KBN's Guide to Combat Spec (or: how to sentinel tank)

Since I do not have any software for recording on my PC, nor do I care to do so, I will provide a combat log. You can check the entire thing if you like, but at 19:51:50.863 in the parse you see Dispatch hits ~.3 seconds after PS applies yet Dispatch is clearly activated first, and Dispatch hits for the damage you would suspect with PS up. Then I use both Master Strike and Blade Storm with PS still up, but with no Zen. Anyway, hopefully this can help you rival the 3028 DPS in 5 minutes I did in that parse. :p

This is pretty intriguing. Does this change the recommendations in this guide?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to note on the "pre-Dispatch within PS window". Combat log ordering is *not* reliable and does not reflect the order in which the game processes events. It's pretty easy to convince yourself of this when you look at real fights, or even when you look at the order on some things within a combat log (e.g. Hand of Justice appearing before the Ataru hit which proc'd it). The only sure indicator that Dispatch is receiving the PS benefit is the damage value.

This is pretty intriguing. Does this change the recommendations in this guide?

It is interesting. It might adjust something. I have been playing around a bit with moving Master Strike into the second window. Not ready to say that it's categorically superior yet, because even though the direct damage is better, the proc rate on OA is much lower, meaning that I can't always get a second Blade Storm. What I've been trying is the following IF Master Strike just came off CD:

PS + BS > BR > (Dispatch if HoJ; BR otherwise) > (focus builder) > PS + MS > BS > (Dispatch if not used earlier)

The discovery that you can Dispatch before PS and still get the benefit might push me to move the Dispatch into the Focus Builder slot, though the situations in which I didn't use it in the first window but can use it between windows are fairly infrequent.

Note that even with putting MS into the second window, I do *not* delay Master Strike more than 2 seconds (doing so proved to be a significant DPS loss in my testing). So, I use MS as soon as it comes up, unless PS is just about to come up naturally, in which case I'll use it in the second PS window (with or without Zen).

I'm still playing with it though. I'll update the guide when I'm confident in my results. One thing I *am* confident about is that I can absolutely break 3k with my gear (which is not really substantially better than what I reported before) and listed rotation. I had a 2927 (cropped from the end to 300s), and that included two premature HoJ procs (including in the opener), one Strike under PS, two non-procs on OA (where I had to use BR instead of BS), below-average crits and no adrenals. If the procs and crits weren't unfavorable, I hadn't derped my rotation in two places, and I had used adrenals, that parse would have easily broken 3k.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

One thing to note on the "pre-Dispatch within PS window". Combat log ordering is *not* reliable and does not reflect the order in which the game processes events. It's pretty easy to convince yourself of this when you look at real fights, or even when you look at the order on some things within a combat log (e.g. Hand of Justice appearing before the Ataru hit which proc'd it). The only sure indicator that Dispatch is receiving the PS benefit is the damage value.

Yet it is and I can personally verify that I use Dispatch before PS and as long as PS is used before the damage for Dispatch is shown on the client, you get the benefit. I just need to get more used to the spec as a whole.

Yet it is and I can personally verify that I use Dispatch before PS and as long as PS is used before the damage for Dispatch is shown on the client, you get the benefit. I just need to get more used to the spec as a whole.

Question: do you need to hit PS during the GCD interlude in order to make this work? If so, then how do you avoid running out of time at the end of the PS window for Blade Storm?

Question: do you need to hit PS during the GCD interlude in order to make this work? If so, then how do you avoid running out of time at the end of the PS window for Blade Storm?

Yes. If Dispatch has a 1.5 second GCD, PS hits at .6 in that (you could wait a bit later), so .9 seconds until you can use MS. The MS channel takes 3 seconds so you have .6 seconds left before PS is gone. My log seems to indicate it is .3 seconds from Activation of BS to when it does damage, so I have a third a second to spare. I will say the timing needs to be pretty near excellent for this to work (and little lag), but it is a very nice DPS increase. If I had better RNG (in that parse I had to wait almost 10 seconds after PS for HoJ to proc, while using BR constantly and later had HoJ proc right when before I used PS off CD) and did a few things better 3100 DPS I think would have been possible.

Edited by Emperor-Norton

I played around with valor 1 vs valor 2 the other night in TFB.

Save vs the actual TFB, I found I was able to Zen when Master Strike was ready/in a PS window just fine with Valor 1. However, I found the CD and odd moments throughout TFB having Valor 2 be worthwhile. Its really tempting to go with Valor 1 and Swift Slash, however I really disliked not having enough stacks set during the TFB boss fight. I could just about hit Trans every now and then while still getting Zen for Master Strike in just fine with Valor 2 in the rest of the boss fights (although, not much testing on Kephess given we one shotted him).

Oof and KBN, where am I missing the consistency needed for Valor 2? Or do you feel it could be a situational thing, or am I just not consistent enough in my rotation do you think?

Edited by Maelael

The 2-points in valor will be most obvious in fights where you take damage. S&V's Thrasher and Dash'roode are great examples. I would have thought in Dread Guard you would have seen a difference as well in Phase 1.

In any event, the boost to AoE is not bad, but it is dependent on the presence of adds. Since most boss fights are predominantly single target fights there is little value to spec into an ability that won't be used. (I know this is a bit of a generality.) Thus, minimal benefit from getting attacked (2 points in Valor) is better than any benefit in an ability you aren't using.

The 2-points in valor will be most obvious in fights where you take damage. S&V's Thrasher and Dash'roode are great examples. I would have thought in Dread Guard you would have seen a difference as well in Phase 1.

In any event, the boost to AoE is not bad, but it is dependent on the presence of adds. Since most boss fights are predominantly single target fights there is little value to spec into an ability that won't be used. (I know this is a bit of a generality.) Thus, minimal benefit from getting attacked (2 points in Valor) is better than any benefit in an ability you aren't using.

Not at all on Dread Guard, first attempt was 2 Valor, second attempt (where people didn't DC on phase 3...) was 1 Valor. However, did I misread Valor - I thought it was only from activated abilities?

At the same time, I would not have minded having an extra trans just in case on phase 3.

Of course, next round I'm gonna try watchman, but I want to make sure I learn both specs REALLY well in PvE as to have the options open to fit different situations.

(And thank you for the info!)

Edited by Maelael

Not at all on Dread Guard, first attempt was 2 Valor, second attempt (where people didn't DC on phase 3...) was 1 Valor. However, did I misread Valor - I thought it was only from activated abilities?

At the same time, I would not have minded having an extra trans just in case on phase 3.

Of course, next round I'm gonna try watchman, but I want to make sure I learn both specs REALLY well in PvE as to have the options open to fit different situations.

(And thank you for the info!)

Crap, I got confused. Defensive forms give you Centering when you are attacked, while Valor gives you double the Centering from resource-spending abilities.

The opposite of what I said is more true. In fights where you are taking frequent hits, two-points in valor will be less impactful. Still, it is always be a good thing to have.

First off, I absolutely LOVE this thread! Ever since I started leveling a Sent some months ago, I have been drawn to the intricacies of the Combat spec, and this guide has helped me quite a bit in improving my play. Anything in PvE is a breeze, but one thing I do still struggle with (and I have a feeling that most people new to PvP also struggle with) is the obscene amount of movement that comes into play. I have the "rotation" down well enough, I have decent gear; but the most obvious difference between PvE and PvP play in my mind is the fact that other players are CONSTANTLY on the move. The NPCs on the other hand barely move at all; they simply stand there shooting; stabbing at you, and it's very easy to keep track of your procs etc.

In PvP, things are much different, as players don't just stand there attacking. I have great difficulty with keeping my character moving around, keeping my eye on the guy I'm attacking, the action around me, AND my procs/CDs. It's just all too much to handle at once. When I begin my rotation, not 1 second after it starts, my opponent always seems to have moved and is now behind me attacking, or on my left attacking, or my right. Consequently I myself have to turn to avoid getting an error message stating I must be facing my target to attack it. By the time I do, they have already moved to a different position, all the while continuing to attack me!

Now, I understand that a certain amount of movement is required for certain classes, such as Assassins and Scoundrels, but it seems like even the "less mobile" classes like Juggs or Sorcerers are constantly on the move. Is this one of those things that simply requires practice to help with? Or is there another way everyone manages to keep track of everything at once? Keep in mind, I don't have top-of-the-line gaming software/computer, nor do I use keybindings (I use my mouse for abilities). Should that change when I play my Sent? Or is it just "practice makes perfect"?

First off, I absolutely LOVE this thread! Ever since I started leveling a Sent some months ago, I have been drawn to the intricacies of the Combat spec, and this guide has helped me quite a bit in improving my play. Anything in PvE is a breeze, but one thing I do still struggle with (and I have a feeling that most people new to PvP also struggle with) is the obscene amount of movement that comes into play. I have the "rotation" down well enough, I have decent gear; but the most obvious difference between PvE and PvP play in my mind is the fact that other players are CONSTANTLY on the move. The NPCs on the other hand barely move at all; they simply stand there shooting; stabbing at you, and it's very easy to keep track of your procs etc.

In PvP, things are much different, as players don't just stand there attacking. I have great difficulty with keeping my character moving around, keeping my eye on the guy I'm attacking, the action around me, AND my procs/CDs. It's just all too much to handle at once. When I begin my rotation, not 1 second after it starts, my opponent always seems to have moved and is now behind me attacking, or on my left attacking, or my right. Consequently I myself have to turn to avoid getting an error message stating I must be facing my target to attack it. By the time I do, they have already moved to a different position, all the while continuing to attack me!

Now, I understand that a certain amount of movement is required for certain classes, such as Assassins and Scoundrels, but it seems like even the "less mobile" classes like Juggs or Sorcerers are constantly on the move. Is this one of those things that simply requires practice to help with? Or is there another way everyone manages to keep track of everything at once? Keep in mind, I don't have top-of-the-line gaming software/computer, nor do I use keybindings (I use my mouse for abilities). Should that change when I play my Sent? Or is it just "practice makes perfect"?

Without using keybinds it will be very hard to keep up. I doubt you can be one of the top players by clicking.(pvp)

About premature Hand of Justice Proc: Thanks for your ideas, but correct me if I'm wrong: Force Leap roughly has a chance of proccing HoJ of a little less than 10%, Zealous Strike a little more than 20%, right?

So (very) roughly speaking we could say: In 3 out of 10 Trys you will have an opener with only one Precision window (that just about fits with what I see in practice). So the loss of DPS from that, multiplied by 0.3, would have to be less than the loss of DPS from not being able to fit in the last attack in the second precision window. Only then would opening with Zealous Strike before Precision Slash make sense in general, right? I doubt that, though...

About Valor: Taking into account the 4 pc PvE set bonus, I find maximum useage of Zen crucial to sustained DPS in boss fights, as APM is the most substantial factor in Combat specc and high APM means better proc chances.

If I have to move quickly like when escaping Womp Rats in Dash'roode fight, collecting puddles on Dreadguards or hiding from Titan's Launch , I try to do it by just using Force Camouflage, so I don't waste Centering. This plus two points in valor plus Defensive Forms gives me best results.

About PvP: I completely understand what you mean and it's one of the reasons why a lot of Sentinels play Focus specc, where the key DPS ability doesn't require a specific target, you have to cling to. But apart from that, keybinding is indeed a must, for you are, as you've said, constantly on the move, chasing your opponent or evading him...

About premature Hand of Justice Proc: Thanks for your ideas, but correct me if I'm wrong: Force Leap roughly has a chance of proccing HoJ of a little less than 10%, Zealous Strike a little more than 20%, right?

I get my Precision Slash in before the Ataru strike from Zealous Strike, so I only have to worry about Force Leap. It means I lose armor pen on the Ataru damage from my last hit in the first window, but that's a minor loss.

So (very) roughly speaking we could say: In 3 out of 10 Trys you will have an opener with only one Precision window (that just about fits with what I see in practice). So the loss of DPS from that, multiplied by 0.3, would have to be less than the loss of DPS from not being able to fit in the last attack in the second precision window. Only then would opening with Zealous Strike before Precision Slash make sense in general, right? I doubt that, though...

I haven't done the math yet. It seems pretty close either way though.

If I have to move quickly like when escaping Womp Rats in Dash'roode fight, collecting puddles on Dreadguards or hiding from Titan's Launch , I try to do it by just using Force Camouflage, so I don't waste Centering. This plus two points in valor plus Defensive Forms gives me best results.

If you need to escape the womp rats, just Awe and then walk back. The 15% speed boost from Ataru is more than enough to keep you ahead of the rats.

In PvP, things are much different, as players don't just stand there attacking. I have great difficulty with keeping my character moving around, keeping my eye on the guy I'm attacking, the action around me, AND my procs/CDs. It's just all too much to handle at once. When I begin my rotation, not 1 second after it starts, my opponent always seems to have moved and is now behind me attacking, or on my left attacking, or my right.

This spec requires strafing in PvP. No way around it. You cannot be a clicker and a good combat sent in PvP.

I was a long time clicker on both a sorc and a jugg, and I found I was way too slow on the jugg, so I forced myself to be a keybinder. Take your time with it, and do PvE. Get at least a two-side-button mouse like this, it will help, however a naga is better. One or the other can work (do not macro, that is against the ToS, although most top tier PvPers macro anyways), and rebind: Q E R T F G Z X C V B (I also did ` 1 2 3 4 5), and all 3+ of your new mouse buttons (dont forget the wheel). Start putting skills where you feel they are natural for you, think of it as order of importance. Mess around in pve for a while till you get used to the new setup, then go do some PvP, and expect to change it up a lot till you find what you like.

I used to use just a two-side-button mouse. Now I use a naga, and I'm really good at a circular-ish rotation with my thumb on the side of the mouse, so I just circle the buttons in order consistently. Takes some practice tho. Worked okay for the Jugg with the two-side-button, but was a bit rough on the Sent.

Most of the time it's about spamming your rotation or at least priority skills. If you have a hard time keeping up with procs in pvp, you have: http://froyosoft.com/torassistant.php

To be blunt: Switching to being a keybinder from a clicker and learning to strafe well SUCKS. Bad. Huge donkey balls. But you'll get it, and you'll love it.

Juggs and Sorcs

Actually, if the Juggs you're fighting are being "Less Mobile" you're fighting really bad juggs in any spec. They should be all over the place CCing, or in peoples faces strafing as well, etc. Only the Sorcs are turrets that will stay still to fight (alot of their skills require it), and they stay on the move as much as possible so they don't die. If they stand still too much unprotected, they're freekills (I love these kinds of sorcs). And since most of their hard hitting stuff requires them to stand still, you want them to keep moving. Snipers will also stay still, but thats a different problem and they have better CCs than the sorc.

Thx for the info about Precision Slash timing, that works very well!

About the Opener you've listed:

Opener

The first phase of the opener should look EXACTLY like the following:

Leap > (Inspiration + Valorous Call + Zen) Zealous Strike > (Relic + Adrenal) Precision Slash + Blade Rush > Master Strike > Twin Saber Throw

Isn't one charge of Zen "wasted" if put before Zealous Strike? I usually pop it inbetween Precision Slash and Blade Rush. Or am I missing something?

Thx for the info about Precision Slash timing, that works very well!

About the Opener you've listed:

Isn't one charge of Zen "wasted" if put before Zealous Strike? I usually pop it inbetween Precision Slash and Blade Rush. Or am I missing something?

Same here

There's no need. Combat starts the instant you leap, and accelerating Zealous Strike isn't a wasted charge since it gets you to your burst faster. It also gives you the opportunity to beat the Ataru strike without missing the last attack in the first window, which is really nice.

There really isn't a way to "waste" Zen charges. I don't even hesitate to Strike under Zen later on.

This spec requires strafing in PvP. No way around it. You cannot be a clicker and a good combat sent in PvP.

I was a long time clicker on both a sorc and a jugg, and I found I was way too slow on the jugg, so I forced myself to be a keybinder. Take your time with it, and do PvE. Get at least a two-side-button mouse like this, it will help, however a naga is better. One or the other can work (do not macro, that is against the ToS, although most top tier PvPers macro anyways), and rebind: Q E R T F G Z X C V B (I also did ` 1 2 3 4 5), and all 3+ of your new mouse buttons (dont forget the wheel). Start putting skills where you feel they are natural for you, think of it as order of importance. Mess around in pve for a while till you get used to the new setup, then go do some PvP, and expect to change it up a lot till you find what you like.

I used to use just a two-side-button mouse. Now I use a naga, and I'm really good at a circular-ish rotation with my thumb on the side of the mouse, so I just circle the buttons in order consistently. Takes some practice tho. Worked okay for the Jugg with the two-side-button, but was a bit rough on the Sent.

Most of the time it's about spamming your rotation or at least priority skills. If you have a hard time keeping up with procs in pvp, you have: http://froyosoft.com/torassistant.php

To be blunt: Switching to being a keybinder from a clicker and learning to strafe well SUCKS. Bad. Huge donkey balls. But you'll get it, and you'll love it.

Actually, if the Juggs you're fighting are being "Less Mobile" you're fighting really bad juggs in any spec. They should be all over the place CCing, or in peoples faces strafing as well, etc. Only the Sorcs are turrets that will stay still to fight (alot of their skills require it), and they stay on the move as much as possible so they don't die. If they stand still too much unprotected, they're freekills (I love these kinds of sorcs). And since most of their hard hitting stuff requires them to stand still, you want them to keep moving. Snipers will also stay still, but thats a different problem and they have better CCs than the sorc.

Hmm, I see. Well, I guess I have lots of work to do then. I'll still be sticking with Combat spec, since I do love how it plays, but having to switch to keybinding will be a struggle I'm sure. Thanks for all the useful info; much appreciated!

Hmm, I see. Well, I guess I have lots of work to do then. I'll still be sticking with Combat spec, since I do love how it plays, but having to switch to keybinding will be a struggle I'm sure. Thanks for all the useful info; much appreciated!

Just hang in there and do NOT give up. Keep switching around hotkeys, try shift+(key) stuff until you're comfortable. I know of people who don't use T G V B N due to the reach, it's just a matter of where you're comfortable.

I'm really super stubborn and it took me a week to really get used to keybinding, and then about 2 more weeks of screwing around (even just swapping ONE skill) until I was comfortable. Normal people should have an easier time, as Ive been a clicker since the EQ 1 days, 10+ years is a long time of habits to break (I really should go back to a few other games and see if I beat more *** due to being a keybinder now...)

Like I said, its gonna suck for a bit, but you'll love the results.

Edited by Maelael

This was my first MMO and I originally was a clicker. I bought a Naga and also read this article and watched some of his Swtor videos. He doesnt' use a Naga, so I adapted it to my playstyle, but it really helped my understanding of keybindings as well as general gameplay settings i.e camera depth, name plates.

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/

Just hang in there and do NOT give up. Keep switching around hotkeys, try shift+(key) stuff until you're comfortable. I know of people who don't use T G V B N due to the reach, it's just a matter of where you're comfortable.

I'm really super stubborn and it took me a week to really get used to keybinding, and then about 2 more weeks of screwing around (even just swapping ONE skill) until I was comfortable. Normal people should have an easier time, as Ive been a clicker since the EQ 1 days, 10+ years is a long time of habits to break (I really should go back to a few other games and see if I beat more *** due to being a keybinder now...)

Like I said, its gonna suck for a bit, but you'll love the results.

Thanks for the support man! What's really driving me crazy now is that I used to be SOOOO much faster at ability activation as a clicker, but now that I'm learning to keybind, my DPS has dropped significantly. I assume this is because I've still got a lot to learn, but the interesting thing is, clicking never really seemed like a slow way to do it. I mean, in the time it takes for the global CD to resolve, I always have my mouse over top of the next ability in my rotation, and since there is really no way to avoid the global CD, I assumed I was already at maximum speed. Switching to keybindings seemed pointless because I would still have to wait for the global CD before activating my next ability. Clicking also allows me to keep my attention more focused on my surroundings and only have to worry about strafing. What are your thoughts on this? If you're already ahead of the gobal CD as a clicker, is there still something to be gained from switching to keybindings?

If you're already ahead of the gobal CD as a clicker, is there still something to be gained from switching to keybindings?

• Easier movement with your mouse (mouselook).
  • Not having to look at your skillbars (at least not nearly as much as you would if you click everything) so you're more aware of your surroundings, contrary to what you claim.
  • Ability to use skills that do not respect global cooldown together with abilities that do, aka using 2 skills at the same time, which is essential as a Combat sentinel (Precision Slash) but also for offensive and defensive cooldowns.
  • Avoiding missclicks.
  • Ability to use your mouse to target.

There's probably/definitely tons more, some of which have been mentioned by others here, but these are just off the top of my head.

Edited by paulyWALNUTS

Walnuts hit a lot of good points.

Clicking also allows me to keep my attention more focused on my surroundings and only have to worry about strafing. What are your thoughts on this?

Here's the thing, when you keybind you get more attention to this, and more ability to do so. In PvP (and PvE out of habit...) my right mouse button is almost always down, so I can mouse-look move and utilize it to strafe. Go take a few, even on the fleet, and practice your circling and going back and forth inside an NPC (Simple strafing techniques). Try it without hitting any skills with keyboard turning. Then try it with right click and WASD. Then With WA D. Then with just W (you literally don't need more than W, but I still used ASD on and off). After it becomes a bit more natural, its WAY quicker and WAY more efficient. You cannot do that as a clicker. Now add in skills (even just dry firing them). You can't really do this well as a clicker (really, at all), but you can as a keybinder. Ideally you want to be able to strafe and swing constantly. Combat is actually an insane spec with this, if you hit the skilled Trans and just strafe the hell out of other melees, they really can't keep up with how fast you move around.

In terms of watching your GCD, your best options are to make floating windows of those skills, and place them somewhere together, or near your attention span. I have a box for all of my main attacks that sits on the bottom left, I know some people that do a row at the right, I've seen a row of them at the top, etc. Ideally its to group them all up to glance at to see two things: The skills' CD, and the GCD. That gives you one area to glance at quickly and make a decision of what to hit. Honestly the rotation is somewhat so standard, but at times so chaotic it doesn't really matter if you do it in perfect order in PvP.

I also have an extra floating row of three that are not keybound (theyre duplicates) right on top of my toon - it has Riposte, Dispatch, and in Combat spec, Precision slash. They are only there for a quicker eyesight so I know to hit them cause they are ready or just about off CD. They're really not needed with my bottom left box, but it's comfortable for me.

What are your thoughts on this? If you're already ahead of the gobal CD as a clicker, is there still something to be gained from switching to keybindings?

Its not really about being ahead of the GCD, its about freeing up your pointer to right click for strafe and look, click enemies, and gives you the ability, attention span, and time to devote to everything else instead of moving your mouse to a skill. Until it becomes an automatic thing (I have a feel for when the GCD is done now, like my brain has synced into 1.5 second-ish thinking, usually I'm hammering my next skill before GCD is done), you're essentially looking at every GCD:

Mouse Clicking:

GCD Timing

What is off or coming off CD

Moving your mouse to hit the skill

Hitting the skilll

Keybinding:

GCD Timing

What is off or coming off CD

Hitting the skill.

Thats one less thing to do/concentrate on, that frees up your mouse to look, strafe, or click people. Mostly, look and strafe.

Although you can group your clicked abilities well so that you don't have much mouse movement, at times its still a bit of a distance away unless you want severe clutter. Personally I'd rather be able to hit Medpack, Stim, Trans, Blade Storm in under a second WHILE strafing - and I cannot do that being a mouse clicker, especially if the skills aren't right next to eachother. Even PvE can be too chaotic to have your skill windows arranged perfectly for every situation - PvP is nuts.

Edited by Maelael