The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please switch the engine now before its too late..

Hazed

Reading this post was like listening to someone say "I've driven a car, and I'm telling you, you cannot under any circumstances increase the displacement of your engine without purchasing a whole new car. Trust me, I drove all the way from California to Chicago once. And if you dont believe a qualified individual like me on the subject just take it from my friend the UPS driver."

This is software. You are not a programer. If you where, you would understand that there is no such thing as impossible when it comes to software.

Hardware limitations are a wall you can't break down. Sotf ware limitations don't exist. Because you can change whatever you want, whenever you want. If you know how.

sure given infinite amount of time and infinite amount of money can do just about anything. But given things like schedule and money, and realistic constraints. Not everything is "possible"

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this post was like listening to someone say "I've driven a car, and I'm telling you, you cannot under any circumstances increase the displacement of your engine without purchasing a whole new car. Trust me, I drove all the way from California to Chicago once. And if you dont believe a qualified individual like me on the subject just take it from my friend the UPS driver."

This is software. You are not a programer. If you where, you would understand that there is no such thing as impossible when it comes to software.

Hardware limitations are a wall you can't break down. Sotf ware limitations don't exist. Because you can change whatever you want, whenever you want. If you know how.

There's a difference between impossible and feasible. No one has claimed that it's impossible to change engines. They are all saying that it's time consuming and not worth the effort.

OP claims to turn a 4 banger into a v6 by changing the oil and car wash.

Literally as easy as copy/paste..

not saying it can't be done, just not something that would be possible in his/her delusional concept of time/money/level of effort.

Again COPY and PASTE!

Ya, easy isn't a word I would use to describe the effort. Quick is also off the table.

Worth while .... ya. It would be totally worth the effort.

In your world of false dichotomies, I'm sure that's true.

Or on planet earth. Id rather have a revived swtor in two years than a dead one. It will not get any better with this engine. How can you not see the engine is already maxed its capabilities and with new games coming out that will push the sub base down it will not stay online past a few years in ts current iteration. Plus one for the big word though

The last point I would like to make in this thread is actually a financial one.

The money that was spent on this game was spent on assets. There is a reason we call them assets. Voices, models, textures, scripts. They are the product.

The engine is just the glue that holds the pieces of that product together to create a whole for consumption.

If this game does shut down, all of those assets sit. They still exist. They where still paid for. They just aren't making you any money. That's not a situation anyone wants to be in.

They can be re-used of course, in other products. Even sold off piecemeal to try to recover some more capitol. But in the end its better to have those assets working for you.

The game does not have to be shut down to start migrating to a new engine. In fact, in a world where people where smart, and considered long term profits, the game would continue running, and the money the game made during that time would go towards the migration. Instead of into "EA Capitol Investments" fat cat dividends.

But this is not a perfect world. Far from it. Money people don't care about products. They care about yachts. And this game has at least one more yacht to pay for before the last drop of blood is sucked out.

Its. Not. Feasible. That's the point.

Infinite time and money can do ANYTHING. That is not feasible.

Its. Not. Feasible. That's the point.

Infinite time and money can do ANYTHING. That is not feasible.

You say infinite time and money can do anything. But there is no such thing as infinite time or money. If infinite time and money are required to do anything, than nothing can ever be done.

It is feasible. Much more feasible than your logical falsies.

Edited by Slipfeed

You say infinite time and money can do anything. But there is no such thing as infinite time or money. If infinite time and money are required to do anything, than nothing can ever be done.

No. Its not. Its not even remotely feasible.

If you understood anything about building a game, you would know this. It would take, at minimum a year to even rebuild the game in a new engine and thats considering the assets even WORK in a new engine (which they probably won't).

All this time they are spending a TON of money building the game again. Its time and money that any corporation would say "NO" to. Its not feasible. Not even remotely.

You already answered your own question above. Besides being a technical mess, it has a lot to do with financials. You dispute my financial point but you already made the same point above. I don't even want to think about trying to re-use assets in another engine and then you get to paying for it.

Welcome to the real world. Enjoy your stay. Lunch will be served at noon.

Edited by Arkerus

could write the entire game/engine and such in assembly code. POSSIBLE. not not really feasible.

I wouldnt' expect it to happen. Just isnt worth the effort.

If you understood anything about building a game, you would know this. It would take, at minimum a year to even rebuild the game in a new engine and thats considering the assets even WORK in a new engine (which they probably won't).

All this time they are spending a TON of money building the game again. Its time and money that any corporation would say "NO" to. Its not feasible. Not even remotely.

You already answered your own question above. Besides being a technical mess, it has a lot to do with financials. You dispute my financial point but you already made the same point above. I don't even want to think about trying to re-use assets in another engine and then you get to paying for it.

You type so much, and convey nothing.

I dont care how much time or money it takes its still better than t being dead and by the time it will take to upgrade this game with this engine would be dead anyway

I dont care how much time or money it takes its still better than t being dead and by the time it will take to upgrade this game with this engine would be dead anyway

People who handle that money care. Welcome to real life. Dinner will be served daily.

As was stated, you are stating assumptions as facts. Fact is, game is alive and one of EA's strongest titles since the move to F2P.

Assumptions are not facts. They are assumptions. You are assuming...badly.

As was stated, you are stating assumptions as facts. Fact is, game is alive and one of EA's strongest titles since the move to F2P.

Whoa whoa whoa...where did you get that "fact" from? I'm sure you wouldn't "assume" anything...link please?

People who handle that money care. Welcome to real life. Dinner will be served daily.

No its not fifa madden etc etc they habe plenty of titled and money. Obviously for 200m most anyone could make a better game for half the price so obviously they dont care about money. If they wanted to they could license another engine and swap it over very cheap. Or use a free one. Its not my job to worry or care about how it gets done all i know is that it can cthey just seem to somehow hire the worst coders or if they arent the worst the engine is so unwieldy it makes them look so

No its not fifa madden etc etc they habe plenty of titled and money. Obviously for 200m most anyone could make a better game for half the price so obviously they dont care about money. If they wanted to they could license another engine and swap it over very cheap. Or use a free one. Its not my job to worry or care about how it gets done all i know is that it can cthey just seem to somehow hire the worst coders or if they arent the worst the engine is so unwieldy it makes them look so

Licensing a new engine isn't the hard part...

Whoa whoa whoa...where did you get that "fact" from? I'm sure you wouldn't "assume" anything...link please?

OH I am more than happy to help TUX.

Read it!

Enjoy!

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2702028395x0x679051/d5d63fd4-8e1f-442e-9969-5ac3508923d8/EA-Jul-23-2013_Transcript.pdf

Site Link: http://investor.ea.com/results.cfm

Excerpts:

First, extra content and free-to-play contributed $177 million, up 35% over the prior year, led by sustained growth in FIFA Ultimate Team, as well as Star Wars: The Old Republic, and FIFA Online 3. This revenue relates to businesses on – or business on PC or consoles, where consumers can enhance or extend their gaming experience by buying additional digital content.

This is their #1 category.

And fourth, subscriptions, advertising, and other digital revenue contributed $61 million, down 25% over the same period last year. In the previous year, Star Wars: The Old Republic was a subscription-only based MMO. This year, some of the revenue was recognized in the free-to-play category as we expanded this title to be both a subscription and free-to-play game. If you were to combine all of our extra content free-to-play with subscription, ads, and other, we still saw more than 10% growth over the same period last year.

Translation -- Pure sub segment revenue went down 25% year over year but overall they made MORE money year over year. Sub revenue is not just SWTOR. You can see its a hybrid category containing different objective.

So.

Yeah, FACTS. I use em.

(Now someone will spin this negatively and tell us the game is doomed.)

And in closing:

<A – Blake Jorgensen – Electronic Arts, Inc.>:

Star Wars continues to do well, and obviously, the mobile business is growing with the growth of the mobile platforms around the globe and we’re benefiting from that. I think we’re pretty consistent in where we think our guidance originally was on the growth there. And if that changes a lot, we’ll let you know about it in future quarters. But right now, I think the general focus should be that the guidance is about the same on digital and on packaged goods going forward.

Edited by Arkerus

OH I am more than happy to help TUX.

Read it!

Enjoy

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2702028395x0x679051/d5d63fd4-8e1f-442e-9969-5ac3508923d8/EA-Jul-23-2013_Transcript.pdf

Excerpts:

First, extra content and free-to-play contributed $177 million, up 35% over the prior year, led by sustained growth in FIFA Ultimate Team, as well as Star Wars: The Old Republic, and FIFA Online 3. This revenue relates to businesses on – or business on PC or consoles, where consumers can enhance or extend their gaming experience by buying additional digital content.

This is their #1 category.

And fourth, subscriptions, advertising, and other digital revenue contributed $61 million, down 25% over the same period last year. In the previous year, Star Wars: The Old Republic was a subscription-only based MMO. This year, some of the revenue was recognized in the free-to-play category as we expanded this title to be both a subscription and free-to-play game. If you were to combine all of our extra content free-to-play with subscription, ads, and other, we still saw more than 10% growth over the same period last year.

Translation -- Pure sub segment revenue went down 25% year over year but overall they made MORE money year over year. Sub revenue is not just SWTOR. You can see its a hybrid category containing different objective.

So.

Yeah, FACTS. I use em.

(Now someone will spin this negatively and tell us the game is doomed.)

Yep. AND in the era of SarbanesOxley compliance requirements.. believe it or not.. they can't say things like this unless they are materially true and factual. Their auditors won't let them. Why? Because not just the EA execs would go to jail.. but so would the auditors. SoX era auditors are insanely anal about things like this.

Yep. AND in the era of SarbanesOxley compliance requirements.. believe it or not.. they can't say things like this unless they are materially true and factual. Their auditors won't let them. Why? Because not just the EA execs would go to jail.. but so would the auditors. SoX era auditors are insanely anal about things like this.

So for one quarter they had a uptick because it went f2p and makeb was new that will have dwindled back to laughability by now seeing jow there arent even enough ppl to form groups on non peak hours

Uh yeah, that's why they never say anything specific.

Seeing how there is a total of about 2 people ever charged with any wrongdoing for the multi-trillion dollar theft that was the collapse of the banking and investment industries a few years ago, the prospect of anyone being actually jailed for spinning numbers about a game is laughable.

So for one quarter they had a uptick because it went f2p and makeb was new that will have dwindled back to laughability by now seeing jow there arent even enough ppl to form groups on non peak hours

Last 3 quarters have reported an uptick, as to right now, we'll find out in the next quarterly report in about a month.

ps - I get groups as dps in 10-20 minutes usually.