Why not try to help PUGs?

georgemattson

How to help pugs:

1. They need to watch videos of (good) players playing their class. To learn the basic rotation and mechanics.

2. They need to listen when someone tries to offer them advice. (Can't tell you how many times I try and explain to someone how to min/max and about their rotation, and they end up ignoring it how cursing at me for this)

3. They need to know how to coordinate in warzones. (This implies focus target and reading ops chat and responding)

A majority of this can be fixed on their own terms. But most pugs don't want to take the time to examine themselves and will just blame a loss because of a premade, the person was hacking, or they got no life. However, if pugs could just see themselves in a negative light, they could improve overall and make regular warzones better for everyone.

I am not sure what kind of world you living in, General_Aldo, seems to be the same world quite a few self-proclaimed experts on PvP on this board live in, but that world is a fantasy.

In the mean time, in the so-called real world, PUGs will be PUGs, will not watch any videos, will not min/max, will not pick FOTM, will not form organized groups, etc etc basically nothing from what you recommend. The problem is not PUGs will not follow such great and wise advices. If they were matched against other PUGs no PUG would need help. PUGs would have their fun, EA profits, and competitive PvPer a base to recruit from. But no .. L2P!

So keep repeating that people need to L2P while PvP in this game will vegetablize. After 2 years and you still have not got it.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I find it rather puzzling as well, but I've noticed it's extremely common, and in fact I'd say that the person who isn't affected by what other people say online is very much the exception to the rule. It takes a person with both a fairly strong ego (not necessarily egotistical; just self confident) and a decent amount of optimism that someone might be helpful to see all the bile being spewed forth in chat and speak up, knowing that he or she may just be inviting a heaping amount of abuse. Either that or (like me) someone very comfortable with using their iggy button. :)

I would specualte that most players don't fit into either category, and that's why very few people ask for help. On the flip side, though, I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of players willing to listen to help is much larger than is appreciated.

So basically, the part of the population that spews out unhelpful profanities and/or mental abuse could be the reason for the healthy population not wanting to "put them self out there"? I can understand that.

I suppose you are correct, it's very easy to only see the people that are telling you to shut up or whatever when the reality could be that one might actually be helpful to the others in team. But, there is a but. and that is the requirements of people reading chat. I think there is a general problem of people not reading chat. they are so far gone in the dps/hitting the right button game that they cant see the wall of text appearing. Thus making my effort of helping just sliding by their many kills/deaths "out in nowhere", not exactly pushing my drive of helping others in the right direction. People seem to forget that this is a team effort. Team coordination and communication is vital. I hope i am being negative and people realize this in the aftermath of a lost game but this is something that i see a lot. either that is the case, or i have to go back to the conception of people just ignoring whats being said and do their own thing. (which i really don't want to believe)

I have been playing a lot in the pre 55s of late, and i know this is less of a problem at end game. But we are talking about new players and it's here they are for the most part.

You know... what's funny is that I don't know you from Adam but I can pretty much guarantee you're probably a LOT better than me in PvP, so coming from the point of view of one of those people someone like you could potentially teach in that ten minute time period, I can tell you that some of us do listen. I didn't get better at winning warzones from reading the forums. I got better by listening to people telling me to stay on node, hit the ball carrier, attack the healer, etc. Heck, when I first started, I had no clue who the healers were, had no idea what the target markers meant, and the only thing I knew to do was go attack whoever had the lowest health bar on the other side.

I still suck with my rotation, can't play my class a tenth as well as the typical 12-year old player (I'm 46 and have the reflexes of a 96-year old man), but I do at least know how to play as a team member.

I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of other players like me out there.

Same here (except that i'm 37) \o/

Type i.e. "west inc" to chat then then press i.e. character sheet -icon. Now you can move around, but still have west inc typed ready. ^^

Just thought I'd point out you can hit enter to toggle into chat, type "Xw" then enter and continue on your way as well.

It's sometimes helpful for when I'm transitioning between nodes and don't want to stop to type (and can't manually toggle chat because I'm holding left and right click down). Especially for when you see the lone defender against two and the defender hadn't called yet.

Obviously use whatever is easier for you. I tried the preset calls but I still manage to fumble around with that. "inc west2e31r43tq"

Edited by Ridickilis

I had someone complaining about being 3 shotted, I looked at his gear and saw his expertise was 1715. So I said "what do you expect, your expertise is 1715". It would be nice if I could type out a nice long length explanation about why that is bad but we were in the middle of a wz. For the rest of the entire wz he just kept cursing me out.

Another time I noticed people mixing expertise crystals with PvE mods making their expertise around 1500 or less (probably mixed more I didn't really check). I wrote in the PvP chat (as nicely as i could) that you should not mix expertise or you would lose expertise, one guy responded saying "there are times when it is warranted". I responded saying it was never warranted since you will lose expertise 100% of the time and he just responded telling me I don't know how bolster works ... yeah I'm bolstered to full 2018 expertise 1700 melee damage close to 700 bonus damage and over 31k health (with only 3 low level blue augments), so I have no idea how it works at all. Anyway I responded that if the system sees even one point of expertise it will not bolster the expertise of that entire armor slot, but it seemed like he and others weren't even reading anymore.

Another time I saw someone with low expertise because of mixing and I whispered to him (very nicely) that he should not mix because he will lose expertise that way and he said "I know, I am going to get rid of them when I can"...

I could write many more (many involving augments) but when I finish typing, BW will have released 3 new expansion packs and my stories would be obsolete.

So here is the whole problem of "trying to help pugs", many of them don't listen. They think they are the strongest on the server because they beat a FP in hm and nothing you say will convince them otherwise, you will see them curse you out, put you on ignore, call you a n00b (get that one a lot), they mock you for any low numbers you got even though you were playing objective/guarding/healer who was targeted by 4 free dps because your team was god knows where, even make up a dumb rhyme about you on fleet before you see them say something like "seriously? ok thanks I didn't know, what should I do?".

I had someone complaining about being 3 shotted, I looked at his gear and saw his expertise was 1715. So I said "what do you expect, your expertise is 1715". It would be nice if I could type out a nice long length explanation about why that is bad but we were in the middle of a wz. For the rest of the entire wz he just kept cursing me out.

Another time I noticed people mixing expertise crystals with PvE mods making their expertise around 1500 or less (probably mixed more I didn't really check). I wrote in the PvP chat (as nicely as i could) that you should not mix expertise or you would lose expertise, one guy responded saying "there are times when it is warranted". I responded saying it was never warranted since you will lose expertise 100% of the time and he just responded telling me I don't know how bolster works ... yeah I'm bolstered to full 2018 expertise 1700 melee damage close to 700 bonus damage and over 31k health (with only 3 low level blue augments), so I have no idea how it works at all. Anyway I responded that if the system sees even one point of expertise it will not bolster the expertise of that entire armor slot, but it seemed like he and others weren't even reading anymore.

Another time I saw someone with low expertise because of mixing and I whispered to him (very nicely) that he should not mix because he will lose expertise that way and he said "I know, I am going to get rid of them when I can"...

I could write many more (many involving augments) but when I finish typing, BW will have released 3 new expansion packs and my stories would be obsolete.

So here is the whole problem of "trying to help pugs", many of them don't listen. They think they are the strongest on the server because they beat a FP in hm and nothing you say will convince them otherwise, you will see them curse you out, put you on ignore, call you a n00b (get that one a lot), they mock you for any low numbers you got even though you were playing objective/guarding/healer who was targeted by 4 free dps because your team was god knows where, even make up a dumb rhyme about you on fleet before you see them say something like "seriously? ok thanks I didn't know, what should I do?".

funny i have the exact opposite experience; every time i see someone with old pvp gear i tell them that it's bugged and they should get anything else, and every single time i got a sincere thank you, and sometimes something like "omg why did nobody tell me before"

It's a lot more difficult with actual strategy though, like yesterday, i was in a group repeatedly with a dude who actually tried to come up with a strategy for the group, only his hypergate strategy was horrible. Now i could just say in chat "no this strat sucks" or maybe "no don't split first round, wipe them mid get orbs hold 1 pylon", but the first one would just make him mad and make me look like a douche, and the second one would probably lead to some people listening to him and some to me and we would fail as well.

So i really didn't know what to do about this, maybe i should have whispered him after the hypergates, but then the game is over and i'm thinking of other things and so does he probably so the moment kinda passed, but i dunno.

I typically try to give direction if I dont see someone else taking lead. Sometimes you are successful in directing the group, sometimes not. But the worst is when you start out a wz, map out a strat and the only response you get is something so ignorant and not even an appropriate dig, like: Cool story bro... Like ***? Just find somewhere to gank if you want to pvp and not team play.

I just don't understand. With full conqueror I have 2018. How the heck 300 expertise is the difference between being rightfully 3 shotted and being ok ?

I think you're overestimating those exp points. With no tank guarding me and no def cooldown 2018 exp mean s*** and I can get nuked in 2 globals

i mainly q with pugs or a friend or 2 and do my best , have a char in every braket, when lead i try to give directions,

alot dont listen oh well you know how it will end again lol...

when they do and try it can be a pretty decent match, win or lose if players try im all in,

but when its hopeless from the start it can be pretty frustrating,

i still load next round, i still say call incs, kill the healer, left-mid or rrrrrrright inc !

get insulted when i say, no one came?

the problem is theres always several views of how to run the match,

i personally think unless the leader doesnt say anything people should go with that first.

he is lead for a reason hes in the top valor...

but ya pugs and authority, hard mix lol

it would help if more pugs at least tried to listen or follow a strat / plan.

when they do it can be really fun

I just don't understand. With full conqueror I have 2018. How the heck 300 expertise is the difference between being rightfully 3 shotted and being ok ?

I think you're overestimating those exp points. With no tank guarding me and no def cooldown 2018 exp mean s*** and I can get nuked in 2 globals

The only way you go from 100% to dead within 2 GCD is under focus from at least 2 players, likely more. In which case you are complaining that you cannot face-tank a 1v2+?

Even if you went into a WZ in full PvE gear, you will not be 3 shot by a single opponent. There is no class capable of outputting 30k damage in 3 GCD.

I am not sure what kind of world you living in, General_Aldo, seems to be the same world quite a few self-proclaimed experts on PvP on this board live in, but that world is a fantasy.

In the mean time, in the so-called real world, PUGs will be PUGs, will not watch any videos, will not min/max, will not pick FOTM, will not form organized groups, etc etc basically nothing from what you recommend. The problem is not PUGs will not follow such great and wise advices. If they were matched against other PUGs no PUG would need help. PUGs would have their fun, EA profits, and competitive PvPer a base to recruit from. But no .. L2P!

So keep repeating that people need to L2P while PvP in this game will vegetablize. After 2 years and you still have not got it.

But then bad pugs will complain about good pugs beating them

People who don't fully understand the game shouldn't have any say on what happens.

*Remember the 1.2 class "balancing?"

Stealth guys give me trouble, though, because regardless of what's going on, my #1 priority is always calling out incoming and that occasionally means I get attacked and am down 10-20% health before I'm back to fighting. And of course, I'm always paranoid about two stealth guys attacking at once. Given how successful that can be against a solo guard, I'm amazed everyone doesn't do that.

When guarding a node, I find it very helpful to type out the "INCOMING ___" message in chat before I'm actually in combat so that it's ready to go at the first sign of trouble. The second I get attacked or catch a glimpse of the stealther I'll just hit Enter so I can get busy defending/delaying the attack without spending precious seconds eating damage while I get the message out. I have found that this leads to much earlier calls which is critical when attacked by more than one stealther.

Being on a server where the common mentality is "go to a PvP server" in response to my ranting, there are really a few kinds of people. The most commonly complained about group that is consistently at war with the dedicated "try hards" are the people who will not benefit from the criticism: the egotistical casuals. Which as ironic as it sounds, are usually the bads who will not respond to outreach or attempts to help due to their casual attitude to competition AND outright negativity to being criticized.

These types immediately dissuade most PvPers, as they are unfortunately the most common. It's not a question of teaching "common sense"; it's more of teaching the unwilling. With these people you can't do much, as you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.

The other types are the silent observers, who watch and see how to improve their game without directly contacting a veteran. The other group of players, who seek out training and ask for the advice are really the only ones you can actually expect to learn. Which means that one group of silent people is hard to train, since you will have a better chance getting the egotistical casual than a silent observer if you try to directly reach out.

So in my honest opinion, the best way to train pugs is to flat out rant. Rage in the chat about how exactly someone messed up and detail the common no nos in WZs. The players who will never learn will fight and ignore you, same as they always have no matter what you do.

The others, thankful or not, will improve and learn. Just as long as you make sure that in the hate, anger, and crap that you're spewing, there is a diamond to pull from it. The players who seek knowledge learn to understand what is right and what is wrong, what is helpful and what is not. So hate away, the willing will sort your anger from the useful information.

So in my honest opinion, the best way to train pugs is to flat out rant. Rage in the chat about how exactly someone messed up and detail the common no nos in WZs. The players who will never learn will fight and ignore you, same as they always have no matter what you do.

This is also a great way to make sure there will be a steady stream of new "unwilling to learn"-players in the future. It takes a great deal of self-esteem and maturity to be able to completely put your feelings aside when someone's yelling at you and actually listen to that person. More likely, the player you are raging at will respond to your hatred with hatred towards you. And in that state of mind, he will not listen to you.

The only way you go from 100% to dead within 2 GCD is under focus from at least 2 players, likely more. In which case you are complaining that you cannot face-tank a 1v2+?

Complaining ? Not sure you missed my point on purpose or what....

According to tooltip

1718 expertise = 33,81 % damage reduction

2018 expertise = 37,50 % damage reduction

Basically, it's a 3.69% difference between the 2 situations. I think such difference matters very little when you're getting burst. So, the "of course you get 3 shotted with 1700 expertise" doesn't really cover it, imo

This is also a great way to make sure there will be a steady stream of new "unwilling to learn"-players in the future. It takes a great deal of self-esteem and maturity to be able to completely put your feelings aside when someone's yelling at you and actually listen to that person. More likely, the player you are raging at will respond to your hatred with hatred towards you. And in that state of mind, he will not listen to you.

I think it takes a sensible person who has control over thier own emotions to be able to take away information that is useful, no matter how potent it is. Whether or not they have positive feedback to you is irrelevant, as a sensible person will still improve despite harsh words in response or even outright hatred towards you. You would have to try very hard to discredit from merely words, and if a person is too reliant on an Internet stranger's hateful words to actually do their best to completely disregard them, then they fall into that egotistical category even more so.

That's a problem in competition; prepared to be eaten alive if you can't function in light of hateful words.

Secondly, this in regards to generalized ranting, where the use of specific names shouldn't be used unless it is more useful. Generalizations like that inspire hatred from people in a different way, where the usual response is "hey I did my part", which is fine if you don't try to expand on those snippets unless they truly didn't. But if you generalize your rants, you provide a criticism to a general audience and reach a larger pool of people, no matter how potent the rage is. Which if you want to see what happens, circle back up to the results and responses.

Complaining ? Not sure you missed my point on purpose or what....

According to tooltip

1718 expertise = 33,81 % damage reduction

2018 expertise = 37,50 % damage reduction

Basically, it's a 3.69% difference between the 2 situations. I think such difference matters very little when you're getting burst. So, the "of course you get 3 shotted with 1700 expertise" doesn't really cover it, imo

What is your point or purpose? That it's ok for him (and 3 others btw) for not being at 2018-which is ridiculously easy to do btw-because it doesn't help THAT much?

What is your point or purpose? That it's ok for him (and 3 others btw) for not being at 2018-which is ridiculously easy to do btw-because it doesn't help THAT much?

Because the difference between someone dying in three hits versus someone who needs to have 3 people focus specifically on them and can survive their opening gank isn't defined by the 3-4% from Expertise. Sure it helps, but like gear is supposed to be, it's a minor increase.

Basically put, I think his point is that if you die from being hit three times, it's not a gear issue unless your Expertise is down to 1300 from wearing old gear. The issue is survivability, and it takes skill to play a class that is inherently squishy and to be successful in DPS.

The best DPS in the game know that in most cases, what defines a good DPS player is by how many "shots" the "glass cannon" can fire before it "breaks" when it comes to pug WZs. If you can't get off hypothetically one shot, you need to work on your tactics and skill.

I would fully agree, but add another possibility. Personally (and I imagine I'm not alone), I tend to ignore anything that I see in all caps as I tend to equate ranting with a lack of skill and a desire to blame other player's for one's own shortcomings. Granted, I'm sure that's not the case in every instance, but I remember when I first started doing PvP, I would often see a person screaming to guard the node who wasn't guarding it himself, or yelling at people to go east when he wasn't, or focus the healer when I honestly couldn't tell if he was or not. Then too, I'd see the claims that everyone sucked from people who (at least as far as I could tell) weren't terribly good; when I looked at the scoreboard, they didn't seem to be doing overly well, at least, and I didn't know how to read the scoreboard back then.

There were a few exceptions, certainly; people who screamed for help on a node they were guarding or who were yelling at people to pass the ball when they were near the end zone, but that seemed to be far more the exception than the rule.

My feeling when I started was very much along the lines of being willing to follow someone who showed with his actions that he knew what he was doing, but to automatically discount the guy who just screams and yells because I often thought he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Also, given that kind of mentality, someone who's actually polite tends to a command a lot of attention, because that kind of communication is pretty rare and shows respect for me as a fellow player.

I would fully agree, but add another possibility. Personally (and I imagine I'm not alone), I tend to ignore anything that I see in all caps as I tend to equate ranting with a lack of skill and a desire to blame other player's for one's own shortcomings.

When I type all caps, it's because in all my button mashing, I turned on caps-lock accidentally. :D

Otherwise I agree with your post. There's a difference between "YOU IDIOT DON'T STAND ON THE LEDGE", and "watch who has the ball, remember maras and juggs can leap to you."

I would fully agree, but add another possibility. Personally (and I imagine I'm not alone), I tend to ignore anything that I see in all caps as I tend to equate ranting with a lack of skill and a desire to blame other player's for one's own shortcomings. Granted, I'm sure that's not the case in every instance, but I remember when I first started doing PvP, I would often see a person screaming to guard the node who wasn't guarding it himself, or yelling at people to go east when he wasn't, or focus the healer when I honestly couldn't tell if he was or not. Then too, I'd see the claims that everyone sucked from people who (at least as far as I could tell) weren't terribly good; when I looked at the scoreboard, they didn't seem to be doing overly well, at least, and I didn't know how to read the scoreboard back then.

There were a few exceptions, certainly; people who screamed for help on a node they were guarding or who were yelling at people to pass the ball when they were near the end zone, but that seemed to be far more the exception than the rule.

My feeling when I started was very much along the lines of being willing to follow someone who showed with his actions that he knew what he was doing, but to automatically discount the guy who just screams and yells because I often thought he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Also, given that kind of mentality, someone who's actually polite tends to a command a lot of attention, because that kind of communication is pretty rare and shows respect for me as a fellow player.

Well enjoy trying to lead people with that mentality. Don't know how the other servers are, but I know most people tend to ignore, discount, or even backlash others that show common courtesy and respect to players who don't actually deserve it. Even then, the people that do, become useless from it, often discounting anything that goes against their idols or heroes and literally become dependent on complete leadership and command to be effective.

On my server at least, 90% of the people need a good wake up call because the problem isn't a lack of role models but more of a concentrated mass of bads who think they are good. And in regards to the ranting pro argument, I'm referring to people who tend to incorporate useful information into their ranting, such as bashing people for standing directly on top of the node in Hypergate and berate them for not having the common sense to stand off in the distance a little to prevent stealthies CCing and capping them immediately. Had a nice whine match up, where I was able to vent a lot of frustration for a guy not listening to my original "Please stand 30 meters away from the node" command at the start of the match. But the best part is that, despite his clear anger and overall disdain to follow my command, he ended up standing a few feet away from the node because even though he hated the manner I presented it in, he understood it was useful.

Tactics and overall strategies, where I give out information in regards to successfully playing a ranged DPS, healer classes, and learning how to focus fire are all incorporated in the rantings I do, rather than just continuously spitting out "you all suck". It benefits no one if you continuously spew that with just those three words, but people who are looking to learn will pick up on "you all suck because......", whether or not they praise and respect you for it. If the game needed more people to lead sheep, then we wouldn't have low quality pugs and this mentality that it is normal to be terrible.

So inspire the respect of others, and get them to listen to your commands. You're only adding to the problem, creating more sheep like players who will become dependent on the respectable to command them, rather than learning to think for themselves.

Well enjoy trying to lead people with that mentality. Don't know how the other servers are, but I know most people tend to ignore, discount, or even backlash others that show common courtesy and respect to players who don't actually deserve it. Even then, the people that do, become useless from it, often discounting anything that goes against their idols or heroes and literally become dependent on complete leadership and command to be effective.

On my server at least, 90% of the people need a good wake up call because the problem isn't a lack of role models but more of a concentrated mass of bads who think they are good. And in regards to the ranting pro argument, I'm referring to people who tend to incorporate useful information into their ranting, such as bashing people for standing directly on top of the node in Hypergate and berate them for not having the common sense to stand off in the distance a little to prevent stealthies CCing and capping them immediately. Had a nice whine match up, where I was able to vent a lot of frustration for a guy not listening to my original "Please stand 30 meters away from the node" command at the start of the match. But the best part is that, despite his clear anger and overall disdain to follow my command, he ended up standing a few feet away from the node because even though he hated the manner I presented it in, he understood it was useful.

Tactics and overall strategies, where I give out information in regards to successfully playing a ranged DPS, healer classes, and learning how to focus fire are all incorporated in the rantings I do, rather than just continuously spitting out "you all suck". It benefits no one if you continuously spew that with just those three words, but people who are looking to learn will pick up on "you all suck because......", whether or not they praise and respect you for it. If the game needed more people to lead sheep, then we wouldn't have low quality pugs and this mentality that it is normal to be terrible.

So inspire the respect of others, and get them to listen to your commands. You're only adding to the problem, creating more sheep like players who will become dependent on the respectable to command them, rather than learning to think for themselves.

You do realize that this isn't Marine Corps boot camp, right? Perhaps the approach you describe works for you. Quite honestly, I can't speak to whether it works for the PvP community as a whole. What I can say, though, is that I have no use for this kind of approach and while there is a slight chance I might see someone yelling in chat and actually read what they're saying, it's more likely I'm going to spend 1/4 second looking at it, not enough to read it, and instantly assume it's someone with significant emotional issues venting his personal inadequacies in an anonymous forum. I will then go back to the match.

I will admit that such a case would likely be unfair in your instance if you're the one doing the venting (not trying to be sarcastic here; you have said you try to be helpful in this way, and I imagine you likely would have things to say that would be useful), but in the heat of a WZ match, I likely wouldn't read it.

I would also say that I have no desire whatsoever to "lead" anyone. Been there, done that, have no desire to do it again. My real life situation has me dealing with levels of stress that I have no desire to duplicate in a gaming environment. Instead, I prefer to help, politely, and if you think that means I'm making the gaming environment "worse," I'd question how you judge that. If I help to make the environment just slightly more polite and people a little less stressed out and angry at each other, I consider that a success, and I would very gladly sacrifice any amount of expertise in a game, PvP or otherwise, to achieve that.

Sooo... You think making people angry, sad and hurt is what makes this game better? And being polite and nice to each other creates problems?

Sorry, I just can't understand you. At all. Don't you care about other people's feelings? If the person you are raging at has a very shy personality, he/she isn't doing what you (loudly) told him to do because he knows it makes sense. He's doing it because he's afraid you'll yell at him even more.

Tbh, I feel tempted to stop trying to win the warzone every time someone starts raging at others (like you apparently do) for the simple reason that if we win that warzone, the person raging will think raging works, and keep raging at the next warzone. And the next. And the next. And I can't ignore him/her, because he might post vital information to the chat (i.e. incs) and I don't want to miss it.