The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please switch the engine now before its too late..

Hazed

This may already be answered in the thread, but I don't want to read through 12 pages of arguing so...

Does switching engines require a game to be fully rebuilt from scratch, or can stuff just be copied and pasted, so to speak?

I'm not a tech wizz or anything, so I don't really know what an engine is, apart from being software used to make games, and a piece of machinery which powers cars and other vehicles...

Technically speaking, a lot of the assets (textures, 3D models, sounds, and a few other things) could be copied over or converted into a new format without too much trouble. But recreating the scripting engine, AI interface, quests, and most of the fundamental functionality of the game would have to be redone from scratch in a new engine. And that would not be a trivial task. At that point, you're looking at doing pretty much what Sony did with FFXIV, and basically creating an entirely new game based around the new engine.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya cuz, ya know, there is nothing far fetched and unrealistic about people leaping 30m across the air, shooting lightning out their fingers, or throwing objects with their minds while using a sword made out of energy in an age of advanced ranged weaponry and space travel...

Yep, nothing unrealistic about Jedi, Sith, the Force, and Cathar at all.:rolleyes:

Would it not be better to go thru the pains now and have an engine for the future rather than one that will just slowly die off because its not good eniugh to handle future impliments or do tou want to play this exact same game and outdated mechanics till it dies. Its already obsolete shortly after that there is nowhere to go but die

Would it not be better to go thru the pains now and have an engine for the future rather than one that will just slowly die off because its not good eniugh to handle future impliments or do tou want to play this exact same game and outdated mechanics till it dies. Its already obsolete shortly after that there is nowhere to go but die

No.

IF they are going to do anything, it would be best to choose a new engine and start developing SWTOR2, or whatever the next game is going to be. Otherwise, they just spend another year or more to redeliver the exact same game content to a bunch of players who would then be complaining "You spend <time> putting the game into a new engine, but you didn't add any new content! What's wrong with you?" even though everyone is saying "just copy/paste the existing game into a new engine."

Edited by morgen_sol

i'm perfectly fine with the current engine yes the graphics aren't as good as it would be with the cryoengine or w/e but i think the graphics looks fine + i spent 2 years playing this game i would be pissed of if they shut the game down for like 2-6 years to remake the game

Its not the graphics that are the issue its the total inability to upgrade or do anything near massive in a supposed MMO. Unless you consider massive no more than eight ppl

No.

IF they are going to do anything, it would be best to choose a new engine and start developing SWTOR2, or whatever the next game is going to be. Otherwise, they just spend another year or more to redeliver the exact same game content to a bunch of players who would then be complaining "You spend <time> putting the game into a new engine, but you didn't add any new content! What's wrong with you?" even though everyone is saying "just copy/paste the existing game into a new engine."

No i woulnt be complaining at all id be playing archeage. As it is now id rather have them try and fail and habe to start all over than put up with the engine till the game gets cancelled.

Its the only way the can have sny chance in the future unless they just scrap it and make swtor 2 but after the bad taste from swtor i doubt they could get funding or the IP license so hy might as well stretch this out as long as they can

This engine has a definite lifespan and is living on borrowed time. It would be better than having an engine you can knowingly rely on in the future than one you are just hoping doesnt catastrophically die which is inevitable.

As newer gamers come along they arent going to put up with it and this game will be left with a hanful of diehards that cant even keep the income good enough to justify not shutting it down. So by bot supporting a transition you are supporting a quicker demise of this game. Fact.

Nobody in their right mind can say sticking with this engine is healthy for the future of this game. It is a dead end. A little pain now to have it available for a longer duration down the road should be an acceptable price to play for any star wars fan. I dont want swtor 2. I like the game hate the engine. Its a dead end technologically. Playing this engine in the future will be like racing a model T against a corvette

Edited by mmjarec
Jjddj

This is only the scenario. Yeah the scenario looks detailed, but how would the game run with all those players, monsters, animations, systems all running at the same time? 5FPS? We dont really know, so its not our place to say wich engine is best.

We can say that the current one doesnt perform well enough though, as issues as ability failure and inability to deal with large scale battles tell us. I just dont get why Bioware didnt change back to the final version of the Hero engine instead of trying to mod their own.

If they ever make a new boxed expansion or reboot of the game, i hope they run it on a different engine or at least the proper final version of the engine. Though tbh, they have frostbite now... If they could make it run on that it would be great as its EA's own engine and would be alot easier to mod for Bioware's needs.

these guys are making one and they are not even properly funded

so explain to me how a company like EA/Bioware cannot do it?

No, I can explain it, but if you need it explaining you either don't understand programming/MMO's or you don't want to understand. Either way the multipage explanation isn't worth the effort.

If that video is supposed to be an improvement, I don't see it. I don't care for it. I don't like the starkness of it. Y'all might think it looks more realistic, but I like my loud, colourful vulgar Nar Shaddaa the way it is.

If I want to see a more 'realistic city' I'll take the 2 hour drive to Toronto thanks. Can't say I'm coloured impressed here, sorry.

If that video is supposed to be an improvement, I don't see it. I don't care for it. I don't like the starkness of it. Y'all might think it looks more realistic, but I like my loud, colourful vulgar Nar Shaddaa the way it is.

If I want to see a more 'realistic city' I'll take the 2 hour drive to Toronto thanks. Can't say I'm coloured impressed here, sorry.

Once again its not about graphics its about capability.

But a hoth without at-st or whatever those walkers were is no hoth at all

Its not the graphics that are the issue its the total inability to upgrade or do anything near massive in a supposed MMO. Unless you consider massive no more than eight ppl

then i guess i don't see the problem expect for all the bugs we get tho you get bugs in every mmo still i would be pissed if they redid the game on a new engine cause that means the years i spent playing is for nothing unless they redo more than just the engine

cause that means the years i spent playing is for nothing

Not to rub it in but .... the years you spend playing IS for nothing.

One day the servers will shut down, they all do eventually, and everything you achieved in game will be gone.

then i guess i don't see the problem expect for all the bugs we get tho you get bugs in every mmo still i would be pissed if they redid the game on a new engine cause that means the years i spent playing is for nothing unless they redo more than just the engine

Well either its gonna shut down due to the engine or their lack of quality after launch care. At least if they redo the engine its not a guarantee youd lose your progress and i know that i would happily start over for a better engine. And a better engine would habe as many bugs cause they arent so hard to code

Not to rub it in but .... the years you spend playing IS for nothing.

One day the servers will shut down, they all do eventually, and everything you achieved in game will be gone.

i understand that i just ment if they make you start over if they would redo the engine

i understand that i just ment if they make you start over if they would redo the engine

Not necessarily theres a chance they could make the player database function with a new or upgraded engine. Like i said it would be worth it to start over knowing it increased the overall longevity of the game

You are right. Engine is everthing.

And now, here are solutions for the perfect non lagging game of year.

for you, if your PC is pretty old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4zf6JKL8eo minecraft, no lagging for me, never

http://cnlab.kaist.ac.kr/papers/hyms.pdf so many paper, so much to read.

Its all more than just the engine ^^

Do you all have computer science degrees? Also do any of you have any clue how to program? Also its not the engine that is the issue. ESO and many others newer MMOs are using the hero engine. If it was that bad you would think not one other dev would use it. Hero engine has some of the most powerful Dev tools out there. More L2P issues here once again. Just heal to full while you cry.

Do you all have computer science degrees? Also do any of you have any clue how to program? Also its not the engine that is the issue. ESO and many others newer MMOs are using the hero engine. If it was that bad you would think not one other dev would use it. Hero engine has some of the most powerful Dev tools out there. More L2P issues here once again. Just heal to full while you cry.

talking about "knowing what you're talking about"....I guess you missed the part where the Hero Engine BioWare is using was purchased cheap and incomplete and BioWare HAD to HEAVILY modify this incomplete engine in order to make SWTOR....

..in other words the engine SWTOR is using is not anything like the Hero Engine currently out there much less like the one(s) being used by those other companies you mention.

Is a bachelor of science enough? Pretty sure eso will fail and btw it didnt use an alpha engine thats why swtor lags the fundamental code wastnt tested enough to warrant being base code structure. Network functioanility needs to be done by extremely specialized network engineers

If it has some uber dev tools why does it take insane amounts of time to put out bug ridden half arsed content? Doesnt seem very streamlined to me. If ts that great why also can it not incorporate par for the course features like new particle systems or direct x.

If its as good as you say that just makes the dev look more inept. When did you program your last game on it? Maybe my bad but i just go by what everyone in the dev community says sorry for not beleiving a forum

talking about "knowing what you're talking about"....I guess you missed the part where the Hero Engine BioWare is using was purchased cheap and incomplete and BioWare HAD to HEAVILY modify this incomplete engine in order to make SWTOR....

..in other words the engine SWTOR is using is not anything like the Hero Engine currently out there much less like the one(s) being used by those other companies you mention.

He also missed the part where ESO is NOT using the Hero Engine.