Bioware's monday morning.

Tachenko_Yuri

I mean, you wake up, hit your work desk on a monday morning, which hits like a truck for everyone, and first thing you got to do is go through the piles of whining, entitlment, swearing, and all sorts of messages, polite or not, which all bring down to the same message " your game sucks , blah blah blah "

Give'em a break. :(

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why dont you just post in the other bioware is awesome thread so you people can more easily identify and stroke together while singing bioware praises. This is the real world and the real world has problems. Sit there patting yourself on the back long enough and you will be dethroned from the meteocrity slot

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous."

"They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is. Especially watch out for the ones who tell you that nobody understands your genius.

Honestly, this is going to sound horrible, but self-doubt is one of your most powerful tools for craftsmanship. None of the designers you admire feel self-confident about their work in that way. None of them think that they are awesome. They all suffer from impostor complexes the size of the Titanic."

"Everyone who dislikes your work is right."

"This is the hardest pill to swallow. I’ve never gotten a piece of feedback that was wrong. You see, you can’t deny a player their unique experience. Whatever they felt, was true. For them. And something in your work triggered it.

It is useless, and worse, actually self-defeating, to attempt to deny the critique. Sure, there are sometimes reviews that seem spiteful, unfair, and the rest. But the vast majority of the time, people are giving their honest reaction.

And the bottom line is, you put the game out there in order to get reactions. If it were not for reactions, you could have just kept the game in your drawer and gotten everything you needed out of it."

- Raph Koster

http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/#more-13450

The thing is that when you pay for a product you wants it to be without problems !

Lately this game have many problems ! Last time we had to wait 4 or 5 days for Bioware to resolve those bugs !

Did they said they were sorry ? Did they gave us something to apolgize for those days ?

BIG NO !!!

I'm a subscriber since the beginning and I bough the collector box, I spend money on cartel Market and i'm not the only one and we have the right to expect a quality game !

That's explain why people are pissed off when something wrong with SWTOR !!!

Edited by Uludelu

I mean, you wake up, hit your work desk on a monday morning, which hits like a truck for everyone, and first thing you got to do is go through the piles of whining, entitlment, swearing, and all sorts of messages, polite or not, which all bring down to the same message " your game sucks , blah blah blah "

Oh I doubt anyone that works for BW reads the forums on a monday morning. Not even the forum admins... I'm sure they schedule meetings just to avoid going on the forums first thing on a monday.

I believe a Bioware Monday morning goes like this (according to popular opinion):

1. Wake up. Read forums.

2. Delete a random file from every server so it lags or crashes.

3. laugh at players who got booted from server

4. Open old armor piece in paint shop pro.

5. Recolor using fill bucket and release new armor to cartel market.

6. Swim in piles of cash made from new armor. Buy new Porsche.

7. Code entire PvE space sim.

8. Delete code for the Lolz.

9. Post on forums about known server bug.

10. Drink coffee for the next 32 hours, laughing at server issues.

11. Post in customer service asking for feedback.

12. Go back to drinking coffee.

13. Drive Porsche home for the weekend.

Edited by Arkerus

Don't mean to be the one to dampen your spirits, but welcome to MMO's. There is nothing that can be done to convince everyone to not act like jack wagons. It happens in the forums of every single game out there. Part of it.

But today's morning will consist of lots of Coffee and sweets, as they watch all the money pour in from people spending a lot on the new packs :p

(This post is not aimed to be insultive. If people find it as such, it is most likely because they are people who insult BW themselves. I hope Bioware has a great morning going through any and all mess on the forums!)

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous."

"They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is. Especially watch out for the ones who tell you that nobody understands your genius.

Honestly, this is going to sound horrible, but self-doubt is one of your most powerful tools for craftsmanship. None of the designers you admire feel self-confident about their work in that way. None of them think that they are awesome. They all suffer from impostor complexes the size of the Titanic."

"Everyone who dislikes your work is right."

"This is the hardest pill to swallow. I’ve never gotten a piece of feedback that was wrong. You see, you can’t deny a player their unique experience. Whatever they felt, was true. For them. And something in your work triggered it.

It is useless, and worse, actually self-defeating, to attempt to deny the critique. Sure, there are sometimes reviews that seem spiteful, unfair, and the rest. But the vast majority of the time, people are giving their honest reaction.

And the bottom line is, you put the game out there in order to get reactions. If it were not for reactions, you could have just kept the game in your drawer and gotten everything you needed out of it."

- Raph Koster

http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/#more-13450

This is great stuff. I wish more people would understand things as clearly as Mr. Koster does. Thank you for you post.

Yeah, cuz this is a really tough job for them...right? If I did as poorly at my job as some people at Bioware do at theirs (QA), I'd just be thankful I had a job to come to.

My 2 Cents (in Euro currency) :

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PanderingToTheBase

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanDumb

If I'm criticised by "fans" and stop working on what they've criticised, the "fans" will get 2 things :

1. The belief that they were right.

2. The feeling of Power ("Look ! He left after we criticismed him !")

To endure criticism is "manly" leaving because of it is "unmanly", and "fans" believe that anyone who left because of criticism was crap himself/herself anyway.

Further reading :

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4622252/plague-of-game-dev-harassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support-groups

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/31/4572764/leading-developers-on-fame-misfortune-and-the-troll-peril

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Why dont you just post in the other bioware is awesome thread so you people can more easily identify and stroke together while singing bioware praises. This is the real world and the real world has problems. Sit there patting yourself on the back long enough and you will be dethroned from the meteocrity slot

Excellent post.

My 2 Cents (in Euro currency) :

If I'm criticised by "fans" and stop working on what they've criticised, the "fans" will get 2 things :

1. The belief that they were right.

2. The feeling of Power ("Look ! He left after we criticismed him !")

To endure criticism is "manly" leaving because of it is "unmanly", and "fans" believe that anyone who left because of criticism was crap himself/herself anyway.

This is silly...the "fans" are your f'ing customers...every business needs to listen to their customers. Running a business isn't about "power over the people", it's about making $! Sounds like this is all some ego trip for that dude.

If you can't handle criticism, stay the hell out of the business world. Criticism is nothing more than FEEDBACK! Accept it as such and improve your service.

This is great stuff. I wish more people would understand things as clearly as Mr. Koster does. Thank you for you post.

Except that you need to read it in context. Mr Koster is not an advocate of ranty, bratty, non-constructive feedback. His point is that feedback that is constructive (even if highly critical in nature) is valuable and people who receive feedback should listen to said feedback (which by the way should not be confused as meaning they must embrace said feedback without thought and purpose).

His blog on feedback from games will now be used out of context by every game hater on the planet for the next decade... as we have already seen here in this thread.

I dont think most of the developers look at the forums everyday like some people will believe. They probably get info filtered to them from the community team. It only matters in the hands of the decision makers anyways. If they are looking at the forums then they arent doing their job to start with

I dont think most of the developers look at the forums everyday like some people will believe. They probably get info filtered to them from the community team. It only matters in the hands of the decision makers anyways. If they are looking at the forums then they arent doing their job to start with

/Agree.

If I were the PM on the continued development of SWTOR.. the last thing I would want is my devs spending time combing the forums and responding to threads. And when I say this I am NOT saying that comments in the forum should not be harvested and fed back to the devs....only that there are efficient and effective methods to do this that do not dilute developer cycles (which should be focused on actual content work).

The proper method (a method that appears to be in fact applied by Bioware) is to have people focused on communications with the forum membership (ie: Eric's team) who have a responsibility to capture key feedback and push it to the appropriate people on the development team for further review and follow-up. And, there will be times when it is in fact appropriate for a dev to come and respond directly.. and that too happens from my observation

Edited by Andryah

Yeah, cuz this is a really tough job for them...right? If I did as poorly at my job as some people at Bioware do at theirs (QA), I'd just be thankful I had a job to come to.

You haven't had your coffee yet TUX?

Issues aside, the devs work very hard. I know they do because I work with devs just like them (no, not them, just like them). Typically, QA problems are outside of their control as in, they are forced to meet particular deadlines and things have to be released no matter what.

So rail if you want, but devs doing the dev and testers doing the testing aren't the problem. And they are thankful to have a job and thus they let things go for the sake of that job. That is the reality.

Edited by Rafaman

/Agree.

If I were the PM on the continued development of SWTOR.. the last thing I would want is my devs spending time combing the forums and responding to threads. And when I say this I am NOT saying that comments in the forum should not be harvested and fed back to the devs....only that there are efficient and effective methods to do this that do not dilute developer cycles (which should be focused on actual content work).

The proper method (a method that appears to be in fact applied by Bioware) is to have people focused on communications with the forum membership (ie: Eric's team) who have a responsibility to capture key feedback and push it to the appropriate people on the development team for further review and follow-up. And, there will be times when it is in fact appropriate for a dev to come and respond directly.. and that too happens from my observation

Im guessing thats how most mmo's operate anyways. Developers would go insane and just quit due to stress otherwise.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.