'No active subscription' error

StephenReid

I ended up putting in my credit card, but frankly I'm still angry about the whole thing.

For those who got this as a gift, and intended to play with time cards, the "30 days subscription included with purchase" (right on the box!) was an absolute lie. Imagine those people getting up and wanting to play, then having to essentially buy a subscription to be able to play their own Xmas gift. Yes, it says "valid credit card OR game time card required to play" as well, but this is immediately followed with "30 day SUBSCRIPTION included with purchase" (caps mine). So it's false advertising and definitely a shady business practice.

The bottom line, for all these people saying "that 30 days was FREE time!" or "every company who runs an MMO does this!", you're absolutely wrong on both counts. When you buy a game with 30 days, it's not "free" - it's part of your purchase, and most MMO companies include the 30 days because people wouldn't buy the game without it. Furthermore, I have played MANY different MMOs, and WoW was the only one I ever gave my credit card. Even then, it was never required even in vanilla WoW.

The ONLY reason that EA / Bioware is engaging in this "bait and switch" false advertising is because their corporate office wants to be able to brag about how many full subscriptions they have at launch. But people don't like to be tricked, memories are long, and you can only make one first impression.

Was I planning to subscribe? Yes, but that doesn't make this practice right. I wanted to be sure that I actually did get my "30 day subscription included with purchase" (again, it was right on the box). And if anyone feels like trolling me for saying this, you're defending them for all the wrong reasons: shame on EA / Bioware, and shame on you if you're trying to defend them.

Edited by Imizael

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contrary to what your post says, Reid, this is the VERY FIRST MMO where I've had to enter payment info OF ANY KIND before the free month that was included in the game was up.

Bullcrap.

Have you actually played any other MMO's?

WoW does this (at least they did through vanilla, BC, WotLK), RIFT does it, LOTRO did it before they went ftp, , STO did it before they went ftp, Champions Online did it before they went ftp, EQ and EQ2, Ultima Online.

Eventually a lot of these games went free to play or released limited access demos, but for the full version you always had to provide subscription details up front.

It's simple.

Although they won't actually deliver the millions, where as EA will actually deliver the goods. The fact is, they're hooking people first with pre-orders, knowing there's no box available for anybody to read (setting the trap), then once you're committed they throw the curve-ball, requiring an additional up-front investment to receive what they promised you (springing the trap).

Go to amazon.com and do a search for the game - You can look at a picture of the box and it is very legible (and it's been there since July 21). If your vendor made this information unavailable, you should take it up with them.

Have you actually played any other MMO's?

WoW does this (at least they did through vanilla, BC, WotLK), RIFT does it, LOTRO did it before they went ftp, , STO did it before they went ftp, Champions Online did it before they went ftp, EQ and EQ2, Ultima Online.

Eventually a lot of these games went free to play or released limited access demos, but for the full version you always had to provide subscription details up front.

Where are you from? For the last 3 years (since WoTLK I believe) I did not need any credit card or time codes to play WoW. After purchasing cd-key you get to play your free month anyways, regardless whether you do or you do not have reoccurring subscription. And after their expiry (or prior to them) I just bought time code. That's because Blizzard actually cares about its reputation and they want this game to be available for as many players, as possible. They don't have any hidden tricks like (30 days subscription included) on the game box.

Eve online - same thing. Rift - same thing. After you purchase your cd-key, you already prove you can pay for game. And whether or not you would subscribe to a game or enter a time -code - it's all up to you. But anyways under any circumstances YOU ALWAYS get your month free of charge in these games.

Apparenty, that might be because these companies have their own manner of conducting business with customer, which differs from obvious cow milking, isn't that?

Edited by Seansoule

Where are you from? For the last 3 years (since WoTLK I believe) I did not need any credit card or time codes to play WoW. After purchasing cd-key you get to play your free month anyways, regardless whether you do or you do not have reoccurring subscription. And after their expiry (or prior to them) I just bought time code. That's because Blizzard actually cares about its reputation and they want this game to be available for as many players, as possible. They don't have any hidden tricks like (30 days subscription included) on the game box.

Eve online - same thing. Rift - same thing. After you purchase your cd-key, you already prove you can pay for game. And whether or not you would subscribe to a game or enter a time -code - it's all up to you. But anyways under any circumstances YOU ALWAYS get your month free of charge in these games.

Apparenty, that might be because these companies have their own manner of conducting business with customer, which differs from obvious cow milking, isn't that?

You are correct, and it wasn't required in vanilla WoW, either.

This thread has a couple corporate shills that are trolling people who have valid complaints, IMO.

Edited by Imizael

And guess what happens if I actually subscribed monthly vua my Mastercard, and 3 days before my so called free (:D) 30 days expire I cancel my subscription so my CC won't get charged? That's right, I won't be able to play, since I do not have a reoccurring subscription and I did not yet purchase a time code. I understand this whole thing is done in order so I would HAVE to be charged whether or not I am sure I will wanna play it tomorrow.

That's a great business to conduct business, heh?

Yes, it was. I was a launch day WoW player and I certainly had to put my credit card in on day 1.

In fact, you can still see it right here on the old wow-europe subscription site:

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/requirements/subscription.html

"Every player buying a World of Warcraft game box get a free one-month subscription period. This free month begin right after you have complete the account creation with an electronic method of payment (like a valid credit card, which won't be billed during the free month) or a prepaid game card."

Edited by Heliotic

And guess what happens if I actually subscribed monthly vua my Mastercard, and 3 days before my so called free (:D) 30 days expire I cancel my subscription so my CC won't get charged? That's right, I won't be able to play, since I do not have a reoccurring subscription and I did not yet purchase a time code. I understand this whole thing is done in order so I would HAVE to be charged whether or not I am sure I will wanna play it tomorrow.

That's a great business to conduct business, heh?

People in this thread have already pointed out that you can subscribe and cancel immediately and still get your thirty days. Have you even tried?

Yes, it was. I was a launch day WoW player and I certainly had to put my credit card in on day 1.

In fact, you can still see it right here on the old wow-europe subscription site:

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/requirements/subscription.html

"Every player buying a World of Warcraft game box get a free one-month subscription period. This free month begin right after you have complete the account creation with an electronic method of payment (like a valid credit card, which won't be billed during the free month) or a prepaid game card."

Hello, corporate shill. What's true for parts of Europe isn't true for other parts of the world.

I played vanilla WoW also, and many other MMOs, and not one of them required it.

Hello, corporate shill. What's true for parts of Europe isn't true for other parts of the world.

I played vanilla WoW also, and many other MMOs, and not one of them required it.

I gave you a list. They all did.

And it was true for US wow, unless you have proof it wasn't?

Edited by Heliotic

People in this thread have already pointed out that you can subscribe and cancel immediately and still get your thirty days. Have you even tried?

Wait a minute, there is no logic in it. Since I cancel immediately after registering my CC - there won't be any subscription active. And from what I remember - the launcher says: you don't have active subscription to play the game. Where is the logic? Why would I wanna put my CC under this circumstances? So Bioware verifies I am able to pay monthly subscription? Doesn't the fact that I am able to afford a 60 euro (75 USD) DVD box with legit cd-key (unplayable without time card or CC sunscription :eek:) already prove that? Than why would I need to put my CC in? What if for some reasons I don't want my Mastercard payment history to display I am paying for a video game? This is all complete nonsense. Don't know intentions, but I can say for sure that someone (if not the whole marketing dept.) needs some logic in the first place.

I gave you a list. They all did.

And it was true for US wow, unless you have proof it wasn't?

Really, I don't think that the payment policy of US Blizard dept. would differ from European. Blizard for the last 7 years, including their marketing, payment, Customer Support departments - they all proved to be logical and consistent, both US and European ones. Whereas I can not yet say that about your Department, corporal. ;)

Wait a minute, there is no logic in it. Since I cancel immediately after registering my CC - there won't be any subscription active. And from what I remember - the launcher says: you don't have active subscription to play the game. Where is the logic? Why would I wanna put my CC under this circumstances? So Bioware verifies I am able to pay monthly subscription? Doesn't the fact that I am able to afford a 60 euro (75 USD) DVD box with legit cd-key (unplayable without time card or CC sunscription :eek:) already prove that? Than why would I need to put my CC in? What if for some reasons I don't want my Mastercard payment history to display I am paying for a video game? This is all complete nonsense. Don't know intentions, but I can say for sure that someone (if not the whole marketing dept.) needs some logic in the first place.

I agree it's pointless. My thoughts on it are:

1. Every MMO has done it.

2. It's easy to get around if you are so inclined.

My only stake in this game is making sure everyone knows the correct facts.

Edited by Heliotic

Really, I don't think that the payment policy of US Blizard dept. would differ from European. Blizard for the last 7 years, including their marketing, payment, Customer Support departments - they all proved to be logical and consistent, both US and European ones. Whereas I can not yet say that about your Department, corporal. ;)

I agree completely. The WOW US and WOW EU processes were identical, which is why my link to the WOW EU site regarding subscription policies should be pretty compelling reading :)

I agree it's pointless. My thoughts on it are:

1. Every MMO has done it.

2. It's easy to get around if you are so inclined.

My only stake in this game is making sure everyone knows the correct facts.

And the second point only proves that Bioware at the moment is not customer oriented - since in most cases this obligatory CC registration gives convenience to them, but not to the customers.

As for the first point - don't you think that in order to survive in the competitive MMO market, the company needs not implement old methods, which for some good reason (albeit, inconveniences for customers, etc.) have already been proved obsolete by all the major players in the market (Blizz, NCsoft, SOE)?

It seems to me that marketing department of Bioware needs some logical thinking and research. Good thing at less game developers at Bioware are smart and talented, so they delivered a very good product.

It seems to me that marketing department of Bioware needs some logical thinking and research. Good thing at less game developers at Bioware are smart and talented, so they delivered a very good product.

I agree completely. In fact, I think that MMO's as a genre have a long way to go in customer service/satisfaction.

PS: THere aren't a lot of departments running anything at 2:05AM on boxing day, sorry to say :)

Edited by Heliotic

PS: THere aren't a lot of departments running anything at 2:05AM on boxing day, sorry to say :)

Yes, I understand you. And I have no problems personally with any of CS, sales or whatever other departments. But you can try walking in my shoes. It is all issue to be addressed to so called general management of EA/BW/Origin.

Firstly I had a problem buying the game, since for some unknown reason BW/EA/Origin have banned my country (Belarus, Eastern Europe) from purchasing it, whereas neighboring countries (Poland, Russia) are pretty much eligible. Right now I understand that was a divine sign so that I should not under any circumstances deal with EA/Bioware/Origin etc. But at that time I didn't know what future beholds, so I asked my friend from other, more lucky country, to purchase the game for me. Was helowa problem, really, took me more than day, but somehow I resolved it, activated game code, and started to play.

And guess what? I was already considering purchase of the time code for 2 months, since the game is very good. But, on December 22nd, after week of early play period, I get notified by the launcher that I can't play something I paid for, since I don't have a reoccurring subscription, and I need either a time code or a CC so I could play the game I already paid for (and paid quite a good money). But on the other hand, the digital purchase page (http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/ru_RU/html/pbPage.SWTOR_RU/#pre-order-instructions) NEVER MENTIONED anything related to obligatory CC registration or game time code (you can use google translate to see the contents of this fraudulent offer in English). And the FAQ at the moment of game pre-order didn't mention CC either.

And that's when I started to realize that I just got owned threeways (sideways included) by EA/BW/Origin. All it said in the store page - buy, register key, download game and play. Literally!

I somehow managed to add subscription, but there's no way I will use it for longer than this month.

So what I gotta do now? Buy game code? Hell, no way I am gonna make it, and than in a week or two I figure out I got owned by you guys again. After what happened, I don't trust a single word of yours.

Like they say in Texas: Double cross me once- shame on you. Double cross me twice - it's a shame on me.

I will just play this month occasionally (but never again with such a joy), and than when subscription is over - forget about it. Would rather pay Blizzard to entertain me- at less they don't treat customers like idiots and they don't intentionally misguide them, like you do on your official store page.

And they don't divide us into good/bad countries, like maybe my money stinks since I am from Belarus.

And once again - thank you for ruining my experience with this game.

Edited by Seansoule

This thread has a couple corporate shills that are trolling people who have valid complaints, IMO.

No your lying. I had 5 WoW accounts... and every one of them needed a CC before you could play.

This was prior to Blizzard opening the doors and giving away the game on trial editions. Since Trials have started you do not need a CC cause of the trials.

UO, EQ, AC, DAOC, Rift, LOTRO, Lineage II, CoH, FF XI.... every game I have ever sub'ed to did this at release up until they went free or offered trials.

No your lying. I had 5 WoW accounts... and every one of them needed a CC before you could play.

This was prior to Blizzard opening the doors and giving away the game on trial editions. Since Trials have started you do not need a CC cause of the trials.

UO, EQ, AC, DAOC, Rift, LOTRO, Lineage II, CoH, FF XI.... every game I have ever sub'ed to did this at release up until they went free or offered trials.

I dunno about vanilla WoW, which went trial real long time ago, as well as about L2 (since never liked it). But all the new games coming out at less 4 years ago did not need any CC sub or time code after you activated key so you could play promissed 30 days free. I know, cause I played AoC, Rift, LOTRO, EVE online from the very first launch day. Please, do some research before misguiding other people.

P.S. You make BW quite a credit since you think SW TOR is as innovative, revolutionary and awesome game, as was vanilla WoW at its release.;)

Edited by Seansoule

I dunno about vanilla WoW, which went trial real long time ago, as well as about L2 (since never liked it). But all the new games coming out at less 4 years ago did not need any CC sub or time code after you activated key so you could play promissed 30 days free. I know, cause I played AoC, Rift, LOTRO, EVE online from the very first launch day. Please, do some research before misguiding other people.

P.S. You make BW quite a credit since you think SW TOR is as innovative, revolutionary and awesome game, as was vanilla WoW at its release.;)

He's probably another corporate shill, or worse just a garden variety troll. When he claimed that I'm lying, and yet you and I and others know the truth, it's clear that he's just muddying the waters.

Well, thanks for killing off 10 days of my paid-for 30 days, Electronic Arts.

I received SWTOR as a gift, and started playing early access, and finally relented on (temporarily) supplying my card so I could even post here. I could log in and read, but only people with payment plans get to speak, apparently.

But today I got a reminder email about not "completing" the steps EA is requiring to play, which led to the post that contains:

"We appreciate that Star Wars: The Old Republic may be your first experience with a subscription based MMO. Adding a valid payment method to continue to play is standard practice for subscription based MMOs, and this requirement is mentioned on our retail packaging, as well as in our official FAQs. We apologize if you were surprised by the requirement, and for any interruption to your gameplay."

Which aside from not being entirely true (the subscription requirement is stated for being able to continue to play the game but it also states the first 30 days is already paid for) to unverifiable ("standard practice")... it's not a valid argument.

To excerpt something John Hodgman said;

It is not an argument an adult makes. It’s the actual argument that TEENAGERS make at prestigious high schools where cheating is rampant: everyone was doing it, and no teacher was stopping them. So they WERE FORCED to cheat in order to be competitive.

It is, as a matter of fact, a case of Everyone Else Is Doing It, and that's not even true.

This is not a policy that in any way benefits customers. It exists solely to coerce as many people who have already paid as possible into entering a subscription or worse, buying more prepaid time. This is only for the benefit of EA/Origin so they can make the claims they have made about being the "fastest growing MMO ever" and attempt to generate more hype.

I suspect, however, that they don't realize it will also lead to SWTOR being one of the fastest shrinking MMOs in history once that initial 30 days runs out, much less the next two months or so.

I hope EA enjoys it while it lasts. Customers don't forget how companies have treated them in the past. BioWare seems like an OK bunch, but their falling in with the bad crowd that is EA already makes me want to jump ship, even with the game as a gift.

Edited by Darth_Nikon

BioWare has always been extreme about copy protection and it seems, also about luring people to pay extra to play sw:tor. Due to their copy protection system, I refuse to buy any more single player games from BioWare, and well, SW:TOR is also the last MMO I will buy from them. Kind of stupid of them to alienate customers this way.

Okay. I purchased my copy of the game today at around 12:00 PM. The game box clearly states "Valid credit card or paid game card (if available). Internet connection and paid subscription required to play game. 30-day subscription included with purchase." Luckily I bought a 60-day game card when I purchased the game, so it's not a huge deal for me.

So basically, you have to activate your subscription using a credit card, or by entering in your Game Card number. Once that happens you will be able to log in and play the game, and once the 30 day trial period runs out (I'm guessing this part) you will automatically get billed for the month (if using a credit card), or the Game Card will be added to your subscription and you'll have the amount of time that you payed for.

The game box clearly states "Valid credit card or paid game card (if available)."

That's not a sentence, so I'm not sure it actually states anything. Then again, I was given digital so I'm one of the people who never even saw a box.

"Internet connection and paid subscription required to play game. 30-day subscription included with purchase."

And those two sentences say right there that 30 days of the paid subscription required is included with the purchase.

It doesn't help that I was gifted a pre-order early access... and no mention at all was made of the arbitrary early entry of payment requirement until after nearly a week of early access without it. It just makes it look like EA didn't have the numbers they wanted yet and coerced the signups at the first patch date they could, the 22nd, two days after launch.

At BEST this is an ambiguous little clause hidden in the fine print and not stated plainly; but it looks worse in that it only serves EA in an effort to inflate launch subscription numbers and initial profits from those forced to buy prepaid cards earlier than expected or those that don't shut down access to their cards quickly enough.

And EA being desperate for numbers makes perfect sense. SWTOR could be be twice the game WoW is and people still won't switch to it if their friends aren't there. People want to be where their friends are. See also: why Google+ hasn't made much of a dent in Facebook. Many people think Facebook is terrible, but stay because that's where their friends still are. No critical mass of movement, and Google+ almost six months later is still only at a fraction of the users Facebook continues to have.

And Google+ isn't even something people pay for.

(Bear in mind Google+ also had its own be-evil moment - the forced-real-names-that-sound-real-to-Google debacle - which soured a good percentage of early adopters from the start. As EA is doing here with its requirement. You don't have to anger all the users, just enough of them.)

Maybe EA can force initial growth to be great like this. But my point remains that it's shady at best, people are going to remember it, and it's certainly not going to convince people to hop over for the long run.