Developer Update: Requisition and Upgrades

CourtneyWoods

Meh, I was in beta as well, and what I've seen didn't blow up my skirt. Like I said, I'll give it a shot, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath. it's definitely not something I would shell out $100 for.

Something new would be expansion on PVP - not talking about more WZ or arenas mind you. Or, addition of some sandbox elements. There are plenty of ideas on these boards and crowed about to death.

If you already played it, how do you supose GS could suprise you? I suspect that you, just like me, in fact did not play the beta, and therefor would be subject to a real suprise. But why then say you already played and then go a head and talk s*** about? Troll much?..here have some candy then!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get rid of the cartel coin cost for converting requisition. make it just standard game currency. you already make a substancial profit off the cartel market.

And that profit allows them to put more stuff into the game. The expansion might be "pay to avoid grind", but it isn't pay to win. That is fine by me.

I wonder how much conversion ship coms -> fleet coms will cost? Just curious, if 500 cc/month would be enough for casual player...

GS is a candy for us subs IMO, with more then a month headstart on PvP expansion plus paid currency conversion which can (finally) sink complimentry CC into something useful, instead of selling packs for creds. If GS is as good as the PTS players say (too bad I dont have time to look it up myself :confused:) - I think the game will see moar subs soon :)

Edited by Mad_yojik

If you already played it, how do you supose GS could suprise you? I suspect that you, just like me, in fact did not play the beta, and therefor would be subject to a real suprise. But why then say you already played and then go a head and talk s*** about? Troll much?..here have some candy then!

Because they can make changes from Beta to live - either feedback from those user in beta or stuff we haven't seen yet? Is your mental capacity so low that you can't fathom that?

If they fix the game window mutli-monitor/mouse issue, add joystick, nix new currency, less focus on gear - it may be enough to keep my around to play it a couple of months.

Unlike the attention deficit QQ - I make up my mind if something has value through fair review. Keep your slimmy, worm ridden, filthy candy to yourself.

Thanks, I'll stick to the ground-game.

E:

And as an old, old, sim-addict --I played X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, and the Wing Commander franchise when you still had to type "/crun (filename).exe" (<---or something like that, it all becomes a blur) to start up a game, no GUIs in those days-- this truly makes me sad.

You don't understand the requisition system and how cartel coins relate to it.

Cartel coins can effectively only be used to open up new ships--sidegrades at best. Only through ship requisition, which you have to earn and cannot accelerate or buy, can you actually upgrade the ship.

Besides, what's really important is that the GAMEPLAY (and the UI) is straight out of X-wing and TIE Fighter. Managing power between engines, lasers and shields, balancing shields between fore and aft, weaving between primary and secondary weapons... you owe yourself to give it a try if you enjoyed the old games.

I haven't seen any information on what you plan to do about the current space combat mission, not that i can call it space combat, considering its on rails.

So, are all combat missions going to be 360 degrees control and everything, like the pvp, unless its just pvp, then its just unfair.

I haven't seen any information on what you plan to do about the current space combat mission, not that i can call it space combat, considering its on rails.

So, are all combat missions going to be 360 degrees control and everything, like the pvp, unless its just pvp, then its just unfair.

Currently its just PvP, as far as I know. But I think if its successful and they can write a functional AI into it - they'll redo this to PvE aswell. Just speculation of course.

Although I am looking forward to this, from this description this game mode is essentially Mechwarrior Online with Tie Fighters. So how much MC to buy a new ship :)

That's a very apt comparison, or think WoT, or War Thunder.

Let's be clear: Galactic Starfighter is basically a whole NEW GAME being added to TOR. Not just some minigame, or whatever: it has the same basic building blocks as any one of those F2P multiplayer games named above.

And just like those games, GS has several ways you can spend money on it :

- Get a subscription to gain more requisitions per match (and early access). This is premium accounts on MWO.

- Buy cosmetic upgrades, like all those games.

- Buy a premium fighter that earns requisitions faster (like Hero mechs in MWO). Note that, like MWO, premium fighters are not any better.

- You can pay CC to transfer your ship-specific requisitions to general fleet requisitions. This is the same as converting mech XP to general XP in MWO.

None of these things are beyond the pale, and people need to stop freaking out whenever the game developers try to actually make money out of their work. GS is a new game added to TOR, and so it has its own ways to generate revenue.

Granted, just about EVERY F2P game forums explodes with complaints whenever it turns out the developers actually wants to make money, even though you CAN still play for free. I guess it's too much to expect some rational thinking.

Galactic Starfighter is a completely different system from the current Space Missions, and those missions are not going away. In fact, I dare say GS is a completely different GAME from TOR in the first place, except that it's accessed through the game and its ressources and rewards are tied to your characters.

For now, GS is purely PvP. In time PvE will be added if it's successful enough.

I wonder how much conversion ship coms -> fleet coms will cost? Just curious, if 500 cc/month would be enough for casual player...

GS is a candy for us subs IMO, with more then a month headstart on PvP expansion plus paid currency conversion which can (finally) sink complimentry CC into something useful, instead of selling packs for creds. If GS is as good as the PTS players say (too bad I dont have time to look it up myself :confused:) - I think the game will see moar subs soon :)

Indeed, GS is Pure Candy for us subs: our $ per month are suddenly giving us MORE bang for our buck: not only do we get a new awesome game added to TOR, but we also get extra requisitions every match (sort of like Premium time in MWO), without paying a cent more.

That said, concerning converting requisitions, on the PTS it's a very low charge. Extremely low, in fact. I think you can transfer enough reqs for a ship for something like 200 CCs, probably less.

It's a bloody awesome game, quite frankly, I can't wait for it to go live. :)

Currently its just PvP, as far as I know. But I think if its successful and they can write a functional AI into it - they'll redo this to PvE aswell. Just speculation of course.

Oh well, i was looking forward to it as well......such a pity that they made the stuff for pvp only, but then i am not surprised, they tend to make the cool stuff for pvp, well they tend to cry the most....i guess i will have to live with the starfox complex.

Also, that means i don't have to waste the bandwidth downloading the PTS to find out....thanks for saving me from wasting bandwidth.

Edited by JamieKirby

Indeed, GS is Pure Candy for us subs: our $ per month are suddenly giving us MORE bang for our buck: not only do we get a new awesome game added to TOR, but we also get extra requisitions every match (sort of like Premium time in MWO), without paying a cent more.

That said, concerning converting requisitions, on the PTS it's a very low charge. Extremely low, in fact. I think you can transfer enough reqs for a ship for something like 200 CCs, probably less.

It's a bloody awesome game, quite frankly, I can't wait for it to go live. :)

Well, i disagree there, its candy for the pvp'ers, since the 360 space flight is purely pvp, making it a waste of effort in my opinion, making this change for the most boring part of an mmo.

Oh well, i was looking forward to it as well......such a pity that they made the stuff for pvp only, but then i am not surprised, they tend to make the cool stuff for pvp, well they tend to cry the most....i guess i will have to live with the starfox complex.

Also, that means i don't have to waste the bandwidth downloading the PTS to find out....thanks for saving me from wasting bandwidth.

I invite you to check out this post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=700729

Well before GSF every expansion devs did was pretty PvE oriented, the Makeb - pure PvE, both for solo, small and large groups, same deal with Czerka and Orcion, so its logical they'll do something PvP oriented, so there came arenas and GSF. Also I fully understand why they can't do PvE GSF just yet... For such PvE you need brand new AI wired into the space part of the game, the AI on current "rail fighter" is virtually nonexistent. And AI is programming nightmare.

I myself mainly do PvE, but PvP, especially done in regulated manner (not "band of lvl 55s came to Korriban and killed everyone :D ") IMO adds spice to the game.

Glad to be helpful :rolleyes:. I would give it a try when its avalible, tho, if I were you ;)... Maybe you'll like it.

Granted, just about EVERY F2P game forums explodes with complaints whenever it turns out the developers actually wants to make money, even though you CAN still play for free. I guess it's too much to expect some rational thinking.

Humans are greedy and lazy by nature. Or they would be still living in caves and hunting mammoths with wooden spears. Also the numbers of rational humans always were few... especially on forums.

Confirmed Pay2Win? Groovy, least I won't need to feel bad about unsubbing, cuz this this officially killed any appeal GSF had.

Not that it would've been able to keep me in the game by itself anyway.

Looks pretty like current CM XP boost to me, not pay2win. You still have to earn requisition and still can spend it on ship you have.

P.S. I'm curious what this "Early Gunship Role Unlock " avalible to subs mean? Do we get to buy gunship earlier, or it will be granted?

Edited by Mad_yojik

I believe in balance, i think Makeb should have been 50-50 when it comes to pve and pvp, which is why i think they should have done the GSF thing for both pve and pvp and since its majorly pvp, i won't enjoy it one bit, i am not into pvp, infact i hate pvp, have done since it became more about winning instead of just having fun.

Confirmed Pay2Win? Groovy, least I won't need to feel bad about unsubbing, cuz this this officially killed any appeal GSF had.

Not that it would've been able to keep me in the game by itself anyway.

Possibly trolling, but nothing in GS is pay 2 win.

Like most F2P games, you pay for two things: cosmetics, and reducing the grind. That's how it works in GS. Any claims of pay to win is spurious.

The article makes only references to "players earn this, players earn that", not characters. Does that mean what you earn will be account/legacy wide when it goes live? If so, that will be great.
All requisition will be tied to the specific character you are using. Sorry for the confusion!
That's too bad. This means it makes it even less appealing for people with multiple characters. It's a shame that you "punish" people that have invested much time to grind up to 22 characters with yet another grind instead of rewarding them for it.

I'd love to play GSF with all my characters, but since progress doesn't count towards all (or at least the same faction), I don't know if I'll bother with it at all, especially since it has so little depth (compared to the Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed, not to mention the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series). Just playing for the sake of grinding isn't much fun for me.

Edited by Glzmo

That's too bad. This means it makes it even less appealing for people with multiple characters. It's a shame that you "punish" people that have invested much time to grind up to 22 characters with yet another grind instead of rewarding them for it.

I'd love to play GSF with all my characters, but since progress doesn't count towards all (or at least the same faction), I don't know if I'll bother with it at all, especially since it has so little depth (compared to the Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed, not to mention the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series). Just playing for the sake of grinding isn't much fun for me.

I have to admit I'm confused: why even "grind it" on multiple characters? Nobody is stopping you from just doing GS on a single character. The idea that you are being punished for having many alts is strange: is there some requirement that your alts must max out everything?

Furthermore, GS has little to no impact on the ground game... so it's not like your non-GS alts will somehow be weaker.

As for little depth, that's highly subjective. I find that there's excellent growth potential to GS, as new maps, game modes, and ship roles are added (to say nothing of new ships within the existing roles), I cannot agree that GS has no depth. Just remember that next week we're getting an early access, and the full release is in February, and take a look at games like War Thunder, MWO, and WoT for an idea of how far it can go (all while being integrated in your MMO, at that).

Edited by Itkovian

It's true that the character-specific rewards, and even ship-specific and component-specific rewards, mean that you need to pick only one character to play GS with. If you level up your starfighter on an alt for the xp, then any time you are sitting around on your main, you can't starfight.

Hey Glzmo, Jade_X from the SWG forums here. :) Just wanted to make you and others with large legacies aware of a potential issue being reported in the PTS forums. There is an achievement tied to having all of your companions unlocked, that as of testing this past weekend only goes to one character. So, when you log in on December 3rd, log in each class in reverse order, ending with the character you want to specialize piloting in.

Kudos to keginkc for laying out the issue and the workaround.

The whole "use CC to transfer ship requisition to fleet requisition" sounds very much like its been taken straight from "Star Conflict" which is pretty much a copy of what this expansion is anyway. It wouldn't be half bad if it wasn't for the fact that some of us already pay a subscription for this game.

I would bloody well hope that the CC conversion is REMOVED (or changed to in game currency) for subbed members, reduced for preferred status and is only implemented fully for free to play accounts. If i have to pay real money to transfer in-game currencies after already paying REAL MONEY to subscribe to the game then i will be leaving it well alone.

Don't get too greedy guys, or you will bite off your nose to spite your face.