SWTOR GSF Flight Stick Compatibility

-KeggER-

+1

Flightstick support should have been there already. BW's erratic mouse control scheme gives me a headache. I spend more time spinning in circles attempting to find the pointer than I do actually flying; I usually get it straightened out just in time to be picked off. While they're at it, they could add some camera controls, I would prefer to zoom in and have a HUD view instead of 3rd person. I would love to see TIR support, however, I find it doubtful that will happen.

this sounds like a l2p. I have no idea what you mean by spinning in circles while finding the cursor, I never have this problem.

I have noticed that all the people saying the controls are awful and joysticks are superior are all people who claim to be late 90s flight sim experts. Maybe those Sims just teach bad habits for gsf. The new generations don't have any issue going without archaic joysticks.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this sounds like a l2p. I have no idea what you mean by spinning in circles while finding the cursor, I never have this problem.

I have noticed that all the people saying the controls are awful and joysticks are superior are all people who claim to be late 90s flight sim experts. Maybe those Sims just teach bad habits for gsf. The new generations don't have any issue going without archaic joysticks.

Yeah you flight stick people learned bad habits, all the flight games these days are mouse only control that don't use those "archaic" joysticks. Oh wait, they all use them.

And throttle. We have go, we have go faster only when holding w. Boost with spacebar (which I'm fine with)

we have slow down, again only while holding down s. And we have full stop only with x ( which I can deal with). I would like to have a scalable, holdable throttle input. Yes, I am a flight /space sim veteran.

Not as important to me as having configurable joystick, but it is still a tactical consideration. I realize this will never be a sim but since Christmas is coming up I felt I should ask for it.:cool:

NOT A SPACE SIM!! Can you people not get this at all its not a space sim

I, too, would like to see joystick and throttle compatability. I've now flown 311 missions between PTS and live. And I still hate the mouse / keyboard setup. I *know* I can fly better than this, I've done it in many other flight games.

Besides all that - the current setup of constantly having to hold down a key for throttle control makes my fingers cramp. Absolutely annoying that those are not "sticky" settings at the very least.

People have made several suggestions how to work out having BOTH mouse/keyboard and joystick HOTAS setups in a game. Many others have done it successfully. That's one of two things I think are essential for me to ever enjoy Galactic Starfighter. Right now I do not, and intend to cancel when my sub is up - for the first time since launch. The other issue is off topic in this thread, but lack of PVE is a killer for me, too.

I don't understand why people are asking for flightsticks AFTER seeing the design of the targeting system.

The targetting system was designed with the mouse in mind. In requires precise movements of the mouse, especially when using blasters. If you want to to fuddle around with a joystick or flightsticks, be my guest. Don't complain when you can't shoot anything down.

we had a similar ms/kb flight option in SWG the flightstick centered the reticule and allowed the center of your screen to be your target ms/kb flyers were forced to switch if they wanted to compete because js users dominated the skies and obliterated ms/kb users

i would like flight stick options for GS please. BUT only if it gets its own targeting system, please don't add it just to add it, pitch and yaw and throttle response and all will be well. :);) what i am saying might be the wrong way to say it but, add a flight engine to go with the flight stick option, don't just map a stick to the mouse please and call it J/S support. Edited by Beerhauler
to add something

i would like flight stick options for GS please. BUT only if it gets its own targeting system, please don't add it just to add it, pitch and yaw and throttle response and all will be well. :);) what i am saying might be the wrong way to say it but, add a flight engine to go with the flight stick option, don't just map a stick to the mouse please and call it J/S support.

So you want it optimized for joystick? You realize there is no way to do that without giving joysticks a advantage over mousers which is NOT a good thing. I shouldn't have to buy a joystick to be competitive.

Besides do you not realize that joysticks are a dying hardware? Stores only stock one or two if they stock them at all, the 90s flight sims are gone.

So you're saying stick control for a flight game is old and outdated? you go girl.

Yup...and I'm not even a girl. Besides, this is an MMO, not a "flight game". It has a flying mini game in it. Learn to use the keyboard.

Expecting the developers to program this game to support technology that doesn't even have current drivers is silly. Contact your joystick manufacturer and get them to update their 95/98/Me drivers and download whatever software they develop that allows you to map keybindings to your joystick.

Yup...and I'm not even a girl. Besides, this is an MMO, not a "flight game". It has a flying mini game in it. Learn to use the keyboard.

Expecting the developers to program this game to support technology that doesn't even have current drivers is silly. Contact your joystick manufacturer and get them to update their 95/98/Me drivers and download whatever software they develop that allows you to map keybindings to your joystick.

Yeah I sure wish I could use the keyboard. I need a big ****** ace like you to help me. and no this is not a flight game, although that is what people asked for. it would be a flight game if it had an option to switch off the dumbed down controls.

My joystick is a year old, I got it to play flight games online , you know the flight games with js support aka every current flight game out and coming out?

If I was a clueless noob to flight games and didn't have a js or gamepad I would not care if they added it and I certainly would not be attacking random people on a message board for asking for the option.

Yeah I sure wish I could use the keyboard. I need a big ****** ace like you to help me. and no this is not a flight game, although that is what people asked for. it would be a flight game if it had an option to switch off the dumbed down controls.

My joystick is a year old, I got it to play flight games online , you know the flight games with js support aka every current flight game out and coming out?

If I was a clueless noob to flight games and didn't have a js or gamepad I would not care if they added it and I certainly would not be attacking random people on a message board for asking for the option.

You're a minority. I hope you get it, but you sure as hell shouldn't hold your breath.

Dumbed down lolwut? Joysticks and fixed reticle are dumbed down.

You mean the special interest games with tiny playerbases made up of nothing more than extreme fanboys? There is a reason electronics stores only have one dusy stand in the back of the store devoted to joysticks.

At least all us "clueless noobs" don't attack random people on a message board because modern games are not made like they where in "the good ole days, when I was a youngin"

You're a minority. I hope you get it, but you sure as hell shouldn't hold your breath.

Honestly as far as my flying is concerned I don't really care if they ever implement js control, I top 99% of the matches I play. I do care about this being a popular game and a draw to the main game. And while you call me a minority for liking joystick control in a flight game, among people who play flight games I am far from a minority.

To put it in mmo terms, in the flight game world mouse users are the clickers and js people are the keybinders.

Honestly as far as my flying is concerned I don't really care if they ever implement js control, I top 99% of the matches I play. I do care about this being a popular game and a draw to the main game. And while you call me a minority for liking joystick control in a flight game, among people who play flight games I am far from a minority.

To put it in mmo terms, in the flight game world mouse users are the clickers and js people are the keybinders.

You obviously care or you wouldn't be here asking for it.

I understand your reasoning, but again, it is such a specialized group of players that would want it that I can understand why Bioware wouldn't want to waste time developing it. Assuming EVERY flight sim, joystick lover came here, how many are going to stay subbed for 2 maps?

Dumbed down lolwut? Joysticks and fixed reticle are dumbed down.

Yes dumbed down, when I turn hard right with my mouse my ship yaws right a little, banks right and pitches up at the same time for me. To get any dumber it would have to fly itself and shoot down scrubs while I drank a beer and ate pizza.

You mean the special interest games with tiny playerbases made up of nothing more than extreme fanboys? There is a reason electronics stores only have one dusy stand in the back of the store devoted to joysticks

You mean like world of war planes and war thunder? two very large flight games, or the new Chris Roberts game that just broke a bunch of kikcstarter records?

And who the hell goes to an electronics store? they don't sell pc games anymore either, does that mean theyre all outdated and dead?

At least all us "clueless noobs" don't attack random people on a message board because modern games are not made like they where in "the good ole days, when I was a youngin"

I haven't been attacking anyone, ive been correcting people who dont know anything about flight games who instead of asking questions make stupid statements and try to insult anyone asking for an option they would like to see in this game, like you. Im sorry if after awhile I lose my patience and insult people too but after the person keeps making ignorant false claims I get fed up.

Edited by Mallorik

Seriously, attack people is all you have done here.

It might be interesting to note that what you quoted is a mirror of what the joystick guy is saying. So if that's a personal attack than my opponents are no better.

And comparing games to RL avionics suites is silly. Is Quickscoping taught to modern infantry? Or is jumping up and down while running down the middle? Gaming is nothing like RL and this is a space fantasy game so its not even comparable to RL.

Besides military drone technology is becoming more and more like a videogame in terms of controls - I would not be surprised if future drone controls where not far removed from a mouse and keyboard.

Anyway, Joysticks are a dying trend and exist only in minority interest games. It would not be smart for a company to spend developer time adding a feature that only benefits a minority and as no prospects of future growth.

Edited by Zoom_VI

You obviously care or you wouldn't be here asking for it.

I understand your reasoning, but again, it is such a specialized group of players that would want it that I can understand why Bioware wouldn't want to waste time developing it. Assuming EVERY flight sim, joystick lover came here, how many are going to stay subbed for 2 maps?

Well how many people from any group is going to stay for two maps? I know I sure as hell wont.

Think about this though, how many flight game people do you think are star wars fans? take into account all of the x-wing flight games that most consider to be the pinnacle of space flight games. And look at how much money star citizen made on kickstarter, just because its a flight game in space, made by the creator of the wing commander series. Theres more of us out there then you think there is, and one thing flight people seem to have in common, we aren't poor.

I just find it hard that it would not be worth adding in separate controls for yaw, pitch, roll, and throttle when 99% of the negative things mentioned by reviewers about GSF was its lack of js controls.

I haven't been attacking anyone, ive been correcting people who dont know anything about flight games who instead of asking questions make stupid statements and try to insult anyone asking for an option they would like to see in this game, like you. Im sorry if after awhile I lose my patience and insult people too but after the person keeps making ignorant false claims I get fed up.

Stop losing you patience. Insulting players isn't ok just because you're impatient.

Joysticks are a niche item in a niche market. MMOs are another niche in this string of niches. This isn't a flight sim...it's an MMO with a space combat game component. I hope they add it for you, but I doubt you'll see it.

Besides military drone technology is becoming more and more like a videogame in terms of controls - I would not be surprised if future drone controls where not far removed from a mouse and keyboard.

Anyway, Joysticks are a dying trend and exist only in minority interest games. It would not be smart for a company to spend developer time adding a feature that only benefits a minority and as no prospects of future growth.

LOL what kind of controls do you think a drone operator is using when hes actually flying the drone? hint, it aint a mouse.

Stop losing you patience. Insulting players isn't ok just because you're impatient.

Joysticks are a niche item in a niche market. MMOs are another niche in this string of niches. This isn't a flight sim...it's an MMO with a space combat game component. I hope they add it for you, but I doubt you'll see it.

Ok lets just forget about joysticks all together. Do you know what is also better than a mouse for flying games? A game pad, as far as programming they work exactly the same as a joystick.

And ive had to say that three or four times in every thread ive talked about this in and people like you keep going on and on about joysticks being outdated. So please if you don't know what youre talking about, ignore the need to voice opinion against an option we would like in the game.

Edited by Mallorik