what are the 3 changes you need to see in the Merc class?

stockwizzle

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most difficult decision for me isn't the questions themselves, cuz there's a lot of them, some more important than others...but which specs in particular to address first....for instance, do we focus on making our best spec better (arsenal), since it still needs work in itself.....or do we give love to the spec(s) that need it more, although not nearly as popular atm for obvious reasons.

Cuz as much as I'd like to make Arsenal better, there's a side of me that wants some more friggin' variety with Pyro without hindering myself. If Pyro isn't going to have an armor debuff, it should be shelling out MORE damage than Arsenal in raid setting IMO, more along the lines of the sniper specs (but of course we can't do the same damage as them, that would just be SWTOR blasphemy right?)

I've only dabbled in Bodyguard but I know it's not as appealing as other heal specs for hardcore PVP/PVE'ers so I'm certain it could use some love as well..

What spec(s) do you guys think we should be focusing on most for this first for this first Mirrored-class go around?

Edit: Or we could keep it fairly general, I've seen some posts regarding having more offensive cds, shorter cds on things like TSO/ PS/EN etc.

The one thing I plan to definitely address is resource management...this is something that affects all 3 specs and slight improvements to this would go a long way in our community IMO

Edited by odawgg

2) What is the design intent for Kolto Jets?

The only reason I asked this question is because it seems to be meant as a peel for a target being focused either in PvP or by a large number of adds. If this is the case, the design is sound, but the current iteration could be tweaked a bit. As it stands now, this ability breaks cc which severely limits it as a peel. If Kolto Jets were to be given the same ability to ignore cced targets as say, a Juggernaut's Crushing Blow, then it would actually give Bodyguards a sort of unique utility heal.

I do realize that there are much more pressing concerns, however, and I'm glad to see resource management get top billing.

I think addressing resource management is definitely a good idea as it is truly a huge issue for all specs. I've done it on my arsenal merc where you time a few casts badly and you are unable to fix it without just sitting back and using rapid shots. Compare that with dps sorcs who do very similar damage yet have a much lower curve (none to be honest) for mismanaging resources. That is completely unbalanced. As for bodyguard, I've done a lot of healing and I feel that its a lot easier to stay heat neutral in healing than in dps (though I've never healed on my merc for an extremely healing intensive encounter) due to the effectiveness of rapid shots, the after initial cast free heals from kolto shield, the low cost on kolto missile, and emergency scan being free. The only truly heat neutral cast in arsenal is a low heat cast of unload, and that is a function of its length and the heat being spent upon cast rather than completion. Perhaps a simple change to our other abilities to mimic this effect since that would allow for regen during casts as opposed to after. True this breaks the theme of most mmos but it makes sense in terms of ammo and heat: if you are firing a missile or gun that heat is being generates throughout, not after its gone. In fact after you shoot the missile the heat would begin to dissipate immediately, not spike and then start lowering. And ammo, there is the idea of a round in the chamber; that round is no longer in the clip and is therefore inaccessible. Now unless the heat was refunded upon breaking a cast this would lead to a penalty for breaking casts early. That is something to consider as well.

I wish I could speak to pyro but my merc is an alt and I've never specced him pyro :(

I'm sorry that this is 100% a suggestion but plz find some way to fit this in.

How about keep adrenaline rush as it is right now. Fired up gives commandos a buff to aim, crit, or power. You have just solved the offensive cooldown issue and adrenaline rush's usefulness to commandos.

BOOM!

I think the most difficult decision for me isn't the questions themselves, cuz there's a lot of them, some more important than others...but which specs in particular to address first....for instance, do we focus on making our best spec better (arsenal), since it still needs work in itself.....or do we give love to the spec(s) that need it more, although not nearly as popular atm for obvious reasons.

Cuz as much as I'd like to make Arsenal better, there's a side of me that wants some more friggin' variety with Pyro without hindering myself. If Pyro isn't going to have an armor debuff, it should be shelling out MORE damage than Arsenal in raid setting IMO, more along the lines of the sniper specs (but of course we can't do the same damage as them, that would just be SWTOR blasphemy right?)

I've only dabbled in Bodyguard but I know it's not as appealing as other heal specs for hardcore PVP/PVE'ers so I'm certain it could use some love as well..

What spec(s) do you guys think we should be focusing on most for this first for this first Mirrored-class go around?

Edit: Or we could keep it fairly general, I've seen some posts regarding having more offensive cds, shorter cds on things like TSO/ PS/EN etc.

The one thing I plan to definitely address is resource management...this is something that affects all 3 specs and slight improvements to this would go a long way in our community IMO

I agree odawgg, heat management should definatly be one of topics addressed, since it effects all 3 specs, PvP and PvE. Regarding the last two, I posted my opinion on the first page of the thread. I think the last two should be concerning CD durations/lack of a true offensive CD, and fixing Pyro. Cause I gotta say... I really miss Pyro! Variety is the spice of life, after all.

Edited by mandoforlife

When I made a similar thread on the commando forums, my personal feeling was that, as much as possible the questions should be as general as possible.

Question 1 should be on heat/ammo management (I understand that isn't a problem in pyro/assault, but that spec is broken period).

Question 2 should be on the lack of an offensive cooldown plus the total lack of balance in many abilities' usefulness vs their cooldowns and usability (part 2 of my last huge wall of text).

Question 3 should try to delve into spec specific problems with the general theme of how shoddy they are. The Bodyguard/CM tree needs to have Peacekeeper/Frontline Medic decoupled from Probe Medic/Bodyguard immediately as that dependance is a huge waste. Arsenal/Gunnery needs to have Upgraded Arsenal/Special Munitions provide a lot more benefit for the points invested and needs another DPS talent in the tree, and Assault/Pyro needs to just be fixed now. It's broken.

The first two questions should more or less be improvements to all specs in all arenas one way or another. The third would address specific spec problems. They say we get three questions addressing our top three issues. Make the issue broad enough and I think you'd be amazed what we can squeeze in.

When I made a similar thread on the commando forums, my personal feeling was that, as much as possible the questions should be as general as possible.

Question 1 should be on heat/ammo management (I understand that isn't a problem in pyro/assault, but that spec is broken period).

Question 2 should be on the lack of an offensive cooldown plus the total lack of balance in many abilities' usefulness vs their cooldowns and usability (part 2 of my last huge wall of text).

Question 3 should try to delve into spec specific problems with the general theme of how shoddy they are. The Bodyguard/CM tree needs to have Peacekeeper/Frontline Medic decoupled from Probe Medic/Bodyguard immediately as that dependance is a huge waste. Arsenal/Gunnery needs to have Upgraded Arsenal/Special Munitions provide a lot more benefit for the points invested and needs another DPS talent in the tree, and Assault/Pyro needs to just be fixed now. It's broken.

The first two questions should more or less be improvements to all specs in all arenas one way or another. The third would address specific spec problems. They say we get three questions addressing our top three issues. Make the issue broad enough and I think you'd be amazed what we can squeeze in.

I agree the first round should be general QoL type stuff. Maybe see how that goes, then work with the Commandos on narrowing topics and follow-up questions when their turn rolls around. CD duration and resource management def get my vote for top 2 issues.

Remember, no matter what questions get ask in the end, its more than likely that nothing will change.

BW doesn’t want our input to fix/buff/nerf this or that, they just want to answer our questions:

One thing I want to make sure of is that we very carefully hedge some of your expectations of this program. Our number one goal is to get your questions answered. We have known for some time that players have had Class balance questions, and it has been tricky to get them answered. The purpose of this initiative is to get those questions addressed as directly as possible. I want to make sure we stress the following things:

• It is possible, and even likely, that we could disagree with player sentiment towards something in relation to Class balance. Ex: Why does <insert class> suck at <insert thing>?! We may respond that we feel they are in a good place in our design goals and we will do our best to explain why.

• Attaching feedback to your top 3 in no way guarantees that it will be feedback that is actionable. The purpose is to allow a set dialog between our Combat Team and you here on the forums.

With that in mind, I thinkwe should aim for some general issues like ammo management compared to other classes, general lack of dps compared to maras and snipers, broken pyro spec and so forth.

Asking for a change in the skill tree for example will not achieve anything. The devs should realize that Mercs and Commandos have some trouble since 2.0 and need some attention. More would be too much to hope for.

Never EVER assume that the devs realize whatever it is we think they should realize. The Frontline Medic/Probe Medic thing is just dumb like pretty much everything else they've done with this class from day 1, and the fact that it was even put in shows how little they've ever cared about this class. Jugg tanks, operative and sorc healers, sniper and mara DPS. That's all the classes they bothered to design well.

I'm honestly expecting zero changes. I want to hit them with three huge questions detailing exactly how little effort or thought they have put into this class and then I want them to tell us to our faces that they did it on purpose and that they give even less of a damn than even I assume.

I don't expect them to do anything. All I expect from this program is for them to tell us to our face that they don't plan on doing anything.

Discussing Arsenal may be counter-productive but Bodyguard definitely needs some tweeks, and is anyone going to argue that assault isn't broken?

my #1 concern is the cooldown on our utility abilities. the length of cooldowns is not in balance with the benefit that they provide.

TSO and PS being the top of the list of cooldowns id ike to see reduced (to 60s).

oh, and #2 would be reducing the heat cost of Missile Blast to 16. there is no reason at all for it to be 25

and #3 is pyrotech. the 2.0 nerfs were a massive debacle. a very specific Powertech hybrid spec was blowing up DPS meters b/c of a lack of cell restriction on the Rail Shot auto-crit in the AP tree. instead of just locking the proc to AP cell, they entirely gutted Pyrotech and did a number of AP as well. there was no need for such a massive nerf, and it has really ruined the spec (i played it from 1.1 to 2.0, havent tried it once since). returning Thermal Det to its pre 2.0 glory would be a start.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

Ok, this might seem like a silly suggestion, but as BH and Cmdo only get 3 questions each, could have BH focus on Arsenal(Gunnery) and Cmdo focus on Assault (Pyrotech). Or pool together questions both want answered so we can strategically get the most bang for our buck. Edited by Azdraik

hope it's ok to post here as well (mando infiltratin your forums)

my concerns from the thread in that other forum (hopefully i've used correct merconese):

many changes were made to pyro during the later stages of 2.0 testing. there was a lot of discussion on the matter, but unfortunately there wasn't a lot of testing due to a widespread bug with many people being unable to login.

it was still pushed to live, and now that we've had several months to experience the changes on the live servers, opinions about the changes are still pretty negative.

many people were still asking for an auto-trigger for combustible gas cylinder for power shot similar to powertech's bursting flame, but volatile warhead doesn't seem like a decent alternative. it's a high-cost, low-damage ability and the skill has a 6s lockout, doesn't hit AOE, and powertechs got a similar talent with volatile igniter that triggers on all targets and has no lockout. the only reasoning i can see is the fact that power shot is a 30m attack while flame burst is only 10. but i would argue that it's balanced by the fact that power shot is a cast skill, rooting the player for the duration and is susceptible to interrupts.

there was a discussion about thermal detonator not being worth its top tier skill status, and a lot of suggestions were given about possible changes, but it seems that the change given is not really what people were hoping for.

many mercs and powertechs agree that it is still more optimal to forgo thermal detonator in a PVE build, and many feel that it is not useful in PVP due to its low initial damage and the fact that about half of its damage is easily cleansed.

do the devs agree with this assessment? are there any plans to fix pyro? can't there be some other way to 'fix' TD and CGC uptime and come to at least some middle ground with balancing the spec for PVP and PVE?

also about skill trees:

in every tree, it seems that when speccing for PVE, many PVP-oriented talents are required the further up into a tree one goes.

is this intended? is there any chance we could see some PVE-oriented talents return to the trees?

things i would like to see: pushback resist talent in pyro; auto-trigger for CGC with power shot

advanced tech (increase outgoing/incoming healing) returned to arsenal

peacekeeper changed so that it's a useful PVE talent, removed completely (since it's not all that useful for PVP imo), or uncoupled from bodyguard so that it's not a required step for that talent

as a related issue, upgraded arsenal was increased from a 1 point to a 3 point talent but for bodyguard, the overall effect was the same. was this intended?

heat dissipation for arsenal in PVE:

what's up with that?

people are doing just as much damage with 63 armorings and the old eliminator set bonus as people in 72s with the railshot damage increase bonus. for pyro, the new set bonus is great, and the old set bonus is (mostly) useless. it's about the opposite for arsenal.

there has to be some other way to balance the set bonus so that it affects both specs equally.

additionally, RS being free was a very welcome part of the rotation. it's not impossible to manage ammo with its 10 heat cost, but it was simply a lot easier when it was free. if the set bonus is changed without giving a reduction to heat, could it be placed somewhere else in the tree?

and sorry odawgg for all the reading :p

Edited by oaceen

Ok, this might seem like a silly suggestion, but as BH and Cmdo only get 3 questions each, could have BH focus on Arsenal(Gunnery) and Cmdo focus on Assault (Pyrotech). Or pool together questions both want answered so we can strategically get the most bang for our buck.

i was thinking about this too. if we are having trouble coming up with 3 clear top issues, this would definitely be a good way to go.

i think we should also keep in mind that things could possibly change between the first and second round of questions.

Ok, this might seem like a silly suggestion, but as BH and Cmdo only get 3 questions each, could have BH focus on Arsenal(Gunnery) and Cmdo focus on Assault (Pyrotech). Or pool together questions both want answered so we can strategically get the most bang for our buck.

Well if Im not mistaken, the Mercenary questions will come before 2.4 releases, and then the Commando ones will be after 2.4.

I think that right now it would be best to focus on the most glaring issues (imo utility cooldowns and pyro/assault), and maybe when 2.4 hits we will see a few tweaks to improve the areas where our class is lacking.

Well if Im not mistaken, the Mercenary questions will come before 2.4 releases, and then the Commando ones will be after 2.4.

I think that right now it would be best to focus on the most glaring issues (imo utility cooldowns and pyro/assault), and maybe when 2.4 hits we will see a few tweaks to improve the areas where our class is lacking.

This ^^^^^^^^

And what about Bodyguard then?

The most important issue is ammo management. A reduced utility cooldown doesnt give us a raid spot over Gunslingers and Sentinels.

Edited by AMightyKnight

The most important issue is ammo management. A reduced utility cooldown doesnt give us a raid spot over Gunslingers and Sentinels.

i would agree with this, but only insomuch as it affects gunnery/arsenal and, to a lesser extent, combat medic/bodyguard

i don't think pyro/assault deal with ammo management, but the spec has a lot of other glaring issues at the moment.

And what about Bodyguard then?

LOL. That's exactly what I was thinking...

I'm only just coming back to playing my Merc (Bodyguard), since I pretty much burned myself out on the existing PvE content that's currently out there.

So just restricting my comments to healing PvE at this stage:-

I know from my own HPS parses and those from the other healing classes, that our healing throughput and production relative to resource is pretty much in line with them. Our own personal survivability, if anything, I'd say is slightly better of the 3 -- but that might be because I run with some players who take a few 'risks'. ;)

I would agree though that there appear to be quite a few semi-redundant skills (that have already been mentioned before) with considerable cooldowns that rarely, if ever, get used. I would like to ask what the original purpose was for these quasi-utility skills, and whether those purposes are still relevant, given the amount of change that has taken place since the AC was launched. As per the last few comments on this thread, I'm not going to go to the bother of suggesting alternatives, since that's not necessarily what they seem to be asking for during this process. But it would be useful to know whether they still view these skills as fulfilling our most important utility needs, with the current specifications available.

Edited by Cody-licious

I posted this in the commando forums originally. Most of it uses that terminology, but since we now know the format for the three questions (1 PVE, 1 PVP, 1 free question), I was thinking it should look something like this:

1) PVE Question: Each spec has it's own concerns in PVE which we would like the developers to comment on individually.

Gunnery: With the nerfing of Special munitions (reducing it's overall effectiveness while simultaneously tripling the cost for that full lessened effect) in combination with the change to the 4 piece PVE eliminator's set bonus, ammo management on Gunnery has become very very tight to the point that incredibly high play is required ti milk competitive numbers out of the spec, while any screw up is very harshly punished (since the ammo management tools we do have almost have to be used offensively to keep up good damage). This is such a big issue that use of the old Dread Guard 4 piece set bonus results in the same or better DPS as using the Underworld 4 piece set bonus (possibly kell dragon as well? Odawgg could you comment?) despite the net loss of 72.96 aim between DG and UW (accounting for the 14% boost we get when buffed) with its accompanying penalties to critical hit rate and bonus damage. It seems that either a buff to special munitions or a retuning of the current eliminator set bonus to have both the cost reduction and the damage boost to HiB would be the easiest fix. Given this fact

Assault: The spec is borked. Cash or Gyro could better explain. This post is mostly a template, especially when I don't feel fully qualified to comment, but certainly the fact that leaving out the top talent seems to be the optimal configuration, as well as its general inferiority to gunnery which Gyro has already gone into should be mentioned.

Combat Medic: There are issues, people who play combat medic full time could more adequately explain. Frontline medic is a bad talent on its own anyway, and ESPECIALLY because the two points are required for Probe medic. Someone who has an extensive knowledge of using CM in HM or NiM ops would be better equipped to discuss concerns for this spec.

Could the devs comment on these concerns, and their own vision for each spec in a PVE setting?

Remark: To hear some tell it Ammo management is not an Assault Problem, and Assault is so borked at the moment that it deserves its own mention. Additionally some say ammo is no problem in PVE for CM, and others disagree and I don't have enough healing experience to comment either way. I feel The specs should have their own biggest concerns clearly indicated since sans ammo management I can't think of any overriding issue that affects all three specs in PVE, and talking about only one spec is disingenuous since we have healers as well as DPSers, and pretty much all of the DPSers have concerns about both gunnery and assault (even I'd like to mix it up sometimes). Additionally, one could also ask for the addition of an actual offensive cooldown, though that's somewhat addressed by question 3.

2) PVP question: Again I'm not prepared to comment on the current state of Commando in PVP, especially in a ranked setting, in anything like the level it deserves. I will say that I personally believe that a lack of utility seems to continue to be our overriding issue. I would probably copy/paste Jherad's previous post in this thread as far as utility suggestions for each spec since, again, each spec's utility requirements are somewhat different. I would note that I fully suggest the addition of either a baseline slow (independent of spec, and not requiring self rooting on our post) on a reasonable cooldown, or a baseline root that doesn't require melee range to use properly. Also, personally I still feel that 90s is too long a lockout on Electronet, but again that concern may not hold up in practice.

Gunnery: Placeholder for format purposes, copy what Jherad said.

Assault: See above, also still borked.

Combat Medic: See above.

Remark: General utility here seems most important to me so maybe we don't need a spec by spec breakdown, but again I'm just not fully equipped to discuss it.

3) For the free question, to me the most important overriding issue not already previously addressed by any of the above is the plethora of abilities whose benefit is all out of proportion with their usability. To me the biggest culprits are: Tech Override/Power Surge, Adrenaline Rush/Kolto Overload, Plasma Grenade/Fusion Missile, and Reserve Powercell/Thermal Sensor Override.

Tech Override/Power Surge: I've touched on this already, and Cash practically led the charge on this and RP back when 2.0 was on the PTS, but 1 instant cast every 2 minutes baseline (2 consecutive instant casts every 90 seconds in gunnery) is just awful for a level 46 ability. It does literally nothing to help us do more damage or be more ammo/heat efficient in PVE, and it's the tiniest of bandaids in PVP when trying to cast under pressure. I've almost always used it to get an instant cast concussion round/concussion missile off in either environment. The talent in gunnery/arsenal is nice, but I'd honestly rather have that buff applied to RP/TSO in PVE, whereas two instant CBs/PSs in PVP Assault/Pyro (assuming they fix that tree) would be pretty nice. Either way the cooldown is way way too long for the benefit it provides, and if they insist on only 1 to 2 instant casts then the cooldown needs to be dropped to 60 seconds. If they insist on a 2 minute baseline cooldown the effect should last for 10-12 seconds and I'd like to see it come with a cost reduction for all ammo skills while active. Not make everything free, but maybe a 50% cost to ammo/heat spending skills or increased ammo regen for the duration. Better yet give us an actual offensive cooldown. Give me battle focus/explosive fuel. I will rock faces with it.

Plasma Grenade/Fusion Missile: The only real problems with this skill is its ridiculous cost. It has the cost of a spammable low damage 5 target AoE like Hail of Bolts or Sweeping Blasters, but a 30 second cooldown, and only hits three targets. It really is pretty awesome for single target damage so I don't even mind the low target threshold, especially since its in keeping with other grenade/missile abilities, but the cost needs to be cut in half at least. Actually giving it a cost of 8-10 ammo would help our ammo out quite nicely since I'm sure both DPS specs would be using it on cooldown and something like a good damage ammo neutral ability would help address the above issue nicely. Generally to keep an ability from being OP it either has a decent length cooldown or an absurd cost. PG/FM has both, and that is dumb.

Adrenaline Rush/Kolto Overload: A 90 second effect which, when you are below 30% health triggers a semi hot on you for 8 seconds which constantly tries to heal you up to, but not exceeding, 30% health, and then triggers a 3 minute cooldown. Are you serious? This is an ability that is literally only used because its there and is psychologically better than nothing. I would be hard pressed to find an ability in this entire game whose effect and usefulness was more out of all proportion with its cooldown. I have no clue why this ability was reworked, but it needs to be reworked again. With a 3 minute cooldown it should trigger immediately and keep healing you for all 8 seconds. Even as good as that would be I would argue the cooldown should be 2 minutes instead of 3, but even so, an adrenaline rush that worked like that would actually have some very nice survivability uses in both PVE and PVP. Note that it wouldn't allow us to cheese big hits that are supposed to one shot us since if we take more damage in one instant than we have HP we die regardless, but its applications for making lives easier on healers are just endless. I understand that VGs/PTs have a talent which makes it better, but that talent could be changed and I think they'd be fine with an overall much better adrenaline rush.

Reserve Powercell/Thermal Sensor Override: Again the effect is nice but we get exactly one free ability every 2 minutes (90 seconds if you're in assault), which is the teeniest tiniest band aid to ammo management ever. Again, if you're only gonna allow it to work on one ability, lower the cooldown to a minute. If you're going to keep the 2 minute cooldown, then give me 10 seconds of absolute free casting. Personally the former option seems more balanced, but either way this and Tech Override feel more like abilities I'd see in a Final Fantasy MMO than like anything else in SWTOR.

I would like to know if any of the above abilities could be reworked to make them more usable and bring them more in line with other cooldowns and abilities in the game.

Remark: Obviously this is a copy/paste of something I've posted before since I didn't feel like reinventing the wheel, but I feel this question is still completely valid. In particular the points about Tech Override and Reserve Powercell. To my knowledge there is not another 2 minute cooldown in the entire game that has such a long cooldown and only affects one ability. Force Potency/Recklessness has a 90 seconds cooldown baseline, affects two abilities baseline, and is a 60% improvement to force critical hit rate, which charges only consumed if the ability used actually criticals or if that ability is Force Lightning. Laze Target/Smugglers luck is a 100% boost in critical hit rate to your next snipe/charged burst and is only on a 60s cooldown. Those are the only two abilities I'm even aware of that act like TO and RP do affecting only one ability, and their usability as well as their actual effect is much much better.

Anyway I'd structure it something like this if I were you Cash.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

the only issues I would like mentioned really are about heat, set bonuses, and improving electronet so it doesnt have such an insanely over the top CD. 2 of those are related as the old set bonus for merc dps would help with our heat management. I really wish they would separate arsenal and pyro and give them their own unique set bonuses. that way Pyro gets their improved dmg with RS while arsenal retains its heat management with the no cost RS. I really miss my old 4 piece. If they really want to help us perhaps they could just alter some of the heat costs in general and give us a better 4 pc bonus ie dmg boost to HSM instead of RS.

As for electronet its very nice for us to have a dot and something to help in pvp vs charges etc, but the CD right now is a bit insane. in pve setting we only get to use it like 3 or 4 times during most fights and in pvp its only good to prevent some jugg or marauder from ****** us every 90s. Charge has such a small cd when compared to electronet and leaves us vulnerable to those melee classes. Need BW to lower that CD to 30s. Also I wouldnt mind getting a regular slow skill that we can cast similiar to leg shot. Would be so nice to have in pve and pvp