The One-shot-killing NPC and the Tauntauns from Hell - a case of very bad game design

ClavisN

So you get to go to a new base. New base means a new area, and a bunch of new quests.

So what do you do now? Well, first thing many of us do is explore the area surrounding the base.

Ah, some Tauntauns - cute as always. Ooops - they aggressive? Damn, have to kill them. Bzzz... What The Frig - the thing kicked me once and im half dead??? panic - ! run. Ok, I could outrun them. Heal. Now how to get back outr of here again ... maybe along that little ship? Uh, a guy with a gold star. Will have to run again. Run... WTFWTF - he pulls me back. Start running again. Bzzz - dead. He killed me with one shot. One friggin shot.

xWTFx is this? Bioware?? Is that your idea of game design? I never stood a chance there - level 43 even, slightly over-leveled for Hoth, but this is just gross. Directly next to third base, no warning, no heroic area marking. You go in there, bzzt - you are dead. No chance to flee, no chance to fight.

It sucks. Whoever placed these guys there is seriously delusional; this is not how you design games. It used to be workable when they were level 50, but now its completely deadly.

How tro fix it? Best option - move the whole circus somewhere else, where unsuspecfing players dont stumble into it. Next best: switch Tauntauns for some known aggressive and dangerous creatures, and defang The Wolf. Take away his harpoon and his oneshot kill, so that there is a chance to get away alive.

Seriously - what were you thinking?

Edited by ClavisN

How is it bad game design that you didn't pay attention to what level the tauntaun was before you attacked it? I mean, it's pretty simple: you target it, it shows up with a big red "55" next to its portrait, you stay as far away from it as possible. Edited by Euphrosyne

Those are dig site zones came with Seeker droid (Star Forager/Dreadseed armors & GSI speeders) - not related to Tauntaun mounts.

Yes they are 55... not only on Hoth sites (3) - there is 2 such sites (with 55 mobs) on Alderaan & 1 without.

Tatooine sites have no such mobs but one of them is Outlaw den.

Makeb sites have usual Makeb mobs.

Actually, I believe he is talking about the Seeker Droid dig area; that one has level 55 Tauntauns and Wampas, as well as a champion NPC named "The Wolf".

This is my thought as well since those are the only level 55 enemies on Hoth I can think of aside from the Wampa that spawns for level 55 players doing the taun fawns luring. There's a few dig areas and only one has you pass through a Heroic area to reach, so s/he probably stumbled upon one of the open dig sites, which have elites (gold star), and s/he wasn't paying attention to the world around him/her. I did that once before reaching level 55 on a character, I ran right through some level 55 mobs that had been added to an area on Alderaan and I wasn't paying attention at first, as soon as I realize their level I was out of there.

This happened to me after coming back to the game after an absence of some months. Unaware of seeker droids or level 55 animals on a level 40-something planet I blundered into these Tauntauns and they kicked my backside.

How humiliating. Beaten up by Tauntauns.

However, rather than run crying to the forums I just had a good laugh about it and made a mental note to be a bit more aware of my surroundings in future, as the game had obviously changed, and not everything was quite how I remembered it.

So you get to go to a new base. New base means a new area, and a bunch of new quests.

So what do you do now? Well, first thing many of us do is explore the area surrounding the base.

Ah, some Tauntauns - cute as always. Ooops - they aggressive? Damn, have to kill them. Bzzz... What The Frig - the thing kicked me once and im half dead??? panic - ! run. Ok, I could outrun them. Heal. Now how to get back outr of here again ... maybe along that little ship? Uh, a guy with a gold star. Will have to run again. Run... WTFWTF - he pulls me back. Start running again. Bzzz - dead. He killed me with one shot. One friggin shot.

xWTFx is this? Bioware?? Is that your idea of game design? I never stood a chance there - level 43 even, slightly over-leveled for Hoth, but this is just gross. Directly next to third base, no warning, no heroic area marking. You go in there, bzzt - you are dead. No chance to flee, no chance to fight.

It sucks. Whoever placed these guys there is seriously delusional; this is not how you design games. It used to be workable when they were level 50, but now its completely deadly.

How tro fix it? Best option - move the whole circus somewhere else, where unsuspecfing players dont stumble into it. Next best: switch Tauntauns for some known aggressive and dangerous creatures, and defang The Wolf. Take away his harpoon and his oneshot kill, so that there is a chance to get away alive.

Seriously - what were you thinking?

The last few time I've been there, the floor hasn't been littered with corpses of the under leveled . So this must be your bad choice not bad design.

If a Mob is more than 5 levels higher than you, expect to get your arse handed to you. Hopefully you have learnt a valuable lesson. Although as you posted in the forum may be not!

Most people just make a bee line for where the quest tells them to go, not just indiscriminately attack mobs without checking their level.

You kinda got what was coming to you, "adventurer"

Ah, some Tauntauns - cute as always. Ooops - they aggressive? Damn, have to kill them.

Did you see that they were 55 but try to kill them anyway :rak_02:

Edited by Joesixxpack