Why are their no macro's again?

Nikkalos

There is nothing wrong with macroes. For a sci fi type game some posters in this thread come across as Luddites.

Using macros is less about player crutch or lack of skill, and more about circumventing bad design.

If the Devs want each button press to be significant, then make each button worth pressing. Currently there are so many situational buttons its kind of silly.

Macroes clean up bad design more than they support lack of skill.

My shadow looks forward to some cascade macroes if I don't get a naga to do it first.

Except as presented by the OP it is exactly that! A crutch and lack of skill. The "bad design" excuse is a crap excuse too. There is nothing in the game design here that is making you NEED to string together macros just to play the game. It's just another piss poor excuse, and excuses are like ******es, everyone's got em and they all stink.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop being lazy.

Because it's not lazy to sit on your *** and play video games? Besides what gives you the right to tell people not be lazy, they are quite entitled to being lazy if they want to.

Macros are fine. Needed? no, helpful? yes. They don't effect anyone but the person using them so if you don't like them, don't use them. I like they make you focus on hotbars less and more on the game at hand. With the massive bloat of abilities adding more action bars just creates a UI clusterfart. They can either streamline things or give us the tools to do it ourselves.

Macros are fine. Needed? no, helpful? yes. They don't effect anyone but the person using them so if you don't like them, don't use them. I like they make you focus on hotbars less and more on the game at hand. With the massive bloat of abilities adding more action bars just creates a UI clusterfart. They can either streamline things or give us the tools to do it ourselves.

This is not true. Macros will improve players overall performance. Others in order to achieve the same level will have to use macros as well. Macros will stop being optional. This is obvious, stop suggesting they are optional.

Those are some really cool macros... But I think there's something about third party programs being against the rules... So however your using those macro's is probably against the rules. So I thank you for supporting macro's, but perhaps you shouldn't so openly admit to currently using them like that.

Not sure your understanding. I don't need third party software running in the game to use my macros. My G15 Logitech keyboard does all my Macros for me. Paired with my Naga razor mouse {of which there is a SWTOR version} and I have 66 keys to tie abilitys too. If you need third party software to Macro with you should not be playing.

Either it's an odd coincidence that almost every person arguing that macros are ok if not a good thing, citing "bad design" as an excuse to use them, and all are using the same near identical forum avatar with the Jawas; or someone is using multiple accounts to try and justify his using of macros because of sheer laziness and/or lack of skill. Edited by Hyfy

This is not true. Macros will improve players overall performance. Others in order to achieve the same level will have to use macros as well. Macros will stop being optional. This is obvious, stop suggesting they are optional.

People can achieve the same level of performance without them. Many here have already suggested such in their argument against them. Many games with them have plenty of people at the top that don't use them. Macros will not allow you to achieve a level of play unattainable by those who don't use them, it will just require more skill to do so. Therefore if you want to play the game with more skill, don't use them.

Either it's an odd coincidence that almost every person arguing that macros are ok if not a good thing, citing "bad design" as an excuse to use them, and all are using the same near identical forum avatar with the Jawas; or someone is using multiple accounts to try and justify his using of macros because of sheer laziness and/or lack of skill.

Everyone knows Jawas are troublemakers. :p

AND.. they travel in packs too. :p:p

Look at the date of those quotes, before the big staff purges.

And it goes both ways, things they had planned and said yes to, could well never see the light of day.

I highly doubt we will ever see this feature.

I know the date of the quotes, I was around at the time they were made. Time and staff purges don't mean they will never decide to do it. In the case of macros I don't believe it's a huge time and money sink but more of a game philosophy, and those are especially subject to change. I don't care if they ever put in macros or not, but like I said, I've already seen several cases of emphatic NOs given to features that were later implemented.

Macro's don't give you an advantage, their fair, they fix problems the game developers put in combat.
So combat macros don't give you a benefit? They don't make it so that you can do more things in combat than you'd be able to do with a keystrokes and a mouse? Obviously they would give you an advantage over non-macro users in PVP, Ops, etc. If they didn't, you wouldn't want them. They don't want macros in combat because then everyone would have to use macros or be at a disadvantage and they don't want a game where everyone is basically forced to use macros.

Well, I'm glad this thread is getting the attention it needs. But I have to be done with it for now... (curse work and sleep for interrupting my gamer life)

I'm not convinced the game should keep macro's out.

Some people like them, some don't. Some think they're for the skilled, some don't. But there's still no reason for them to be avoided. Simply stating that it's against your personal play style, should not hinder other players from having it.

As was said by yourself you per fur to play on your laptop, since there is hardware out there that can solve your issue. its more a personal problem than one for the game.

Therefore if you want to play the game with more skill, don't use them.

Skill or no skill, macros WILL improve your reaction time/ overall performance, period.

I am not arguing about me using or not using them. I am arguing that they stop being optional. Suggesting one may chose not to use them fails for mentioned reason.

Think that this game was not meant to have them and you will feel much better.

Edited by ELRunninW

Skill or no skill, macros WILL improve your reaction time/ overall performance, period.

I am not arguing about me using or not using them. I am arguing that they stop being optional. Suggesting one may chose not to use them fails for mentioned reason.

Think that this game was not meant to have them and you will feel much better.

No game that has had them has EVER had them as mandatory, EVER. Plenty of people get tops on the leader boards, tops dps meters, and overall win without them. all the time in games with macros. You can believe whatever you want, but the fact is they are ALWAYS optional.

Sorry... I don't understand... Macro's don't give you an advantage, their fair, they fix problems the game developers put in combat. Oh, and the most important part of all... THEY ARE OPTIONAL!!!

Me having macro's has nothing to do with another player who doesn't use them. So why should I not have them?

Here why combat macro are bad when i played wow i made a macro that basically turned a hunter into a 2 button spam marco. That macro could nuke some one in pvp before they could ever get there full rotation off because at the time the macro looked at what was on CD and did not cast it if i had a cool down up. IE why Blizzard changed how there combat macro worked at one point. So my macro was faster at a rotation then a manual button masher.

Then add that with how naga mouse which could spam those 2 button faster then humanly possible . Guess what happen to the people i shot they died it was not skill other then my ability to right a macro better then a key binder. This is why there are no combat macro people like me that can push a macro to the edge.

There you go this is the reason we have no macro system

Macro's don't give you an advantage

If they don't give you an advantage, then why do you want them so badly? And you've contradicted yourself many times in this thread by describing the advantage that macros give you over other players that don't or can't use them.

No game that has had them has EVER had them as mandatory, EVER. Plenty of people get tops on the leader boards, tops dps meters, and overall win without them. all the time in games with macros. You can believe whatever you want, but the fact is they are ALWAYS optional.

If they are OPTIONAL and "Plenty of people get tops on the leader boards, tops dps meters, and overall win without them", then we don't need them and you can "get tops on the leader boards, tops dps meters, and overall win without them". Unless, of course, you NEED them to be competitive, in which case they would cease to be optional. .

I'm glad we were able to clear that up.

If they are OPTIONAL and "Plenty of people get tops on the leader boards, tops dps meters, and overall win without them", then we don't need them and you can "get tops on the leader boards, tops dps meters, and overall win without them". Unless, of course, you NEED them to be competitive, in which case they would cease to be optional. .

I'm glad we were able to clear that up.

If you read my first post, you would see I said we don't need them, they are just nice to have. Kinda like your speeder, sure you can around with out it, but it is pretty nice to have. The game works fine, but that doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't ask for features we would like to make it more enjoyable.

If you read my first post, you would see I said we don't need them, they are just nice to have. Kinda like your speeder, sure you can around with out it, but it is pretty nice to have. The game works fine, but that doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't ask for features we would like to make it more enjoyable.

So lazy

It is quite funny how Macros users defend their stance saying the game's design is bad... It is really an issue of being lazy and not wanting to press several buttons. lol.

If you use macros and most of the players prefer a honest gaming experience that requires skill then that makes you a cheater and not a true gamer.

Analogy:

Fast food worker works at McDonalds 35 hours a week making 200 dollars a week. He is a hard worker using his "skills".

Stockbroker short sells stock making 1200 in less than an hour. He is "lazy".

Edited by illgot

Here is a example of why macros are a bad idea, and the unfair advantage they can give to certain classes or specs.

A sharpshooter gunslinger activates trickshot every time it procs, and it procs once other abilities in the rotation complete their cast/channel. But it cannot be activated before it procs, so the ability queue is useless with it, which means I am spamming my trickshot key as quickly as possible near the end of a cast that will proc it, to ensure it fires as soon as possible. At best, I can spam that key every 100ms-120ms. With macros, I could simply code the ability with the optimized delay amount and trickshot all with one keybind. The net result would be about 5% higher damage potential of macros over not using them. That's in the range of creating a class balance issue all by itself.

I don't think personal attacks on ones character are really needed or helpful here.

I'm just pointing out how macros are just tools to make the game even easier than it already is.

If you need macros to function in this game, you're terrible at it.

If you want macros, as opposed to 'needing' them, then you're not bad, you're just lazy.

So, pick your poison.

You can believe whatever you want, but the fact is they are ALWAYS optional.

Well, it actually works both ways. You can believe all you want but it will not make it true. You can also try to quote some fictional reports but it will not convince savvy customers. :D

Edited by ELRunninW

Most of my mmo time has been spent with games that had macro systems. It was a normal thing to do. On the same level of convenience and customization as changing settings, changing your UI, keybinding, etc. All this anti-macro talk is interesting. I haven't seen that often.