The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

QoL/Balance changes we would like to see

Ajaxduo

Hello there my fellow Powertech's! I thought it would be nice for us to compile a list of potential 'changes'/'additions' that we would like to see made to our class. Having a detailed list in one area would be readily accessible and also for Devs to read etc. We can currently clear content reliably, sure we may not be the most 'desirable' class but in the end Skill>Class. There will always be changes we would like to see whether they are big or small, QoL or to keep us in the '5% DPS' line. Please feel free to post and discuss things you would like to see overall for the class and it's spec. Ideas that the majority agree on will be added to the list.

Changes we would like to see as of 2.4:

General

For me one of the best change we can get is to get the leap a basic skill for the powertech. Yes we have the grapple, yes it's usefull from a pvp view but it's bring nothing in pve (dps view). The more boss we have, the more switch there are, even with the HO we are still slower than jugg and mara who can leap ton the target.

This is something I've wanted for Powertechs since learning we didn't have one way back in the day. Something the other Tank/DPS AC's get. I'm talking about a real execute. Something like Vicious Throw or Assassinate. A strong move used specifically on targets of 30% HP or less.

I don't want to hear crap about how Pyro has an execute called Burnout. Well then Lethality Snipers have an execute called Devouring Microbes, in addition to Weakening Blast... oh and Take Down, which in Lethality can be used fairly regularly on any target or HP%

And since there are already 2 essentially melee executes and only 1 ranged, and since Powertech are a melee/range class go ahead and make our execute ranged, for balance. 2 ranged, 2 melee..

PvE

Shield Tech

Advanced Prototype

- bring back the +3% elemental/internal damage with HEGC

Pyrotech

- Shoulder canon damage proc CGC at 100% to bring some extra burst

- TD dot damage cause target take 3% more damage from the powertech (or IM but the hybrid will be insane)

PvP

Shield Tech

Advanced Prototype

Pyrotech

A little about myself; My main is and has always been a Powertech/Vanguard. Which are Falere and Jenosa on The Progenitor Server. I run NiM and the current HM mode content as a DPS in a progression based guild. I just thought it would be nice to share my views with the Powertech community.

Have fun and keep it clean, thanks for reading! :cool:

Edited by Ajaxduo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the post, even if it's useless because devs won't read it or consider it.

General :

For me one of the best change we can get is to get the leap a basic skill for the powertech. Yes we have the grapple, yes it's usefull from a pvp view but it's bring nothing in pve (dps view). The more boss we have, the more switch there are, even with the HO we are still slower than jugg and mara who can leap ton the target.

Pyro :

- TD dot damage cause target take 3% more damage from the powertech (or IM but the hybrid will be insane)

AP :

Other :

- Change the 2p bonus to boost FB or RP or FT dmg or crit

Thanks for the post, even if it's useless because devs won't read it or consider it.

General :

Pyro :

AP :

Other :

- Change the 2p bonus to boost FB or RP or FT dmg or crit

Some people may think it is useless yes, mostly because the PT/VG DPS community lost a lot of faith in the Devs after 2.0. I can honestly understand that but I don't think we should just give up. A lot if the other classes that give well written and thought out feedback often get responses from the Devs. Like Paowee's Sniper initiative to get Laze Target changed actually received a response. So we should attempt a similar process :)

I agree with changes needed to Pyrotech, the only problem is that it's a joint spec between PR's and Mercs. So if ours was to be reworked then Mercs should receive something similar. The main trees and higher tier skills need to be made more 'appealing' and actually have a functionality that defines the spec. Similar to how Carnage has Massacre, Lightning has Thundering Blast etc. The potential problem of 'Hybrids' is easy to address, lock Prototype Flamethrower to HEGC just like Prototype Particle Accelerator is tied to CGC.

All we need is more input and support from our community and hopefully we'll get a response at some point in time. I'll add my list of thoughts and changes in a reply soon!

Edited by Ajaxduo

This is something I've wanted for Powertechs since learning we didn't have one way back in the day. Something the other Tank/DPS AC's get. I'm talking about a real execute. Something like Vicious Throw or Assassinate. A strong move used specifically on targets of 30% HP or less.

I don't want to hear crap about how Pyro has an execute called Burnout. Well then Lethality Snipers have an execute called Devouring Microbes, in addition to Weakening Blast... oh and Take Down, which in Lethality can be used fairly regularly on any target or HP%

And since there are already 2 essentially melee executes and only 1 ranged, and since Powertech are a melee/range class go ahead and make our execute ranged, for balance. 2 ranged, 2 melee.

I realize Sorcs, Operatives, and Mercs might feel left out at this point but they can go heal to full some place the sun don't shine.

Very interesting point. I think it's been proven how little Burnout adds to overall DPS (hence why Hybrid is so strong), I think it was KBN who worked out how much it adds and it honestly didn't seem like a whole lot. An actual Execute would be nice and it would offer an opportunity to expand upon the Pyrotech skill tree. As it is the spec is quite basic and after the first 6 seconds it just becomes a Flame Burst/Auto spam fest which can become boring. I'd like to see it expanded upon personally. Hi btw Stryvah I've seen quite a few of your parses on Torparse, nice work!

Edited by Ajaxduo

The jet charge thing won't happen, and it probably shouldn't.

I like the 3% increase with HEGC, because the hybrid ion specs are too close in DPS.

Tanks need more love, there are a lot of ideas out there for this . They need to stop being second fiddle to juggs in both PVP and PVE for tanking.

Very interesting point. I think it's been proven how little Burnout adds to overall DPS (hence why Hybrid is so strong), I think it was KBN who worked out how much it adds and it honestly didn't seem like a whole lot. An actual Execute would be nice and it would offer an opportunity to expand upon the Pyrotech skill tree. As it is the spec is quite basic and after the first 6 seconds it just becomes a Flame Burst/Auto spam fest which can become boring. I'd like to see it expanded upon personally. Hi btw Stryvah I've seen quite a few of your parses on Torparse, nice work!

Its roughly a 3% increase over the fight duration. So add 90 DPS to a 3k parse.

Personally, I'd just like to see the CGC dot bumped up a touch. Pyro was OP before 2.0, but a 50% nerf was way too much.

Its roughly a 3% increase over the fight duration. So add 90 DPS to a 3k parse.

Personally, I'd just like to see the CGC dot bumped up a touch. Pyro was OP before 2.0, but a 50% nerf was way too much.

Maybe even less than that, it only increases CGC DOT ticks, which were nerfed by half in 2.0.

Not to say it isn't useful, it makes burning people down in PVP slightly easier when all of the dots aren't getting cleansed.

Thanks, I try, not hard enough it seems though. Although it'd be nice to have a mara in the group, might help boost me up to what some of the other PT/VG are pulling. Really though I think most of our numbers comes from positioning and having good tanks really helps with that.

Maybe even less than that, it only increases CGC DOT ticks, which were nerfed by half in 2.0.

Not to say it isn't useful, it makes burning people down in PVP slightly easier when all of the dots aren't getting cleansed.

Nah it does IM and TD dots too. If it were only cgc would be a total of like 1% increase.

Really though I think most of our numbers comes from positioning and having good tanks really helps with that.

All of my best HM FP parses are when my Aussie friend is tanking on his Knight. (and we PuG the rest). We play so well together, and have since SWG way back in 2003.

A good tank, as well as good communication, really goes a long way. i.e. A few hundred DPS.

And the armor debuff doesn't hurt, either :)

Although, I did break 3k DPS on Chief Zokar in a full PuG, before the power went out last night :( Also, had a few decent SM parses in DF w/ awesome Harbinger lag, too. 150 ms-30k ms...Garbage a** server.

http://www.torparse.com/a/478317

EDIT: Completely lost my train of thought when the phone rang...

-Increase/revert GCG damage

-Revert CGC proc on FB/IP instead of RP/SS.

-Execute ability

-Make burnout a raid wide DoT buff, since it is only 3% (gives us utility, reason to bring PT/VG)

-DoT immunity of some kind in PvP

-Add all SW DCD's to VG/PT Assault/Pyro tree... :p

Edited by T-Assassin

-Increase/revert GCG damage

-Make burnout a raid wide DoT buff, since it is only 3% (gives us utility, reason to bring PT/VG)

If they reverted to pre 2.0 CGC it would be too much, in full 78 it would like like a 3k or more DoT over 6s

Intresting, suggestion of a raid DoT buff since I have often talked about this with my guild. Though in my case I was thinking about a elemental/internal buff mirrored to something like armor debuff. I noticed it already exists in the game as some enemies in Makeb gave me "Oil Soaked" which said it lowered my elemental/internal damage reduction.

Simple one for assault/Pyro:

Thermal Detonator/Assault Plastique, in addition to its current effects, also applies the debuff "Prototype Accelerant/Tactical Accelerant". This debuff is uncleansable, and causes DoTs to deal 20% more damage and become uncleansable.

Not only does it give some cleanse protection in PvP, but also means its worth it to grab Thermal Detonator/Assault Plastique in PvE instead of going the 8/8/30 build

And an Execute for AP/Tactics:

Return Blitz (or whatever the PT name was, I main a vanguard), but make it do the damage it would have done to weak targets, and usable on all targets at <30% health instead of stunned targets. Put in the same tier as Prototype Flamethrower/Pulse Generator

Edited by TACeMossie

The jet charge thing won't happen, and it probably shouldn't.

We can't have a charge in all specs, hydraulic override, and a pull. All our abilities are 10 meters which favors us. I haven't found a need for a charge.

Grapple has limited uses in PvE, only useful for pulling trash into your Flamethrower and other AoE's. Frowned upon being used too much as it causes high threat gen. The Assassin Force Pull is in the Darkness tree, I always wondered why ours wasn't. Having Jet Charge moved to be trainable would benefit all specs. Pyro has limited movement, loses out on the 30% speed boost from AP and we have 4 seconds less on HO. The speed boost from HO is barely noticeable imo and is used to prevent being knocked out of PFT. Also by moving Jet Charge out of Shield Tech it gives the opportunity to replace it with a 'new' defensive CD for Shield Tech tanks. As it stands Energy Shield once every 2 minutes it's pretty sucky and sub par in comparison to the CD's available to the other Tanks. That is just my opinion though, considering how we are supposed to be a 'melee' based class I believe it would be beneficial.

Edited by Ajaxduo

QOL change

PvE

Shield Tech

- Apply a threat modifier to Grapple through either a talent or buff the threat of it while in IGC. Current threat output of Grapple is only about 2500, compared to Sin Force Pull which is 9000.

AP

- Some form of Execute talent/buff much like Burnout

Pyro

- Buff Burnout's execute damage increase for CGC

Grapple has limited uses in PvE, only useful for pulling trash into your Flamethrower and other AoE's. Frowned upon being used too much as it causes high threat gen. The Assassin Force Pull is in the Darkness tree, I always wondered why ours wasn't. Having Jet Charge moved to be trainable would benefit all specs. Pyro has limited movement, loses out on the 30% speed boost from AP and we have 4 seconds less on HO. The speed boost from HO is barely noticeable imo and is used to prevent being knocked out of PFT. Also by moving Jet Charge out of Shield Tech it gives the opportunity to replace it with a 'new' defensive CD for Shield Tech tanks. As it stands Energy Shield once every 2 minutes it's pretty sucky and sub par in comparison to the CD's available to the other Tanks. That is just my opinion though, considering how we are supposed to be a 'melee' based class I believe it would be beneficial.

Well I still disagree. I certainly think it would be great, but when thinking about the entire game I can't support it. All Pyro attacks are instant so they aren't channeling, using HO for fight movement seems adequate. Now AP is smoking it in PvP. Think about adding a charge along with HO is too much. Way too much I am sorry. I totally support buffing pyro's lagging dps in some way but not that.

Advanced Prototype:

Solid in PvP. PvE wise its still behind top parsing classes, while offering no utility. I think the only thing that can be slightly buffed without making the class OP is HEGC. Buffing the bonus from tree from additional 1% to additional 3% would be nice.

Shield Tech:

I do not play shield tech to comment on specifications, but it plays like poor man's immortal jugg. It has less peeling, less DCDs and slightly better damage. It does not provide anything on the table that the other tanks do not provide better (sin will be better after 2.5).

Pyro:

Still suffers from the same issues it suffered from pre 2.4. It is better, but not competitive. PvP, once you use kotlo overide, you are a free kill. You can be easily focused, especially that you will eat a lot of aoe damage as a melee class.

Damage is over reliant on dots, that are easily cleanseable. IM is underwhelming. It is a pathetic dot, that costs too much heat, and does nothing. Lowering its cost maybe helped PvE, but PvP wise, the heat was never an issue. Now its 16 heat for ~ 200 dps over 18 secs that nets less than 1K damage when cleansed.

PvE wise, the spec parsing is far from competitive.

Is pyro a burst spec or sustained damage spec? AP performs better in both aspects, with better mobility and DCDs.

Another couple of notes. Dps Pts are not going to get jet boost. It simply would never happen as long as we have HO.

AP, is one of the strongest PvP specs. It is not going to get major boosts. A minor boost like HECG or some QOL improvements are doable, but asking for major buffs, will not happen.

Pyro does not need more damage. In fully min/maxed obroan pyro is putting out pre 2.0 burst damage, what Pyro simply needs to overtake AP in Arena is 30% AoE Damage reduction. Redesign flame suit to give 30% aoe damage reduction then Pyro will become the spec to play again. The buffs in 2.5 however subtle where fantastic.

If we are talking about just quality of life changes rather than a major reworking of the class, I would like to suggest these.

Shield Tech

- have shield vents, hydraulic shield, and heat screen talents proc off of dodged attacks for more synergy with oil slick.

-have a talent somewhere to strengthen oil slick by adding a debuff to force/tech attacks (not necessarily an accuracy debuff).

If we are talking about just quality of life changes rather than a major reworking of the class, I would like to suggest these.

Shield Tech

- have shield vents, hydraulic shield, and heat screen talents proc off of dodged attacks for more synergy with oil slick.

-have a talent somewhere to strengthen oil slick by adding a debuff to force/tech attacks (not necessarily an accuracy debuff).

Second

Pyro does not need more damage. In fully min/maxed obroan pyro is putting out pre 2.0 burst damage, what Pyro simply needs to overtake AP in Arena is 30% AoE Damage reduction. Redesign flame suit to give 30% aoe damage reduction then Pyro will become the spec to play again. The buffs in 2.5 however subtle where fantastic.

Perhaps in PvP. In PvE, we are still >5-10% behind top performing AC's.