Marauder Versus Juggernaur DPS

bliapis

I believe Juggernaut will have more AoE abilities because they are the tanks, therefor they should have some AoE abilities which will allow them to pull agro.

But Marauder would be a higher DPS.

Juggernauts abilities do similar damage to a Marauder, but they have less Strength so they will do less damage but their abilities pull more threat.

I've never played a Juggernaut so im not 100% sure but this is my thought on the matter.

Juggernaut: Low / Medium DPS and High Threat Abilities

Marauder: Medium / High DPS and Medium Threat just from so much damage being dealt.

In equal gear you are looking at equal damage. Only difference is Marauder has a few more tools for making their dps effective in more situations.

This is just completely false... They stated they want all classes to be viable, not equal. In-fact George has said on these forums that the Mara would have slightly higher DPS where a Jugg would have slightly higher survivability when both specc'ed DPS.

I would quote it for you but they wiped the forums. He also stated that 5% is not seen as significant to them. We came to the conclusion that the marauder would be ahead of the Jugg by 1%-5% depending on balancing. All gear, skill, situtationals being equal of course.

PS: Please do not spout non-sense when you don't know what you are talking about.

Edited by TwoHearted

This is just completely false... They stated they want all classes to be viable, not equal. In-fact George has said on these forums that the Mara would have slightly higher DPS where a Jugg would have slightly higher survivability when both specc'ed DPS.

I would quote it for you but they wiped the forums. He also stated that 5% is not seen as significant to them. We came to the conclusion that the marauder would be ahead of the Jugg by 1%-5% depending on balancing. All gear, skill, situtationals being equal of course.

PS: Please do not spout non-sense when you don't know what you are talking about.

i believe, if i'm not mistaken, at present: marauder actually has more survivability / more tools than a jugg dps'er. this doesn't go against what you said & might be corrected, but short of higher armor, i don't think the jugg is superior to the marauder in any way. however, this is all just from reading. i'm still not 50 on my BH and haven't begun my sith warrior yet.

i believe, if i'm not mistaken, at present: marauder actually has more survivability / more tools than a jugg dps'er. this doesn't go against what you said & might be corrected, but short of higher armor, i don't think the jugg is superior to the marauder in any way. however, this is all just from reading. i'm still not 50 on my BH and haven't begun my sith warrior yet.

I've been a dps-spec Juggernaut while levelling (mid-30s as of last night), and I can state for a fact that I have far more survivability than a Marauder my level. Juggernauts have some extra panic buttons, more armor, and I have a frontal AoE with no cooldown (costs rage) that is useful for packs of weak mobs that I don't believe marauders get. I'm sure they have some dps abilities I don't, but in terms of survivability it doesn't compare.

In heroics I can stay dps specced, drop into Soresu Form and tank/dps just fine. Then for soloing, Shien Form keeps my Rage high for pure dps.

I've been a dps-spec Juggernaut while levelling (mid-30s as of last night), and I can state for a fact that I have far more survivability than a Marauder my level. Juggernauts have some extra panic buttons, more armor, and I have a frontal AoE with no cooldown (costs rage) that is useful for packs of weak mobs that I don't believe marauders get. I'm sure they have some dps abilities I don't, but in terms of survivability it doesn't compare.

In heroics I can stay dps specced, drop into Soresu Form and tank/dps just fine. Then for soloing, Shien Form keeps my Rage high for pure dps.

awesome to know! thanks, archon :) are you happy w/jugg dps? i always like going a different route than the majority if it truly is viable.

this is where my information came from:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=65053

see the 7th post in link.

so did you get some of these abilities after the lvls described in that link, or do you just disagree w/them?

Juggernauts abilities do similar damage to a Marauder, but they have less Strength so they will do less damage but their abilities pull more threat.

Why would they have less strength? It's relative to gear. They can still wear DPS specific gear, rather than tanking/avoidance gear if they wanted.

I'm playing a Vengance specced Jugg and I can say the real strength of a DPS Jugg is versatility.

When Im running flashpoints I always keep my taunts handy to pull aggro off our tank or healer if he's taking a beating then pop my talented saber ward which gives me 2 seconds of invulnerablity, a life saver.

As for damage its hard to say which class does more overall dps, probably Marauder and certianly his burst damage is better. However I think that over longer fights the Jugg will match his dps due to better resource managment.

In PvP I have no issues taking down marauders 1v1 due to my defensive CDs and better mitagation. Player skill really plays in here. Against ranged Juggs have more of an issues due to less ability to gap close.

A dps Jugg and Mara should have roughly equal dps. Maras are inherently more "burstier" than a dps Jugg and I believe GZ had said in the last beta build that Maras had very,very, slightly higher dps while dps Juggs had very,very slightly more survivability and this was due to their talents and ways they dps.

A dps Jugg and Mara should have roughly equal dps. Maras are inherently more "burstier" than a dps Jugg and I believe GZ had said in the last beta build that Maras had very,very, slightly higher dps while dps Juggs had very,very slightly more survivability and this was due to their talents and ways they dps.

Er no that's how it's suppose to be not how it is.

Marauders are suppose to have a very slightly higher DPS (5% at max) and DPS Juggs are suppose to have slightly higher (very slight) better defenses.

That's not reality. Marauders are capable of far more DPS and in my opinion have better survivability due to the nature of their cool downs.

A DPS Juggs in the tanking form does have better passive mitigation but then they are giving up a portion of their damage to do so.

Utility wise the Juggs has a few more tricks up their sleeve but as far as pure damage and survivability Marauder wins (against DPS spec Juggs).

What? You're insane. I'm a Marauder lvl 33 and I have a friend who is 33 Jugg as well. He tanks more and i distribute more pain. I have another lightsaber and I put a ton of stuff into strength, he puts his into endurance. That's why Vette is great for Jugg and Quinn is great for Marauder.

I'm playing a Vengance specced Jugg and I can say the real strength of a DPS Jugg is versatility.

When Im running flashpoints I always keep my taunts handy to pull aggro off our tank or healer if he's taking a beating then pop my talented saber ward which gives me 2 seconds of invulnerablity, a life saver.

I also do this, I think it's great that we have the versatility to do so.

My only concern is that ignorant people will say "why aren't you tanking" It hasn't happened to me yet but I have a feeling it will as I don't do many heroic 4's of FP's. I have been asking random Jugg's on the server if they're leveling as dps or tank and all of them have said tank. So it's hard to say whether dps jugg's will be accepted.

As a level 33 tank spec Juggernaut I can take a hell of a lot more damage than a Marauder. I can also take a bit more damage than a DPS spec Juggernaut, as we get a few nice abilities that they don't. Yet the DPS spec Juggernaut doesn't really seam to do that much more damage than I do as a tank. Though of course the Marauder does a noticeably higher amount of damage.

Marauders get sweeping slash. Also no we don't get anymore defensive cooldowns. Both Marauder and DPS jugg get 2. Both of the Juggs are on a 3 minute cooldown, one of which can kill the jugg if it wears off at the wrong time. Marauder gets two, one on a 3 minute cooldown, the other on a minute cooldown with a 30 second duration while being hit. they also get an instant stealth and aggro drop for the oh **** moments. Heavy armor is only 5% more mitigation which is nothing. Juggs also have no self heals unlike the Marauder. About the only advantage we have is push which is situationally great. The marauder is easily more survivable.

Er no that's how it's suppose to be not how it is.

Marauders are suppose to have a very slightly higher DPS (5% at max) and DPS Juggs are suppose to have slightly higher (very slight) better defenses.

That's not reality. Marauders are capable of far more DPS and in my opinion have better survivability due to the nature of their cool downs.

A DPS Juggs in the tanking form does have better passive mitigation but then they are giving up a portion of their damage to do so.

Utility wise the Juggs has a few more tricks up their sleeve but as far as pure damage and survivability Marauder wins (against DPS spec Juggs).

You leveled both a marauder and juggernaut to lvl 40 +? no? Ok, cause I'm pretty sure jugg DPS is up to par.

• 1 month later...

Jugg DPS is more then just "up to par" Looking at it from a pure PVP aspect 50 bracket-wise a Rage spec Jugg in full dps/vindicator gear can Keep up around the same dps IF NOT MORE thena marauder (skill dependant) and here's why.

Jugg's are more versatile able to equip shield or a focus and able to use soresu form while in Rage or Veng DPS spec's essentially making them gen less rage but making thema semi tank that can nuke you easily for 6k smash crits and outlast your dps.

A pure DPS Jugg in Sii-Cho form in Rage will out dps or put out the same DPS as any mara in any spec easily. The damage gain from 30% extra smash dmg + Dreadnaught almost or more then makes up for a 2nd saber that (in reality) does not do a lot.

Juggs DO have ALOT more survivability. The extra armor does infact help and oh yeah don't forget about the much higher and more important stat they got------> Damage reduction.

An unbuffed DPS jugger in Shien or Sii-Cho will outlast a mara in cloak of pain. A dps jugger in Soresu will outlast a marauder in cloak of pain 24/7 with 0 cd duration.

Marauders get sweeping slash. Also no we don't get anymore defensive cooldowns. Both Marauder and DPS jugg get 2. Both of the Juggs are on a 3 minute cooldown, one of which can kill the jugg if it wears off at the wrong time. Marauder gets two, one on a 3 minute cooldown, the other on a minute cooldown with a 30 second duration while being hit. they also get an instant stealth and aggro drop for the oh **** moments. Heavy armor is only 5% more mitigation which is nothing. Juggs also have no self heals unlike the Marauder. About the only advantage we have is push which is situationally great. The marauder is easily more survivable.

Marauders get 3... Predation also adds a 10% damage mitigation when used and you can't honestly say 30 stacks of fury is tough to get.

Personally I think the item set bonus for level 50 pushes favor into the juggs hands, you know the whole 8% healing every 20 seconds and the plus 10% damage increase after force charge, with a rage build ive seen people pump out 8k AoEs as Juggs.

Having said that I still prefer to play Marauder as they have a lot more tools at their disposal

Ive started the Warrior class and im interested to know if they compare DPS with each other?

Also i wanna know if one AC excels to AoE damage while the other is more focused on single target DPS.

No meters and no combat logs means no one knows. Anyone who says otherwise is guessing.

Seriously. Guessing.

No meters and no combat logs means no one knows. Anyone who says otherwise is guessing.

Seriously. Guessing.

To a certain degree.

You can test your dps on say a world boss solo kill. The one in Dromund Kaas works fine(dont have to use def cds or heals).

hp of boss divided by seconds it takes.

But ofcourse it's hard to tell precisely. RNG, missing buffs etc. But just as an indication.

Gotten around 1350 dps selfbuffed as jugg veng build twice now.

Edited by Johnskaft

Jugg DPS is more then just "up to par" Looking at it from a pure PVP aspect 50 bracket-wise a Rage spec Jugg in full dps/vindicator gear can Keep up around the same dps IF NOT MORE thena marauder (skill dependant) and here's why.

Jugg's are more versatile able to equip shield or a focus and able to use soresu form while in Rage or Veng DPS spec's essentially making them gen less rage but making thema semi tank that can nuke you easily for 6k smash crits and outlast your dps.

A pure DPS Jugg in Sii-Cho form in Rage will out dps or put out the same DPS as any mara in any spec easily. The damage gain from 30% extra smash dmg + Dreadnaught almost or more then makes up for a 2nd saber that (in reality) does not do a lot.

Juggs DO have ALOT more survivability. The extra armor does infact help and oh yeah don't forget about the much higher and more important stat they got------> Damage reduction.

An unbuffed DPS jugger in Shien or Sii-Cho will outlast a mara in cloak of pain. A dps jugger in Soresu will outlast a marauder in cloak of pain 24/7 with 0 cd duration.

Just...wrong. The marauders you've seen have no idea what they are doing.

Only class I have ever lost to 1v1, including those with better gear, is a stealth specced Op/scoundrel.

The only test I have been able to do is on the council in EV. I'm usually done with my mob when my jugger friend's is down to about 10-15%, but it's been much closer as well. I think that, given max buffs and sunders on boss, marauders might pull slightly ahead, however Juggs bring sunders and the ability to OT to the raid as well.

Also, marauders are much harder to play correctly than juggs. This, in itself, will lead players to believe that marauder dps is bad, when in fact, it is just the fact that most marauders are bad / not playing their class to it's fullest.