Do you Demand an Apology from BioWare?

paulters

No one is 'downloading the wrong thing'. The launcher update goes off and breaks stuff all on it's own the moment you launch it.

Like I said, mine took all of 20 seconds or less and is working just fine. So either your launcher is trying to DL the wrong thing or you had something else wrong in your game client that is screwing it up. To say it is going off breaking other things just isn't necessarily true.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of wasting my breath they have accepted that it is the launcher that is the problem. They just don't understand what has gone wrong or how to fix it. If you don't have the post July 31st streamed launcher you are probably okay.

The new one updates, fails to verify the files and starts downloading all over again ad infinitum. The workaround we have been given is to force the use of the old patcher system not the streamed one and this by necessity also forces a full reinstall without the streamed patcher system.

None of us are doing this for the fun of it.

To repeat - the streamed patcher launcher is broken. They admit it themselves. They just have no idea what to do about it yet.

Edited by tagos

Wow. Just wow. When almost everyone is having the same problem it's probably on their end.

that would me mostly correct. after seeing the rage-spasms... i unzipped my 2.3.3 backup and my 2.3.2 backups and they worked fine. they updated the launcher 1st, then the game from each level to current.

seems fine so far. /me wonders about custom UI/s or custom folders created by users messing up the checksums/hash or some oddity.

Well cat - as you are so clever perhaps you'd better contact Customer Support and the Devs as they seem to think it is their problem. I'm sure they'll be so pleased. They'll probably feel a little stupid but that's the price they pay for not being so awesome I guess. Edited by tagos

What is this downloading issue? I have never had an issue with downloading...maybe there is something in common with the people that do? I have the Standard Launcher and it seems to work fine. Someone said the Streaming one is broke, I would try switching to the standard one...it seems to work just fine.

An apology is a perfectly reasonable request when an update breaks a service you are using. Only larger corporations that work with their customers at a remove seem to think they are above apologizing for this kind of stuff. If you own a small business and something you do negatively affects your customer, you apologize, because that's the decent thing to do. Sometimes you even offer them some small token of appreciation for their loyalty during the time they were without service, to make them feel like you aren't just blowing smoke up their ***.

*disclaimer: I have not experienced this bug, do not need an apology, do not want a boon. Doesn't affect the principle of the matter one bit.

Seriously mate? You blame BW for you poor download speed? I understand there are alot of things to be said about this game that is not nice, but this it not one of them.

Granted it takes time to download the game, but then again it is quite a large game.

A little under 4 hours is the time I have to wait for a complete game download and install, and thats ok with me. Besides its not like one has to download the game every day.

So no, I dont demand any apology, and you sir, should consider getting yourself e better download speed somehow and quit crying about something that is out of BW control.

Actually, you can be on the backbone itself. It doesn't matter what YOUR connection is. Since Bioware is throttling the d/l speed, it has nothing at all to do with anyone's connection. Keep reading your "Time Warner Cable' book.

An apology is a perfectly reasonable request when an update breaks a service you are using. Only larger corporations that work with their customers at a remove seem to think they are above apologizing for this kind of stuff. If you own a small business and something you do negatively affects your customer, you apologize, because that's the decent thing to do. Sometimes you even offer them some small token of appreciation for their loyalty during the time they were without service, to make them feel like you aren't just blowing smoke up their ***.

*disclaimer: I have not experienced this bug, do not need an apology, do not want a boon. Doesn't affect the principle of the matter one bit.

This isn't a "perfectly reasonable request" This is a DEMAND! There is a difference.

/me wonders about custom UI/s or custom folders created by users messing up the checksums/hash or some oddity.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

I don't know if that is a contributor here or not.. but I learned years ago to never mess with a games install, even if it appears to be benign to do so. Today's "benign" can be tomorrows "malignancy"... because the devs work to a specific install structure and if you tinker with it (even just changing the loading screen graphics) you are inviting a future beating at the hands of the launcher IMO.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

I don't know if that is a contributor here or not.. but I learned years ago to never mess with a games install, even if it appears to be benign to do so. Today's "benign" can be tomorrows "malignancy"... because the devs work to a specific install structure and if you tinker with it (even just changing the loading screen graphics) you are inviting a future beating at the hands of the launcher IMO.

Indeed. WoW was that way. And it was MEANT to have addons and mods... one day fine... next day your deleting your cache and all your *** folders and loosing all you settings in a reset :p

Edited by captpickles

This is why having backups of the swtor install on many different pc laptop, desktop and my usb hard drive. I can run the installer on my usb hard drive on any pc install the update and copy the hole swtor folder in 35min and back online and fixed. I had this happen with to many MMO in the past.

And....what i mean is people who have yet to have the problem solved with the downloading problem...some are sitting on 7,8,9 and god knows 10 hours. I know we won't get it but...it is sure worth a try and my last note Would you demand an Apology from BioWare

An apology given in response to a demand for one is not an apology.

To take the thread seriously:

I think an apology is silly.

However a solid company would acknowledge the issue, assist the community in a resolution, and compensate it's player base for making an error like this.

It's one thing to have an issue, it is entirely another to leave your customers in the dark after having taken their money.

don't tempt them. They may start to vote....

Or a petition! They will start a petition and 14 people will answer it. It will have all kinds of cool choices like:

1. I want an apology

2. I really want an apology

3. Bioware promised me a pony

4. WHERE IS MY PONY

That will show Bioware who is boss.

Edited by Arkerus