Thought: Buff Trauma

SlightlySychotic

So, like a few others, I've noticed that there is a slight . . . healer issue present with the current state of PvP. Since nobody likes a nerf (especially since it might impact PvE as well) I thought it might be better to instead buff another class' abilities, specifically trauma. Why trauma? Well, because I believe trauma to be a primarily PvP-oriented debuff. Yes, there are enemies in PvE that heal but no bosses and most are better handled with interrupts. Trauma, therefore, is much more practical for PvP use and could really stand to be more useful.

Before I go on, let me be clear that I am not suggesting that all of these ideas be adopted together (with the exception of what I will suggest in the next paragraph). I am well aware that if trauma were to be granted all of these traits they would make healing impossible. I don't want that. What I do want is for healers to have to be more proactive; that when somebody comes at them with an anti-healer they have to try hard to survive and/or keep their team alive.

The one idea that I believe must be implemented to make this work is that at least two more advanced classes need to be granted trauma abilities to help balance things out. Otherwise, two classes that some might already consider to be overpowered might become more powerful, resulting in people calling for nerfs to those classes in turn. I would suggest PT/Vanguards and Sins/Shadows, seeing as they are incapable of healing and it would grant trauma capabilities to at least one AC for each class. I am not suggesting that these classes be granted new abilities; the trauma debuff could be applied to pre-existing abilities, either inherently or through the talent tree. The only caveat should be that the ability should have at least a 5-10 second cool down timer to prevent players from spamming the debuff.

• Increase the percentage of healing Trauma mitigates. Currently, Trauma only mitigates 20% of healing. That's a pittance, in PvE or PvP, and needs to be increased. I would suggest raising it to 40% or 60% to make it more worthwhile.
  • Any non-channeled Heal Over Time (HoT) should tick slower in equal percentage to the amount of health mitigated during the duration of trauma.
  • Trauma should function as an "anti-cleanse. Any non-channeled HoT should be wiped from the target, forcing them to be reapplied.
  • In addition to the preceding suggestion no non-channeled HoTs should be able to be applied for the first half of Trauma's duration. Again, the point of most of these ideas is that it forces the healer to stop and pay attention rather than just mindless going through his rotation.

Obviously, trauma should be something that can be cleansed so that observant healers have a counter -- but a counter with an equivalent cool down and a fair energy cost. I should also mention that I have no idea If trauma stacks, largely because so few people use it, it's underpowered, and only two ACs can use it. Most of my ideas assume that it cannot be, however. In any case, I fully admit that these ideas are generalizations and would need to be tested before implementation.

Yes, I am well aware that most of these ideas would impact Op/Scoundrel healers. We don't see many people complaining about Merc and Sage healers, do we? Besides, I don't believe these changes would cripple Op healers so much as it would bring them down in line with the other two.

Increase the percentage of healing Trauma mitigates. Currently, Trauma only mitigates 20% of healing. That's a pittance, in PvE or PvP, and needs to be increased. I would suggest raising it to 40% or 60% to make it more worthwhile.

http://www.torhead.com/ability/ascyK3i/trauma-pvp

Any non-channeled Heal Over Time (HoT) should tick slower in equal percentage to the amount of health mitigated during the duration of trauma.

If it stops the QQing, sure.

Trauma should function as an "anti-cleanse. Any non-channeled HoT should be wiped from the target, forcing them to be reapplied.[/b]

No cleanse? Ok but in return if trauma is active you dps can't stack debuffs/DoTs. Only 1 cleansable DoT (not of each type, just 1).

In addition to the preceding suggestion no non-channeled HoTs should be able to be applied for the first half of Trauma's duration. Again, the point of most of these ideas is that it forces the healer to stop and pay attention rather than just mindless going through his rotation.

I will agree to every stipulation you just put out, if you agree to just one of mine. You are not allowed to mark targets in PvP or I know when I am marked and I can cleanse it (or something similar). After all, we are constantly targeted and get attacked by 2-3 players at once, if we can't even heal ourselves, you gotta give us something.

Any of one those changes would be far too powerful alone. If a healer has no chance keeping someone up under focus fire.....well, there's little point in bringing a healer against effective teams.

Trauma should continue to be rare.

A slight increase in trauma (to 30%?) would be okay. 40% would be okay only if the duration of trauma were drastically reduced -- it'd make it a big burst cooldown, but a survivable one. Currently, trauma lasts 15s or 9s. Cut duration to 6s, increase trauma ability cooldowns to 20-30s.

Edited by stringcat

Better solution would be to make trauma stack but with diminished returns and a hard cap:

1 trauma = -25% heals

2 trauma = -40% heals

3 trauma = -50% heals

4 trauma = -60% heals

Cap at 60% with 4 trauma. In arenas, if we see more than 2 trauma that team has gimped their build with no tank.

The logic would be to make trauma more effective but not create to massive of an imbalance that any class that cant do trauma would be worthless as dps.

Though giving trauma skills to the dps trees of other classes may be a knee jerk solution, that would then be taking away the edge that the pure dps have now.

I personally am very happy with dps as it is now, but with the mechanics of killing a crosshealed guarded healer in a stalemate match... well, that's why ranked is really dead.

Trauma could use a little buff maybe, but the issues right now are deeper. The devs need to take a look at the mechanics of real "competitive" play in its current state. It is a ridiculous ball of pewpewpew shingshing chase the healer around every obstacle match of who gets most bored/tired/sloppy/impatient first. It is the opposite of fun. It's frustrating.

Maybe in 4v4, without the crosshealing, everything will be better. We will see.

Yeah, I can verify that is out of date. Just loaded up my Sentinel and crippling throw only applies trauma for 20%. Didn't check my Sniper, but if it's different then it really shouldn't be.

No cleanse? Ok but in return if trauma is active you dps can't stack debuffs/DoTs. Only 1 cleansable DoT (not of each type, just 1).

I think you misunderstand. Trauma would only cleanse non-channeled HoTs. It wouldn't touch buffs or anything else. I also said later on that you should absolutely be able to cleanse it from yourself.

I will agree to every stipulation you just put out, if you agree to just one of mine. You are not allowed to mark targets in PvP or I know when I am marked and I can cleanse it (or something similar). After all, we are constantly targeted and get attacked by 2-3 players at once, if we can't even heal ourselves, you gotta give us something.

Umm, no? The problem at the moment is that two people can be attacking an Op healer and it barely slows them down. Even with my proposed suggestions, a capable Op healer should be able to defend himself until help arrives.

Any of one those changes would be far too powerful alone. If a healer has no chance keeping someone up under focus fire.....well, there's little point in bringing a healer against effective teams.

I disagree. It would force healers to be more reliant on their channeled heals, forcing them to plant their feet and become vulnerable to interrupts.

I should probably mention that I do play a scoundrel healer. I'm well aware how I would counter everything I've written down, and at what point I should be in trouble. And just to supplement this, we still have flash bangs, stealth escapes, and dash rolls; we have plenty of counters to a trauma buff.

Yeah, I can verify that is out of date. Just loaded up my Sentinel and crippling throw only applies trauma for 20%. Didn't check my Sniper, but if it's different then it really shouldn't be.

I recently had trauma and it definitely reduced me by 35%. However, I don't remember whether it was a duel or a wz (I only dueled a marauder, a smasher jugg and a pyro merc recently). I will pay closer attention and confirm this.

Umm, no? The problem at the moment is that two people can be attacking an Op healer and it barely slows them down. Even with my proposed suggestions, a capable Op healer should be able to defend himself until help arrives.

If I (an op/sorc healer) can easily kill another op healer with one dps then chances are the 2 dps you described are in PvE gear with less than 1400 expertise, completely unaugmented. Or that healer is guarded in which case the tank is the problem.

But I digress, if healers (all healers not just op healers) get such a huge debuff why is an ability to cleanse a marker bad? It would make more sorc healers viable.

Edited by sithBracer

I disagree. It would force healers to be more reliant on their channeled heals, forcing them to plant their feet and become vulnerable to interrupts.

I should probably mention that I do play a scoundrel healer. I'm well aware how I would counter everything I've written down, and at what point I should be in trouble. And just to supplement this, we still have flash bangs, stealth escapes, and dash rolls; we have plenty of counters to a trauma buff.

Healers have to use their channeled heals in arenas. Even op healers. I'm not concerned about healer survivability; I'm concerned about their ability to keep anyone up against two coordinated DPS (much less two-and-a-half DPS for some arena comps), even freecasting. Buff trauma too much ,and it would be far too easy to just ignore the healer and pile burst on a DPS target.

If that's optimal, healers are pointless.

Edited by stringcat

This thread and it's OP are a joke. Ignore and let die please.

If you really think that this is a good suggestion you have no clue about the current state of the game.

No, I don't play a healer.

<3 from a person who loves healing and still wants to be useful.

This would make healing pointless, regardless of which healing class it is. It'd make more sense to just bring another dps.

And even operatives have to channel in arenas. HoTs and surgical probe won't be enough. Right now, the only viable healer in arenas are operatives because they have survivbility, can avoid getting interrupted and have enough energy to actually heal constantly for the full 5 minutes (which all three should be able to do since a dps is expected to do damage for the whole 5 minutes). They aren't OP in arenas because people still obviously die even with great healers like Melyn. The merc and sorcerer need help in their healing trees to be truly viable at the top level of arena play. This trauma buff would make any team running maras and snipers be able to drop a dps regardless of heals and guard as well as completely destroying any hope of sorc and merc healers.

Edited by PhatMcMuffins

If you buff the healing debuff that

1) Promotes stacking marauders and snipers to have perma trauma

2) makes other classes even more inferior to said classes

As I said, these changes would be precluded by two other ACs being granted trauma abilities. No more, no less. That is NOT a negotiable aspect to the overall plan for precisely the reasons you mentioned.

If I (an op/sorc healer) can easily kill another op healer with one dps then chances are the 2 dps you described are in PvE gear with less than 1400 expertise, completely unaugmented. Or that healer is guarded in which case the tank is the problem.

I don't think I'm wrong when I say that PvP should not exclusively cater to the min/max crowd. That's a non-starter.

Also, from all the whining I've read about bolster I thought PvE gear was overpowered anyway.

Concerning the tank, I have one of those as well and I can tell you that Sorc and Merc healer require baby sitting. An Op with guard is damn near invincible. Again, these ideas are aimed at bringing Ops in line with the other two healing types.

Healers have to use their channeled heals in arenas. Even op healers. I'm not concerned about healer survivability; I'm concerned about their ability to keep anyone up against two coordinated DPS (much less two-and-a-half DPS for some arena comps), even freecasting. Buff trauma too much ,and it would be far too easy to just ignore the healer and pile burst on a DPS target.

Again, I specifically said that these ideas should be applied piecemeal. I am NOT advising that they increase the healing debuff AND slow how often HoTs tick AND cleanse any HoTs AND prevent any new HoTs from applied, and I am certainly not advising that these effects stack. What I am suggesting is that these ideas all be tested, and if they work implemented on the live servers.

Well-timed cleanses would be just as important as well timed traumas. As long as you time the cool downs correctly you would be fine.

As I said, these changes would be precluded by two other ACs being granted trauma abilities. No more, no less. That is NOT a negotiable aspect to the overall plan for precisely the reasons you mentioned.

I don't think I'm wrong when I say that PvP should not exclusively cater to the min/max crowd. That's a non-starter.

Also, from all the whining I've read about bolster I thought PvE gear was overpowered anyway.

Concerning the tank, I have one of those as well and I can tell you that Sorc and Merc healer require baby sitting. An Op with guard is damn near invincible. Again, these ideas are aimed at bringing Ops in line with the other two healing types.

Again, I specifically said that these ideas should be applied piecemeal. I am NOT advising that they increase the healing debuff AND slow how often HoTs tick AND cleanse any HoTs AND prevent any new HoTs from applied, and I am certainly not advising that these effects stack. What I am suggesting is that these ideas all be tested, and if they work implemented on the live servers.

Well-timed cleanses would be just as important as well timed traumas. As long as you time the cool downs correctly you would be fine.

No. Commando/Merc healers don't need another nerf.

Then there wouldn't be a point of having them even in regs

No. Commando/Merc healers don't need another nerf.

Then there wouldn't be a point of having them even in regs

Oh, let me abundantly clear: Mercmando healers need a huge buff. I know that and I don't even play one. I know that, you know that, dogs know that. God willing they have one on the way. Mercmandos need a buff, Smash monkeys need a nerf, and something needs to be done to Voidstar to stop all the gridlock. I am by no means suggesting that this would fix all of PvPs problems. I am only suggesting this because the only other option I see coming is a massive, across the board nerf for Op healers that's likely going to affect PvE too. Buffing trauma seems far less painless to me.

Cool story Bro, but how about no?

No nerfing, people just need to l2p. Healers are now easy to shut down, problem is that most people don't even try to kill them.

My last match, reinforcement medal for a warm welcome, enemy team has 2 healers, my only one, marked and smashed into the ground every time he spawn. Opposing healers are meanwhile healing like crazy. I'm trying to at least take one of them down, with no help or what's so ever. When asked on Ops chat while no body is helping me I get a reply "coz cross healing". Match ends, our healer - top healing with half done to himself. Enemy healers - both had 80k dmg taken. Cross healing....

If you Op want to defend those muppets be my guest. But at least don't say this is a bad mechanic or lack of the class balance.

Edited by MasterBLASTERpl

lol yeah let's buff marauders and snipers! T.T

Yet another person who doesn't read.

How about just tone down healing inside warzones or areas affected by Bolster? Don't need to nerf op/scoundrels, needs to buff Sage/Sorc and Merc/Mando.

Healing problem solved.

Could work and I do like the idea in theory. I did say that Mercs definitely need a buff. The issue is that changing the classes that way also affects PvE. We don't want to trivialize Operations just to bring Sage/Sorcs and Mercmandos up to par with Scops in PvE. (Although, backpedaling a bit, Mercmandos need a PvE buff to boot, really.)

Yet another person who doesn't read.

Could work and I do like the idea in theory. I did say that Mercs definitely need a buff. The issue is that changing the classes that way also affects PvE. We don't want to trivialize Operations just to bring Sage/Sorcs and Mercmandos up to par with Scops in PvE. (Although, backpedaling a bit, Mercmandos need a PvE buff to boot, really.)

I don't like nerfs, unless it's 100% needed like Operative dps in 1.0.

A nerf to Operative heals would screw a lot of PVE guilds, a buff to sorc and merc would be very nice for everybody.

If Bioware just implement with bolster like 20~30% less healing, I think it'd work.

My last match, reinforcement medal for a warm welcome, enemy team has 2 healers, my only one, marked and smashed into the ground every time he spawn. Opposing healers are meanwhile healing like crazy. I'm trying to at least take one of them down, with no help or what's so ever. When asked on Ops chat while no body is helping me I get a reply "coz cross healing". Match ends, our healer - top healing with half done to himself. Enemy healers - both had 80k dmg taken. Cross healing....

And in my last match I played my tank, guarded an Op, and, yes, I baby sat a bit. She died once and I died not all, only getting close in the few seconds it took her to respawn during which time I popped saber ward for the only time during the match. For the vast majority of the match, she had at least two people on her and more often than not three. The only time she died, there were four people (possibly five, I lost track in the scrum) on her and all of my taunts and stuns were on cooldown. I barely broke a sweat.

Yes, this other team might have sucked. Yes, two of the people attacking her were a tank and a healer and maybe their energy might have been better spent elsewhere. Still, three people beating on a Op -- even a guarded Op -- should be more than she and her tank can handle.