Sorcerer Changes Brainstorming

EricMusco

You'd be far better with hybrid for that. You do miss out on the slow though. But, to each their own and it's a different conversation altogether now isn't it? lol.

Which slow? Lol. You mean the root of sever force. A couple of posts back you said that trance stacks remove the health consumption, which is also wrong. It is pretty clear you don't play a sage. But I like how a few posts before you tell people l2p. ROFL. Of course you have every right to post, but of course we have every right to ignore your posts as non existent from now on.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your intention eliminating entirely resource management for healers in PVP? I don't support this.

Arena in WoW didn't have any "real" time limit. So they needed mana to be a limiter to the fight. Since we have 5 minute rounds I can safely say that all the healers SHOULD be able to heal for the full 5 minutes.

Arena in WoW didn't have any "real" time limit. So they needed mana to be a limiter to the fight. Since we have 5 minute rounds I can safely say that all the healers SHOULD be able to heal for the full 5 minutes.

That or no healer should be able to heal PvP burst damage in the full 5 minutes.

The problem is that one healer can, and the other two cannot.

I would think that every healer should run OOM at the 4 minute mark if dps is doing their job properly. I think it adds a tactical incentive to the more agressive team.

Btw, I might add that after continuing to do more and more arena and as the POT5 scene has gotten more and more competitive I still feel the following changes should be done. My opinion has not changed, besides "Reverse Corruptions now removes the health cost of using Consumption" possibly being tied to the set bonus.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=692500

Corruption- Still needs more tools to survive as well as better Force.

Lightning- Needs more utility/capability, to help maintain dps uptime. Too easily locked out.

Madness- Needs better Force and Instant WW. (I'd like to remove self healing for passive defenses but that's a QOL buff)

Baseline- Need Fadeout for all Sorc and overload needs to be better than it is.

Edited by Xeraz

And you are? What are your last 2 posts about?

Atleast I've made suggestions and explain with addressing the problems and solutions. Sorry if somebody with no experience or knowledge on the class tries to destroy my credibility and I defend myself by questioning his credibility in the first place.

It's funny you speak about ignoring and swaying off topic when the guy came at me with no experience or knowledge and started calling me bad for stacking crit for whatever reason he thinks I do...only to be defended by you.

1. What is the purpose of class balance? You've been arguing this whole time on a class balance thread only to give negative comments and in the end tell those who have problems to go reroll/bring another healer as a solution.

2. Sins hate sorc healers...sounds like your sorcs don't prebubble followed by instant aoe on your stun locks. L2p issue here if you're dying with your sorc healers having plenty of force. By the way, since when do you speak for sins?

3. Ignoring people is one way to admit defeat when dissected and questioned in an argument.

well that's easy, the one you quoted here and one where I asked you what your original point was (which I have gone ahead and looked at) and telling you he ignored you, but it appears I am being the irresponsible one now, so yea my last two posts were far from productive.

just throwing this out there, but that guy doesn't play a sorc healer (just in case that wasn't obvious) he has a sorc dps as an alt and his main is a Sin tank, hence why he isn't as well informed as he should be. I can't speak for Sorc healing either, as I have been a sorc dps since early access, so lets here what you have to say about what sorc dps needs improvements on, you did say you would have elaborated on it. Also I gather your a pvper, so if any of your suggestions reflect on pve then I would be interested to hear what you have to say, considering raids are aparantly 'dumbed down'.

A second go of it for lightening:

Increase root to 2s for Lightening Swarm so it is more than a speed bump

Increase range of Electrocute to 30m

Add CC immunity to Polarity Shift with Chaos Nexus

Decrease base cast time for Whirlwind to 1.5s

Increase distance of KB slightly for Overload

Add immunity to and removal of movement impairing effects baseline e.g. fadeout

Increase Force Slow movement reduction to 70% as it is a single target slow

Fixed or see how it goes before further changes.

Forgot, barrier needs a KB+slow so people cannot instantly kill us. Make KB 360 again; we should not be the only class with a KB that needs to actually aim it. The whole idea behind all of this is if they are going to focus us then they should have to work for the kill. Just like we have to work to keep distance so we can cast.

Edited by skarlson

well that's easy, the one you quoted here and one where I asked you what your original point was (which I have gone ahead and looked at) and telling you he ignored you, but it appears I am being the irresponsible one now, so yea my last two posts were far from productive.

just throwing this out there, but that guy doesn't play a sorc healer (just in case that wasn't obvious) he has a sorc dps as an alt and his main is a Sin tank, hence why he isn't as well informed as he should be. I can't speak for Sorc healing either, as I have been a sorc dps since early access, so lets here what you have to say about what sorc dps needs improvements on, you did say you would have elaborated on it. Also I gather your a pvper, so if any of your suggestions reflect on pve then I would be interested to hear what you have to say, considering raids are aparantly 'dumbed down'.

Sorc dps honestly don't need much improvement, maybe a few tweaks but nothing like corruption. I've played every spec in the game..literally. I've never seen such imbalance among the healers in the game. Honestly....2 terribly bad healing specs(pvp wise) out of 3 in the game is ruining a lot of potential for variety of comps in arenas.

Like I said, my suggestions by changing the set bonus so innervate crits gives some kind of force back or possibly bubbles giving a small amount of force back on break(but then might be a hit or miss buff to madness). This wouldn't touch pve at all, too much of a stat loss only to gain extra force that currently isn't needed for raiding. The reason why I like my innervate crit to set bonus is because this would also fix the problem of sorcs having to waste innervate on themselves just to top them selves off from consuming throughout the fight. If this change would go through, I strongly believe sorcs would be able to maintain bubbles/heals through the 5 minute cleaves on focus targets without having to worry about consuming to the point of practically taunting the other team to swap to you with your low health pool and light armor.

Problems that needs to be addressed for sorc dps

1. Bring back old knockbacks, why was this nerfed in the first place when commandos have a bigger aoe knockback while wearing heavy armor and hydraulic override with more means to escape from a train?

Solution: Balance something out here with the knockback. Whether that means more damage which has stayed the same since launch, cd being reduced while being attacked like how evasion works in the op healing tree or knockbacks in the dps pyro tree(I believe, sorry I can't remember every talent in the game for both sides) Once a sorc is trained, there is no means of "make them pay" this change to knockback by reducing the cd being attacked would bring us a little closer to "make them pay".

How this would affect pve: sorc tanks will be op with being able to heal to full/kiting/and constant knockbacks.....

2. Instant WW...plenty of arguments as to why it should be in the game. Most obvious reason is that it's an important utility that would balance the class from a cc perspective. I really don't understand how instant ww would be devastating to pve raids here. Honestly why bioware why did you nerf sorcs in this section. I can understand sin with their other ways of control...but not sorcs especially realizing sorcs are forced to play reckless and exposing themselves out of los just to get a cc off assuming you're white barred with polarity shift while being trained not mitigating any kind of damage. I really really don't understand why they took this out of the game.

Solution: Bring it back so we're not the only class the game without an instant 6 second+ cc while also being the squishiest class in the game.

How this affects pve: you can instant ww a boss and it still won't do anything.

As for madness and lightning, I believe lightning needs some kind of work, honestly I haven't thought too much about it, but I do know lightning sorcs are literally the squishiest spec in the game. For being a glass cannon, something needs to be done to be able to be a cannon rather just glass in arenas. Polarity shift isn't going to cut it especially with all the defensive cds that can easily negate damage. Knockback root isn't going to cut it against rage spec maras training you and buffed with being able to obliterate back to the target while rooted. So that leaves lightning only means of defense is force speed/slow/bubble stun and barrier. All of these abilities do not create distance against fotm pt running with hydraulic/pulling/stunning twice while all you have is a bubble stun for one lightning strike/4 second stun that reduced their damage but 30%. Yes it's a hard counter, but this is just one of many counters which makes the spec in need of balance.

My comment on madness and force regen ...I honestly don't think it needs much of a buff aside from removing force degeneration, that whole concept just boggles my mind as to why it's still in the game. Not only is the ratio imbalance for the health lost for force, but to add in another debuff that negates the whole concept of the ability especially when under pressure to finish a kill or survive. I really don't know what much could be done considering madness force regen is based off being able to freecast in raids. This change would be asking a lot for bioware to get it done right, which is why I haven't really pushed into the idea yet. From my personal experience, I haven't run into huge force regen problems as madness, usually I tell my teammates who are giving me trouble and when to peel. The best I can do at this point is just coordinate with my teammates so they're able to give me windows of opportunities to burst with them by setting up dots and force lightning. If I'm having to bubble constantly then most likely something is being played wrong. If I'm running out of force from spreading too much dots, then obviously I need to work on control and coordinated pressure/burst based on the opponents defensive cds. So far I've been able to adapt against the best teams on Bastion playing double range. Probably why I haven't thought much on what could be done in this area.

Edited by Gomex

Sorc dps honestly don't need much improvement, maybe a few tweaks but nothing like corruption. I've played every spec in the game..literally. I've never seen such imbalance among the healers in the game. Honestly....2 terribly bad healing specs(pvp wise) out of 3 in the game is ruining a lot of potential for variety of comps in arenas.

Like I said, my suggestions by changing the set bonus so innervate crits gives some kind of force back or possibly bubbles giving a small amount of force back on break(but then might be a hit or miss buff to madness). This wouldn't touch pve at all, too much of a stat loss only to gain extra force that currently isn't needed for raiding. The reason why I like my innervate crit to set bonus is because this would also fix the problem of sorcs having to waste innervate on themselves just to top them selves off from consuming throughout the fight. If this change would go through, I strongly believe sorcs would be able to maintain bubbles/heals through the 5 minute cleaves on focus targets without having to worry about consuming to the point of practically taunting the other team to swap to you with your low health pool and light armor.

Problems that needs to be addressed for sorc dps

1. Bring back old knockbacks, why was this nerfed in the first place when commandos have a bigger aoe knockback while wearing heavy armor and hydraulic override with more means to escape from a train?

Solution: Balance something out here with the knockback. Whether that means more damage which has stayed the same since launch, cd being reduced while being attacked like how evasion works in the op healing tree or knockbacks in the dps pyro tree(I believe, sorry I can't remember every talent in the game for both sides) Once a sorc is trained, there is no means of "make them pay" this change to knockback by reducing the cd being attacked would bring us a little closer to "make them pay".

How this would affect pve: sorc tanks will be op with being able to heal to full/kiting/and constant knockbacks.....

2. Instant WW...plenty of arguments as to why it should be in the game. Most obvious reason is that it's an important utility that would balance the class from a cc perspective. I really don't understand how instant ww would be devastating to pve raids here. Honestly why bioware why did you nerf sorcs in this section. I can understand sin with their other ways of control...but not sorcs especially realizing sorcs are forced to play reckless and exposing themselves out of los just to get a cc off assuming you're white barred with polarity shift while being trained not mitigating any kind of damage. I really really don't understand why they took this out of the game.

Solution: Bring it back so we're not the only class the game without an instant 6 second+ cc while also being the squishiest class in the game.

How this affects pve: you can instant ww a boss and it still won't do anything.

As for madness and lightning, I believe lightning needs some kind of work, honestly I haven't thought too much about it, but I do know lightning sorcs are literally the squishiest spec in the game. For being a glass cannon, something needs to be done to be able to be a cannon rather just glass in arenas. Polarity shift isn't going to cut it especially with all the defensive cds that can easily negate damage. Knockback root isn't going to cut it against rage spec maras training you and buffed with being able to obliterate back to the target while rooted. So that leaves lightning only means of defense is force speed/slow/bubble stun and barrier. All of these abilities do not create distance against fotm pt running with hydraulic/pulling/stunning twice while all you have is a bubble stun for one lightning strike/4 second stun that reduced their damage but 30%. Yes it's a hard counter, but this is just one of many counters which makes the spec in need of balance.

My comment on madness and force regen ...I honestly don't think it needs much of a buff aside from removing force degeneration, that whole concept just boggles my mind as to why it's still in the game. Not only is the ratio imbalance for the health lost for force, but to add in another debuff that negates the whole concept of the ability especially when under pressure to finish a kill or survive. I really don't know what much could be done considering madness force regen is based off being able to freecast in raids. This change would be asking a lot for bioware to get it done right, which is why I haven't really pushed into the idea yet. From my personal experience, I haven't run into huge force regen problems as madness, usually I tell my teammates who are giving me trouble and when to peel. The best I can do at this point is just coordinate with my teammates so they're able to give me windows of opportunities to burst with them by setting up dots and force lightning. If I'm having to bubble constantly then most likely something is being played wrong. If I'm running out of force from spreading too much dots, then obviously I need to work on control and coordinated pressure/burst based on the opponents defensive cds. So far I've been able to adapt against the best teams on Bastion playing double range. Probably why I haven't thought much on what could be done in this area.

This actually sounded more reasonable than I thought it would, I definitely agree with you about Madness's force management. And yes I do feel lightning needs improvements, overall in a pve standpoint their damage output isn't overly great, I feel it is too reliant on crits and the base damage doesn't stand up on it's own. I wouldn't mind a sorc being a glass cannon so long as they get the canon part right, more often than not they fire blanks. also some form of utility wouldn't go astray, like how the snipers and marauders get ballistic shield and bloodthirst respectively, maybe something that affects crit, surge or alacrity or just anything that isn't covered by the other utility moves.

The major thing that raises an eyebrow with me though is how you think the overload changes would affect pve, firstly the only time I have ever tanked as a sorc is when I rip agro or the Dread Master Raptus fight until Bestia has been dealt with, but even so it is very rare (if not non-existant) for a raid boss to be affected by knock backs, just like they can't be stunned (at least through conventional means), and really anytime I see the words 'Heal to Full' my blood boils just a little, off healing takes a fair chunk of force if you go to full (unless you use Unnatural Preservation) which proves to be more of a pain for madness sorcs, and in raid situations the cast time for off heals takes up far too much time that could be spent dpsing the boss, and should be only done if both tanks are at dangerously low health, which would occupy the healers.

When it comes to pvp madness, together with baseline fadeout, insta ww, some minor help with force management, long dots like affliction and creeping terror don't break mezzes, it would be great to swap the places of lightning barrage with subversion for that added little bit of burst, which is rng with a lockout of 10s.

With these few changes madness would be perfectly fine.

Edited by MusicRider

i don't even know why i bother responding to a pve sin lol, but hopefully you'll stop posting after this.

i've been playing since launch. they nerfed self healing on anni maras too. the problem with raiding in general is that there's no way to make it really challenging...all they do is increase boss hp and how hard they hit. sins will never have enough self healing to compensate for the extra damage they take by having less armor than the other tanks. how is that hard to understand?

hybrid is nowhere near as good as madness in arena. hybrid is a damage padding wz hero spec. you really should just stop posting about sorcs when you're a clueless pver.

again, what do you know about force management when you don't do 4s and you're a pve sin?

and uhhh...this whole thread is about offering suggestions so sorcs get the tools they need to compete. you little raiders can press your buttons while standing still and the boss stays on the tank and you stand out of red circles. it wouldn't matter what they nerf or buff because the fights stay static and there will always be multiple ways to beat them. unless you are under pressure as a merc or sorc healer, you can't begin to appreciate how much easier op heals have it.

You realize pvping is far easier than raiding right? Specifically ranked, with no objectives...at all. If you really want to go down that path...you might do something that has objectives rather than "smash my keys to win!"

It is also clear you do not understand how Sin tanking works...in any aspect of the game. I suggest to stop posting on it. Also...are you really going to say merc heals are bad in PvP now? Really? lol. Yes, it's raiders who need things dumbed down and boosted...clearly.

I would argue that madness is the fluff spec. Certainly while your dots can be cured instantly. Hybrid has more burst. But, go on PvPr...continue thinking you understand Assassin tanking mechanics lol. Or the changes they've gone through. Launch...sure.

But really, if people want sorcs to have the same mobility and fast recovery heals, it will involve a total class change. You can't (well, shouldn't) have both.

Which slow? Lol. You mean the root of sever force. A couple of posts back you said that trance stacks remove the health consumption, which is also wrong. It is pretty clear you don't play a sage. But I like how a few posts before you tell people l2p. ROFL. Of course you have every right to post, but of course we have every right to ignore your posts as non existent from now on.

Yeah, I don't play a healer. They're boring :p And yep, I meant root. My mistake, I don't play full madness anymore, as there are better specs. L2P If you're having resource problems as a sorc.

You realize pvping is far easier than raiding right? Specifically ranked, with no objectives...at all. If you really want to go down that path...you might do something that has objectives rather than "smash my keys to win!"

It is also clear you do not understand how Sin tanking works...in any aspect of the game. I suggest to stop posting on it. Also...are you really going to say merc heals are bad in PvP now? Really? lol. Yes, it's raiders who need things dumbed down and boosted...clearly.

I would argue that madness is the fluff spec. Certainly while your dots can be cured instantly. Hybrid has more burst. But, go on PvPr...continue thinking you understand Assassin tanking mechanics lol. Or the changes they've gone through. Launch...sure.

But really, if people want sorcs to have the same mobility and fast recovery heals, it will involve a total class change. You can't (well, shouldn't) have both.

so merc heals are good in pvp? lol

keep s keying and clicking. don't stand in fire baddie

Not sure if serious... Cause, if you are, you have a very limited understanding of pvp.

Pretty sure almost everything you've said since you came into this thread is bad or wrong or both. Stop posting please. You clearly have zero clue about...anything relevant to this thread.

Yeah, I don't play a healer. They're boring :p And yep, I meant root. My mistake, I don't play full madness anymore, as there are better specs. L2P If you're having resource problems as a sorc.

Lololololololololololololololololololololololo. Listen to this experienced and expert sorc and learn from him. Lolololololololololol. Between us we both know you don't play a sorc. And please stop posting about sins on this sorc thread, they have their own subforum.

Madness does need some work, and the changes that are being made are for PVP, well what if you do not PVP? The barrier is bad for PVE as it just drops your aggro and the mob attacks another player, however it does have it's uses to block certain big AOE attacks which can be nice. The DPS is still low, if you look at the server threads for DPS leaders they are much lower than the top classes.

I know someone might say utility,,,,great they can cleanse themselves, the other things they have like self heal is to simply make up for their severe lack of real defensive cooldowns in comparison to the other classes.

Fix Deathfield! When you use it, it normally makes you lose your target...why? I was targeted on a mob I used my AOE, the target is still alive, but I must re target? That is stupid, and a very bad design...fix it! Also if you look at the damage deathfield did before 2.0 and look at it now...it seems to have not scaled very well. At top end gear at lvl 50 my heatseekers crit for around 7k, I am at top end gear now and sometimes they crit for 11k...Daethfield looks like it went from 6k to 7.2k...buff it.

Also making sorc DOTs uncleanseable is stupid! what about bleeds for Mara's, they can be cleansed, fire for Pyro's they can be cleansed....so ***? you are kinda breaking a fundamental law. Find better ways to fix stuff.

Sorry for being sarcastic about that part :p

It's fine, never overly great at interpreting sarcasm in text form, though a problem I am begining to notice is that the pvers don't agree with potential pvp changes and vise versa, I don't know if it is a lack of understanding between the players or if the class is really at the point where if one side changes it would negatively affect the other, probably a combination of both.

It's fine, never overly great at interpreting sarcasm in text form, though a problem I am begining to notice is that the pvers don't agree with potential pvp changes and vise versa, I don't know if it is a lack of understanding between the players or if the class is really at the point where if one side changes it would negatively affect the other, probably a combination of both.

Just a lack of understanding really, also a bit biased. I raided in Wow as well as arenas so I understand how one change can completely change the outcome of raids and vice versa with arenas. The reason why I say this game's raid is dumbed down is simply because I don't like the mechanics of the fight and how healing works, I feel like operatives are buffed too strong while other healing classes are there more just for support. This doesn't mean that some comps in arenas aren't dumbed down. I strongly believe comps such as caveman cleave(double sent/mara) are completely dumbed down. Also every comp gets dumbed down when everyone runs the same class for healing(now tanks as well). This is why I'm voicing an opinion for change/balance. The thing I liked about Wow, is there was usually a variety of healers who performed better than others on certain fights. So it was a good thing to bring a balanced all around comp for every raid rather than stacking specific over powered class. This applies to arenas as well. The main thing this game lacks is the incentive to play a certain class over a period of time. Once nerfed, like commando/sorc healing there is no hope for months to be able to perform better than other classes on certain fights or in my situation, certain comps in arenas. People like to play classes because of their uniqueness about them, if they can't feel like have a specific role nobody else can bring to the table...then why play the class other than the fact that it's more "challenging". What keeps the majority of competitive players playing a specific class is the rewards, whether that means shiny things or simply winning. This concept applies to arenas as well. The hard part isn't necessarily recognizing the problems and providing solutions, but rather making a change understanding one class strengths and more importantly counters to other classes while keeping in mind how it would affect raiding. This is where pve clashes with pvp : / Of course you'll have other classes being more biased than others. But take it from a player who isn't biased and actually played every class in ranked with the history of server first in raiding on WoW(wrath and cata)+arena experience.

Edited by Gomex

The thing is they don't have to contradict each other. It's easy to create changes that have positive effects on pvp and no effects on pve. Even so there are some basic concepts that people seem to agree on.

As DPS the class suffers because you spend so many globals maintaining your defense (static barrier, purge, unnatrual preservation). It also is agreed upon as a whole that balancing dps survivability on "offhealing" simply does not work in pve or pvp. Dark Heal simply costs too much force for that and harms pve damage output too much. Overall there seems to be an agreement that we need either better passive survivability or a good defensive cooldown. Many of the complaints I hear about pve from a sorc perspective (mind you I am a pvper so I can't personally confirm this) is that they often are one shot from raid mechanics other classes can live through. Our only real defensive cooldown removes us from the game further harming our ability to contribute.

We are here to discuss both aspects of the class to improve it. Honestly we should be trying to work together