Are you waiting for that next MMO that will actually pay attention to PvP and co.?

TOR-tanic

Hope someone can help me by recommending a good MMO to me...

Here's what I am looking for.

#1 RVR (I like to pvp for what I view as a reason... not just for stats but where pvp actually affects the world/realm)

#2 FFA pvp (if there is no RvR available)

#3 Huge, fully accessable world with few instances. (I love to explore)

#4 Good story driven PVE (good if it is tied into the pvp somehow to give the world a feeling of continuity)

#5 Good crafting system.

#6 housing/ship/spaceship

#7 player driven market

#8 No arenas (Open world PVP > battlegrounds/WZ)

#9 A support staff that isn't afraid to enforce its rules of conduct / ToS

I know there have been games in the past that had most of these elements. But I am looking for something new.

#1 DAOC / Planetside 1 & 2 / EQNext / GW2 / and a few others

They all affect gameplay in some way. But really there will never be a game that it affects the game in such a detrimental way that will matter to any variable degree that you cant take back the objective at some point. Because of 3rd shifters and Oceanic players. Things in the game world always gets taken back or changed around in those situations.

#2 DarkFall... is your game then i don't enjoy it because some people hack to get their skills maxed and all you'll see is a lot of gank parties that travel around with friends. And you will have people invite you to groups for quests and dungeons and then just disband you and then gank you which happens in other FFA pvp games like EQ1 server..... But that is what you will get with a FFA pvp game.

#3 EQ1, WoW, & most P2P mmo's have this. Not all but most. Avoid the buy one time and F2P games otherwise you get nothing but instances which i hate as well... like Gw1 / gw2 / NeverWinter online / and so on.

#4 Ummm you're playing it... and WoW... No game will ever have its PVE or PVP affect each other. as the PVE or the PVP players would have a tizzy. But story wise at least This game and WOW do a good job at making each faction hate each other for good reasons. Most games i feel fall short. But hopefully Wildstar does a good job with making itself crazy like Borderlands1/2 and does a good faction hate storyline which i hope it will.... Heck can we just get the Planetside 2 team to work with the Borderlands 2 team and have ESO scrap its project and work with them to create a Borderlands Online MMO? Crazy everything? i am down!

#5 A Good Crafting system is subjective.... I like Swtor's i hate farming my own mats so.. yah

#6 Well every MMO is trying to make housing happen now. Swtor said they may work it into our ships.... Wild Star looks the best atm because they bothered to show you video's of what you can do with it. And i like how you can have a farm that you harvest from. Facebook game tie in? yes plz. EQ2 had housing / FFXIV ARR is going to have it on 12/17/13... EQnext(3) will have it. WoW is working on it... Basically any P2P game that wants to attract people from games like Sims / Second Life / Facebook webbased games... will have it. I am not a big fan of any game that will have you destroying your house. in a battle..... Wildstar is going to keep housing and Guild pvp fortress battles separate for instance which makes me happy... No offense to your hardcore nature mate but i like to keep what i work for.

#7 everything is player driven... if the devs just did what they wanted and didnt care about their player base a lot of games would tank. P2P/F2P games rely on making content that'll keep you paying

#8 DarkFall for you then.......

lots of games have variations of this... Most suck at it...... WoW did okay with theirs, even though it is more instanced sort of... in WOTLK.... not as good as DAOC.

Most games will have both Open and instanced because different flavors for different folks. And besides most people have different computer specs and not all able to handle 30-50+ people duking it out... Heck in Rift Open world sucked more than 50 people and you had invisible/unable to render players all over.... Besides that i hate Open world because most games have it rendered so you can only see so far away.. and its like Boom Oh hey how are you.. now i see your crowd of 20 enemies now that i am within 5 meters...

#9 ... Go with SOE... it is the only company that has banned players for twitter posts... Which imho go them.. tired of internet trolls not being dealt with and thinking they can do what they want and expect no repercussions.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres new SW-games comming too. After the new SW Movies hit the screen 2015 there will be new SW games based on that time era, and thats an other reason why TOR will be shutdown.

Yah... no.... it will help SWTOR but there is no way disney is going to put forth a team to make a MMO.... not a chance

Disneys main money market is parents buying things for kids... You really think most parents wanna buy a nice computer and pay monthly for them to play a game on their butts?

There will be plenty of Wii and console games sure coming out with it ya. and BattleFRONT 3 fo shure from DICE/Disney. But MMO style... No... lawl no.. Penguin Tablet/phone/browser style? Yes

Edited by Strixs

If there will come a mmo where it's main focus is on pvp I'll look forward to that, but so far that doesnt seem to be coming any time soon if at all

I'll just stick around and wait, maybe give some new mmo's a try but till I find something better for pvp then swtor, I aint going anywhere.

I honestly don't think there will ever come a game where arena is balanced, cause there will always be a fotm comp with the small team + wide variety of class and spec choices.

Why I hope that we'll get 8vs8 rwz's and they balance pvp around those.

Keep arena alive if there enough arena die hards left but don't make it the main focus of pvp.

um... Darkfall online? and DAOC? both have been out a while and both PVP....

Sorry to say most MMO games will never have PVP as their ultimate focus. PVE is worth more pound for pound. Without PVE and storyline. PVP turns dull... Like how another guy commented he wants pvp to be involved in storyline and so forth.. well Swtor and WoW are very much like that.. While other games have PVP like it but fail at story so its less interesting.

Wildstar might be better than swtor but i am sick of trinity-focused games and the gfx style looks horrible (then again I said the same thing about Wow's gfx style and still played it for years). I want to like ESO but being built for a console may hurt/cripple the interface options - I will definitely check it out though. I will also check out EQN for the world-building options if nothing else but it's too soon with too little info to get excited about it.

EQN building may be fun... Maybe...... I was excited at the fact they were allowing players to potentially build things that you will see in the game.... Then i later found it... it will eventually be destroyed so it was like... Oh.. nevermind then i work for something and it makes it into the content just to be destroyed and replaced? Nah i like earning and keeping. Stupid Pack Rat mentality.

ALl things they do that are different, asside. The guys I know were huge Elder Scrolls fans and their hype died out for it in a weekend of beta. They played GW2 for some time while I just couldn't get into the combat at all, so maybe I would have different tastes, but I doubt it. I got bored with Skyrim pretty fast as it seemed like I was doing the same thing in a slightly different dungeon/cave most the time.

Same here. Was really hyped about the game, got into Beta and was sorely disappointed. For me It's all about Wildstar at this point.

Sorry to say most MMO games will never have PVP as their ultimate focus. PVE is worth more pound for pound. Without PVE and storyline. PVP turns dull... Like how another guy commented he wants pvp to be involved in storyline and so forth.. well Swtor and WoW are very much like that.. While other games have PVP like it but fail at story so its less interesting.

A lot of players don't even know what they want for PVP and a lot of the stuff they think they want on paper doesn't work so hot in practice... Take Communism as an example?

PVP will never be balanced so long as you dont play the same class vs same class period.

MMO's fail when there isn't enough customization for a class/character which makes balance difficult.

And PVP you can only go so far with the content and you need lots of Filler... PVE has so much good filler if you enjoy it.... If you don't i suggest you mix your PVP wants with different games.. Sub to this one.. play a console fps and a PC RTS and enjoy multiple games to get your total pvp fix...

Asking for your PVP ""fix"" on just 1 MMOrpg/story game is just not going to work in my own experience.

Say a combination of League of Legends / Planet Side 2 / SWTOR / StarCraft 2 all 4 different yet decently enjoyable forms of PVP on your PC at reasonable prices.

Edited by Strixs

Guild Wars 2

World Vs. World

/End Thread

If you mean following a dot around a map in a zerg formation that is tight and spamming your AOE's and steamrolling everything till you hit another wall/zerg that is bigger or in a tighter formation with a better DOT or maybe even OMG :eek: 2 DOTS :eek: Then ya sure that is Worlds vs World ... yep

As others have said, hoping Wildstar proves to be better.

We shall see... Hopefully the storyline is great which so far based on videos it looks like a Cross between Borderlands silly crazy and Ratchet and clank mechanics/graphics.

We shall see how PVP goes, i like the ability to not lose control of my character idea that'll be one new thing to the gaming world when it comes to crowd control. Another earlier poster said though that the dev's informed the community the game is not revolved around PVP. Which is cool and even though it isnt they acted as though Guild on guild Fortress PVP will already be ready to go. Which is neat.

I like the whole explorer / scientist / builder / soldier players can go into which will expand the story.

I've been a huge proponent of Wildstar saving the day. I've told anyone who would listen how awesome it's going to be. It still might be, but...

I've been so hyped and dying for beta. I was certain I'd jump ship the moment it was available. "A friend" (read NDA) got into their beta three days ago. I've...I mean he's...only played a few times. Very disappointed. Lot of potential, but swtor has ruined mmo's for him. The gameplay feels very slow and clunky, even for beta.

I'm not saying I won't give it a go when it drops, but my friend is already back playing swtor. Honestly, made me think back to my first day of swtor beta...where myself and friends (all since gone bc of eaware) declared it the best game we'd ever played almost immediately, within the first 10 levels. Just food for thought.

Ah well. Swtor would be untouchable under the guidance of another developer.

I've been a huge proponent of Wildstar saving the day. I've told anyone who would listen how awesome it's going to be. It still might be, but...

I've been so hyped and dying for beta. I was certain I'd jump ship the moment it was available. "A friend" (read NDA) got into their beta three days ago. I've...I mean he's...only played a few times. Very disappointed. Lot of potential, but swtor has ruined mmo's for him. The gameplay feels very slow and clunky, even for beta.

I'm not saying I won't give it a go when it drops, but my friend is already back playing swtor. Honestly, made me think back to my first day of swtor beta...where myself and friends (all since gone bc of eaware) declared it the best game we'd ever played almost immediately, within the first 10 levels. Just food for thought.

Ah well. Swtor would be untouchable under the guidance of another developer.

The twitches are not very overwhelming also. There is no announcement on pvp though.

Edited by Aetideus

PVP will never be balanced so long as you dont play the same class vs same class period.

MMO's fail when there isn't enough customization for a class/character which makes balance difficult.

Why do people think this?

15 years ago I had a camcorder, a mobile phone, a clunky desktop, a camera, and a PDA. Now I have an iPhone.

We can cram all of that tech into a handhelp package, but MMO developers in 2013 can't balance 8 advanced classes and their mirrors in competitive PvP?

Really?

15 years ago I had a camcorder, a mobile phone, a clunky desktop, a camera, and a PDA. Now I have an iPhone.

We can cram all of that tech into a handhelp package, but MMO developers in 2013 can't balance 8 advanced classes and their mirrors in competitive PvP?

Really?

I ate an apple yesterday and it was so tasty. Why can't oranges be as tasty as apples? I don't get it.

No. Really. What does an iPhone being able to do all that have anything to do with perfect balance in an MMO?

Really?

Because you only get to choose one class going into the match. Take a game like League of Legends, where you don't level up anything, you just choose a champion with a certain skill set each match. Your team can pick appropriate champions to synergize well and you can build a team to counter the other team, even if they have the perceived stronger champions. You get to established your starting stats and extra abilities during the pick/ban phase so you can further customize your build based on the enemy team for more defense, more offense, or more utility.

Since an MMO requires you to have your character all setup and chosen going into the match, you will never randomly get generated with a good composition to counter the other team, it's purely luck based. Smash is an extremely high damage ability, but against sins who get stealth to open on them, a 30% AOE damage reduction talent, and force shroud to completely block the damage, they can be countered.

Now imagine in an MMO where the other team first picks a Smash Mara and you can select your toon of choice to counter that pick from any you have available. You can then equip the gear that you want for that match, set your skill tree up, etc. while the other team is making their choices. Now you are getting closer to something balanced and strategic as you go back and forth filling out your roster. Most classes right now have their niche roles that they perform well at, but you can't expect that role to be highly coveted in every situation. So you mostly see Smash DPS and Operative healers because they have the most generic role to fill: they do a lot of damage and do a lot of heals regardless of the team makeup.

Maybe I should just get a real life.

I heard the graphics were amazing, but the actual gameplay got stale and boring after awhile.

Personally, I'm gonna be playing WildStar on the longterm. My tor sub runs out in 2 days and I highly doubt I will return to this game, barring Bioware finally implements a Huttball League and x-server. (like that's ever going to happen)

Good luck to anyone that continues to play this game. Hold your lightsabers high.

Really?

Nope, MMO's will never be balanced. No one has achieved it yet. Blizzard is the one that came closest despite it's many shortcomings.

Nope, MMO's will never be balanced. No one has achieved it yet. Blizzard is the one that came closest despite it's many shortcomings.

Blizzard never got anywhere near any reasonable class balance in any arena/rbg season or in vanilla, always 1 or 2 over the top classes/comps.

At 2k mmr you got teamed up against a fotm 9/10 times.

Blizzard never got anywhere near any reasonable class balance in any arena/rbg season or in vanilla, always 1 or 2 over the top classes/comps.

At 2k mmr you got teamed up against a fotm 9/10 times.

The only over the top class blizzard had was the Undead Rogue. Once Will of the Forsaken was nerfed they becaome much easier to manage. Every class had a sound counter class. Something this game is light years away from having. That's my opinion anyway.

The only over the top class blizzard had was the Undead Rogue. Once Will of the Forsaken was nerfed they becaome much easier to manage. Every class had a sound counter class. Something this game is light years away from having. That's my opinion anyway.

PvP isn't balanced around 1on1 or class x counters class y.

WoW PvP is balanced around 3vs3 arena and to some degree rbg's.

Every season there were one or two 3's comps that were completely rediculous.

If you only care about 1on1 balance then an mmo with a wide variety of classes isn't a game for you, cause it'll never get balanced around that.

Oh and blood dk is more rediculous then rogues were/are for 1on1, heck double blood dk is easy 2k rating in 2's.

I heard the graphics were amazing, but the actual gameplay got stale and boring after awhile.

Personally, I'm gonna be playing WildStar on the longterm. My tor sub runs out in 2 days and I highly doubt I will return to this game, barring Bioware finally implements a Huttball League and x-server. (like that's ever going to happen)

Good luck to anyone that continues to play this game. Hold your lightsabers high.

Having watched all their videos there is nothing new. The char movement is like 5y ago. You get 10 active abilities where in swtor you have 20. How boring is that? No full voice and the lore would be inferior. No announce for pvp yet but it is overhyped and currently with no reason.

Edited by Aetideus