'No active subscription' error

StephenReid

Are you talking about the (if Available) that means if Paid Game Cards are available. I'm not sure how you can say I'm dead wrong about something that's at the top of the page here though and everyone is complaining about.

If you've never been asked for this information until the 30 days are upon you you must never have played WoW, or gotten free trials for netflix, or blockbuster or pretty much any other subscription based internet product.

I played WoW. I don't know if they changed, but when I began my game time with them, they didn't require the credit card info unless you chose to make continued subscription payments via credit card. For example, you buy the game, it comes with a free month, and to re-up after 30 days you would THEN need to enter a game card or credit card info.

I agree, if the box says free with game purchase, it should be free with game purchase. Or change the box to *accurately* reflect that they mean one month free with at least one month purchased game time.

It IS, in this case, false advertisement by definition. Regardless of who is doing it, if your advertisement is not clarified by any existing small print or disclaimer, then you should be held to the literal expression on the packaging.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played WoW. I don't know if they changed, but when I began my game time with them, they didn't require the credit card info unless you chose to make continued subscription payments via credit card. For example, you buy the game, it comes with a free month, and to re-up after 30 days you would THEN need to enter a game card or credit card info.

I agree, if the box says free with game purchase, it should be free with game purchase. Or change the box to *accurately* reflect that they mean one month free with at least one month purchased game time.

It IS, in this case, false advertisement by definition. Regardless of who is doing it, if your advertisement is not clarified by any existing small print or disclaimer, then you should be held to the literal expression on the packaging.

I think you're misremembering, I started in BC and it was the same way, they definitely require it now. At any rate I think you all need to go read your boxes carefully because it definitely says that you need a valid credit card or game time card to play. There's no false advertising.

and Paid Subscription Required to play game...

Read your own words here dude, and without the Bioware colored glasses on.

Everyone buying the game PAID for a 30 day subscription which is INCLUDED in the base purchase price of the package.

Even the fine print is different enough from the Netflix verbage you cited in other post to not be a relevant comparison. They tell you up front you are going to enter your payment info so they can bill you at the end of the "trial" period. Note that they specifically refer to it as a "trial" period with an explicit roll over to paid unless you cancel.

You seem to be the only person defending Bioware's approach to this. One has to wonder why you are so passionate about their defense.

You must have a very different box than I do I've posted several times what mine says and it clearly says you must have a Valid Credit card or paid game card to play.

EDIT: If you'd read the thread you would have seen this post earlier

Yes. It is TRUE. That statement is made and clearly so. To play the game on a CONTINUING basis you will have to pay ongoing fees. That is the point of those words. Not, as you have applied it, to mean you have to pay in order to get your FREE time.

First off i was fully intending to subscribe to the game, but the handling of subscriptions was a dick move. for people paying online subscription its not too big of a deal. my main concern is the implications for people buying game time cards. what of people who were going to buy game time codes from brick and morter stores, why the hell should they be forced to buy next months time while there is still time on this month? will this be the case every month so that whenever you do decide to stop playing you have to just figure that last month you paid for is inaccessable?

just generally shocked that billing was handled in this way. really does make me want to cancel my account already just out of spite. not any way of starting customer relations if you hope to get years of loyalty out of people playing the game.

Going by the fine print at the bottom of my Product Registration Code pamphlet, it says this:

"The First 30 days of subscription fees are included in the purchase price of the product".

So, I've purchased free play time already according to Bioware. Yet, I'm required to give out more info than specified by their own legal fine print.

So what's the point of Fine Print if not to include some devious redirection from the message sent to consumers?

It's funny that as a consumer, I'm expected to respect the EULA. Yet, why is it when Bioware's part enters into the agreement, they aren't required to fulfill their end of what was agreed to? It seems misleading to me. I'm sure I'm technically wrong, as they do have many lawyers surely, but the face value of it speaks for itself.

Edited by Reztastic

"It is a standard business practice" does not justify anything. Requiring a subscription when I have free game time is a very shady practice and I am very disappointed in Bioware because of this, though I am enjoying the game immensely.

I have canceled my subscription, and I encourage everyone else to do so. Go to "My Account"->"Subscriptions" and click on "Cancel Subscription".

I will resubscribe when my game time expires, it will take a minute, but it will be on my own terms.

This is the silliest complaint I have ever heard of. Apparently TOR brought in a lot of new people to internet subscription services, because I've always been required to have valid payment info before receiving free time.

You don't get charged until after your free time is expired - THEY AREN'T ROBBING YOU.

Thirty days free game time included with purchase and a valid subscription, you never have to pay more if you don't choose to, there are enough other options for a subscription and you can cancel anytime you choose. I expected the standard complaints and trolling for a new game but this is absolutely ridiculous.

This is the silliest complaint I have ever heard of. Apparently TOR brought in a lot of new people to internet subscription services, because I've always been required to have valid payment info before receiving free time.

You don't get charged until after your free time is expired - THEY AREN'T ROBBING YOU.

Thirty days free game time included with purchase and a valid subscription, you never have to pay more if you don't choose to, there are enough other options for a subscription and you can cancel anytime you choose. I expected the standard complaints and trolling for a new game but this is absolutely ridiculous.

"The First 30 days of subscription fees are included in the purchase price of the product".

How is any of this free?

So, I was planning to gift TOR to a family member for Christmas. Now, I've got a new decision. I figured I'd let them play the 30 days and if they like it they would then continue paying. If they didn't, their access is cut off at 30 days, no problems there. I would have certainly expected reminder emails to be sent telling them if they didn't do something their subscription would expire.

Obviously that's not a decision I have available, though I thought I did. The game is a retail version, still packaged in retail packaging and is unopened. So, do I return the game and perhaps pick up something else, or do I hunt down a game card so they can actually play the game I planned to gift, or do I just tell them to pay up for a Christmas gift... No, I can't do the last. I'm either returning this one and getting them something else or I'm going to find a card. Probably whichever is easier.

How wide spread are the game cards? Can I pick one up at a Fred Meyer?

Edited by fakerepublican

It's not ,the first month game time is included in the price you paid for the game...the required subscription method of payment is because this is a subscription based game.

Just going ahead and repasting that so you can reread it until you comprehend it.

This forced subscription practice has really annoyed me; why the Hell include a 30 day trial in a game if you are going to force me to sign up 3 days into the trial? This is NOT how things are done on WoW/LotR/Age of Conan/WarHammer/Star Trek Online... (Maybe on FF XIV online- but they charge per active character as well)

Why not sell the game for $30 - $40 with no trial time and then force everyone to sign up if they want to play?

I just signed up for a subscription and then immediately canceled- just so I can resume my trial... *** did I ever need to do that?

This silly move to get the 'subscriber numbers' up has really changed my perception of the game; I am now really questioning if I really want to subscribe once the trial is over.

I know some of my Guildies can't even afford a game card, since it IS the holidays.

This was truly a *cough* terrible (I was going to use another more accurate word here, but I'd get banned. lol) move.

I was going to do a 180 day plan, but now I just subbed a 30 day as a "wait and see".

Just wondering what they are going to pull next.

Love the game, hate the decisions on how to treat customers.

Ryan I am sure a man of 30 years old can find a bank in tacoma to give you a debit or credit card.

EA did nothing wrong here

as i said, not a problem for me, just thinking of the people out there that dont like putting their card numbers on the internet and prefer to buy game time cards at brick and mortar stores. wonder how this is affecting them.

p.s. you sound a little bit like a stalker spounting rl info...

I did as many have ... subscribed and then immediately canceled. I'll play for my free 30 days but if they do not have the queue issues fixed by then, I don't want them to automatically start charging my credit card (because I would probably for get to cancel then)! If the queues are fixed by then, great ... if not, bye...

So, I was planning to gift TOR to a family member for Christmas. Now, I've got a new decision. I figured I'd let them play the 30 days and if they like it they would then continue paying. If they didn't, their access is cut off at 30 days, no problems there. I would have certainly expected reminder emails to be sent telling them if they didn't do something their subscription would expire.

Obviously that's not a decision I have available, though I thought I did. The game is a retail version, still packaged in retail packaging and is unopened. So, do I return the game and perhaps pick up something else, or do I hunt down a game card so they can actually play the game I planned to gift, or do I just tell them to pay up for a Christmas gift... No, I can't do the last. I'm either returning this one and getting them something else or I'm going to find a card. Probably whichever is easier.

How wide spread are the game cards? Can I pick one up at a Fred Meyer?

Ok, I understand that people FEEL as if they have to commit themselves, or are forced to pay more, or the 30 days is not free.

It is.

You put in your credit card number, it flags you as everything completed, and the next moment you can cancel the subscription.

Your credit card number will be on file, it won't be charged, and you have your 30 days free.

I have been running around all day trying to get this game to work.

1) My problem- I pre-ordered and played and redeemed my 60 day pass before the servers went down and then I had no access event to the forum.

2) Solution- I re-entered in my product information, my deluxe edition code in the redeem product code. NOT THE MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION! and now I can play again :-) if this helps you just send a quick message saying it worked I hope I help some people :D

NOTE: I also re-purchased another 60 day pass and entered the code and had no success gaining entry... so I hope I have 4 months of game time now -.-

Are you talking about the (if Available) that means if Paid Game Cards are available. I'm not sure how you can say I'm dead wrong about something that's at the top of the page here though and everyone is complaining about.

If you've never been asked for this information until the 30 days are upon you you must never have played WoW, or gotten free trials for netflix, or blockbuster or pretty much any other subscription based internet product.

Wo, wo, wo wait up. You are DEAD WRONG... the difference between this and a free trial is that it isn't a free trial... WE PAID FOR IT.

Last time I checked, living in the real world requires having some sort of payment options besides cash. This is an MMO with an expectation that you PAY every month to play. They made it VERY clear and VERY easy to setup your payment options so you can continue playing without interuption. You truly have to be living under a rock to be "shocked" that some sort of payment was required. If you didn't even plan on playing for more than a month you prob shouldn't have bought the game.

Grow up a bit and put on your big boy pants....

Wow... I don't think you can just belittle someone who bought a game and may decide it's not for them a month later... you are ignorant and really should keep your mouth shut.