I do more damage as Scoundrel heals...than as Scoundrel DPS.

Uber_the_Goober

I've always heard that scoundrel/operative heals was the only spec worth doing. That DPS was a waste of time. I saw a couple really good operative dps own my arse, and I thought, "why not give it a try? mix it up a bit?"

I generally, as a fully heal specced scoundrel, will put up 100k - 200k damage and 200k - 400k heals, depending on the flow of the match. I don't play for top numbers, I heal priority targets, and yes, I've had 500k or 600k heal matches, but I couldn't care less that others put up more. I PvP for objectives and wins, and for FUN.

So I respecced my scoundrel to damage - the middle tree. What a waste of time...My damage actually went DOWN. I pulled one 400k damage match, and I swear it must have been a mistake or just some awful enemy players. I can't pull more than 150k on average, with almost no heals, because ain't nobody got time for a 3 second cast...I'm fully aware of the drop to cover>>sabotage charge simulcast followed up with backblast for a bigass hit. It's just not really any bigger than it is on my healy specced scoundrel.

So what's the deal here? Look I'm not bad at it. I know my tools, I know my abilities. Like I said I can pull damage #'s as a fully heal specced scoundrel. *** happened when I specced dps? I gained the knockdown with shoot first, and...sucker punch...and...that's about it. I'm only lvl 44, so I don't have flechette round yet, but I know it ain't gonna help that much.

Are these guys really gimped that badly?

You sound bad. On my level 25 Concealment Operative, even in losing WZ's, I will put up over 350k damage, 50k+ heals, and get in top 3 on the board. Yeah I got nothing. Healers have god-awful DPS, and I would know. And on a Scoundrel, shouldn't you be hitting at least 600k heals every match easy?

First, when you heal, you should basically just heal. Your damage shouldn't come anywhere close to the numbers mentioned, while your healing is about half what it should be. Second, the class's damage is fine, not putting up numbers with it is a L2P issue (or getting smashed to oblivion the second you open on anyone ever issue). Third, you don't even have FR? 30% armor pen and one of the hardest hitting dots in the game? That makes a HUGE difference in damage.

Huge fail

First, when you heal, you should basically just heal. Your damage shouldn't come anywhere close to the numbers mentioned, while your healing is about half what it should be. Second, the class's damage is fine, not putting up numbers with it is a L2P issue (or getting smashed to oblivion the second you open on anyone ever issue). Third, you don't even have FR? 30% armor pen and one of the hardest hitting dots in the game? That makes a HUGE difference in damage.

Huge fail

Well when everyone's at full health, I'm not gonna stand there like a derp and do nothing. I'm gonna kill me some imps.

"Your healing is about half what is should be" - that would be dictated by the outcome of the match, yes? So if we won, I healed just as much as I was supposed to heal. Like I said, I play objectives, and could care less about topping the heal numbers. It just seemed odd that my damage didn't improve when I specced for it, like it does when I play my sorc. My heal sorc is a 700k+ heal per match toon because the bubble's damage mitigation is tallied as heal points on the scoreboards. When I spec dps on the sorc, my numbers flip flop appropriately. It just doesn't seem to hold true on the scoundrel.

Operative / Scoundrel DPS has a very high skill curve. They are by no means a "****" dps class. Their numbers are very good when played correctly. They also parse extremely well. In terms of DPS, a middle tree lowbie operative 18 - 30 will put up easily 350k damage per warzone. You have to also consider that the bulk of their damage is kinetic and because of bolster, players have insane resistances to kintetic damage at those levels.

The top tier talent is when damage really starts to take off. Acid blade is essentially a free GCD attack. The armor penetration it provides is vital to doing great DPS.

Edited by JackNader

There is somewhat of a learning curve when it comes to the scrapper tree since it relies heavily on stealth and staying alive long enough to burn your target. FR is essential and is the most important skill for the scrapper since that is where the majority of your damage will come from. You want to have FR on your target as much as possible so keep back blast on cooldown and don't forget to restealth + shoot first if necessary, when burning down a healer.

100-200K damage as a healer is very high, though this is likely because you are still playing in the lowbie bracket. Any decent game will keep the healer under pressure and you won't have the time to dps.

I get around 200k damage when I heal also. You have limitless energy there is no reason you shouldn't toss out a vital shot or a sabo every now and again.

Anyway, 400k sounds about right for a Scrapper. You shouldn't even bother with Scrapper if you don't have Flechette round. Try Dirty Fighting.

Edited by Gren-Aluren

A huge stacking of useless fluff damage just because you live that longer as a healer.

DPS scoundrel/ops is all about the moment of opportunity. You can do that fluff damage tickling someone for the entire game and do 1 million damage, and that still won't mean anything against a real DPS scoundrel/op doing less than half that damage, but makes it perfectly sure that the player your team needs killed, will be killed, when he needs to be killed.

It's basically the same thing as balance/madness sage/sorcs doing ginormous amounts of fluff damage to all the enemies for all day long, and yet never really contributing to bringing down someone as sure and as fast as you'd expect from a class with a "DPS" title. TK/Lightning sage/sorcs typically only do 50~60% of what balance/madness puts up in the end-game scoreboard, but you can bet your both balls that the latter guarantees a much more impressive job -- provided you know how to handle the class, not like the dot-run-dot-run-dot-run... tickle him all day long crap.

The moment you bring up the end-game damage numbers, you're simply approaching this in the wrong way.

Operative / Scoundrel DPS has a very high skill curve. They are by no means a "****" dps class. Their numbers are very good when played correctly. They also parse extremely well. In terms of DPS, a middle tree lowbie operative 18 - 30 will put up easily 350k damage per warzone. You have to also consider that the bulk of their damage is kinetic and because of bolster, players have insane resistances to kintetic damage at those levels.

The top tier talent is when damage really starts to take off. Acid blade is essentially a free GCD attack. The armor penetration it provides is vital to doing great DPS.

Actually, the only thing needs to be considered is the fact that in any MMOG, the number one reason for deal loss -- the main element that makes you put out less statistical damage, is the time you spend moving around and not activating an attack skill. Melees and stationary cast/channel type ranged classes are particularly heavily effected by this. Conversely, it is also the reason why DoT heavy classes always put up ridiculously high damage numbers.

What this means is simple. End-game damage numbers are nothing more than a very loose guideline to how a player/class is performing, with so many gaping holes and totally deprived of context, that using those stats as a measure of comparing players or classes is a seriously stupid idea.

It's basically the same thing as balance/madness sage/sorcs doing ginormous amounts of fluff damage to all the enemies for all day long, and yet never really contributing to bringing down someone as sure and as fast as you'd expect from a class with a "DPS" title. TK/Lightning sage/sorcs typically only do 50~60% of what balance/madness puts up in the end-game scoreboard, but you can bet your both balls that the latter guarantees a much more impressive job -- provided you know how to handle the class, not like the dot-run-dot-run-dot-run... tickle him all day long crap.

The moment you bring up the end-game damage numbers, you're simply approaching this in the wrong way.

similar to Marksmanship vs Lethality (unless you happen to kill a lot of tanks)

Unless you are in one of those rare situations where your whole team is dealing damage but not taking any, you want to focus purely on healing. Sure you can act as healer - DPS hybrid, just like you do in lowbie PvP where you only have one healing ability anyway, it isn't really beneficial to your team when you have skill points that focus on healing, not killing.

Of course sometimes the damage output of our DPS slaves...I mean ehm, DPS team mates is a little sluggish, or when there is no one left to AOE the node or when the enemy ball carrier is nearing your goal line, one has to add a bit of damage at the expense of healing.

As far as Concealment - Medicine goes, Concealment has insane burst and pressure when played well. Perhaps the difference is that Concealment survivability is horrid, and a dead DPS doesn't really do damage whereas a healer has satisfactory survivability, and so can deal smaller, but sustained amounts of damage throughout the match.