gorgeous game world to play Story Mode in... guess it's a sacrifice one for the other situation...

As 4 me, there is not about graphics. (it is not good, but nothing awful) Hero Engine is worst engine i've ever seen/ Why? I have one word for you - Illum. We all remember what a huge fail it was. 3-5 fps when 40+ people fighting in one location. Devs just ruined the best pvp franchise partly because of this stupid engine, partly because they lack of vision. But... Changing engine in This mmo is about more fantastic than jedi or sith existing. Devs have to make new game in that case. From the very beginning. It is too expensive and hard with their skills and greed. So it doesn't worth from buisness point of view. Much easier support what they had for a time, till someone pays for it. And when losses overgrow profits they just close project without any regret. I think it happens next summer (+\- few month). Cause a several interesting mmo are coming in that period. Sad but true.

(excuse me 4 my english)

I wouldn't be so sure about TOR dying next summer, they said the same about WoW when Terra, SW:TOR and some other were coming out. Sure WoW lost some subs and all but it's still holding strong and not likely to die (new expansion coming soon). It's the same for SW:TOR, sure the fan base is not as large, but there is enough of people to sustain the game for a long time, so don't worry about it.

But I digressed from the topic. As for the OP idea, sure, I'd love to see the game looking/performing better and so on, but changing the whole game engine is just as easy as transplanting a whole skeleton in a living being and hoping for it to live after the operation and grow around a new bone structure. Much easier to just have a good F***, smoke a cig and hope that in 9 months something new and awesome will pop out :)

A few dazzle effects doesn't seem like a good enough justification to try to swap out the entire graphics engine, which I think would be one of the riskiest things to endeavor with the game's codebase. Keep in mind, the development staff have built up a certain level of expertise with the current engine, and while it may have its limitations, do we even gain anything in that regard with the other engine? Only someone with deep technical familiarity with both engines would be able to answer that question.

Restarting the game's development team on an entirely new engine seems like a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really bad idea.

Someone from Bioware stated that even migrating to a newer version of HeroEngine would be infeasible because a lot of custom extensions wouldn't port over. The headache of retooling the entire game, surrounding tools and assets to an entirely different engine would essentially amount to producing SWOR 2. As an additional insult, pretty much all graphical assets would have to be remade to the "standards" of the new engine lest old content looks like crap once new stuff hits the patcher, and this game has a lot of cruft sitting around waiting for a caring hand.

Nice thought, won't happen.

IMO the best we can hope for (and pretty pretty please!) is Bioware investing time and effort into that "infeasible" HE upgrade, or at least consequent improvement to what they have. I'd like to be positively surprised though.

Someone from Bioware stated that even migrating to a newer version of HeroEngine would be infeasible because a lot of custom extensions wouldn't port over. The headache of retooling the entire game, surrounding tools and assets to an entirely different engine would essentially amount to producing SWOR 2. As an additional insult, pretty much all graphical assets would have to be remade to the "standards" of the new engine lest old content looks like crap once new stuff hits the patcher, and this game has a lot of cruft sitting around waiting for a caring hand.

Nice thought, won't happen.

IMO the best we can hope for (and pretty pretty please!) is Bioware investing time and effort into that "infeasible" HE upgrade, or at least consequent improvement to what they have. I'd like to be positively surprised though.

I have absolutely zero hope in a change or upgrade to the engine but personally I felt like the graphics in this game were outdated at launch. I can only guess that someone had picked HE a really long time ago and at the time the graphics were considered good. But I don't think the engine is as much to blame as the textures. I've played a few games where the "graphics" were subpar and was able to do hq texture replacement. I know it isn't apples-to-apples, but games like gta4, fallout 3+, skyrim; there are modding sites where ppl upload new or replacement high res models and high res textures and the difference is night and day.

if you look at swtor's textures, you can see that these are low res textures by today's standards. moving to a high res texture pack could be phased-in and would breathe new life into the now ho-hum graphics. the only thing I don't know is the limitations placed by the engine. as far as texture quality though, zoom in anywhere in game, e.g., the character preview window: looks like the armor textures were drawn with a crayon; running max settings, the textures still look very "pixelated" as well. same with ground textures and pretty much everywhere else. the approach really needs to be to design to moderate to high graphics capabilities a year or so out, then use the graphics settings to back off as needed. the beauty is that they simply have to roll out as new content or patches come out.

tl;dr: high res textures both for new items and as replacements throughout the game would satisfy a lot of what those asking for a new engine really want.

The game entered development a long time before EA standardised on Frostbite; SWOR was in some form of develpoment at least since 2006, while the first release of Frostbite was released in 2008,[sedation needed] so that was in no way a choice. Back then, I don't really think that there was much of a choice in "MMO-grade" engines, so Hero, which was at least somewhat proven, wasn't even the worst choice.

Problem with just upping texture resolution is that it immediately cuts into the entire pipeline and hits every single bottleneck. There's also a tonne of different skins, textures, texts, … potentially visible at any given point (think load times at PvP terminal) and with the explosion of different items since the cartel market opened, the whole thing is already straining. Many textures are also deliberately "flat", possibly in a bid to keep the visuals from getting too crowded and borrowing from the Clone Wars æsthetics; however, there's still a surprising amount of detail in there, so I wouldn't really call it outdated or bad. Art has some really idiotic issues like the badly tiling grass and object popping, but by and large, it's one of the better-looking experiences in the genre. The superficial simplicity also helps with keeping things consistent.

I agree. TOR does not look cartoony to me. I think LotRO looks rather non-cartoony and TOR looks even less cartoony than LotRO.