About Quinn [SPOILERS]

Rafaelfl

WHAT?

WHAT?

WHAT?

He BETRAYS a SITH LORD and survives? What the hell has got into your minds?

Yes, I understand that being imperial means that I'll face treason sooner or later, but being imperial also means THAT I GET TO KILL THOSE WHO ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO BOTH:

A) Betray me

and

B) Fail

There is absolutely no possible imaginable reason to keep him alive. Hell, when I saw he was betraying me I was upset cause I was losing my healer. AND THEN HE SURVIVES? IT'S EVEN WORSE

If you wanted me to feel sith anger, you succeded.

You also managed to completely destroy the story which was good so far.

I just can't understand why you would add that and then make it have no consequence whatsoever

IF you remove that completely from the plot it would have been so much better.

EIther remove it or give me an option to end is life with some gore cinematics. If you can't, just let me choke him in a less satisfying way. But don't do what you have done.

If you're concerned about balance send me a generic captain companion or something. But don't destroy the plot for nothing like you did.

I suspect you changed your mind or something, but then remove it completely. That was a job half-done, and for a sith lord a half-done job is a completely failed one.

Originally they were going to allow you to kill off companions permanently but people are whining idiots and complained about companion permadeath so they removed the ability to do that early on (think it was early in the beta).

No it doesn't make any sense from a canon standpoint but from a gameplay standpoint Quinn is your only healer so that probably played into the decision as well.

What they should have done (if they really, really didn't want us to kill him):

"Sure, I will spare your life." *CHOP!* His entire right arm gets severed, and has to live with a cybernetic replacement from that point forward.

This does several things. 1. It allows the player some satisfaction of paying Quinn back for his betrayal. 2. It is a permanent reminder to Quinn of who is in charge, and how he's damn lucky to be alive. 3. It goes along with the Star Wars tradition of someone losing a limb in every story. 4. It doesn't mechanically change the game or the companion (especially if they say they used "synthflesh" on top of the arm).

The ball was dropped pretty hard on that plot point.

Edited by Jomero

Originally they were going to allow you to kill off companions permanently but people are whining idiots and complained about companion permadeath so they removed the ability to do that early on (think it was early in the beta).

No it doesn't make any sense from a canon standpoint but from a gameplay standpoint Quinn is your only healer so that probably played into the decision as well.

You are correct, in closed beta you could kill Quinn after the said mission but as always people whined and whined and BioWare decided to remove permanent deaths for companions.

Personally, I was looking forward to getting the cyborg set (except for the chest and head, I feel kinda meh about those) so I could say I beat the utter **** out of him. So, he's permanently injured, and has the RP-able look from taking that injury.....

my Jugg is 47 , DD and homiciding Corellia atm.

I never pulled Quinn yet, not for a single fight.

I´m on the hunt for the revived Lord Draag and Baras now which might be hard to beat at 47 without heal so that i might go for lvl 50 before..but Quinn, never.

The only chance he gets some air is when I want to punish him via my Race-ability.

I have an extensive background story of my character that goes into depth as to why Quinn did what he did. For my character it wasn't so much betrayal, he was being controlled by Baras. When I nearly killed him, Baras's control left Quinn's mind sensing his imminent death. It goes on from there, but that was my explanation that I could live with because I personally love Quinn

I like the fact that somebody would choose to kill Quinn and then react in shock and anger to the fact that he's dead. Actually as much as I like that from a Nelson "HA! HA!" view, it sort of scares me as well.

"What?!?! You mean this guy I killed is dead and can't adventure with me anymore?!?!?"

:tran_tongue:

My real complaint was that it was a missed opportunity for real drama. In my game I am informed that we have a traitor and five minutes later that traitor was revealed. It would have been much better if that played out over the whole chapter. That said the Sith Warrior was a very good storyline, top notch writing all around so this is a minor quibble at best.

People in Beta complained after they made the choice to kill:

Malavai Quinn

Lord Scourge

Kaliyo D'jannis

obviously getting rid of this decision was a bad idea.

Scourge and Kal are two of my favorite companions in this whole game, lol. I wish Scourge was romanceable.

I really wish companion deaths were left in. Just replace the dead comp with a mercenary/droid of the same class type.

If that day ever comes Quinn will be the first thrown out the airlock.

Now that they have companions that can be purchased, maybe they should revisit companion deaths. The prerequesite should be that you have BOTH additional companions (HK-51 and Treek). Maybe even tie it into Bounty week. And once the companion is gone, they're gone. You want them back, you reroll.

I would purchase Treek just for the opportunity to punt Risha, Qyzen and Vette. I'd keep Quinn because he has chutzpah for what he did (to misquote some Hutt, "fearless and inventive scum"), and my ship needs its Arnold J. Rimmer wannabe. :D

Actually, I think the whole story is that the original design (as in earlier betas) was that companions could be outfitted with different skillsets, depending on your needs. So even if you killed a character, you wouldn't really lose anything of value, because the companions roles were interchangable.

Somewhere down the line though, they first decided that companions should have distinct (and unique) combat roles, "to give them more character" or something like that. This was the change that came first, and after it, it made sense to remove companion deaths, because it wasn't deemed feasible for players to be able to effictively permanently cripple their gameplay (through the loss of your healer) for rp reasons.

I for one, would love to see both changes reverted, because if there's one thing I would prefer over being able to kill quinn and get a robot replacement, it would be to be able to kill quinn and still use a real companion.

Oddly enough, Quinn seemed to think that he had been in a long and passionate romance with my marauder, even though she'd only flirted with him once, and hadn't even unlocked their third conversation.

Guess it made sense that he'd be loyal to Baras, when she hadn't even looked at him thrice, and continuing on that, it would make sense that he'd be loyal to her now, because she had done something that Baras could not and would not be able to top: spared his life.

Basically this. You can thank the whiny idiots that were in beta and complained that they didn't know they'd lose their healing companion if they killed Quinn. Because apparently they weren't paying attention to the story at all.

This was actually the case with a lot of companions. You could refuse to take them on or kill them, but people got upset at actually having to live with consequences of the choices they made so they complained and BioWare just made it so all companions are forced to be kept alive and on your ship. It's a poorer game for it, and I'd be willing to bet that the majority of those players aren't even around anymore. So we get to pay for their incompetence.

haha. yeah. You said he betrayed a sith and lived, and this is shocking. Well, Darth Vader trained Starkiller in Force Unleashed. Darth Sidious found out and was stricken, but he didn't kill Vader. Vader was his puppet afterall... Thus is the same with malavai Quinn I imagine. He is more loyal to you after you spared him, and if you have doubt in this, so what , you are a sith lord. You keep tabs on him from then on, suspecting another betrayel, while he remains basically enslaved to you. I dunno im trying to calm you down, you seem very upset lol. Thought i'd use a previous star wars example with a bit of saucy psychology.

• 2 weeks later...

I assumed he would be executed as part of the 'kill everyone who knows' part of the Storyline.

So imagine my surprise when he suddenly announces he wants to join me.

Sadly, he seems a more useful companion than Vette, so for the moment I am having to let him trail along with me.

I have gained a number of other companions with other Characters (different Classes) and so far, this is the first one I didn't feel should be joining as a companion - or even allowed to live.

If I can get some better equipment for Vette, he will get banished to the ship - in storage :)

• 2 weeks later...