Sorcerer Changes Brainstorming

EricMusco

Hey everyone,

As you are no doubt aware, we are being careful in how fast and how drastic we make Class changes. Although we are starting that journey in Game Update 2.5, that is certainly not all of the changes that will happen in the future. As a part of that, one of the things we agree on is that Sorcerers could use a little bit of love.

The reason I am making this thread, is that we are curious on what your ideas might be for your class! This is specifically for Lightning and Corruption. What changes would you like to see to those specs to give them a little bit of help in PvE and PvP.

I am going to be combing through this thread and passing your feedback on to the Combat team. I do want to add a disclaimer to this. Just because a suggestion is made in this thread, or even agreed on by multiple posters, in no way implies it will be put into the game. The purpose of this is to share ideas. At the end of the day it will still come down to the decisions of the Combat Team! This is just an opportunity to add some player insight to the discussion.

If you are more of the Sage persuasion, there is a separate thread for that, here.

-eric

This is not a bashing thread, nor is it a "look at me, im right" thread. Its an idea thread. If someone has a bad idea it'll get passed over.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's what you understood then oh well. But one thing that sorcs are fine is their dps potential and heals in pve. If ou think otherwise you have a l2p issue. And If you look any of my previous posts you will see what problems I see with the class.

okay then, lets say a sorc's dps in pve is just fine (which it isn't) and they could manage to do the same damage as a sniper, I would still pick the sniper over the sorc because they lack raid utility that a sniper can provide with Ballistic shield.

okay then, lets say a sorc's dps in pve is just fine (which it isn't) and they could manage to do the same damage as a sniper, I would still pick the sniper over the sorc because they lack raid utility that a sniper can provide with Ballistic shield.

Yup! Mara's can Bloodthirst the group, but soon to be whole group at once with increased range (But 5 min CD). BIG difference for what.. Sage/Sorc DPS might throw a bubble on you? (Why - Healer Sage/Sorc would be better anyways with 10% buff).

They're not designed to be MT healers. They're meant to be support heals, They're raid healers and padding healers. -That- is their role. That is why you don't go full derp and run two sorc healers. You always run Op or Merc with a sorc. Though, I do like Op and Merc combo more. But that is personal preference.

So stop stacking crit, use consumption (if you're going down to 40% of your health) you're playing -wrong- I can find people who can help you if you like. My raid healer is a sorc, he doesn't go down that low. The only time he ever has was when we pugged a healer who was doing everything wrong.

Healer force and dps force is fine. L2P.

Once again, you missed the point

I've been making suggestion for pvp balance, not raiding where consumption has no consequence as your ops tunnel the scripted fight.

Where did you get the idea I was stacking crit? You're just going off on your own assuming things. You talk as if you know what it's like to heal against the best teams of a server. Please, if you're going to say something then tell me how to compete without losing force in the first minute after having to use my own bubble as a cc breaker just to keep my team alive with only 1k hot ticks and a broken bubble on cd.

The only l2p issue here is the fact that you think double healer in arenas is a legit comp. Especially when you think it's a good idea to consume regularly wasting globals as your teammates get hit for 10k+ combos with every smash.

Edited by Gomex

Once again, you missed the point

I've been making suggestion for pvp balance, not raiding where consumption has no consequence as your ops tunnel the scripted fight.

Where did you get the idea I was stacking crit? You're just going off on your own assuming things. You talk as if you know what it's like to heal against the best teams of a server. Please, if you're going to say something then tell me how to compete without losing force in the first minute after having to use my own bubble as a cc breaker just to keep my team alive with only 1k hot ticks and a broken bubble on cd.

The only l2p issue here is the fact that you think double healer in arenas is a legit comp. Especially when you think it's a good idea to consume regularly wasting globals as your teammates get hit for 10k+ combos with every smash.

I've talked to sorc healers. In pvp consumption is a non issue, you learn how to deal with it and understand the mechanic. I assume you stack crit, because it sounds like you play a sorc horribly...they generally go hand in hand.

I never mentioned double healers in an arena, L2R. Consumption is fine, damage is beyond broken. DCDs in pvp need to be tweaked, same with PvE.

I've talked to sorc healers. In pvp consumption is a non issue, you learn how to deal with it and understand the mechanic. I assume you stack crit, because it sounds like you play a sorc horribly...they generally go hand in hand.

I never mentioned double healers in an arena, L2R. Consumption is fine, damage is beyond broken. DCDs in pvp need to be tweaked, same with PvE.

Only reason why people think there is no problem with force management is because raids are so dumbed down for idiots like you to do without wiping multiple times and going on smoke breaks.

You did bring up double healer...or just talked about double heals for raiding but that has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make...talk about l2r

Any pvp outside of bastion/pot5 means nothing(don't know the euro servers), it means your from talking from a terrible pvp perspective with no experience against players who actually have mmo pvp experience.

To think this is a l2p issue because your server is so dumbed down with backpeddlers that can't put out pressure on a sage....rofl

Please list the sorc healers you talked to that makes your argument valid..wait...you're going just off by hearsay and can't even speak from personal experience? Go figure!

Edited by Gomex

Only reason why people think there is no problem with force management is because raids are so dumbed down for idiots like you to do without wiping multiple times and going on smoke breaks.

You did bring up double healer...or just talked about double heals for raiding but that has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make...talk about l2r

Any pvp outside of bastion/pot5 means nothing, it means your from talking from a terrible pvp perspective with no experience against players who actually have mmo pvp experience.

To think this is a l2p issue because your server is so dumbed down with backpeddlers that can't put out pressure on a sage....rofl

Please list the sorc healers you talked to that makes your argument valid

PvPing is far easier than raiding, specifically arenas. lol. No objective, just kill. There is plenty of pressure on healers in our games, maybe our sorcs are just better than you? Know how to use the class better? Pretty sure that's what is going on crit stacker :p

Consumption is fine, don't be bad (though, I don't see the harm in adding a healer set 4 for it or something in PvP). Damage is bad even if you're great, Utility is non existent, Defensives are non existent except in pvp, where they should be tweaked a bit.

And btw, if you really want to talk dumbed down...how is it raids are more dumbed down than pvp? Where all you do is kill lmfao. Dat brain power. (specifically talking arenas, since I'm assuming all you care about is ranked.)

Edited by Hockaday

PvPing is far easier than raiding, specifically arenas. lol. No objective, just kill. There is plenty of pressure on healers in our games, maybe our sorcs are just better than you? Know how to use the class better? Pretty sure that's what is going on crit stacker :p

And btw, if you really want to talk dumbed down...how is it raids are more dumbed down than pvp? Where all you do is kill lmfao. Dat brain power. (specifically talking arenas, since I'm assuming all you care about is ranked.)

Yep, all those transfers from pve servers trying to do arenas are doing so well...lol. Pvpers on Bastion still do raids super easy. It's nothing new, nothing hard, just same ole players sticking to raiding because they don't like dying often after every game only to get comms rather than shiny stuff...oh and to socialize as a guild rather group of 4 now. I'll pay 2 months sub if you actually bring a team and win against mine :p

Actually nvm, my team just pooed on the Harb's best team and don't want to be disappointed by pve teams again for getting my hopes up of good competition.

your... your joking right? There is no way you could possibly believe that.

No, why would I be joking? I play a DPS Sorc. I do arenas, solo and otherwise. Madness is fine in PvP, specifically because of its mobility. Madness Sorcs are better than any Merc spec and better than MM Snipers in arenas. That spec is essentially fine. I would have never taken it into an 8v8 ranked scenario, because in 8v8s burst damage is king. But for what it does, being a DoT spec, it does admirably. And in arenas burst specs aren't nearly as much of a must-have (see Lethality Snipers or AP PTs.) Lightning is not fine. Lightning suffers from the same issue that Arsenal Mercs have, and that is if you sit on them they can't do damage, because their setup requires casting. How to fix that? Well, if you make the changes I suggest via replacing the PvP Force-Master set bonus with the PvE one, that allows you to put a little alacrity on your gear and end up with dramatically lower cast times when the set bonus passive procs. It also reduces the CD of Polarity Shift, giving you more time being uninterruptable and increasing your damage. Additionally, if you can pop your Static Barrier and Unnatural Preservation without having to waste a GCD, it's going to allow you to play more offensively and get more damage off because you're not having to choose 'Do I do damage or do I use a defensive cooldown' since you'll be able to do both at once. As far as versus ranged classes go, Lightning will be able to beat everything else. The only reason they lose now is because of the multiple GCDs you're using your defensives and not damaging the enemy. As far as melee goes, they're already fine with Bubblestun, Electric Bindings and Force Slow.

Those are the issues DPS Sorcs have. That's what my minor changes would fix. Particularly with the upcoming Vengeance change, maybe all Sorcs should have Fadeout as a baseline ability on their Force Speed so we don't just auto-die. But as things are right now, on this patch, I really don't feel that's necessary. There are other minor things I find wrong with Lightning. I think Thundering Blast's 2 second cast time is ridiculous and would love to see it cut down to 1.5 seconds...but again, that's a luxury thing. It doesn't need to happen in order for Lightning Sorcs to be just as viable as another ranged class in PvP.

I don't have any comment on PvE other than I'm aware that Lightning is currently better than Madness. That both DPS specs are inferior to what the sniper has. And that snipers are OP, everyone knows it, and comparing Sorcs to Snipers and then calling Sorcs bad is just something that is silly to do and needs to stop.

No, why would I be joking? I play a DPS Sorc. I do arenas, solo and otherwise. Madness is fine in PvP, specifically because of its mobility. Madness Sorcs are better than any Merc spec and better than MM Snipers in arenas. That spec is essentially fine. I would have never taken it into an 8v8 ranked scenario, because in 8v8s burst damage is king. But for what it does, being a DoT spec, it does admirably. And in arenas burst specs aren't nearly as much of a must-have (see Lethality Snipers or AP PTs.) Lightning is not fine. Lightning suffers from the same issue that Arsenal Mercs have, and that is if you sit on them they can't do damage, because their setup requires casting. How to fix that? Well, if you make the changes I suggest via replacing the PvP Force-Master set bonus with the PvE one, that allows you to put a little alacrity on your gear and end up with dramatically lower cast times when the set bonus passive procs. It also reduces the CD of Polarity Shift, giving you more time being uninterruptable and increasing your damage. Additionally, if you can pop your Static Barrier and Unnatural Preservation without having to waste a GCD, it's going to allow you to play more offensively and get more damage off because you're not having to choose 'Do I do damage or do I use a defensive cooldown' since you'll be able to do both at once. As far as versus ranged classes go, Lightning will be able to beat everything else. The only reason they lose now is because of the multiple GCDs you're using your defensives and not damaging the enemy. As far as melee goes, they're already fine with Bubblestun, Electric Bindings and Force Slow.

Those are the issues DPS Sorcs have. That's what my minor changes would fix. Particularly with the upcoming Vengeance change, maybe all Sorcs should have Fadeout as a baseline ability on their Force Speed so we don't just auto-die. But as things are right now, on this patch, I really don't feel that's necessary. There are other minor things I find wrong with Lightning. I think Thundering Blast's 2 second cast time is ridiculous and would love to see it cut down to 1.5 seconds...but again, that's a luxury thing. It doesn't need to happen in order for Lightning Sorcs to be just as viable as another ranged class in PvP.

I don't have any comment on PvE other than I'm aware that Lightning is currently better than Madness. That both DPS specs are inferior to what the sniper has. And that snipers are OP, everyone knows it, and comparing Sorcs to Snipers and then calling Sorcs bad is just something that is silly to do and needs to stop.

Lightning has far less mobility as it requires casting, yet lightning has far more control and kiteability due to bubble stun. While nearly impossible to shutdown a guardian/warrior as madness its ez pz as lightning.

In this scenario - kiteability > mobility

Lightning has far less mobility as it requires casting, yet lightning has far more control and kiteability due to bubble stun. While nearly impossible to shutdown a guardian/warrior as madness its ez pz as lightning.

In this scenario - kiteability > mobility

See my comment on 'as far as melee goes...'

See my comment on 'as far as melee goes...'

SInce I've established that mobility doesn't give all that much of an advantage, i just don't really see how madness is fine in pvp. Madness biggest bane is being leapt upon by a smasher and then pretty much destroyed in 3-5 GCD - leaving the smasher with 95% health and 2 measly DoTs ticking. At least with lightning I can pop polarity shift and outburst them, proc a bubble stun and lay a blast when they break my normal stun. With madness your only hope is to pop your 3min bubble cooldown and hope they go away. No i'm not really whining or anything because I'll respec lightning and destory said smasher in next match - but you're on the internet and you're wrong. That ^^^^^^^^ is not balanced.

Yep, all those transfers from pve servers trying to do arenas are doing so well...lol. Pvpers on Bastion still do raids super easy. It's nothing new, nothing hard, just same ole players sticking to raiding because they don't like dying often after every game only to get comms rather than shiny stuff...oh and to socialize as a guild rather group of 4 now. I'll pay 2 months sub if you actually bring a team and win against mine :p

Actually nvm, my team just pooed on the Harb's best team and don't want to be disappointed by pve teams again for getting my hopes up of good competition.

PvPrs are the worst PvErs I've ever seen. They can't even interrupt :/ Or follow strategy...but that's another topic altogether. Remember, you're supposed to be suggesting things sorcs don't need?

PvP is just as scripted as Raiding...you just don't know it lol.

Back to OP: Sorcs really need some form of Utility and DPS increase. It's as simple as that. I can bring a sniper or merc and get far more dps, with far more utility. Sorc bubbles are worthless if you have a healer sorc. If you don't...then there is slight utility there. But that comes at a great cost of dps.

Then lets not forget about squashing the idea of ever bringing two dps sorcs on a raid, due to their dots lowering each other's dps by sharing DF and causing dirty refreshes.

Edited by Hockaday

SInce I've established that mobility doesn't give all that much of an advantage, i just don't really see how madness is fine in pvp. Madness biggest bane is being leapt upon by a smasher and then pretty much destroyed in 3-5 GCD - leaving the smasher with 95% health and 2 measly DoTs ticking. At least with lightning I can pop polarity shift and outburst them, proc a bubble stun and lay a blast when they break my normal stun. With madness your only hope is to pop your 3min bubble cooldown and hope they go away. No i'm not really whining or anything because I'll respec lightning and destory said smasher in next match - but you're on the internet and you're wrong. That ^^^^^^^^ is not balanced.

If you are getting destroyed by smashers in 3-5gcds you aren't playing the class right. And how can you say that mobility doesn't matter when almost every class has to move to do damage on you. If you move properly (kite/los) then you negate their damage since they can't move as good as you. The real problem is Madness has force management problems, and has less damage output then lightning. Part of this lack of damage output can be solved by better force management, but stronger AOE in the madness tree would make it more viable in regs, and keep it from being OP in Arenas. Also dots not breaking whirlwind and/or insta cast whirlwind would be fair.

U can't make fade out baseline, that just throws a whole bunch of other classes skills in the trash.

Edited by warstory

If you are getting destroyed by smashers in 3-5gcds you aren't playing the class right. And how can you say that mobility doesn't matter when almost every class has to move to do damage on you. If you move properly (kite/los) then you negate their damage since they can't move as good as you. The real problem is Madness has force management problems, and has less damage output then lightning. Part of this lack of damage output can be solved by better force management, but stronger AOE in the madness tree would make it more viable in regs, and keep it from being OP in Arenas. Also dots not breaking whirlwind and/or insta cast whirlwind would be fair.

please teach me old wise one, then, how to l2p.

i mean, on my guard or mara i have never not practically insta-gibbed madness sorcs. l2p?

Edited by crunchbarry

Any pvp outside of bastion/pot5 means nothing(don't know the euro servers), it means your from talking from a terrible pvp perspective with no experience against players who actually have mmo pvp experience.

Please list the sorc healers you talked to that makes your argument valid..wait...you're going just off by hearsay and can't even speak from personal experience? Go figure!

I was at least listening to what you had to say (even if I didn't always agree with it) until the moment you said raids are dumbed down compared to pvp. And that is an awfully arrogant thing to say that pvp outside of two servers doesn't matter, so I am just going to assume you live inside a box then, where everything else just doesn't concern you.

This is something well known and well discussed. Sages lack a wide raid utility. Unfortunately, BW sees thei off healing as their group utility, something which is plain stupid when there are enrage timers and no dps can afford to do anything else other than dps.

This is something well known and well discussed. Sages lack a wide raid utility. Unfortunately, BW sees thei off healing as their group utility, something which is plain stupid when there are enrage timers and no dps can afford to do anything else other than dps.

But...they're asking on ways to improve sorcs. Yet almost no one in this thread is suggesting ways to increase dps, or utility, or defensiveness. It's all about power management for class who at the very, VERY most -might- need it for one spec in one aspect of the game. Which is debateable. But this entire thread is almost entirely about a -non issue-.

So raise your voice, put your opinion and suggestions out there. Sorcs need more damage. Sorcs need more utility, sorcs need some form of defensive cool down for PvE.

What? Mobility doesn't matter? Unless you a tank and a healer like the ones featured in mudclot stream, this class is meant to be played by running. Face tanking is the wrong play to play it. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose when kiting, but if you face tank you will always be obliterated and come cry here in the forums.

Bottom line what you established is plain wrong.

it's one thing to ask for pve improvements, but you pvers really need to can it when it comes to pvp. also, any "pvp" sorc who's not at least 2k in 4s, you also need to stop talking.

madness ONLY needs better force management. whether this comes in the form of dots restoring force or deathfield or some new life drain ability to be used in conjunction with consumption....i don't care. watch mudclot's or scold's stream...and if you still think madness sorcs need buffs then i thank you in advance for my further steamrolling in s1

lightning ONLY needs blink/cast while moving cd. against very good interrupters (a well played mara, pt, sin) lightning doesn't get many casts off. blink on a moderate cooldown (20-30 secs) and/or a cast while moving for 10-15 secs on a 3 min cd is more than enough in the hands of a great sorc. anything else would make lightning way too strong.

healing not only needs better force management, but also some form of armor/defense/damage reduction. as was already stated, against GOOD players, aka not 99% of you, a sorc healer can't maintain force while healing aoe pressure and insane burst. a sorc also takes way too much damage to heal himself and multiple friendlies. therefore, sorc heals need passive armor buffs and a damage reduction cooldown that can be used while cc, which reduces damage by 30-40% for 10-15 secs on a 2 min cd. consumption needs the health penalty removed and off the gcd. in reality, healing sorcs also need another instant cast type heal and some kind of binding heal.

if you can seriously argue against these points, it is CLEAR you don't play at a high level in arena, and have no clue how to balance our class (for pvp).

it's one thing to ask for pve improvements, but you pvers really need to can it when it comes to pvp. also, any "pvp" sorc who's not at least 2k in 4s, you also need to stop talking.

madness ONLY needs better force management. whether this comes in the form of dots restoring force or deathfield or some new life drain ability to be used in conjunction with consumption....i don't care. watch mudclot's or scold's stream...and if you still think madness sorcs need buffs then i thank you in advance for my further steamrolling in s1

lightning ONLY needs blink/cast while moving cd. against very good interrupters (a well played mara, pt, sin) lightning doesn't get many casts off. blink on a moderate cooldown (20-30 secs) and/or a cast while moving for 10-15 secs on a 3 min cd is more than enough in the hands of a great sorc. anything else would make lightning way too strong.

healing not only needs better force management, but also some form of armor/defense/damage reduction. as was already stated, against GOOD players, aka not 99% of you, a sorc healer can't maintain force while healing aoe pressure and insane burst. a sorc also takes way too much damage to heal himself and multiple friendlies. therefore, sorc heals need passive armor buffs and a damage reduction cooldown that can be used while cc, which reduces damage by 30-40% for 10-15 secs on a 2 min cd. consumption needs the health penalty removed and off the gcd. in reality, healing sorcs also need another instant cast type heal and some kind of binding heal.

if you can seriously argue against these points, it is CLEAR you don't play at a high level in arena, and have no clue how to balance our class (for pvp).

Yeah...I can agree with most of this. Still debating the healer management issue, but I'll leave that to people who play sorc healers who actually know what they're talking about, unlike the crit stacker.

But PvPrs need to understand that balancing around PvP, and arenas specifically, is just bad news all around. Every time PvPrs get something balanced for them, it breaks it in PvE. Hell, you guys are the reason for assassin tanks being totally revamped.

And, you -still- miss the point that sorcs are laughable damage in pve or pvp at best, and so easy to shut down it's not even funny. Stop letting sorcs free cast and you'll see. Now, ofcourse in 2.5 madness sorcs if full madness can make their dots uncureable. That's going to be a nice step. But that is a useless skill for PvE.

And, afaik...consumption takes no health with the stacks. Lets not make sorcs pure easy mode now.

Edited by Hockaday