The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Scouts OP?

Tougod

Ok, I've been seeing a trend over the last few days where the guys with the most kills are playing as scouts, and often they have zero deaths or only one or two deaths. While the Strike Fighters seem to be slotted as a 'tank' ship, able to take four fully charged railshot rounds and survive, the Scouts are the true threats, even more so than the Gunship, in my opinion. They have almost unlimited boost, able to cross the entire map in seconds, and have the ability to shred anyone in their path. If you are lucky enough to see them coming, you have a chance, but if you don't, they'll get on your tail and stay there until you die or self-destruct.

As my preferred ship is a gunship, I will freely admit that it hits like a truck, but we sacrifice mobility and durability for that firepower, in essence flying a glass brick. What do they really sacrifice? If you are lucky enough to actually hit them, they die fast...except for some scouts that just won't die no matter what. I spent a good 30 seconds tailing a Scout that had 10% health left, firing my blasters at him, hitting him a few times, and he just wouldn't die. In fact, he managed to get behind me and kill me.

I know it's still new, but they need to balance them a bit more or something.

Edited by Tougod

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should meet the guy who says, he cannot get a kill in his scout and gunships were totally overpowered.

Match made in heaven. Personally you both die to my strike fighter lol its all about how you play. Also just something to remember even if they have 10% hull they may have 100% shields its when they have low hp that you get tunnel vision and waste to much weapon power and make mistakes.

Stay calm fly smoothe

They can get a lot of kills but this is misleading. The way I play them is like a backstabing assassins since they lack the staying power of strike ships, but can have a high alpha strike when using dumbfire rockets. Not the best choice against some aware of you. Instead find someone that is distracted, like someone currently in a dogfight, or a gunship in sniper mode, then get close quickly using barrel roll and afterburner until you're at least 3000m away (medium distance for DPS purposes), then unload using lasers and rockets together. Immediately pull out if attacked.

Because of this hit&run tactics they get a lot of kills, as their target is usually already weakened from the current dogfight. As they seldom get many solo kills and have less assist unless their are many enemy gunships lurking around.

Against gunship that are standing still and have not spotted me I prefer sneaking up upon them to at least 900m and then do a full stop. That gives me the full 110% accuracy and damage bonus for being close, with bypass this is often an insta kill.

But for this you have to gear & crew your scout carefully towards speed, engine power pool and alpha strike .

For example using the energy booster that transfer 20% shield power to your engine pool with a 5sec CD.

Edited by Dragoon-

Scouts are no more OP than gunships. (Or strikers for that matter.) You just have to know how to counter them. A gunship should never be tailing anyone, let alone a scout. Gunships should boost away, hide, and sneak back in once they've been seen. They should never dog fight, as you will be outclassed by anything but another gunship. Heck, even in a striker I can't beat a scout if it gets into a turning war. However, if I can get some distance, between us, I can take him down with my heavier weaponry. I just can't win the maneuver war, and if they truly rabbit, I can't catch up.

Scouts excel at close in fighting but are vulnerable at range, Gunships excel at long range fighting but are vulnerable close in, and strikers are the balance. It's all good.

Edited by Brewski

Scouts aren't overpowered, in fact they are possibly the hardest ship to fly. We're just better than you! ;)

Being serious for a change, you just need to learn how to deal with scouts. Scouts are fast, very vulnerable and lack firepower compared to the larger ships but get one on your tail and you could be in a lot of trouble. If you're flying a gunship stay the hell away from them and snipe or you will die. Strike fighters should be able to kill a scout in a dogfight quite easily but again don't get too close or you won't be able to turn fast enough to catch them.

on my scout (preferred ship, for me) I spent all my req points on the turn engines (maxed out) damage capacitor (also maxed out) and am now putting points in my primary weapon...

the point is, you can't get mad at players for finding the optimum loadout for the way they play. yes, scouts are hard to hit, but when they do get hit, they don't last very long. at all.

Edited by Telos

Have you even played a scout OP? The post is exaggerated a little to be sure. Sure scouts have some good speed and excel at reaching and capturing satellites. But beyond that, they're quite weak. They take many hits to down anything bigger than another scout and get one shot by gunships.

Wonder when we'll see a "Strike Fighter OP?" thread?

I'm very surprised I havn't seen one yet.

The strike fighter is the best combat ship. You can take down anyone very easily.

If you're very good at GS, then you'll probably not die once in a strike fighter and rack up 10+ kills easily.

Ok, I've been seeing a trend over the last few days where the guys with the most kills are playing as scouts, and often they have zero deaths or only one or two deaths. While the Strike Fighters seem to be slotted as a 'tank' ship, able to take four fully charged railshot rounds and survive, the Scouts are the true threats, even more so than the Gunship, in my opinion. They have almost unlimited boost, able to cross the entire map in seconds, and have the ability to shred anyone in their path. If you are lucky enough to see them coming, you have a chance, but if you don't, they'll get on your tail and stay there until you die or self-destruct.

As my preferred ship is a gunship, I will freely admit that it hits like a truck, but we sacrifice mobility and durability for that firepower, in essence flying a glass brick. What do they really sacrifice? If you are lucky enough to actually hit them, they die fast...except for some scouts that just won't die no matter what. I spent a good 30 seconds tailing a Scout that had 10% health left, firing my blasters at him, hitting him a few times, and he just wouldn't die. In fact, he managed to get behind me and kill me.

I know it's still new, but they need to balance them a bit more or something.

Its not a matter of the ship, its a matter of the player. Do you think that a really good ship will stay alive for a long time if the player is flying in a straight line? No, scouts are not OP considering we are so squishy which is why we have speed and maneuverability. Take that away and we are cannon fodder; and not to mention, but If you play a gunship I can see why you think their OP since scouts are kind of made to counter gunships.

Edited by Cordarn

I'm very surprised I havn't seen one yet.

The strike fighter is the best combat ship. You can take down anyone very easily.

If you're very good at GS, then you'll probably not die once in a strike fighter and rack up 10+ kills easily.

yes Im suprised as well strike fighter with a average pilot can take down a good pilot in a scout and gunship at the same time Ive had several matches where ive left without dying and had well over 10-15 kills and 30000 objective points

Scout in the hands of a superior pilot is probably the most deadly. In the hands of a novice it's not so great.

Whether or not they are OP? I don't think so. Time will tell though.

I disagree scouts have a miniscule if not non existent advantage over the strike all they can do is run away and try to peck away at shields again while the strike gets a missile lock as you waste your burn

I disagree scouts have a miniscule if not non existent advantage over the strike all they can do is run away and try to peck away at shields again while the strike gets a missile lock as you waste your burn

Many of the best performances I am seeing are from Scouts.

I personally prefer the sting (Scout #2). I typically go between 9/1 and 14/0 in a match, and almost always get damage MVP. Based on achievements, I have something along the lines of 52 damage MVP's out of 72 games played; I top the leaderboard 72% of the time (if I had a way to track these for playing sting only, the % would be higher).

I have learned how to play the scout efficiently, and I have found a build that works VERY well for me.

However, I also play the other scout, default strike fighter, and gunship in order to get the daily double requisition on them. They have very few upgrades, and I don't know their intricacies. Yet I still end up at least top 3 when I play those. I have no doubt that if I upgraded and learned them the way I have learned the sting, I would be topping the leaderboard every game with them too.

TLDR:

It's not the ship, it's the player.

Match made in heaven. Personally you both die to my strike fighter lol its all about how you play. Also just something to remember even if they have 10% hull they may have 100% shields its when they have low hp that you get tunnel vision and waste to much weapon power and make mistakes.

Stay calm fly smoothe

float like butterfly, sting like bee

-m. ali on Scouts

Edited by paowee

This. But I also believe more skilled players choose scouts for their ability to turn the tide of battle anywhere on the map in a matter of seconds. The mobility is huge, especially in a domination match.

They have their speed but keep in mind we're not seeing a whole lot of range boosted strikes yet. A lot of the needed upgrades come deep in trees. Heavy laser cannons can be set up for nearly a 7km range, and proton torpedoes can lock on at over 11km and ignore all shield and armor, can we say scout killer? So while scouts can dart around the battlefield, strikes can create such a large effective combat bubble that it becomes a pretty solid counter to a scout.