Is this supposed to be twitch-based gameplay?

cashogy_reborn

Im noticing a lot of components/stats that reduce opponents evasion, increase your evasion, increase accuracy, etc. I was under the impression that GSF was twitch based, ie you put the cursor where it needs to be and you hit the target. If these stats work the way I think they do, and judging from the gameplay I think they do, there are passive modifiers that affect whether or not you actually hit your target *even if you are aiming properly*.

That is a bit off-putting IMO

Edited by cashogy_reborn

Maybe they flashed their headlights at you.

Personally, the games I have played of GSF so far, not that impressed with the experience. The graphics are fine, objectives seem okay, my problem is the TTK is too long for a space combat game. Basically this will start another round of turtling strats where the best teams will just race to the objective, capture and turtle. The TTK so far means that by the time you kill one of them and possibly a turret re-inforcments are there to prevent the capture of the point.

I am typically getting highest damage on the leaderboards 15k-25k dmg and still it takes forever to kill anyone,

Personally, the games I have played of GSF so far, not that impressed with the experience. The graphics are fine, objectives seem okay, my problem is the TTK is too long for a space combat game. Basically this will start another round of turtling strats where the best teams will just race to the objective, capture and turtle. The TTK so far means that by the time you kill one of them and possibly a turret re-inforcments are there to prevent the capture of the point.

I am typically getting highest damage on the leaderboards 15k-25k dmg and still it takes forever to kill anyone,

Did you play on the test server? Has damage been nerfed since then? I remember time to kill being pretty quick.

Did you play on the test server? Has damage been nerfed since then? I remember time to kill being pretty quick.

TTK is very long IMO. I spent literally an entire match dogfighting with one guy (we were both in strike fighters) b/c neither of us could inflict enough damage quickly enough on each pass.

Ive since been using the Scout fighter and like it much better. TTK is not much different but its far more maneuverable.

Not a fan of the RPG-roll elements in a seemingly twitch based game mode though.

The TTK rate is the eternal debate in PVP. On one end of the spectrum you have folks who like the Call of Duty approach where TTK is pretty much one hit one kill with constant respawns. This style rewards twitch based gameplay. On the other end of the spectrum you have folks who want a long TTK so there can be long drawn out battles and more strategy involved and less twitch style gameplay

What is the official gold standard for TTK in space combat MMOs? This is the first time I've ever played a MMO with space combat PVP so as far as I know there is no gold standard, just a personal preference. i think the longer the TTK the better personally.

I have to agree with the notion that it feels a bit slow paced, a duel can take some time.

Maybe that is to make those "rail guns" have a use? If everything could be three-shotted (or whatever you deem "normally reasonably fast"), then those guns might not feel like much.

The RPG elements like evasion... I don't know how I feel about them. It's kinda interesting, but it is unusual.

My favourite Space Combat title is still TIE Fighter, but it's followed by Independence War. In the latter, you didn't even aim yourself, the former was of course twitchy. :)

Edited by MustrumRidcully

TTK is very long IMO. I spent literally an entire match dogfighting with one guy (we were both in strike fighters) b/c neither of us could inflict enough damage quickly enough on each pass.

Ive since been using the Scout fighter and like it much better. TTK is not much different but its far more maneuverable.

Not a fan of the RPG-roll elements in a seemingly twitch based game mode though.

I hate the scout tbh... Isn't my playstyle, I like the Strike fighter, and it seems to kill pretty quick... But oh well.

Basically this will start another round of turtling strats where the best teams will just race to the objective, capture and turtle. The TTK so far means that by the time you kill one of them and possibly a turret re-inforcments are there to prevent the capture of the point.

This is already starting to happen as people figure it out. I've been in nothing but lopsided matches that were decided by whatever team got to the objectives the fastest. It takes forever to kill each other so it's just a big turtle fest where people kill themselves more often than each other and objectives seldomly change hands. There's no twitch reactions involved, except dodging asteroids. The whole evasion and accuracy thing cheapens the experience as well. Considering I came back to the game explicitly for this expansion, I find myself very close to canceling my subscription.

My main issue with the TTK is that due to the objective nature of these maps their has to be a quicker TTK otherwise the objectives will rarely change hands (especially considering having to take out turrets as well).

This leads to turtling strats and is one of the principal reasons why the 8v8 WZs failed because at the highest level it was impossible to capture a point. Here they have made it even more difficult by adding in defenses to the capture points that have to be taken out as well as any enemy combatants who just happen to be flying past.

I also agree that adding in evasion and accuracy (RPG elements) in a twitch based part of the game leads to issues in itself. Twitch based games tend to lean towards being less about stats and more about the person behind the keyboard/mouse/joystick/etc.... Here BW are trying to add a twitchy style of gameplay which also uses stats like evasion and accuracy which inevitably will lead to those who play the most being the strongest a la pre-bolster PVP. This became a major turnoff for the new players to the PVP ground based game and BW rightly had to close the gear gap. Unfortunately they have not learnt from their mistakes and have added in another hamster wheel.

The only upshot is that ships will allegedly only be placed with ships of equal gear. Considering the length of time it takes to get WZs to pop (if you are not on POT5/Bastion) then this will further dwindle down the population as their are now 4 queues :eek: (FPs, WZs, RWZs and GSF) that can only be queued for one at a time. Queue the flaming about wait times now.....

From what I have experienced so far the space combat game is a distraction at best but the combat seems slow and not engaging, the controls while cumbersome are merely an extension of the current on-rails space so not too tricky. I would personally like the camera to be more sensitive (I know opposite of what a lot of ppl are complaining about). I will give it a couple of weeks to formalize my final opinion of this part of the game.

So don't get sucked into an endless jousting match. Do it a couple of times so they get into a rut, then burn away, drop throttle to low, turn around, switch to long range blasters and lock missiles on him. If your aim is good, you should be able to eat through his shields and some armor just in time to loose a missile right up his nose.

As others have said... TTK is not quick. You don't *have* to joust or circle each other. The only reason that happens anywhere is because usually you really really do not want to get hit. Here you can eat a few, no problem. So it's not the question of who gets to shoot the other guy first, but who will outmaneuver their opponent. You both chasing each other's tails is not it.