How are shadows performing in Warzones?

LordBanjax

At lvl 23 I can 1v1 people 20 lvls higher. Doing pretty well IMO. Not very good in larger groups though. Shadows (not tanked spec) are squiiiiishy!

This. Tank shadows arent that good either. They can be very annoying and can help a team with utility but your damage is really terrible. That said taunting people, pulling people, stunning etc is all very fun.

Edited by AlmightyAsh

As a tank spec'd shadow I have the feeling many people regard me as an easy target. With a good healer on my back I feel like I can take out the whole enemy team. Most of the times I have the most medals either of my team or in the whole warzone and not just for dealing damage but mostly for doing objectives and protecting people. Stealthing near the enemy goal line in Huttball and waiting for a deadly pass is just great :D

I'm level 22 and Inf. Specced. The important thing is to KNOW YOUR ROLL, even in warzones. An inf. specced shadow should be cutting off their lines, taking out healers in the back, staying away from the aoe nighmare. I can easily have a good round of dying maybe 3 times max without a healer, if I'm doing my job and killing the loners. The shadow is a loner mans class or at most, hanging out with another shadow. Most shadows I see are top 5 dps and I am heavily specced into Burst so I always have the biggest crit. hit. That being said, it's hard for me to take down a healer who knows what they are doing 1v1 so I would take some suggestions on that.

I'm 27 infiltration and honestly they can hit very very hard. I tend to open with 2 shadow strikes then Force breach and 9/10 there at 25% health. Once you get your in combat stealth its great to get out of a tight spot. There good to ninja a door bomb or to cap a point. Good ball carrier in huttball. Just dont waste your cc in huttball till you have to. There more of a 1v1 class in pvp tho. In large groups if you have a healer you could really hurt people. Play smart and you wont die when you dont have to. Remember you basically dictate who you attack. Personally I rolled them cause I find them really dangerous in world pvp or something like ilum. Edited by DeathShaddow

I'm level 22 and Inf. Specced. The important thing is to KNOW YOUR ROLL, even in warzones. An inf. specced shadow should be cutting off their lines, taking out healers in the back, staying away from the aoe nighmare. I can easily have a good round of dying maybe 3 times max without a healer, if I'm doing my job and killing the loners. The shadow is a loner mans class or at most, hanging out with another shadow. Most shadows I see are top 5 dps and I am heavily specced into Burst so I always have the biggest crit. hit. That being said, it's hard for me to take down a healer who knows what they are doing 1v1 so I would take some suggestions on that.

As far as healers go, know what their heals look like on cast bar. Interupt it, but don't fall for any fake cast (so only interrupt if they are under half health, which they generally are if you get the drop on them almost immediatly). Save your force stun for the kill and don't be afraid to use force wave as a second intterupt. I honestly destroy healers, between intterupts, CC, and the insane burst I put out they cannot keep up.

Also, back on topic, I love my shadow. I'm generally top damage or top 3 in every warzone and I die less than 5 times total in my average warzone. Shadows are not as squishy (Inf speced here, aka dps) as people think especially later on when they get their cooldowns. Between my 50% bubble, force speed, and my vanish I can usually get out of any bad situation and recover.

But what a lot of people are saying about the Shadow being a lone wolf is mostly true, I even find myself lone wolfing the ball in hutt ball when my team refuses to pass like pros. There is no better class than a Shadow at taking objectives either, in almost every Voidstar I play I plan the bomb on all 3 doors almost uncontested if I do it right and also get the data core, in Alderran I generally ninja cap several bases by myself.

I also don't fear any single class 1v1, there are some that give me trouble (I'm looking at you Pyrotech BH and Vangaurd Trooper) but I can usually take them if I play well.

This. Tank shadows arent that good either. They can be very annoying and can help a team with utility but your damage is really terrible. That said taunting people, pulling people, stunning etc is all very fun.

This is false. You aren't doing uber hits like an infiltration but a kinetic combat shadow is still lethal in PvP. I can take a lot of damage as well and also deal it out quite effectively. Also put a lot of control down by reducing damage, soaking up damage as well as making enemies have a tougher time hitting. On top of that the defensives plus stealth.

Agreed with Neodeity. Flank them and give everyone else a chance to control the masses. Take out the pesky IA's also, they deal serious damages to groups so even if it's a fight you are going to lose 1 on 1 distracting them for the 15 seconds and getting them to retreat makes a huge difference to your mates.

With that being said do not expect much glory. Shadow's are an important part of a warzone group but what you do goes relatively unnoticed. If you want to be the big shot with all the mvp votes you picked the wrong class. You’re a shadow, you take pride in knowing that your team won because of your efforts and no one knows who you are. :cool:

Some posters may say otherwise, good for them if they can be the mvp's but I'm the guy keeping the range attackers from toasting them. I'm also speaking as a non-tank shadow, can't vouch for the tanks.

Well this is the deal whit shadow low lvl they are great but more you get close to 50 your damage is staying the same in warzones you get owned by low lvls any class and ye we all kknow we crit for bla bla well any other class can crit for more our damage is to low and hits to slow atm but we will see they might start fixing thing soon or we can hope anyway Edited by ljupko

Big pvper here and I've actually felt pretty powerful in warzomes the last couple of days. This is a combination of my skills improving and getting more talents. Also, the finisher we get in our early thirties helps immensely to finish fights (spinning strike).

Level 35

Valor 25

Infiltration

Big pvper here and I've actually felt pretty powerful in warzomes the last couple of days. This is a combination of my skills improving and getting more talents. Also, the finisher we get in our early thirties helps immensely to finish fights (spinning strike).

Level 35

Valor 25

Infiltration

^^ Spinnging strike is very important to this class, hardest hitting ability we have.

Currently level 33 tank spec at 23/0/1. Been spending more time in warzones and at the fleet than I do anywhere else; haven't even finished Alderaan class story yet.

If you're a tank shadow, do not expect to be noticed for mvp. Your overall damage might be in the top 3 of your team if you're lucky (assuming your team mates are competent), and same goes for your kills. But when you're duo defending Alderaan left, guarding your partner and taunting everyone to keep a 4-5 man rush off the cap long enough for reinforcements to arrive, the satisfaction of having done your job well is immense. Same goes for rushing 6-8 on a door in Void Star, keeping them off *just* long enough before you die for backup to arrive and do the rest.

If you play the shadow well, your personal score on the board might not stand out but that VICTORY is all you need to see.

These are good replies. I'm only a level 20 infiltration specced Shadow, and have been considering taking the big leap from PvE to PvP, but worried that with light armour and such we'd do really badly against other folk. I'm more a 'lone gunman' when I play the Heroics in PvE, which can be frustrating as most people you team with aren't aware of what a Shadow does, so tend to not let you get around behind the enemy before they start attacking, and I was worried the same would be true of PvP. Glad to see that (sometimes) that's not the case.

Tim

Edited by Timberley

Infiltration has ridiculous burst but is very squishy. Doesn't perform well in sustained fights without healer support or very good usage of defensive cds.

huh? im lvl42 with up to level equips and i feel all my skills can barely make a dent sometimes with all the extra work a shadow must do. Damage is too low for a dps spec class. Infiltration spec.

Balance seems to do better dmg from my experience.

Edited by Redsuns_

As Shadow I have an easy time getting Medals, getting an average of 8-9 Medals during a Warzone. However playing as a pure DPS only led me to an average of 6 but as soon as I started playing a DPS/Tank hybrid I easily broke up to 8-9 Medals on a average with a Infiltration spec.

Guarding healers, good use of Mind Control and Cooldown management gives you Protection Medals, increased survivability in trade for a small amount of DPS.

Get a healer to stay with you and you'll get some Immortal shoutouts (9 Medals without dying after getting your first Medal) from the commander ;)

I'm 27 infiltration and honestly they can hit very very hard. I tend to open with 2 shadow strikes then Force breach and 9/10 there at 25% health. Once you get your in combat stealth its great to get out of a tight spot. There good to ninja a door bomb or to cap a point. Good ball carrier in huttball. Just dont waste your cc in huttball till you have to. There more of a 1v1 class in pvp tho. In large groups if you have a healer you could really hurt people. Play smart and you wont die when you dont have to. Remember you basically dictate who you attack. Personally I rolled them cause I find them really dangerous in world pvp or something like ilum.

this is where you are doing it wrong. NEVER, and i mean really NEVER open with shadow strike, let alone using it twice. without proc it has terrible dmg and after 2 SS, you just sit there with your pants off, meaning no force, unable to do anything

huh? im lvl42 with up to level equips and i feel all my skills can barely make a dent sometimes with all the extra work a shadow must do. Damage is too low for a dps spec class. Infiltration spec.

Balance seems to do better dmg from my experience.

im level 45 with level 48 valor - trust me that every spec we have can hit like a truck.

this includes deep tank builds, which I play. first 1-40 valor I was deep infiltration. I do about teh same dmg. Its just noticed in different ways.

this is where you are doing it wrong. NEVER, and i mean really NEVER open with shadow strike, let alone using it twice. without proc it has terrible dmg and after 2 SS, you just sit there with your pants off, meaning no force, unable to do anything

i wouldnt say that.. my SS without proc crits for 2700....

There is no trick to that - its just gear setting which is relevant to your level. Lower level gear typically doesnt have "surge" stats on it, so your crit multipliers are low. Around level 30-40 you can start to picjk up surge gear which in turn really buffs the damage you can do across all specs. Also who you are attacking will affect what damage you do. Attacking lets say inquisitor will benifit you more than attacking w.eTF the sith version of a gaurdian is.

you are rarely out of force as deep infiltration. You have the 50% regen out of stealth for a short duration, = 110 FP total, you have an additional 10 FP from talent, you have a vanish wich reactivates your regen.. on a 1 min 30 sec cd, and you have blackout which activates regen for 6 sec.. you are RARELY out of force in infiltration. And in PVP if you cant make that kill with just a blackout cd and a rotation or 2 - then they are either being healed or RNG was just against you.

Edited by Stilleto