Pay to Win

Propane

Riiiiight, kinda how they are having to cut down the swtor dev team size and merge servers to give the illusion of more players? Also how they had to merge the Asian servers with the NA servers due to low player size?

Guess you missed the financial info on another thread? SWTOR earnings are up.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right - because they are squeezing every dollar out of the players.

"Hey guys we gunna give you a new Ewok companion! Just gotta let us grab another 10$ out of your wallet!"

Edited by Propane

There making two bucks profit instead of a buck fifty? Nice stuff. Earnings are all that matters though, good ol' dial it in sequel and day one DLC, coming right up!

Right.

I'm going to help this along a bit, since it seems a bunch of canines here are chasing their tails....

Having to pay a sub to remove F2P restrictions is not P2W any more than not playing a game, then subscribing to play would be.

By that token ALL MMOS ARE PAY TO WIN. And that is fine by me.

So, getting that rediculous back and forth put to bed with a nice warm glass of milk, on to the discussion we SHOULD be having IMO.

Is F2P too restrictive?

I think this is a conversation that can be had, I've presented some suggestions in the past. First, I think that the lack of ability to at least be able to unlock normal mail between your legacy characters is draconian....not to mention the gated rewards...restricting Purple gear use is silly IMO.

Now, I support things like the flashpoint and OP restrictions...I think that is fine and is a pretty good renewable income source. You have no interest in that side of the game...no need to purchase it.

But there are restrictions in place that CAN NOT be unlocked by paying money and I think that is silly....your encouraging a sub...ok, that seems fine, but it seems to me that more money can be made by offering those items you have as sub only that are not really ones that make subs feel appreciated...like the mail.

Instead, subs should have things like group summon, presence boosts based on legacy level, stronger XP boosts, reduced crafting times, higher crits, faster travel (fade out/in option), etc.

I'm not suggesting that F2P and preferred players should get everything...far from it. But they should not have gameplay gates....my guess would be that most F2P players are casual, casuals like to engage in alternate gameplay styles, crafting is one of those things....and mail restrictions make that very difficult.

Just my two cents. There is room to make F2P more appealing.

"Hey guys we gunna give you a new Ewok companion! Just gotta let us grab another 10$ out of your wallet!"

A couple of posts ago you claimed that they could 'easily' have supported the game just through the CM. Now you complain about something being offered only via the CM?

Logic not your strong suite?

A couple of posts ago you claimed that they could 'easily' have supported the game just through the CM. Now you complain about something being offered only via the CM?

Logic not your strong suite?

:rolleyes:

Yes see that 10$ they just stole out of your wallet on the Ewok? Yeah that could be used to support the game. No, I wasn't complaining about it - don't assume things.

Edited by Propane

Why should I have searched them?

I asked you to give me the full list of f2p mmos and not just a selection.

Okay search in that new device called "Google" F2P mmo's. Every one of their forums are open to the public.

Do you want to know why? They want feedback from their players. EA on this hand just wants to continue their cash cow and they are gunna ignore everything else.

Edited by Propane

Yes see that 10$ they just stole out of your wallet on the Ewok? Yeah that could be used to support the game. No, I wasn't complaining about it - don't assume things.

You were complaining about them 'squeezing' the player base for dollars, and gave the Ewok as an example. If you don't want to be misunderstood maybe you should be clearer when you post.

And the money spent on the Ewok is being used to support the game in just the same way as all the other income.

BTW, they didn't steal anything from anyone's wallet, least of all mine. People choose what to spend and where.

You know that all server merges were pre f2p, so there goes that argument

Yeah, they went "Glorified Demo" pretty much a month after the server merges because they realized all about 5 people were playing them.

They're merging again though, which is a pretty awful sign. No no releases, "F2P", Middle of the summer so the biggest MMO Market is obviously huge now, and they are still planning on making merges?

If SWTOR's plan was to die a slow death after being murdered by EA, Project success!

Learn to read, my question wasn't "how" it was "why"

As in why should I invest any more time in this thread?

Because you asked for free MMO's with open forums (which is all of them) and now that I gave it to you, you are trying to beat around that bush.

Okay search in that new device called "Google" F2P mmo's. Every one of their forums are open to the public.

Do you want to know why? They want feedback from their players. EA on this hand just wants to continue their cash cow and they are gunna ignore everything else.

You must have missed this one:

http://co.perfectworld.com/freetoplay

The 'limited access' to forums mentioned there means they have a special forum just for F2P players and some limited access to one or two others. No quite the situation that applies here but there are plenty of complaints about it. And yes, I was a subscriber for a time.

Come to that, take a look at the restrictions on F2P players. Not quite as draconian as SWTOR but pretty close in terms of impact on gameplay experience.

Yeah, they went "Glorified Demo" pretty much a month after the server merges because they realized all about 5 people were playing them.

They're merging again though, which is a pretty awful sign. No no releases, "F2P", Middle of the summer so the biggest MMO Market is obviously huge now, and they are still planning on making merges?

If SWTOR's plan was to die a slow death after being murdered by EA, Project success!

With the merges do you mean the asian/pacific servers?

The best thing you can do to show them that they can no longer do this with you, is unsubscribing and never playing another EA game again until they changed their direction :rolleyes:

The 'limited access' to forums mentioned there means they have a special forum just for F2P players and some limited access to one or two others. No quite the situation that applies here but there are plenty of complaints about it. And yes, I was a subscriber for a time.

Come to that, take a look at the restrictions on F2P players. Not quite as draconian as SWTOR but pretty close in terms of impact on gameplay experience.

They can still post.

But here: CO didn't leave out the parts in a MMO that make a MMO a MMO like swtor did in their f2p model.

Edited by Propane

Pretty certain that Bioware doesn't prevent players from entering their factions respective hubs (Rep/Imp fleets), which is what makes a MMO a MMO.

Grouping up with different people, killing harder mobs for better loot, that isn't the sole domain of MMOs.

They can still post.

But only in a 'ghetto' which makes their opinions easy to ignore. Which was your point, was it not?

But here: CO didn't leave out the parts in a MMO that make a MMO a MMO like swtor did in their f2p model.

F2P players in SWTOR have access to core MMO play. Limited access, but access nonetheless.

And I already stated that the restrictions in CO were less draconian than in SWTOR.

Personally I think that BW could ease back on the F2P restrictions a little without cheapening the Sub option. But that isn't the same as calling the current model P2W or anything close.

Personally I think that BW could ease back on the F2P restrictions a little without cheapening the Sub option. But that isn't the same as calling the current model P2W or anything close.

I agree. There is definitely a discussion to be had about whether people feel that the F2P restrictions are too strong, though it's hard to make a good case to change it as long as people are paying. But I wouldn't classify it as P2W personally.

you'd be surprised. I have played that game and what I noticed is that before I had decent inventory and storage space for 2 characters I already spent 30-40 bucks. Oh and the world and cities are very generic and very big. This means you must buy a mount or forever be walking and walking and walking...these don't come cheap either.

There are games out there where you can only do endgame by paying for it. Friends of mine played games like that and spent 30+ bucks a month just to be able to get the full experience. F2P isn't cheaper. What people here don't realise that F2P here actually gets quite a bit and can buy most things with credits in game as far as upgrades and such are concerned and there's lots of people with subs happy to buy them with cc and sell them for credits.

Really most F2P games are actually quite expensive unless you are willing to do with huge speed and inventory restrictions etc. Otherwise, get ready to pull your wallet.

People always just look at one aspect and say OMG that other games is so cheap, just because they don't have to pay for one or two items. Reality is they will get your money for something and when it's F2P the cash shop marketing is much more aggressive. Just an example from perfect world, since you used them as an example. They announce cash shop discounts and such in game. It will appear in your chat and right in the middle of your screen during your gaming session.

People here should be really careful what they are asking for. SWTOR will not be the same game if it went full F2P. Thank goodness it's not like those games. And unless you've played F2P games to some extent, people just don't know what they're asking for.

Edited by Tsillah

You mean the Ewok we can get also get for credits and a Legacy level that most veteran players already have?

That cash grab Ewok?

You mean the Ewok we can get also get for credits and a Legacy level that most veteran players already have?

That cash grab Ewok?

Because a Legacy level and some credits really loosen up the other problems? lolwut. Ewok isn't a cash grab, the cash grab is the subscription. Ewok is a "stupid test", do you waste 10$ on something completely frivolous or no? It seems you have.

So in other words the two people who agree that this game is P2W want everything for free, expect that the game will be developed to their specifications, and that there will be nothing "frivolous" in the game. I am curious where money for development will come from?

The Cartel Market isn't - the restrictions are.

So you expect to play a game that cost over $200 million to develop, for absolutely nothing, and have full access to all features.

Imagine if everything in life was free...

Edited by BlueArab