When will we be able to romance same grender companions?

tomhjen

Oh, I'm aware - I was being cheeky, as they say across the pond ;). I'm not at all surprised that this topic would get moved while the many other companion or story related questions in general do not.

I know... I had noticed all the PvP-expansion threads still in General and not the PvP sub-section, contrary to their reasoning for moving these topics, and felt like taking a potshot at their approach. I'm kinda petty like that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fault. i posted a link to the already established thread in Story and Lore and it proved an irresistible lure for the mods. :o

Reminded them we existed... that thread is like a little plant on the back verandah that BW always forgets to water.

Cactus, toadstool... Wait-A-While vine. They're all good.

I'm curious, what got bleeped in the other thread?

The one that Joshigun got shut down? That was a combined effort of being grossly underwhelmed by free paint jobs and people decrying Joshigun asking about the state of SGRA's, two years after release and after two years of empty, empty lies.

Holy **** 6 pages in and the discussion has been fairly tame. Either due to good mods (thank you) or people are tired of fighting a dead horse.

I still really hope it comes. I fully understand that for some people there are more pressing matters in this game, but I would absolutely love for some sort of update from bioware. But that may require them giving details on things they are not ready (like announcing new companions to long before they should be)

I also wish more games would take the approach that dragon age did and not hide the same sex option. Why should everyone be straight unless you first identify yourself as not being straight. Is it really such a bad thing that someone may hit on your or ask for comfort (see Mass Effect 3 for example of that one) and you can just say you are not interested? I don't get personally offended or disgusted in a game when one of the many [*insert scary name for women reproductive parts*] having characters hits on me *cringe* ;)

[*insert scary name for women reproductive parts*]

I can understand why someone would write "*insert name for scary women reproductive parts*" (;))...

However, and maybe I'm just naïve, but I don't know any scary names for my naughty bits. Rude names, yes. But not scary !

I can understand why someone would write "*insert name for scary women reproductive parts*" (;))...

However, and maybe I'm just naïve, but I don't know any scary names for my naughty bits. Rude names, yes. But not scary !

It was more a joke how it is said often that gay men (which I am) find the lady parts scary :p

Well, I know a guy who likened certain parts to a sarlacc-pit. Admittedly he was drunk and usually refers to other body parts as the dairy, but I think this kind of phobia exists.

Cactus, toadstool... Wait-A-While vine. They're all good.

I'm curious, what got bleeped in the other thread?

Ah, yeah, don't get to the forums more than once a day or so, so i missed this until now.

Uh, well, i was surprised the second half of sourpuss gets bleeped when used by itself. In my experience it's used less often as an epithet or obscenity than "breeder", and that word's allowed.

You might be interested to know that Once Upon a Time has a queer Mulan.

That's an interesting perspective; I hadn't considered that. I read the linked article and didn't see any "official" comment from ABC speaking to it; has there been? While I certainly don't have a problem with the concept (I like how ABC has portrayed Mulan as the bada** that she is), I'm not necessarily convinced that her feelings were about Aurora.

From how I received it, Mulan starts out Season Two rather annoyed by Aurora's presence & ineptitude (not to mention their shared affection for Phillip.) But as their adventure continues on, Mulan develops a sort of grudging respect for Aurora in light of their conflict with Cora. I never got the impression that the respect entailed any sort of romantic interest. But now that I think about it...at the end of Season Two, when Neil ends up back in the Enchanted Forest, he's found by the trio. How Mulan and Aurora were able to rescue Phillip is never explained; they set out to find him mid-way through the season and he's magically there at the end. With the show's love of telling stories in flashback...did something happen between Mulan and Aurora during their search!? :eek:

Now I'm very intrigued...and have to wait to find out. Curse you "Once Upon a Time"!! (no pun intended) :p

Same gender, cross-gender... cross-species... I think that it would be nice for BW and SW:TOR (heck, all RPG games!) to allow for a multitude of romantic/intimately personal relationships. That said, it just simply isn't possible to pre-program/script/voice act all possibilities of either romantic entanglements (I'm an Imperial Agent in love with a Twi'lek dancer who just so happens to be a Republic Smuggler stealing from my Sith spouse) or sexual liaisons (a dominatrix Ewok commanding its submissive Hutt to have a three-way with a transvestite Wookiee?).

So, while it would be nice to have everything handed to me on a Xonolite platter (and, yes, we should be able to romance same-gender companions), the solution I have arrived on for myself is this:

- If I really want something outside the current scope of the game, I can find a like-minded (similarly bent) player to RP with; or,

- With the case of companions, I can imagine what I want versus the reality of the game mechanics (unrequited love?).

Honestly, even though these are less than ideal solutions, they are a hell of a lot better than all of my real life relationships... SO THERE! Heh heh... sigh... sob.

:jawa_biggrin:

(I just noticed the title says "grender" - what's grender?)

The only time I have ever seen the word 'grender' deliberately spelled that way was an NPC monster in the Everquest II expansion Echoes of Faydwer, where the newly accessible fay (faerie) player characters have to figure out why everything around the tree-city of Kelethin is either sick or dying. The 'Grender' (a satyr) is found to be the one responsible. So the players kill him and take his stuff. :D

Yeah, I know it was likely a typo on the OP's part. :p

And just as a thought on 'straight males are the largest percentage'...well, I contend that is true, in generalized terms. If straight males comprise, say, 21%, and no other race/preference demographic makes it above the 20% mark, the contention that they are the largest percentage is obviously true. Thus, gay males at (pulling numbers out of...um...thin air) 11%, bi males at 19%, straight women at 20%, gay women at 14%, bi women at 15%, and pansexual Martians at 1% are all, as percentages, less than straight males.

Now all we need to do is add that up to 79% non-straight males, factor in straight folks who support their LGBT peers (or just don't care one way or the other), and perhaps factor out non-straights who disapprove of such inclusions in the game (and they probably do exist, though I have no statistics one way or the other), and the math still comes out wholly on the side of including SGRA's. Randomly generated percentages aside, I really can't see where this argument doesn't apply. There's enough to keep me worried in the real world without having to endure illogical worries from others over including SGRA's. Just don't freaking select the same-gender [Flirt] option when it comes up - what's so difficult about that?

I know they have been saying "it is comping soon" since the release, so when is it coming?

Never. It's been "coming soon" since launch, and I've had enough of waiting for them to make good on it. Each time they release a new patch or xpack, it's clear that the interests and demands of LGBT gamers is quite literally at the bottom of their priority list.

I just wish they'd be honest and admit that they've got no intention of ever allowing us to have full SGRAs. At least that'd resolve the question once and for all. Instead, they pander, equivocate and temporize, all the while sucking that sweet sweet money out of our pockets.

I've had enough.

Edited by Highborne

Part of that might be because we're enforced with the idea of heterosexuality from about three (Disney, thanks)

Disney actually does learn. The parks are very GLBT friendly, there are several stories of boys being allowed to dress as princesses, and even their films get better. I just saw Frozen this weekend and was pleasantly surprised, I wont post spoilers but there are several plot elements that are rather progressive considering how I remembered the Disney classics from my own childhood.

Instead, they pander, equivocate and temporize, all the while sucking that sweet sweet money out of our pockets.

That would imply some action on their part. The only yellow post in months came from an unnamed drone and had zero information

Hi All,

It's an interesting question the OP raises, but considering the direction this thread was going, even if politely, we've decided to lock it.

Edited by Wittand

Disney actually does learn. The parks are very GLBT friendly, there are several stories of boys being allowed to dress as princesses, and even their films get better. I just saw Frozen this weekend and was pleasantly surprised, I wont post spoilers but there are several plot elements that are rather progressive considering how I remembered the Disney classics from my own childhood.

I was referring to the Disney films (and follow-up cartoons for some), rather than their parks and the company, which is really rather progressive compared to a lot of others. Not seen Frozen yet, because of a variety of reasons, including "women are hard to animate because they need to look pretty all the time, so that's why we scrapped every single female character from the original fairy tale and replaced them with men" excuse from the studio, but they then developed a programme to make unique snow flakes renders? (Not to mention the fact that it's more of the same white people, something that's been hashed out on various blogs and websites about representation in the media and etc.)

Also, we go that thread locked because we started talking about history (specifically, I called out the English education system for not teaching us enough about the British Empire during secondary school), not because the guy was asking "Would Quinn be weird about me kissing a dude?" and Bioware got all uppity. Hell - Bioware's fine with you going on massive tangents and talking about stuff that is barely relevant to the game, as long as you don't do it General Discussion. You know, where people are. They can only moderate one forum at a time, after all.

And, I keep trying to contact the Community Team, in order to spur them into giving us some information, or at least a friendly 'hello', but no. Nothing.