Varactyl being in Cartel Pack - Opinions

WarbNull

I am curious as to everyone Opinions on BioWare placeing the Varactyl Mount in a Cartel Pack.

Are you for it or against it?

My opinion: I am against it. I have voiced my opinion on the Cartel Packs enough. My opinion on them is that they are basically Scams. But that is just me. So I think that putting a mount that is desired by so many, the Varactyl Mount, inside a Gambling Box is like a slap in the face to all players. (F2P and Subscribers.) Especially after giving us a Mount is such a way that was so perfect and reasonable then immediately mentioning in an EMail that the next one will be done in an entirely different way which could cost people a lot more and not even guarantee that the will get it when they try. It is a major difference in the way that they released the Taun Taun Mounts. There has been such favorable reviews on the way that the Taun Taun Mounts were released and I hope that BioWare sees that and takes it into consideration when releasing new mounts in the future.

Now I can understand BioWare's desire to want to make money and right now they are on this fixation with the Cartel Market and trying to make as much out of it as possible. I can even say that I knew that we would see Mounts in the Cartel Market. It was just a given with the direction that BioWare is going with this game. But I see this move as being a very disappointing move in the part of the Developers. I think that it would be a major mistake if they make this mount only able to be found in a Cartel Pack.

Now I know that people will say that many people will sell them on the GTN and I am fine with that as that is how it should be done for such rare items.

Now, with that in mind...

What I would like to see is that they give us more of an option to get a Varactyl than just trying to gamble for it with real money or waiting for it to show up on the GTN and paying an outrageous amount of credits for it.

Here is what I would like to see:

First I really would prefer it to be implemented just like the Taun Taun was and not have to deal with Cartel Packs at all.

If not that then I would not mind them giving us multiple versions of it. In fact they should give us multiple versions of it like they did with having two types of the Taun Taun. If they are really fixated on placing a Varactyl in a Cartel Pack then just make one version on the Cartel Pack as a very Rare Version but PLEASE give us a version that we can get a lot easier and more guaranteed. At the very least give us one that we can buy out right and even earn In-Game.

That is my opinion on what I would like to see for the Varactyl. I know that not everyone will agree with my opinions and I do not mind. I am just curious as to what everyone else thinks about it.

So again. What are your opinions on BioWare placing the Varactyl in a Cartel Pack?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might not be super rare. And if it is, give it a few new pack rotations and new mounts and it'll be cheap on the GTN. That first hover chair used to go for 4 million, now it's down to 500k (or less).

I'm ok with them putting things in the packs as long as they keep adding in other ways to get other cool mounts/speeders.

Edited by chuixupu

Cartel packs keep the lights on and the Veractyl doesnt do anything that any other mount doesn't do.

That, and I think they've already done right by us with the way they've implemented the Tauntaun.

The reality is that a few mounts are always going to end up in the packs, and a few directly on the CM - like the Solus Secant and CR-17 mounts.

It's a company, they need to make money or the lights go out like Jedip said, so there will always be a balance between the three ways of acquiring stuff (in-game, packs & direct purchase).

Edited by Callaron

are we sure they will be in the pack and not just released on the cartel market at the same time the pack is released?

The mail says "coming with the pack", so no, not really sure - it just seems to hint at it.

But why wait to find out when you can already start protesting it well ahead of time? :eek:

I'd rather it be released through the packs. Once I get my hands on one, then I can just use collections to unlock it for all of my other characters. Can't do that with the Tauntaun.

are we sure they will be in the pack and not just released on the cartel market at the same time the pack is released?

Check your email. The email that everyone received has a picture of the mount and says it is featured in the Freelancer's Bounty Pack.

I am curious as to everyone Opinions on BioWare placeing the Varactyl Mount in a Cartel Pack.

I'm fine with it.

Why? Because since November... we have been receiving some new mounts in game, and some via CM. And in the CM.. some from direct purchase and some from Cartel Packs. We just got the TaunTaun in game, and there is a new rare drop mount as well.. so I am not at all surprised to see the next animal mount coming from the Cartel Packs in the CM. And sometime after that we will probably see a new direct purchase mount in the CM and then in game.... rinse and repeat.. rinse and repeat.

People can rail and complain about the CM and Cartel Packs... but it's a waste of time and energy. This game went on a new business model in November of last year... 9 months ago. The game has thrived and done well in those 9 months.. both for players and for Bioware. So there is clearly nothing objectively wrong with the business model. People need to let it go and move forward.

I will purchase the Varactyl off the GTN from another player.. just like I do every other piece of CM content that I desire to own. Some players like the cartel packs. great for them.. great for people like me.

I'd rather it be released through the packs. Once I get my hands on one, then I can just use collections to unlock it for all of my other characters. Can't do that with the Tauntaun.

Indeed. CM content can be added to collections. I like that. In game mounts.. I need to work it for each character.

I'm fine with it being sold but I would rather see it sold individually. As a matter of fact, I'd rather a lot of the random gambling pack items be sold individually.

I would spend $5 - $10 on something I want than rough $3.60 on a random small chance at something I want.

I just don't buy gambling packs.

I'm fine with it being sold but I would rather see it sold individually. As a matter of fact, I'd rather a lot of the random gambling pack items be sold individually.

I would spend $5 - $10 on something I want than rough $3.60 on a random small chance at something I want.

I just don't buy gambling packs.

I agree 100%. I would much rather pay for individual items at a higher price, rather then gamble my money away. Same for the dyes as well.

As for the topic in hand, I am fine with it being sold via the CM.

This is all very simple:

If the subscriber fee model isn't generating enough income on its own to keep a game viable, then the company has to recover the difference with microtransactions. Making certain highly desirable things show up rarely and randomly through those transactions ensures that some percentage of the player base will keep shelling out in the hopes of acquiring those items.

What that means for me is that there are quite a few things I want to get in the game that I'll almost certainly never have (short of earning a few billion credits and buying all of them secondhand on the GTN), but the existence of that model means that I still get to play the game, because it's generating enough cash-flow to keep running. Ultimately, that's fine by me.

Considering the grinding required for the taun taun, for once I wouldn't object to something being on the CM.

The taun taun isn't worth 2million credits to me. He also isn't worth running around Hoth for 3 plus hours of real life time....

Let the flames pour forth.

Thanks everyone for all your opinions so far. It is very appreciated and I like what I have seen so far. ;)

I'm fine with it.

Why? Because since November... we have been receiving some new mounts in game, and some via CM. And in the CM.. some from direct purchase and some from Cartel Packs. We just got the TaunTaun in game, and there is a new rare drop mount as well.. so I am not at all surprised to see the next animal mount coming from the Cartel Packs in the CM. And sometime after that we will probably see a new direct purchase mount in the CM and then in game.... rinse and repeat.. rinse and repeat.

People can rail and complain about the CM and Cartel Packs... but it's a waste of time and energy. This game went on a new business model in November of last year... 9 months ago. The game has thrived and done well in those 9 months.. both for players and for Bioware. So there is clearly nothing objectively wrong with the business model. People need to let it go and move forward.

I will purchase the Varactyl off the GTN from another player.. just like I do every other piece of CM content that I desire to own. Some players like the cartel packs. great for them.. great for people like me.

Thanks for your opinion. :)

Yeah I will pretty much be buying the Varactyl off the GTN like I have with a few other Speeders that came from the Cartel Market. I am just really against the Cartel Packs and I hope that they give us another version of the Varactyl that is not in a Cartel Pack.

Yeah we that complain about the the Cartel Market and Cartel Packs are pretty much out of luck at getting them to change their way. It is a sad fact but hey I will never stop complaining about it as long as it has such negative things about it. Why ignore and praise a system that has issues or problems. Like the CM Charging us too much and offering things in a Gambling Pack where we are not guaranteed to get certain items. Maybe I am just to cost conscience. :p

In regards to the Varactyl I think there should be multiple versions of it. In fact I think that every mount should have multiple versions. Even though I wish that they would stop making Cartel Packs, I know that they will not and I can only hope that they just use them for a Rare Version of things but still have other versions that we can get without going through a Pack.

Maybe I am just wasting my time in talking about it as BioWare will do whatever they want and so far they have ignored a lot of things that we have asked for, fixes and features wise. But hey I and others have to try and hope that they will listen to some of us sooner or later, no matter what the subject is. :D

Thanks again everyone for your opinions so far. I really appreciated it and I hope to see more of them. ;)

Edited by WarbNull

Before they added the Collections to the game I may have mixed emotions about it. Since they have added that feature to the game, I am not opposed to this type of transaction or the CM as much. I know I'll be able to buy it off the GTN and if I want it on more than one alt I'll just use my subscriber CC coins down the road to unlock it on other characters.

I can understand why some would be upset but I am not one of them. I'd love for the game to have more innovative and creative ways to introduce new items, skins, gear, etc but I'd prefer them to put that effort into fine tuning the game overall for an extended experience. The tauntaun thing was pretty cool but still pretty blah. I enjoyed the PvP action on Hoth more than the actual implementation of getting one.

Regardless, I appreciate any effort they make in doing things like that. While there is no effort into putting this new mount on the CM, any additional thing they can add to the game is welcomed by me however it is done.

Edited by Master_Nate

Considering the grinding required for the taun taun, for once I wouldn't object to something being on the CM.

The taun taun isn't worth [1.5, for subscribers] million credits to me. He also isn't worth running around Hoth for 3 plus hours of real life time....

Duuno why there would be flames, You made it clear the tauntaun is worth neither 1.5 mil nor "grind time" to you. Who can reasonably argue with that? But as an aside, I got enough data thingies at 40k each to buy the sub tauntaun, so if you are willing to take your time, you can do it for less than 1.5 mil. But maybe it's not even worth 600k to you.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Before they added the Collections to the game I may have mixed emotions about it. Since they have added that feature to the game, I am not opposed to this type of transaction or the CM as much. I know I'll be able to buy it off the GTN and if I want it on more than one alt I'll just use my subscriber CC coins down the road to unlock it on other characters.

I can understand why some would be upset but I am not one of them.

Same here in fact.

Before they added the Collections it was pretty much a guarantee that I'd never buy one of the expensive mounts like the Solus Secant.

Collections puts them more in line with other MMO's where you get an account wide mount for the same price.

The taun taun isn't worth 2million credits to me. He also isn't worth running around Hoth for 3 plus hours of real life time....

Not flaming at all so please don't take this out of context but what, in game item, is worth a 3 plus hour grind time to you? Heck, even last night I spent the night working on unlocking HK for an alt. I can't say it's worth 3+ hour grind myself but I did find it entertaining as something to do.

I get what you are trying to say but I am curious on what you do spend your time doing if that's not too forward to ask. I really only just PvP so to me, I didn't view it as 3 hours wasted running around. I viewed it as something to do while Q'n for WZs. Was I blown away by going for the tauntaun? Nah...but I do enjoy the activity of having something different to do. That's just me personally.

Edited by Master_Nate