'No active subscription' error

StephenReid

While I do find having to enter my credit card into an 'active subscription' to be both dishonest business practice and borderline illegal (probably hidden somewhere in the EULA) - as it was promised to come WITH my purchase of the game and NOT a subscription (I don't see ANYWHERE it has said otherwise previously). My only question is this:

Do my free 30 days come the day I've subscribed? Or did they begin on December 22nd at 3:01 a.m. CST, when players were required to establish an "active subscription"?

Because if it's the latter, that is most certainly, and absolutely 100 million percent illegal.

Let's hypothetically say that I'm in the military and am on active deployment. When I return home to set up a subscription and first enter SW:TOR - I'm entitled to those 30 days in their entirety for making the purchase. Period. THAT was promised.

If this invisible clock of 30 free days has been ticking since the 22nd, I feel a lot of people have grounds to pursue a consumer lawsuit.

I paid my subscription today, but I want to know that I have my free 30 days from TODAY - not the 22nd.

I agree. Not pleased at finding this out. 30 days and I'm cancelling the subscription. Especially since I got this as a gift.

Edited by amy_key

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep saying this, but you fail at comprehension. Stop being a Bioware apologist and start thinking.

At no point should a person be required to give up credit card information in order to get the free game time that comes with the game. It simply isn't necessary. The fact that people who got early access started getting their free game time charged on the 20th even if they couldn't log in to play the game because of queues and then were denied the ability to play after the 23rd without giving up personal financial information is not only bad customer service, it is a "requirement" that makes the so called "free" game time a flat out lie.

If you can't just buy the box and play the game, then don't hide that fact in the small print.

This seems like nothing more than a tactic designed to pad the metrics so that Bioware can say they have all these subscriptions on the first month, even though some of those "subscriptions" aren't going to be around next month.

This decision is one of those "corporate policies" that does little more than tick people off because it simply isn't necessary.

I'm not the one who needs to start thinking. It's a subscription based game. Of course they're going to need your credit card before you start playing. Despite the faulty memories of some people on here Bioware is far from the first company to do this and they won't be the last.

Let this be a lesson to you though about reading fineprint, at least you're learning it now with a 60 dollar game rather than something that costs a lot more.

Obviously some for usage of the word "included" that I wasn't previously aware of! That's a little silly that you have to buy something else before you can use what you were given. The answer I get on the telephone is basically a blank "that's how it works".

You don't have to buy anything you have to have a valid credit card but you can cancel before your 30 free days are up and you won't be charged a dime. That's how it works.

I'm done with this conversation, Bioware did nothing wrong, it's a normal practice for a subscription based company and having played MMOs online since 1998 it was something I was expecting. If you guys want to waste your time complaining and filing lawsuits (lol) have fun.

Edited by Dasffion

So, if they want to do all the processing, I'll let them. I signed up using Paypal. Then went in and cancelled the subscription. Now, I can play for the rest of my free time and decide if I want to really subscribe further after I've "kicked the tires".

They get to process both the subscription and cancellation.

If everyone did this, they might not think this style of doing business was such a good idea.

It should be from when you entered your code. If you balked for days at entering your credit card info even though it says on the box that you need to have a valid credit card to play then you might have less than 30 days to play. If I went to the store today and bought it though and came home and set up everything then I'd have 30 days from today.

Thank you for answering my question and clarifying my understanding of the 30 free days. Your help on this thread has been appreciated.

Even after all this, I still say this practice is a sham and should be treated as such in any discussion.

There should be no need for filling out a subscription until the initial 30 from the product code being redeemed has expired.

Falling back on "this is standard in other games", just means you're all performing the same scheme; not that it is of any value to the consumer or "right". That people have not complained about it or were simply ignored is also irrelevant.

I see the points that a valid subscription (i.e. credit data) enables a certain level of identification of the end-user. Confirming identities up to a point.

*but*

It still feels like a sham. More over now that if I don't feel like playing this after a month I'll be stuck going though the cancellation process; rather than just stop playing.

My 2$

Yes it did say you have to have a paid subscription to play. This means that normal play time (not FREE TIME) must have a paid account to play. It also says that you get a 30 Day FREE subscription when you buy the game. That means that the subscription has already been paid for 30 days!!!! I have already shelled out $150 for the CE and to be told After the fact that I can't play the game because I havn't entered payment info is illegal. I use a pre-paid visa card that currently has a 0 balance due to christmas and shelling out $150.00 for this game. I don't have the funds to start a 6 month subscription until the 1st(by the way that would be in the 30 day window of free play). after all as I have said before I SHELLED OUT $150.00 for this game. I know that I have to use a credit card or some other form of payment to keep my account active after the free time is up but I should not have to be forced to enter payment info just to use the free time they are LEGALLY REQUIRED to give to me based on the EULA on the box.

It should be from when you entered your code. If you balked for days at entering your credit card info even though it says on the box that you need to have a valid credit card to play then you might have less than 30 days to play. If I went to the store today and bought it though and came home and set up everything then I'd have 30 days from today.

Balked at what? I was able to play for a week then all of a sudden I get cut off for two days. Then I realize the "You have 26 days remaining" doesn't really mean what it reads like. It really means "You have 26 days remainging if and only if you purchase more days."

That is totally bait and switch. I could understand that if from the start I needed to have already purchased more time to use the time I was given, but that's not how it played out. I was using my given time then got cut off!! I was then told I could only get my given time by paying for more time. That is about as blantant bait-and-switch as you can get. The only people I know who use that business model are drug dealers. It's illegal in the "real world"

I think the issue here is that Bioware decided to change the rules after the fact, and to me that is breach of contract.

Since I am canadian this smacks of negative purchase option which is Illegal.

When I pre purchased there was nothing to say that I would have to subscribe to allow my time to continue after the purchase.

I think the real reason is that they are counting on People forgetting to un-subscribe before the end.

What Industry standard are they talking about?

I downloaded Eve for trial play, with out giving them any of my info whatsoever.

That was for 2 weeks.

When I layed Swg for a few years it was not at all like that. 30 days then you can add in the game time afterwards.

When Netflix asks for my info, the tell me up front. They say that it helps them ensure that the cc is valid. That way they eliminate the people that change their info to get multiple free accounts.

When Netflix changed the service they charged 3 or 4 dollars more for what they were charging before. They thought that since it was the price of a late a month most people wouldn't mind.

They are still bleeding customers to this day. That was the one thing that NEtflix wishes they could take back.

I have posted this whole issue to Slashdot as well as rock-paper-shotgun. I think that once the media gets a hold of this one the you might see clarification.

Jedi-shag

Balked at what? I was able to play for a week then all of a sudden I get cut off for two days. Then I realize the "You have 26 days remaining" doesn't really mean what it reads like. It really means "You have 26 days remainging if and only if you purchase more days."

That is totally bait and switch. I could understand that if from the start I needed to have already purchased more time to use the time I was given, but that's not how it played out. I was using my given time then got cut off!! I was then told I could only get my given time by paying for more time. That is about as blantant bait-and-switch as you can get. The only people I know who use that business model are drug dealers. It's illegal in the "real world"

This is the main reason I am so incredably PISSED off. The morning of the 20th When I tried to log in, my acount was disabled. OK that was fine. I hadn't yet been to the store to pick up my pre-order. So I went and got it and entered my product code and my account was REACTIVATED. I played for TWO days with out having entered any payment options. Then today when I tried to log in I couldn't since I hadn't entered my payment plan yet. WHY DID THEY LET ME REACIVATE MY ACCOUNT ONLY TO CLOSE IT AGAIN TWO DAYS LATER IF I HAD TO ENTER PAYMENT OPTIONS TO GET THE FREE TIME !!!!!!

Anyone know why when i go to click play it goes to a black screen like it is going to load then goes straight back to my desktop??:confused:

It could be your computer doesn't have the nessary memory to load the game or it could be that your graphics card is not up to the min requirements of the game. if you do have the stats to run the game you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the game

i had same problem with 3 different cards i just went and loaded a different pre-paid card and found that it does charge you now but only because to validate the card it has to charge $1.00 and thats how it checks to see if card works so if you don't have $1.00 on your card it won't work

I have posted this whole issue to Slashdot as well as rock-paper-shotgun. I think that once the media gets a hold of this one the you might see clarification.

Jedi-shag

I hope your efforts produce some positive outcome for the consumer.

Your ball, Bioware. Correct the error of your ways or face Papa Bear on Fox News.

Jimmy.

I encourage people to keep this topic afloat.

(also love the fact my server use to have 2 hour queues... but oooh wait... you kicked it up to 11... or there's a substantial amount of people not able to play or post)

12-22-2011 Coal

Edited by Reztastic

i am another unsatisfied customer!! Give us non CC users a free solution to use our 30 day free play time. I dont see any official posts about this. All I can see on twitter is that they are talking about using your CC, but no answer for us non-CC user. This is not fair!!

I would just like to throw my name in the hat of individuals that find this practice and situation morally reprehensible.

I do not believe for a moment that EA or Bioware is "sorry if we're surprised". They set the trap and sprung it. There is no other appropriate description.

The only "normal business practice" aspect of this situation, is the big business using clever and underhanded tricks to squeeze customers for money at every turn.

Although this is legally defensible through a specific interpretation of a cleverly worded statement, it is intentionally written to be easily misinterpreted and misunderstood.

Big business knows that this will blow over in 5 - 6 weeks and be forgotten. They will lose a few customers because of this, but not enough to make this move unprofitable.

This is 100% a business move. This is the face of big business folks. Learn it well. They are not your buddies, they are not your pals. You are a source of money for them, and when you cease to be a source of money, you cease to matter.

Edited by Seijirou

I don't get it , buy a pre-paid visa if you don't have one, or buy a game time card. The game is worth the subscription. end of story

It's simple.

This is the same trick the Nigerian scam artists use to scam people. They promise you something great, then when you agree they throw the curve ball... "I have millions of dollars for you, I just need you to pay this small fee to receive it..."

Although they won't actually deliver the millions, where as EA will actually deliver the goods. The fact is, they're hooking people first with pre-orders, knowing there's no box available for anybody to read (setting the trap), then once you're committed they throw the curve-ball, requiring an additional up-front investment to receive what they promised you (springing the trap).

Yes if you have a CC you can subscribe and then unsubscribe, but make no mistake, the only reason you can skirt around this like that is because they would have a lawsuit on their hands otherwise. If it wasn't illegal, they'd be charging you the full amount immediately.

Edited by Seijirou

I was able to log in after activating the extra 60 days of time I bought with the game. I did this without giving any other info. To say a CC is required is bull. They basically are just not going to let you play unless you commit to more than the original 30 days. Not only that but in my case they were even deducting from the 30 days. Locking someone out then still taking away credit is just theft. Selling someone something then refusing to give it to someone unless they buy something else presses on extortion.

ps According to my receipt and my bank account they do have my contact info and CC number. So the account security excuse is BS too.

Edited by SirNoidDevoid

I hate to keep rehashing this but it DOES say that you must do this to play. Not to receive your free time but to play. I'm not sure about those other games but I've quoted the Battle.net page where it says that you do indeed need to have a valid credit card or game time card to get the 30 free days for WoW.

Dasffion- you are completely wrong- or you are working damage control for EA...

I can go down to WalMart/Target/Gamestop tonight and pickup another copy of World of Warcraft starter set, go home, install it, create a new account (with real name and email address -NO credit card info required) and play for 30 days. At the end of 30 days it will inform me I must setup a subscription or enter a game card to continue playing.

The 30 days in EVERY other MMORPG is a 'trial period' for seeing what the game is like- the key being that a 'trial' does not require a commitment -where a 'subscription' is the opposite...

Basically this amounts to false advertising on EA/BioWare's part; hopefully they will be held accountable for this and end up fixing it for new players -and crediting everyone at least a month of play time for the issues they have caused.

I contacted customer service in English from Canada and I get this reply:

"Grüße!

Hier spricht Protokolldroide M0-T0, Roboter-Mensch-Kontakter.

Vielen Dank, dass du uns bezüglich der Fehlermeldung "Dieses Benutzerkonto verfügt über kein aktives Abonnement" kontaktiert hast, welche bei deinem Anmeldungsversuch zum Spiel erscheint.

Dies bedeutet lediglich, dass dein Benutzerkonto noch nicht für den "frühzeitigen Spielzugang" freigeschaltet ist. Um dich zu vergewissern, ob du für den frühzeitigen Zugang qualifiziert bist, loge dich bitte in dein Benutzerkonto auf der Webseite von "Star Wars: The Old Republic" ein und klicke auf "Vorbestellen". Du solltest auf dieser Seite deinen frühzeitigen Spielzugang sehen. Hier wird dein bestätigter Spielzugang sowie der dazugehörige Farbkristall (virtueller Gegenstand) aufgelistet.

Bitte kontaktiere unseren Kundenservice, sofern du dir sicher bist, deinen Vorbestellercode eingelöst zu haben - dir jedoch weder eine Bestätigung deines frühzeitigen Spielzugang noch der virtuelle Gegenstand angezeigt werden.

Falls dir jedoch eine Bestätigung zum frühzeitigen Spielzugang angezeigt wird, bitten wir dich um ein wenig Geduld. Der Zugang zum frühzeitigen Spielzugang hängt davon ab, wie früh der Vorbesteller-Code im Code-Einlösungsbereich eingelöst wurde.

Bitte kontrolliere weiterhin deine Emails nach der Einladung zum Frühstart.

Wir entschuldigen uns für entstandene Unannehmlichkeiten und freuen uns, dich bald im Spiel begrüßen zu dürfen.

Galaktischer Support ist unsere Spezialität...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen"

Not only is it in German (language that I don't speak so Google Translate for the win) but doesn't address this issue.

Edited by amy_key

While I realize "all the other guys are doing it" ( a stellar defense), having your first 30 days inaccessable without either a credit or game card is something that should have been included in the activation e-mail. The one I received simply stated to continue playing my character uninterupted, activate my game registration. I immediately complied, apparently starting the 30 day count down.... even though I couldn't actually play. I do not own a credit card and my area was sold out of game cards, yet every day I could log into my account and see how many days I had left of play (I lost three).

While some people will claim that the first 30 days is free... I distinctly remember paying $70 for a game, not just hard drive filler.

Okay... I'm done ranting.

If they are monitoring these - Requiring a subscription to play during the Month that came included with the game was an absolutely horrible idea. It royally horked off everyone in my family as we have 4 collector's editions running here.

Yes, the retail packaging said that a subscription was required to play. We knew and understood SWTOR was not a Free to Play MMO but it was grossly unclear that a subscription would be required during the 30 days of included play time.

The very fact that we were not allowed to play during the included play time feels like something between extortion and robbery. This is just another reason why I don't buy anything through Origin or EA Online. Love Bioware, love the game, and insulted by the business decisions made (and the appallingly bad customer service.)