What's with all the ganking??

mitrikzoltan

I returned to TOR about 2 weeks ago, resubbed, because I really like the direction TOR is going. BTW, kudos Bioware!

I play on Tomb of Freedon Nadd. And there is a really serious issue (in my opinion). Ganking. LVL 55's in PVP gear making it impossible to use the game as it was intended from LVL 30+. But it's not getting any better at 55 either. Guess what chance you have against 2, but even just one fully PVP geared dude, in your average or basic gear?

And they don't just fight and go on, they stick around, kill you over and over and over, at the resurrection point, and dance on your corpse because they feel like they accomplished something, killing someone 20 levels below.

Man these guys must have small d***s...

I think the original design for the worlds really backfired. Bioware separated imps and reps on the planets, so when you level, you hardly ever see someone (of your same level) for some healthy world pvp. They did this to prevent ganking. Now in my opinion there is a huge problem. I have no intention of playing on a PVE server, because I love world pvp (on the rare occasion it happens.. sometimes on Tatooine) but I won't resub, because I'm not able to log in and play when I have the time for it. F2P is enough for that, which makes me not hate the game :)

Anyhow, I was just ganked a few times, decided to vent here a little. And a question: Someone in raiding gear vs. someone in PVP gear: fair fight? Is it balanced, or if you want to feel "safe", you HAVE TO play warzones and gear up and wear that gear outside of raids?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand your point. You chose to roll on a PvP server and don't want to engage in PvP?

LOL. Did you read?

I love world PVP. When it's level appropriate. When I'm Lvl 31, I don't want a bunch of 55s killing me 6 times in 5 minutes.

LOL. Did you read?

I love world PVP. When it's level appropriate. When I'm Lvl 31, I don't want a bunch of 55s killing me 6 times in 5 minutes.

PVP. Player vs. Player.

Was that 55 controlled by a person? That's a player.

Is your 30 controlled by you? That's a player.

QED.

Protip: you don't get level appropriate open world PvP in MMOs, without having to also deal with gankers. PvP servers attract sociopaths who like to gank with impunity. They gank for ganking sake. If you can't cope with it.. don't roll on a PvP server in MMOs. There are a number of effective ways to mitigate gankers in this game (either passively, or aggressively). Get some friends or guild mates to come over and help gank the ganker IMO.

Probably what happened they were plaiyng with low levels and some smart *** 5 or 6 levels above them started ganking them. Then they got pissed and went on killing every dude on the instance just because in alderan that is very common. DId it leveling sniper and BH Edited by Torcatoth

LOL. Did you read?

Yes, what you've described wanting is what you find on a PvE ruleset in places like outlaw's den and Ilum prior to 1.2. However even there, you're far more likely to see uneven number of players than even numbers. Therefore, I'd have to suggest queing up for warzones where you get an 8v8 match and player skill largely determines the outcome.

Ganking is technically pvp and I agree that it's not cool, however, that is the fate you chose when you rolled on a pvp server, the possibility of a bunch of high levels rolling through your questing areas and giving you a hard time comes with the territory. If you're being camped switch to an alt for a little while and move on, otherwise just let your character stay dead and head out for a bit, go watch a movie, play a console game, etc.

It's a jungle out there on pvp servers, kill or be killed, no mercy given or asked for, if you can't handle it then server transfer.

Edit: I play exclusively on pvp servers, I've been ganked and done my share of ganking, had people rage at me, camp me, and done the same back. That's just how it goes.

Edited by Khayleth

LOL. Did you read?

The vast majority of MMOs that have open world PvP do not have level appropriate PvP, so ganking is always an issue. If ganking is not something you wish to deal with while questing, roll on a PVE server.

The basic problem is that PVE content and PvP don't really mix in a MMO. If a player is distracted by PvE content they will always be a target for ganking. Level limiting it won't change this. Even if equal levels, often the ganker will wait until their victim is busy fighting mobs or interacting with quests objects etc..

Personally whilst I love PvP, I never roll on PvP servers in story / quest driven MMOs because the majority of open world PvP is just ganking, there's very few fair or tactical fights.

I don't understand your point. You chose to roll on a PvP server and don't want to engage in PvP?

Ganking isn't PVP. Ganking is for people who have no PVP skill. It makes them feel good to pick on people who have no gear or level equality.

Gankers don't have the brains or skill to fight someone equal to themselves or better.

Edited by Lunafox

Ganking isn't PVP. Ganking is for people who have no PVP skill. It makes them feel good to pick on people who have no gear or level equality.

Gankers don't have the brains or skill to fight someone equal to themselves.

I don't disagree, that's why i'll always roll PvE. I'll do my pvp in fair contests in warzones and enjoy my time much more than sitting dead with no options.

This reminds me TIBIA. Why i did waste so much time on it?...

I do agree with majority of the posters. PVP world its filled with gankers and they act when you are busy or outnumbered or when there is many levels of diference.

You can make a ton on PVE server and flag for PVP i never didit but im pretty sure its possible.

Ganking isn't PVP. Ganking is for people who have no PVP skill.

:rolleyes: In other words... it's bad PvP. Bad Player versus Player.

But let's not pretend it's not player vs player. ;)

You are like the HR person who notifies someone that they've been "downsized" when what they really mean is "fired". :p

Edited by Andryah

Protip: you don't get level appropriate open world PvP in MMOs, without having to also deal with gankers. PvP servers attract sociopaths who like to gank with impunity. They gank for ganking sake. If you can't cope with it.. don't roll on a PvP server in MMOs. There are a number of effective ways to mitigate gankers in this game (either passively, or aggressively). Get some friends or guild mates to come over and help gank the ganker IMO.

Andryah, isn't Sociopath a bit strong?

I've gone after lowbies just to get my achievement points - Alderaan, Tatooine and Voss - I didn't do this before 2.0, but I love my AP:o

In the real world, when you go out in the jungle, it is not pre-arranged that all tigers you meet will be the same size as you are and its claws trimmed because otherwise the fight would not be fair. You had better be equipped to handle anything that comes your way, because if you aren't, you die.

If the jungle is too scary for you, stay inside!

The OP is why I don't ever roll on a PvP server. However even on PvE servers you get high levels going round healing mobs so low levels cant defeat them. However at least this seems less common.

Personally I like PvE servers with large open world PvP zones. Unfortuntly in TOR we get no PvP or entire PvP servers.

In the real world, when you go out in the jungle, it is not pre-arranged that all tigers you meet will be the same size as you are and its claws trimmed because otherwise the fight would not be fair. You had better be equipped to handle anything that comes your way, because if you aren't, you die.

If the jungle is too scary for you, stay inside!

This bleeds from so many wounds it scares me.

1, In the real world do you beat up 10 year old kids day after day, or just continually? I sure hope not.

2, If you have say a gun, and decide to shoot someone "out in the jungle" who has no gun, is it his/her fault for not being prepared?

And to step away from your very-very weird real world analogy and step back into SWTOR, how do you propose a Level 30 should prepare for a Level 55's 2 second kill out of nowhere?

The OP is why I don't ever roll on a PvP server. However even on PvE servers you get high levels going round healing mobs so low levels cant defeat them. However at least this seems less common.

Personally I like PvE servers with large open world PvP zones. Unfortuntly in TOR we get no PvP or entire PvP servers.

LOL, people actually do that? Haha, how messed up/bored do you have to be to heal mobs? :D

This made my day.

This bleeds from so many wounds it scares me.

1, In the real world do you beat up 10 year old kids day after day, or just continually? I sure hope not.

2, If you have say a gun, and decide to shoot someone "out in the jungle" who has no gun, is it his/her fault for not being prepared?

And to step away from your very-very weird real world analogy and step back into SWTOR, how do you propose a Level 30 should prepare for a Level 55's 2 second kill out of nowhere?

1) if you are 15 years old, and beating up a 10 year old day after day...the logical thing for the 10 year old to do is to get an adult or two involved or maybe even get a group of his friends to beat the crap out of that 15 year old

2) if you willingly go out into a wild jungle without a gun, that kinda makes you an idiot

But anyways, PVP servers are meant to be player enforced...in theory anyways. How do you do that? just like in my answer above, you get a group of guildies or friends to come and help out if you are getting ganked repeatedly or you ask in general chat on the planet you are on. Does this always work? unfortunately no. For most games, there is little to no reward or incentive to participate in WPVP. Why would a group of say 10-15 level 55s go to random planets and patrol to keep it safe for lowbies? So unless you have guildies or friends in game that you are close with you are SOL. Sometimes you might get lucky and a random 55 on the planet will be bored and come out to help you.

Edited by swtonewbie

Andryah, isn't Sociopath a bit strong?

I did not state that all gankers were sociopaths. :)

Only that PvP servers attract sociopaths and that they tend to like to like to gank with impunity. They also like all manner of other player grief inducing pass times as well. This does have a side benefit for guilds that like to be predatory towards predators though. In my guild.. we have in fact done that.. go hunting for gankers and get medieval on their arses. :D Vigilante justice works well on PvP servers from my experience. :)

Edited by Andryah