what are the 3 changes you need to see in the Merc class?

stockwizzle

Please by all means, GATHER ALL BODYGUARDS! I want to hear their feedback as well

Im certainly not the most experience Merc/Mando healer, but Ive dont it a fair amount in both regs and ranked.

My biggest gripe is that ammo/heat management has almost no wiggle room, compared to Scoun/Ops healers that probably couldnt run out of energy if they tried. Also, our ability to heal while mobile is pretty bad.

Aux and I were spitballing some ideas about stuff that could be done with Bacta Infusion to improve both aspects. This is the thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=662850

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main qualm with merc/mando heals at the moment is the inability to increase dissipation/ammo regen while vent/recharge is on cooldown. Compared to other healers we don't really have a solid rotation for managing our heat. Sorcs can consume and go "force positive" in their rotation at any time, maintaining relatively high HPS while regenerating resource. Operatives can Diagnostic Scan during downtime to keep their resource high in additional to their adrenaline probe. Merc/mandos need another way to regen. All we can do is spam RS/HS when we go over 60/40, which really hampers our HPS.

We either need a small regen attached to a no cooldown ability or a moderate regen attached to a moderate cooldown ability. I think attaching a small regen to rapid shots would be ok or possibly adding a regen component to thermal sensor overrides would be somewhat effective. I would prefer an active solution rather than just adding another cooldown to manage, but either way we need another way to get us back down to where we need to be quickly while not causing a major loss in HPS. I hate feeling helpless as a healer knowing that if $&!@ hits the fan while my vent heat is cooling down, there will be no way for me to help recover because I can't risk going over on resource with no way to get back.

As a secondary concern, I feel that overall despite our heavy armor, mercs/mandos are the least survivable out of the 3 healer classes in pvp. We have less ability to escape/mitigate than others, and while it is better than it used to be, we still need some improvements in the pvp utility department.

Edited by Ivaed

Energy Shield

As a merc healer with considerable experience in pvp one of the things that truly bother's me is how long of a cd is on our energy shield. With the increase in damage + chaining of cc's, 12 seconds of energy shield can effectively be locked down. It used to be a 15 second cd before the set bonus change to increase hydraulic overrides. But now it's shorter, while everyone else's cd is much shorter.

The fact is, we can be locked down perpetually on our main heals without a single stun, by many melee classes with a short cd on interrupts. Which means we can't force them to stun us before our energy shield comes up, which means that unlike 1.1 we cannot white bar heal for 15 seconds reliably.

Because of that we Energy shield's utility has dropped dramatically.

Mobility

Mobility as a mercenary healer is also an issue. We have 25 second hydraulic overrides, which under focus is pretty useless since it only last 6 seconds and forces us to move. (we don't have many instant heals that are not cooldown based.) It's not 10 seconds like arsenal, so again it's an ability that can be negated by say, stuns. Pretty much means, we can be locked into a place without a reliable escape in comparison to operatives and sorcs. It reminds me of how the developers thought we had great escapability around corners.

We need a hinder effect/root on our knockback, as opposed to only a slow. Since it's not like the past where there is a sweet spot in range between most dps now (shorter cd on leaps and multiple types of leaps) it's often time just let's them rebuild rage. Giving us some time to duck behind a pillar would be nice.

Not to mention, considering we are so cast dependant, it's surprising that operatives get cover, while we who need to actually stop and cast don't. Again why we need stuff like the hinder effect.

Perhaps making it so our hydraulic override also gives us stun immunity for 4 seconds after popping it, or resets the cooldown on power surge/tech override, would also address how mobility doesn't really combine well with a caster heal.

Roll and force speed both concentrate the movement, which allows for space building to only take a short time where they can continue with casts soon afterwards.

Alacrity

With 2.0 occurred, our casts were so much easier to stop than in the past. The way things are now, it would really help if they restored the nerfs to our 5% alacrity talent through critical hits/heals, and the 2% back to 4% in the pyrotech tree alacrity skill.

Also to divorce cast speed alacrity and instant alacrity that way we actually benefit properly from the changes.

I honestly think one thing that would set mercs apart from operatives and sorcs, if they made our casts faster, would be also to give our casted heals 100% pushback reduction. It would really help against the fact that we take a lot of focus in general. That combined with hinderlike effects would give us guaranteed room to actually get a casted heal off one or two times.

[Resource Management]

Mercenary/commando resource management is so much more difficult to handle then say sorcs and operatives.

One of the great disparities in this game is our supercharged gas cylinder charges vs tactical advantage.

They need to either reduce the number of charges we need to generate, or increase the effect it does. Actually I think supercharged gas cylinder should give us alacrity as well as increased healing/damage done. And popping it should increase our alacrity even further.

Also critical efficiency nerf was probably one of the most painful things I've ever seen in this game. They either need to buff the effect or change it away from a 3 point talent. It's not comparable to other 3 point 4th tier talents. Just look at the arsenal equivalent and you can see obviously.

Also the alacrity buff we get from popping vent heat lasts too short with only a 6 second time period. It would be nice if it was 10 seconds and similar to mental alacrity, as in it granted interrupt immunity. Would be nice for the other merc specs too.

Kolto shell

We have too many points in this for it to be stuck on only one person. I can see how awesome it is in pve, especially if it were able to be on two people (two tanks) but in pvp, it really needs to be able to be put on multiple people.

Also divorce the talent where if we rapid shot the enemy from buffing the actual kolto shell. Give us choice so we can choose talents that we actually will find useful.

Channeled Heal

We need one on a cd, that way we can guarantee some healing off when we're going to be interrupted. Giving us more variety heals will give us more choice. Additionally we need more heal over time to our heals. Or perhaps a small little barrier ability, that way we can prepare our heals. It's similar to say a Wish in final fantasy. The ability to heal someone and then have it happen say 5 seconds later is really really nice. It's also something the other healers have.

Please by all means, GATHER ALL BODYGUARDS! I want to hear their feedback as well

Ill copy paste what i posted on a commando thread:

Bodyguard is not completly broken, it doesnt need new abilities or anything, just a few fixes on the existing ones.

- Kolto Shell is horrible as it is right now, perhaps having it increase the armor on whoever its currently on would help, or make it so you can put it on more than 1 person at a time (like 3 or more). Heck, make it heal more and it would be something. This ability needs love, thats a fact.

- One of the biggest issues is ammo management, so maybe making emergency scan restore ammo/vent heat like the 36 point ability for tank powertechs would help a bit.

- I do not understand why Kolto Missile has a 4 target limitation. Make the ability Kolto Pods (so only healers get this) increase the targets for the initial hit of the heal (up to 8 targets).

I believe these 3 changes would improve merc healing a bit, enough to compete with the other 2.

Not sure if this would be too much of a buff or not but I'll throw it out there anyways. I'd like to see the critical efficiency talent grant 2 charges. This would make it easier for merc healers to manage their heat while casting back to back rapid scans. The current merc healer struggles in only one aspect of healing, "continuous single target burst healing for long durations of time." I'm not sure if this extra "charge" on critical efficiency will fix anything, but I do know it will help.

There's my idea.

Ty Ty

Question would be: Would you consider opening up more continuous single target heals for merc bodyguards by adding another charge to critical efficiency? If not then what can merc healers look forward to in the future in regards to our heat management?

Edited by Rambeezy

Not sure if this would be too much of a buff or not but I'll throw it out there anyways. I'd like to see the critical efficiency talent grant 2 charges. This would make it easier for merc healers to manage their heat while casting back to back rapid scans. The current merc healer struggles in only one aspect of healing, "continuous single target burst healing for long durations of time." I'm not sure if this extra "charge" on critical efficiency will fix anything, but I do know it will help.

There's my idea.

Ty Ty

Question would be: Would you consider opening up more continuous single target heals for merc bodyguards by adding another charge to critical efficiency? If not then what can merc healers look forward to in the future in regards to our heat management?

That would really make critical efficiency more comparable to the older version and worth three y talent points.

Actually, I think we really only need two changes:

1) ElectroDart range back to 30/30+ metres.

2) Some kind of big gap-creator, analoguous to the Sniper/Gunslinger's escape dive-roll. (We have jet-packs. Why not make a similar move called, like "Emergency Jet-Pack Boost," or something?)

IME/IMHO, it's our class' main weakness:

We do what we do from range, but we've no real way to dictate range. (No,, Hydraulic Overrides isn't really enough, although it helps a lot.)

Actually, I think we really only need two changes:

1) ElectroDart range back to 30/30+ metres.

2) Some kind of big gap-creator, analoguous to the Sniper/Gunslinger's escape dive-roll. (We have jet-packs. Why not make a similar move called, like "Emergency Jet-Pack Boost," or something?)

IME/IMHO, it's our class' main weakness:

We do what we do from range, but we've no real way to dictate range. (No,, Hydraulic Overrides isn't really enough, although it helps a lot.)

There's more to this game than PVP.

3 questions should be.

Are y'all planning on changing the current heat requirements for certain moves to make managing heat easier or are we getting something else to bring down our heat usage?

What changes are going to be made to help the many weaknesses we have in pvp?

Is there anything planned for pyro?

Ty

There's more to this game than PVP.

But classes in games that have PvP are balanced around PvP of necessity.

Sorry, but that's the way it works, and there are reasons for this.

And if you're having issues with a merc --especially an Arsen'-- in almost any of this game's PvE content, then you really need to learn to play.

Edited by midianlord

But classes in games that have PvP are balanced around PvP of necessity.

Sorry, but that's the way it works, and there are reasons for this.

And if you're having issues with a merc --especially an Arsen'-- in almost any of this game's PvE content, then you really need to learn to play.

If you don't actually know of Gunnery/Arsenal issues in PVE, especially compared to other similar turret specs, then kindly don't post again until you've bothered to correct your insufferable ignorance.

This is coming from Donna, CM Mando healer from the Shadowlands and a sparkle powder addict.

1. When doing your internal testing for Commando specs(assault/gunnery/CombatMedic) in both pve and pvp what gear/spec do you use to evaluate whether it is meeting your metrics? For each armoring/mod/enhancement, what did you choose in order to see what you believed to be that target point for where you wanted our class to be? What points in the trees did you take in skill trees while you were testing? Is there any way you can give us some perspective on how to reach that target point that you had in mind for each spec in both pve and pvp?

This should give us a better perspective of where the devs minds are towards out class and help us altogether get on a better page, because they had to think changes like AP and frontline medic were valuable talents at some point, right?

2. Wanna know what the purpose of medics are In a rated warzone since the other 2 healers bring more utility and have higher healin output while matching and surpassing our survability.

Sorry I don't know the merc terms :(

Blasphemy! :eek:

I kid tho, thats why I always listen to what people have to say regarding PvE. When it comes to that aspect of the game, I am a massive noob.

That makes us perfect rep counterparts...what is pvp?

That makes us perfect rep counterparts...what is pvp?

My merc wishlist:

1) Leave bodyguard as is (focus on preventing and mitigating damage)

2) turn arsenal into a healing spec that shoots kolto filled rockets (burst healing)

3) turn pyrotech into a healing spec that coats people in kolto (more dot oriented)

Edited by paowee

My merc wishlist:

1) Leave bodyguard as is (focus on preventing and mitigating damage)

2) turn arsenal into a healing spec that shoots kolto filled rockets (burst healing)

3) turn pyrotech into a healing spec that coats people in kolto (more dot oriented)

go back to your home!

If you don't actually know of Gunnery/Arsenal issues in PVE, especially compared to other similar turret specs, then kindly don't post again until you've bothered to correct your insufferable ignorance.

there are commandos on world first teams for pve but not on the top number one teams for ranked WZ think about it

Ive heard mercs are ok in pve, and they can do tons of damage.

In pvp we are too easy to shut, very suffering because of our casting nature. Lacking true defensive and movement abilities. HO is ok, i love it since AP. Double PS helps alot, but its too seldom to be an upper hand.

From arsenal pvp side of view i can wish:

1) Some movement trick to break melee range (i like pbaoe charge idea). Come on sins got teleportation, i cant get how do they do it in sw galaxy though.

2) Utility boost. How do we help our teammates? Kolto missile usage on cd, concussion missile taking years to cast? come on :D

3) Some changes to our predictable fight mechanics. it could be some powershots alternative. F.e. tracer applies tracer lock that is nice for ranged encounters, and powershot gives some different buff or debuff, helping to fight melee. Or involve missile blast somehow. Its so useless most the time.

Pyro:

1) TD reworked.

2) IM reworked.

3) Stun to 30m.

Ive heard mercs are ok in pve, and they can do tons of damage.

In pvp we are too easy to shut, very suffering because of our casting nature. Lacking true defensive and movement abilities. HO is ok, i love it since AP. Double PS helps alot, but its too seldom to be an upper hand.

From arsenal pvp side of view i can wish:

1) Some movement trick to break melee range (i like pbaoe charge idea). Come on sins got teleportation, i cant get how do they do it in sw galaxy though.

2) Utility boost. How do we help our teammates? Kolto missile usage on cd, concussion missile taking years to cast? come on :D

3) Some changes to our predictable fight mechanics. it could be some powershots alternative. F.e. tracer applies tracer lock that is nice for ranged encounters, and powershot gives some different buff or debuff, helping to fight melee. Or involve missile blast somehow. Its so useless most the time.

Pyro:

1) TD reworked.

2) IM reworked.

3) Stun to 30m.

concussion should be an instant cast, needs protection against interrupts,td needs to be fixed, cgc/powershot/missile blast could use a buff,kolto overload should bring you to 35-40%hp, an execute would help as well. Sniper need to be balanced or merc buffed.

Edited by MarkXXIV

I would like to add a very minor concern it seems compared to the other issues in this thread but it is an issue nonetheless. The return of the 30m stun that someone else mentioned. On styrak fight in nightmare sv Ive noticed at times that the beams depending on other people being resisted for knockbacks or stuns can get to a narrowing point where the short range on electro dart is not enough to be able to stun the target and prevent it from closing in during channel. In fact I died a couple of times before I switched it up and had to run the extra distance to stun earlier which results in a dps loss during a phase of a fight where you can absolutely not afford any downtime. It would be really nice if bioware would restore our distance on the stun since mercs are ranged. This would be great in both pve and pvp.