Is the JC story really that bad?

Ogrejr

Well for a start a JK and its advanced classes play identical to a SW, they are mirro classes with just different animations.

Regarding the two stories.

If you want to be Luke Skywalker then play the JK story. If you want to be Obi-wan or Qui Jinnthe do the JC one. For the JC story chap 1could be shorter, but chaps 2 and 3 are brilliant, very SW like and very fitting to a consular, especially a sage one. Personallu the JCstory together with the imp agent one are my favourites.

Edited by MusicRider

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a lovely story to be honest. But then I always prefer stories which have a lot of underlying depth. :)

This sums it up. the best comparison IMO is comparing an action movie to a british murder mystery ( a good one).

the mystery has allot of depth, character development, and interesting lore. but you have to want to invest yourself into it to get that out of it. by contrast, an action flick will pull you in, one way or another. the loud explosions and blood and action till get your attention no matter what.

although there isn't a huge amount of mystery to the JC story...but it is a good story. but like the mystery, you have to want to invest yourself in it. it won't pull you in with explosions, violence, and cute sidekicks (though nadia certainly fills the cute role..perhaps a bit too cutsy for me, but meh). and in all honesty, political negotiations are never really "exciting". and the LC is as political as jedi can get.

It helps to think of most of the classes as being an expy of another character.

Wanna play Han Solo? Roll a Smuggler

Wanna play Luke (or Anakin) Skywalker? Roll a Knight

Want to play Darth Vader or Darth Bane? Go Sith Warrior

Are you more into Exar Kun or Jerec? Did you play a mage in Dragon Age? Go Inquisitor

Did you read too much Karen Traviss? Was Canderous your favorite party member in KOTOR? Here's your Bounty Hunter.

Do you miss Commander Shepherd? A Trooper will help you over the loss.

The Agent is a class by itself, which is probably the reason people like it so much. Closest you can really call it is a cross of James Bond, Jason Bourne, and Grand Admiral Thrawn (I won't say Tarkin - Thrawn had more brain cells).

The Consular's expy? Leia Organa-Solo. And kinda like Leia, she gets a bit overshadowed by the flashiness of the Smuggler and Knight, but her job is a lot of the behind the scenes work that paves the way for everyone else.

The first act? Rather dull; find some Jedi Masters affected by a Dark Side plague and manipulating the situations on contested planets to go metaphorically (or literally) nuclear. The first three planets? Not much to write home about. But hit Alderaan, and things REALLY start to click. A three way civil war, seven squabbling noble houses, centuries of grievances and feuds, and one insane Jedi Master setting all of the parties against one another. It's on you to force a peace treaty. Good luck.

Act 2? Because of your awesome job in calming those volitile situations, you get a special job from the Supreme Chancelor himself. There's a coalition of neutral (but influential) worlds. Your mission is to convince them the Republic is a better deal. However, words aren't going to be enough, especially on Imperial-occupied Balmorra. Your best bet to liberate the planet is a mysterious, short-tempered terrorist. (Balmorra is the second CMOA for the Consular). From there, it's onto Hoth, then Belsalvis to make contact with and recruit a species even the Rakata were scared of. However, there is also a shadowy organization tied directly to the Emperor trying to sabotage you at every step; and its members could be anywhere, or anyone.

Act 3? To Voss, where you must prove a vision true by being the honor guard for a young potential Mystic, adding him and his substantial entourage to your growing list of allies. By the time you roll into Corellia, you have access to the largest droid factories in the galaxy, a fleet from species the Rakata didn't want to mess with, a small army of Voss, the Skahari army (they were a little angry about what the Sith did to their monarchs and their Senator) , and anyrthing else the Rift Alliance can muster. Corellia needs an army; you just rolled into town with one. However, the Imperials are ready for a fight, and the Emperor has a lot of Manchurian agents, including a very close ally.

Edited by Allronix

As for the Companions? Well, they're all running on Fridge Brilliance - you don't see how they work or how they fit the story at first, but when the lightbulb moment hits, you can't imagine traveling with anyone else (though you'll wish that you could add Hallow Voice and Gaden-Ko to that number; they're fascinating and just don't get enough airtime)

Qyzen Fess: Trandoshans are a species that the Expanded U has almost always treated as Chaotic Evil, with their devotion to hunting and long-running bad blood with the Wookiees. Yes, they hunt Wookiees. Madame Scorekeeper thinks they're worth a lot of points, and the pelts make great Trophies, especially Wookiee warriors that were hard to kill. (Yeah.) Since Wookiees have been established as allies and good guy characters since we first laid eyes on Han Solo's business partner, Trandoshans are depicted as bounty hunters (Bossk), slavers, bloodthirsty pirates...

So, here's this very religious Trandoshan who's friends with your Master. No, not necessarily a nice guy by Jedi standards; he hunts prey (including sentient prey) for points. But he's VERY respectful of your Master and comes to believe you're an avatar of his goddess after you kick the rear end of a guy that managed to drop him.

Your challenge, Consular: How will you deal with this very alien fellow and his very alien mentality? Your job is to go to planets and cultures across the galaxy, broker treaties, and bring peace. Your first test is understanding the guy who hunts Wookiees as a religious rite.

--------------------------------------------------

Tharan Cedrax: A flamboyant, sarcastic Nar Shadaa inventor and polymath, he is not at all fond of the Force, but he is nonetheless fond of Master Syo Bakarn, enough to leave the relative wealth and comfort of his established shop on the Promenade and help you out. After taking down Duras Fain, he and his lovely, sentient holographic assistant invite themselves aboard your boat for reasons that are known only to him and possibly Master Syo.

Tharan is a study in contradictions and the challenge with him is to see what's him and what's the act he likes to put up. He prides himself on logic, reason, rationality. He doesn't trust the Force at all (he has a special hatred for the Jedi Mind trick, since you are imposing your will on someone else and taking away their capacity for reason - something that's horrifying to him), but he's close friends with a member of the Jedi Council. He likes pretty women and passing flings, but is devoted to a woman that can't be touched. He claims not to like fighting or care about the war, but he's signed himself up with the Consular to be right in the thick of it.

Your challenge, Consular: The Force may be your ally, but can you work without it? Can reason, science, and fact be your allies as well? Can you tell the difference between a man's words and his actions?

Zenith: Cold sniper of few words and little patience. Saw too much of Imperial brutality. Shell-shocked, but won't admit it. Paranoid for a good reason. Balmorra was everything to him, once it's freed, he can take the fight to the Imps and have some revenge. But still doesn't trust Balmorra's current leadership.

He's more or less tailored for Dark Sided Consulars, as his ruthless, blunt personality and single-minded devotion to burning Imperials and doing what he feels is best by Balmorra fits that play style. Still, Lightsided Consulars can still make progress with him by acknowledging the universe is not a pretty place much of the time. He represents the uneasy alliances and the compromises you have to make in order to get things done. Really, the man ought to be in a jail cell for some of the things he's done, but one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, and Balmorra assigned him to you to keep him out of local government.

The Consular's Challenge: Can you acknowledge his point that the universe if imperfect, that diplomacy doesn't always work, and that you do have to "shoot the dog" or work with the bad people sometimes?

Felix Iresso: A no-brainer for light-siders. He's a cheerful Republic grunt that probably would be in the Trooper's party if he weren't so relaxed. Does he care about protocol? Not any more than he has to. Is he perfectly happy to serve the Republic and its ideals, and be its face for the Rift Alliance? You bet. You're not shipping him back to Hoth, he can be useful accompanying you, and that's good enough for him.

The Consular's biggest challenge? He's definitely a morning person.

Nadia Grell: A spoiled sweet Senator's daughter. She's got a Force teleketic ability of "yes," but absolutely no idea how to control it. Things go boom a lot when she's around. Establishing character moment? Holding a Sith Lord at blaster point to try and protect her daddy. The kid's got guts, and strength, but she's painfully naive. By the time you get her as your Padawan, she's been through a lot of bad things, and is looking to you for guidance. She thinks you are brave, wise, and good.

The Consular's Challenge: Don't screw it up. The kid needs to learn control, and how to work with the Code. You're her master now. Your job to teach her. Don't screw it up.

Edited by Allronix

Yeah, leave it to me to go to any given fandom and gravitate right to the character that no one else wants to write for or class no one wants to play. Why spoil a perfect, 25 year track record there?

I did my play through SLOWLY (as in, it took me a year!) so that I did not burn through the content. Really disappointed BioWare isn't planning to expand the class quests from what I hear. I did roll a Bounty Hunter as an alt (and play her as though she's secretly working for my Consular as a deep cover agent - if the Emperor can have a private spy network, so can Madame Consular), but I want to play more of my Consular.

I want to see some more companion quests (Felix still has that holocron time bomb in his head) or expansion of the ones we already get (why can't I go to Nar Shadaa with Zenith to go get Gray Star's journals? Why can't I take Nadia to Tython to meet Master Yuon?). I'm sure that there are other worlds where the Republic needs a diplomat who can back it up with a lightsaber if needed.

I guess we just need to keep up the pressure.

I want to see some more companion quests (Felix still has that holocron time bomb in his head) or expansion of the ones we already get (why can't I go to Nar Shadaa with Zenith to go get Gray Star's journals? Why can't I take Nadia to Tython to meet Master Yuon?).

These are actually things I wonder, too.

There are far too many infinished threads hanging around, in *all* of the class stories !

I should have asked that at the Event in Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it's the worst class story (Trooper being the only class I haven't played at all). I have finished almost all of the other stories (Working on JK and IA chapter 3).

Someone had pointed out that the Consular story seems based off Leia and the type of work you see her doing in the Star Wars books. That certainly seems to be a reasonable conclusion to draw. While I do appreciate the concept of the consular I think in execution in the game it lacks something.

I would agree that the companions in general are anti-climatic. And in comparison to the plot twists found in the other stories and moments of hilarity in pretty well every other class story the consular story falls flat on it's face. The supporting NPCs in the story didn't really draw me in either. I had no desire to really help or care about the person I was suppose to be helping in the first chapter. In other class stories I found the supporting NPCs to be really engaging and draw me into the story. The consular ones it was like "yeah, whatever..."

But that's just my two cents. Obviously other people enjoy the story but I would say those people are in the minority.

I love how the class plays but the story line is not for me.

The Jedi Consular story is the story of what a real Jedi Master does. It's a story of politics, diplomacy, making friends, building and controlling armies, intimidating enemies and influencing allies.

It is not the tired story of you being the "chosen one."

But the Consular is a true leader, and you can hear it in the tone of her voice, and in the way she carries herself, especially in Act 2. The scene at the end of Balmorra still gives me the chills. The influence you build as a Jedi Consular allows you to move worlds.

The best part of the Jedi Consular storyline, is how intertwined your class quests feel with each of the planet's main quests. You don't feel like you're doing side quests. Everything works well together, a lot more so than the other storylines, and you gain a lot more background into the struggles facing the Republic and whatever planet you are on. Again, this mainly begins in Act 2 (so be patient).

If you are just looking for epic, action packed, Force-choking cutscenes and constantly spacebar your way through dialogue instead of paying attention to it, perhaps you will dislike the Jedi Consular storyline.

But if you want a deep and compelling story that is rich in Jedi and Republic culture, then be a little patient with it and you will have a great time :)

I could not agree with you more!!!!!

In the JK story you run about waving your... lightsabre... around, and everyone tells you how strong you are and how much they love you, and you're the big hero who saves the galaxy.

(Sith Warrior is similar, only everyone tells you how you're much stronger than they ever imagined and how fearsome and powerful you are).

In the JC story you're diplomatic, building alliances and persuading people to work together to save the galaxy.

These brief summaries should explain to you why lots of people say the JK story is better, and help you decide which you prefer.

You get to smush people to bits in all ot them, your smushing technique preferences should also play a large part in your choice.

Well, having done quite a few of the stories, the biggest thing that is awesome about the JC is something that was said on page one: THE WORLD QUESTS FEEL LIKE THEY WERE MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR YOUR CHARACTER.

And I really really loved that.

Its better than the bounty hunter story (which was just a series of one-liners), but I personally can't think of a more rewarding and intense story than a LS Warrior. I mean everyone you talk to is changed by it. (only ****** part is Jaesa can only be romanced DS and she is a supreme sadist as a DS)

I still look back and really love some of the moments in the JC story. It is a complex class with a very complex style of story that requires patience to deal with, but the moments it has are some of the best in the game.

BTW still hate how JW is "gifted" everything, where the JC always builds for himself.

• 2 weeks later...
It helps to think of most of the classes as being an expy of another character.

Wanna play Han Solo? Roll a Smuggler

Wanna play Luke (or Anakin) Skywalker? Roll a Knight

Want to play Darth Vader or Darth Bane? Go Sith Warrior

Are you more into Exar Kun or Jerec? Did you play a mage in Dragon Age? Go Inquisitor

Did you read too much Karen Traviss? Was Canderous your favorite party member in KOTOR? Here's your Bounty Hunter.

Do you miss Commander Shepherd? A Trooper will help you over the loss.

The Agent is a class by itself, which is probably the reason people like it so much. Closest you can really call it is a cross of James Bond, Jason Bourne, and Grand Admiral Thrawn (I won't say Tarkin - Thrawn had more brain cells).

The Consular's expy? Leia Organa-Solo. And kinda like Leia, she gets a bit overshadowed by the flashiness of the Smuggler and Knight, but her job is a lot of the behind the scenes work that paves the way for everyone else.

The first act? Rather dull; find some Jedi Masters affected by a Dark Side plague and manipulating the situations on contested planets to go metaphorically (or literally) nuclear. The first three planets? Not much to write home about. But hit Alderaan, and things REALLY start to click. A three way civil war, seven squabbling noble houses, centuries of grievances and feuds, and one insane Jedi Master setting all of the parties against one another. It's on you to force a peace treaty. Good luck.

Act 2? Because of your awesome job in calming those volitile situations, you get a special job from the Supreme Chancelor himself. There's a coalition of neutral (but influential) worlds. Your mission is to convince them the Republic is a better deal. However, words aren't going to be enough, especially on Imperial-occupied Balmorra. Your best bet to liberate the planet is a mysterious, short-tempered terrorist. (Balmorra is the second CMOA for the Consular). From there, it's onto Hoth, then Belsalvis to make contact with and recruit a species even the Rakata were scared of. However, there is also a shadowy organization tied directly to the Emperor trying to sabotage you at every step; and its members could be anywhere, or anyone.

Act 3? To Voss, where you must prove a vision true by being the honor guard for a young potential Mystic, adding him and his substantial entourage to your growing list of allies. By the time you roll into Corellia, you have access to the largest droid factories in the galaxy, a fleet from species the Rakata didn't want to mess with, a small army of Voss, the Skahari army (they were a little angry about what the Sith did to their monarchs and their Senator) , and anyrthing else the Rift Alliance can muster. Corellia needs an army; you just rolled into town with one. However, the Imperials are ready for a fight, and the Emperor has a lot of Manchurian agents, including a very close ally.

Sith inquis is much more like Darth bane than sith war...jsing.

i really enjoy the story line. but as others have mentioned dark side is better. im mostly dark and some of the decisions you have to make forces you to be a jerk. stuff like kill these 20 people to save 1000. and the npc quest givers get mad at you for choosing dark paths. its pretty entertaining.

I have mostly Empire characters, because my friends play Empire.

Decided that I want to roll at least one Republic character, to experience some Republic action/worlds.

The non-force using Republic classes aren't my cup of tea, so right now I'm stuck between rolling a JK or a JC.

Usually I WOULD roll a JC, because I already have a level 30 Sith Juggernaut, and I imagine that a Jedi Marauder equivalent would play similarly to the Sith Juggernaut/Jedi Guardian.

But I'm conflicted. I've heard a lot of negative things about the JC story.

So I came here to ask. Is it really that bad? Or is it just a different kind of story?

Compared to jedi knight story its bad, if you ever get the chance i insist you finish all 3 chaptersof JK before JC it was very good. But in end of JC your reward is greater than JK.

Since i logged onto the forums right now...

The JC Story isn't bad. The Problem with the first Act of the JC story is a simple one. Its written from a Jedi Nerd perspective.

If you are into StarWars Background, extended Universe, and/or read the Pen&Paper supplements to the Jedi Order, you have the necessary background to understand the JC story. If you don't have that nerd knowledge, you just sit there and wonder why you are supposed to care for a Master you just met today.

Its hard to tell someone that only knows the Movies or doesn't even know that much, why it doesn't matter how much you know your Master, if your upbringing centers around honoring your Masters, the Order and being a Good person.

The problem with the JC story doesn't stop there tho. Even if you accept that, it doesn't really allow you to stray from your path. Even if you are playing *dark* you will still be facing a Jedi story. Much more so than the Jedi Knight. The JK is an action hero. Yeah, there is some Jedi teachings, but at the end of the day, the story would work just as well if he would have been a trooper with a gun.

The JC you have Act1 where you are basically out doing good and helping the Jedi Order, and you don't have much choice in it. You work to save the Order itself. While the Jedi Knight chases some superweapon plans and tries to foil a 'renegade'. (Don't think i spoil to much here, as this doesn't go further than corruscant)

As JC, by the end of Act1 you will be introduced to the work as a Consular, being a Diplomat. And in Act2 you are actually that. You become the Republics representive to an Alliance of planets, trying to show them the Republic cares about their needs. You work to uncover treachery and foil a few plans here and there. Its not the most thrilling or exciting of stories, but this is actually what a Jedi does. Compared to the A-kicking stuff the Knight does. The Knight doesn't do anything i'd call being a Jedi. All he does is saving the galaxy with a lightsaber. Leader of men, fighting armies and such. The JC however does actually Jedi stuff. Mediating between people, trying to uphold the peace, and foiling evil schemes by influencing people.

As soon as Act3 comes.. you actually work to save the war. All the diplomacy, and helping people, and being Diplomat pays off when you are able to swoop in to save the Republic. By Act3 you get told the Republic is balls to the wall, and you are the only person in a position to help them, thanks to the ties you have forged during Act1 and 2.

Yeah its a slow story and its not that of an action hero. But its a story about a Jedi. And that is the problem with the JC story. Its the story about a Jedi Diplomat. Even playing him all evil, you are still going to be doing good. The story doesn't let you go off rails and turn evil. You are still going to save the day. Your Light&Darkside choices will be about being a bastion of principles, a stickler for the Jedi Code, doing whats right, even if its not benefitial to you. Or being someone that sacrifices the highroad for getting the job done. You can execute people that have murdered and tortured them. Giving in to the cries for justice of the tormented and griefstricken. That is your darkside choice. Instead of sparing them and showing mercy, showing there is a better way than the sword.

But either way, you will do good. There is no real be a D-bag, murdering psychopath Consular. You'll always be the Mediator and Diplomat. Thats what the class is about. Expecting it to go in another direction would be like expecting the Bounty hunter to start charity work, feeding the poor in a soup kitchen.

Of the two possible Jedi stories.. from a StarWars nerd point of view.. the JC story is amazing. The JK story on the other hand.... he doesn't need to be a JK for that story to work. There is no part of it that says: Jedi. That story would work just as well if you'd play it as a Republic Trooper (with a few alterations)

Then again, that is what makes the JK story superior to the JC for most people. You don't need to know anything about the background or the Lore to get the JK story. Its straight forward. There is a guy, he has a lightsaber and he saves the world. Simple enough. The JC story isn't like that at all, and i think that is its biggest fault. Its not accessible and it tries to tell a story much to quickly, in the beginning. The JC story for the first 20 levels feel rushed, trying to accomplish a little to much, to get it going. Its what happens if you try to put a slowly ramping up story into format like this. In my opinion it would have been much better if they had told the story of the first 10 levels in the first 20, have your Master fall ill during Taris and Nar Shaddar, and only rescue 2 additional Masters instead of 4.

But to be honest... i enjoyed the JC story much more. Its actually my favorit (sans Trooper, as its the only one i have never played *really gotta do that) of all of them. Don't get me wrong Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent are nice, and i like the comedy of the Smuggler, but in terms of character development throughout the story? Appart from the botched first 10 levels... the JC feels the best.

Edited by Ecaja

Since i logged onto the forums right now...

The JC Story isn't bad. The Problem with the first Act of the JC story is a simple one. Its written from a Jedi Nerd perspective.

Absolutely.

As JC, by the end of Act1 you will be introduced to the work as a Consular, being a Diplomat. And in Act2 you are actually that. You become the Republics representive to an Alliance of planets, trying to show them the Republic cares about their needs. You work to uncover treachery and foil a few plans here and there. Its not the most thrilling or exciting of stories, but this is actually what a Jedi does. Compared to the A-kicking stuff the Knight does. The Knight doesn't do anything i'd call being a Jedi. All he does is saving the galaxy with a lightsaber. Leader of men, fighting armies and such. The JC however does actually Jedi stuff. Mediating between people, trying to uphold the peace, and foiling evil schemes by influencing people.

The part I bolded is where and why it fails miserably. You want high art, chances are you're not going to gravitate to the MMO genre. Also, saying that 'what a Jedi does' is the Consular personified, ignores the fact that pacifism and non-violent conflict resolution tends to stop the moment someone punches you in the mouth. Besides, you're trying to paint an entire order by the way you see things. How can you possibly say the order's focus is on 'mediating between people' and the like, with a sidearm? It's like someone trying to negotiate a settlement....with a Glock 23 on their hip. Ignoring the duality of the order is folly. Yes, Jedi tend to prefer to take the 'talky' way out, but punch one in the mouth and the talk turns to "I'm going to kick your ***".

Of the two possible Jedi stories.. from a StarWars nerd point of view.. the JC story is amazing. The JK story on the other hand.... he doesn't need to be a JK for that story to work. There is no part of it that says: Jedi. That story would work just as well if you'd play it as a Republic Trooper (with a few alterations)

Othello would work just as well in Hamlet, with a few alterations. That last part essentially invalidates the entire paragraph. Put William Foster (Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down') in Will Smith's role in Independence Day and, with a few alterations, the story works just as well.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you. I just think poo-pooing the Knight story is flat-out wrong. While the Consular story is great artistically (and perhaps canonically), the Knight story pays the bills. Just like with movies. The beautiful, deep, artsy films such as 'Like Water for Chocolate' make the critics swoon and collapse into pools of blubbering ecstasy, but the 'Michael Bay Specials' actually produce the profit required to cover for the art film's losses. You can only spend $80 million and make $8 million for so long, after all. Notice that duality? They're both Jedi, two sides of the same coin. It just so happens that one side is brilliantly shiny and the other side is worn and dull (which is which is a personal determination). I don't like the Consular story because in games (even single player ones), I like an uptempo pace. From all I've seen, read, and heard, the Consular's story doesn't get to that point until almost the end (Act 3, which is what, level 44 or so?). Up til then, it's like reading the service manual for a car you don't have (dry and not very interesting). I like the Knight story because of its pace and because of the various bumps in the road (like Valis). I'm not done with Chapter 1 on my Consular but even now, there have been several occasions when I've asked, "Why exactly am I doing this?" but been painted into a corner (or stuck on rails, as you said in your post), unable to change the direction or even the tenor of my actions. That sucks monkey bosom.

Well, I just finished ch 3 of my JC playthrough, compared to JK, it has its own perks and cooler cut scenes imo. I love it when my JC saved those people on Taris, lifting the lady from the fire, destroying blast door with the Force. I don't recall my JK doing that, he's awesome. Also, playing politics and diplomacy is always interesting for me, And I do like it when my ship's crowded with other people than my companions. :)

Yes, Jedi tend to prefer to take the 'talky' way out, but punch one in the mouth and the talk turns to "I'm going to kick your ***".

Which goes against the whole idea of the Jedi Codex.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Code

turning it to 'I am going to kick your behind' goes against the Self Discipline Tenenth. Yes, Jedi were defenders of the weak and protectors of the same, but they wouldn't strike the first blow and killing was frowned uppon, even in a mortal struggle.

Othello would work just as well in Hamlet, with a few alterations. That last part essentially invalidates the entire paragraph. Put William Foster (Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down') in Will Smith's role in Independence Day and, with a few alterations, the story works just as well.

And your point would be? You just made a case for how generic those roles and stories were. Congratulations.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you.

Doesn't sound like it.

I just think poo-pooing the Knight story is flat-out wrong.

Well, i don't see where the Jedi Knights story is a Jedi Story. You are free to show me differently, but i don't recall and part of the Jedi Knight story that were in tune with the Jedi Codex. As far as i remember it, the Jedi Knights story doesn't have one part where it would require a Jedi. Its not force centric. The Jedi Knight spends his whole time hunting superweapons, playing special operative, and then joins a taskforce to capture the emporer, during which you discover the evil plan to destroy the whole galaxy, which you then work to stop. You don't really do anything Jedi related, but kicking A and taking names. Which admittedly fits very well to a Guardian, as opposed to a Consular. But the thing is.. the story itself doesn't require a Jedi. Were as the JC story requires a Jedi.

While the Consular story is great artistically (and perhaps canonically)

I wouldn't go that far. I just think the Consular's Story line is the only true Jedi story. Not force Sensitive story, not Lightsaber story, just Jedi story. And even as such, it's way to violent with lots of killing left and right. But its an MMO, consessions have to be made.

the Knight story pays the bills.

Now you have me worried they'll shut down the service tomorrow.

Just like with movies. The beautiful, deep, artsy films such as 'Like Water for Chocolate' make the critics swoon and collapse into pools of blubbering ecstasy, but the 'Michael Bay Specials' actually produce the profit required to cover for the art film's losses.

Except i never said anything about the JC one being more artful or crafty than the Jedi Knight story. I only said that it feels like playing a Jedi, as opposed to being a SpecOps commando in the Jedi Knight storyline.

They're both Jedi, two sides of the same coin.

So? What does that have to do with anything i said? I never said the Jedi Knight wasn't a Jedi. I said the Jedi Knight's story isn't a story that requires a Jedi, and i said that the JC story feels like playing a Jedi. I never said the JK wasn't a Jedi. Big differance.

From all I've seen, read, and heard, the Consular's story doesn't get to that point until almost the end (Act 3, which is what, level 44 or so?). Up til then, it's like reading the service manual for a car you don't have (dry and not very interesting).

That's just not true. Sorry. The only pacing problem with the JC is for the first 10 levels of the game, until you leave for coruscant. Beyond that, you save many people, influence countless lives. You just don't save a planet every day.

I like the Knight story because of its pace and because of the various bumps in the road (like Valis).

And i haven't spoken to the quality of the JK story, beyond the point where i said it doesn't require a Jedi or makes me feel like playing a Jedi. You play a JK in a SpecOps Taskforce story to bring down the big bad guy and his WMDs. I even said that it makes sense for me, that people like it more, because its the story they can relate to much easier.

Its not an elitist remark about how much cooler you are if you 'get' or 'enjoy' the JC story. Its just me saying the JC story is great if you have the necessary background knowledge, because it makes you feel like playing a Jedi. Someone that adheres to the Jedi Code. That is not a feeling i had with the JK story, thats all.

I'm not done with Chapter 1 on my Consular but even now, there have been several occasions when I've asked, "Why exactly am I doing this?" but been painted into a corner (or stuck on rails, as you said in your post), unable to change the direction or even the tenor of my actions. That sucks monkey bosom.

And as i pointed out, that answer is clear to you if you have the background / nerd knowledge. Its not bad not to have that knowledge. I am not saying you are less of a fan for lacking it. I am just saying the JC stories main problem is.. its written by a Nerd for a Nerd. It assumes a wealth of background within the reader. It assumes the player knows the Jedi Code by heart. Has heard/read the teachings of the Order. The JC story doesn't explain you why a Jedi would do these things, because it assumes the player is a Nerd and has read the Jedi Code and all the Teneths.

And as i said... if you are not such a Nerd, then you end up wondering "Why do i care?" or "Why should i do that?"

The JKs story is much easier to understand. WMD able to destroy and kill millions of people... gotta stop it. Thats easy to wrap your head around without knowing anything.

Understanding why you should selfsacrifice yourself for a total stranger, if you never read the Jedi Code, the big Philosophy behind the order of the Jedi, the thing they get raised on... from Kindergarden to adulthood. Thats not easy for many people. Especially in modern society, where people even wonder why caring for less fortunate ones is a thing they have to do, and charity extends to 'I'd throw this into the trashbin, but lets give it to that guy on the street instead, because it makes me a good person'.

I totally get it why many people can't connect with the JC story. But that doesn't make it a bad story, if you actually know the background.

And its not like comparing a Michael Bay movie to some Artsy french flick. Its more like comparing a movie about basic mathematics to one about quantum mathematic. Naturally people will be able to understand what's going on in the basic mathematics movie, as opposed to the quantum mathematics movie. Doesn't say anything about the quality of the stories though.

I got the nerd knowledge, because i played the Pen&Paper game, i read big background books on the Jedi Order and Teachings. I am a nerd when it comes to that. I wasted at least 8 to 10 hours, probably much longer, of my life on reading about that stuff. I would never expect anyone else to do that, or make it a requirement for them. But since i have done that, it puts me into a position to 'get' the JC story. And that allows me to say: the JC story is good.

I totally get why people cannot connect with it, and i think its a poor artistic and writers choice to tell the story in this fashion. But since i am a Nerd... i am loving it. To me its fan service, in an MMO. I mean, lets be honest... the idea of slaughtering thousands of enemies is abhorrent to the vast majority of Jedi. But since its an MMO.. you kill, murder and maim your way through the game, because if you'd refuse to,.. you'd not make a single exp. The JCs story at least puts you into situations where you are actually not the aggressive one, but the protector, healer and defender.

But since this just got a massive walltext... i'll be bowing out of the discussion at this point. I think i shared my point of view in great, and most likely, unwelcome detail.

Edited by Ecaja

Which goes against the whole idea of the Jedi Codex.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Code

I would have to agree with your overall points. I have little experience with all the classes as I have a bad habit of wanting to do something different with my Character so I delete and redo lol, but I currently just started chapter 3 and find the JC very engaging. I agree with your comparisons between JC and JK. One is the action packed, fast paced version of our society and the other is a drama with action thrown in for xp.

I did think Act 1 was fitting but understand why you say it could have been shorter and more in depth, I just think the self sacrificial Jedi who learns an ancient shileding technique to save the Jedi Order is pretty cool. The fact that you save people you never met and want to kill you, help and support unappreciative (at least in the beginning) diplomats, and seek out ways to fight the empire on their own ground all seems very entertaining and what the overly "good guy" will do no matter what the cost. I further like the idea of being DS or LS with the same ending but going about it on different means. Save the Jedi or kill them to save the order, kill those who started the revolt regardless of what their motives because of what it might represent.

I speak option-wise as I see myself running the Light Side in everything, I currently am lvl 45 and have 50 DS points and 8500 LS. For the life of me I cannot remember where I messed up to give me the 50 DS but I assume I wieghed the options and felt it was the most fitting. After doing some of the other classes I will have to run again as a Shadow and check out the DS, it is just so hard for me to do, instinct-wise :)

I loved the Consular story and the idea of being a LS diplomat that saves lives even when they try to poke me in the eye. While levelling, I tried to kill the minimum of people, animals and droids while fulfilling my missions. Continued to do the same whilst grinding dailies and only stopped recently because of the achievements which aren't exactly stealth- or diplomat-friendly. :D

This is the the last class for me to play through but I have played the game since closed beta. I have only heard 90% negative feedback about the story and I think it is because this is an mmo about action. You do not talk your opponents to death in PvE, you use force powers and abilities to defeat them. So after an intense FP, OP, Heroic, or planet series of fighting your rear end off...you go to diplomatic mode for the story?

imho the story has to engage you at the pace that the game world does or there is a serious disconnect. I see people that enjoyed this class story bashing the JK a bit and I ask why? Good lord, it is one of the best in the game (IA easily taking the prize there) and is basically the main story of the game. Why? Because it is all about you vs the ultimate evil and the build up to that is a hell of a ride.

Anyways, I will check this story out with the intent to focus on game mechanics for enjoyment and not the story that will conclude at some point anyways...leaving those core gameplay mechanics for the class the only driving force to keep you playing it and not reroll.

Edited by MrJohnson

No it's not !

I personally find it a lot more exciting and evolving as the story goes on. You get powerful as the story gets more exciting, you evolve with the story. Unlike the JK who says he's going to end the Sith threat at lvl 8 like a pubescent.

I'm enjoying the JC storyline. Like someone mentioned, it is a bit linear but at the same time, side quests and what seems to fit well with the grand scheme of things. It's a more mature and slower story, you're not a super hero like the JK but you are the classic Obiwan.

I'm enjoying the storyline and while I do prefer the pace of the JK storyline, JC seems to be growing.

Unlike any other story, you're a Jedi among many and while you have an exceptional gift and that you're stronger than the average, you're not a god. Every other storyline is basically you "The ONE" doing hero stuff while Jedi is more about "you" doing jedi stuff and earning its way up.

Edited by Zag_Stratos

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.