Love playing the game, too old for the population.

TheBBP

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP: Do you not have people to help within your guild? I find in my guild there's always people that need help with something and we seem to have a slow but steady stream of new people being added to the guild many of whom are new players and are happy to have assistance and guidance.

I hardly ever have general on and yet I have lots of people in my guild that I regularly help out. Maybe if your guild is not in a similar situation you could try recruiting? If you don't want to do it in general chat there are other avenues such as the server specific forums here and reddit and so forth.

Just a thought.

Don't like it, quit. Isn't that the standard reply these days for any form of complaint/criticism?

Unfortunately yes. Also " you are a troll", thats another response when you voice your opinion which someone doesn't agree with.

And the usual "Look at your post history" also, "im reporting you for flame baiting" are some of the many pathetic attempts these people try to ridicule you simply because they don't like whats being said.

Unfortunately yes. Also " you are a troll", thats another response when you voice your opinion which someone doesn't agree with.

And the usual "Look at your post history" also, "im reporting you for flame baiting" are some of the many pathetic attempts these people try to ridicule you simply because they don't like whats being said.

You calling someone else a troll?? Ahahahahahaha. Thanks for the laugh :D:D

So, I still enjoy playing quite a bit. However, the chat in fleet and just about every populated planet is so crass and juvenile that it is a turn-off to be around. Tonight I log into some junior high discussion about panties. No joke. I have gotten to the point where that sort of thing is no longer even remotely humorous.

If I turn off General Chat, I miss out on being able to help newer folks with their questions (helping folks is another fun part of the game for me) or any other legitimate discussion. I don't want to ignore all the folks, because I am sure that they aren't bad folks, I just don't want to be party to their public and juvenile idiocy.

I guess I am not really looking for a solution. Just venting.

Enjoy your night!

If I need side amusement... I keep general chat on while I am doing whatever I am doing. It is fun, amusing, and it's pretty easy to throw a curve ball into the banter as well.

If I need my undivided attention to what I am doing in game.. I turn general chat off.

Sometimes tool-bags decide to gank an obvious new player in chat. I have a soft spot for these sorts and will happily engage them in conversational debate while answering the new players questions in /w. They quickly disengage when confronted with thoughtful discussion of any sort as others will also quickly drive their drivel from the chat channel.

TL;DR general chat can be quite entertaining, and it is it's very own meta game of PvP as well at times. :D

If I need side amusement... I keep general chat on while I am doing whatever I am doing. It is fun, amusing, and it's pretty easy to throw a curve ball into the banter as well.

If I need my undivided attention to what I am doing in game.. I turn general chat off.

Sometimes tool-bags decide to gank an obvious new player in chat. I have a soft spot for these sorts and will happily engage them in conversational debate while answering the new players questions in /w. They quickly disengage when confronted with thoughtful discussion of any sort as others will also quickly drive their drivel from the chat channel.

TL;DR general chat can be quite entertaining, and it is it's very own meta game of PvP as well at times. :D

That's just it... It's not amusing anymore.

I somewhat take that back. It was a tad humorous to see people talk about panties who clearly have not seen panties outside of a video on the internet.

But still, overall, it really is no fun most of the time.

Yeah I usually try to be the nice person and answer a sincere question like "How do I get a ship?" when the following answers are usually akin to "suck my *****". The worst people are the ones that are so angry at people asking noob questions that they turn into a 5 minute tirade about how google is your friend and how people are doing a disservice to everyone by answering the question. However by just simply answering it, General Chat would have moved on and been less cluttered a long time ago.

Yeah I usually try to be the nice person and answer a sincere question like "How do I get a ship?" when the following answers are usually akin to "suck my *****". The worst people are the ones that are so angry at people asking noob questions that they turn into a 5 minute tirade about how google is your friend and how people are doing a disservice to everyone by answering the question. However by just simply answering it, General Chat would have moved on and been less cluttered a long time ago.

Abso-freaking-lutely! I'll often send a /w to the player asking - general chat does suck 99% of the time. I also try to send a "/w thank you" to anyone who tired to help the player asking the question.

I see that a lot too.

Not to derail my own thread, but I really do hope that we get a mentor/sidekick feature soon. It would put a lot more fun into helping.

My personal favorite is the rocket scientists on RP servers who get into giant arguments about how heinous it is to be in character in any channel except /say.... and who simultaneously will complain about the lack of RP in the game.

Yes, for far too many people, the definition of trolling is "posting something I disagree with" or "posting something which has shown me up in some way."

Edited by branmakmuffin

Jano,

Welcome to BC. It's not a roleplaying server, regardless of tag on the server select. As BW does not enforce such, you won't see it. I've rolled a few toons on the other RP servers, and ours is definitely the worst.

Also, start an Imp. The Pub side is by far worse with the childishness on BC. I'd easily say 6 times worse. When I explain that to the pubs in General, they tend to quiet down a bit tho (For some reason the Pubs have a superiority complex. You'd figure it would be the other way around).

Past that, feel free to ignore them as most of them are pretty terrible at FPs, and don't really have anything intelligent to say in Warzones. The multiple chat tabs helps as well, but yea you're gonna miss actual reasonable stuff in general and trade (PvP channels are always garbage, either side. Just leave them off).

Really what our server needs is a channel for roleplay and help. Unfortunately I see the trolls getting in, so unless there is some way to moderate that...

My personal favorite is the rocket scientists on RP servers who get into giant arguments about how heinous it is to be in character in any channel except /say.... and who simultaneously will complain about the lack of RP in the game.

I created a jerk Inquisitor last week. A few days ago I logged into Korriban and started talking in general chat like an uppity and entitled Sith. Telling the BHers on the planet that they reek of Hutts and sewers and that they did not belong here.

Pretty soon, "Mansalorians" or tossing threats about more coming to defend them. Other folks are joining in in-character-ish and breaking out their high-level Sith. Duels were issued and had and we (by "we" I mean the folks with high level characters. I was the yippy little dog behind them) drove the filthy Mandalorians off of Korriban.

It was quite fun.

Jano,

Welcome to BC. It's not a roleplaying server, regardless of tag on the server select. As BW does not enforce such, you won't see it. I've rolled a few toons on the other RP servers, and ours is definitely the worst.

Also, start an Imp. The Pub side is by far worse with the childishness on BC. I'd easily say 6 times worse. When I explain that to the pubs in General, they tend to quiet down a bit tho (For some reason the Pubs have a superiority complex. You'd figure it would be the other way around).

Past that, feel free to ignore them as most of them are pretty terrible at FPs, and don't really have anything intelligent to say in Warzones. The multiple chat tabs helps as well, but yea you're gonna miss actual reasonable stuff in general and trade (PvP channels are always garbage, either side. Just leave them off).

Really what our server needs is a channel for roleplay and help. Unfortunately I see the trolls getting in, so unless there is some way to moderate that...

Thank you. I have recently and very slowly begun playing an Inquisitor. I will try more time on that side and see how things go.

Thank you. I have recently and very slowly begun playing an Inquisitor. I will try more time on that side and see how things go.

Also:

Join any one of the like 40 RP guilds on the Imp side too. Some do RP events, some require RP only in Guild chat, some have their own channel for RP only and do general OOC chat in Guild. Guild hop till you find the right one if you're into RP. I've had some really good RP in some of those guilds when they aren't dead.

I'm 34, have a grown up career, and I still love richard and fart jokes - but they don't really belong in general chat, nor the other garbage we see on the Pub side on a regular daily/nightly basis. I have yet to see any RP on the planets on the Pub side in general, but every now and then the Imp side breaks out into some RP in general. It's not as often as the other servers unfortunately. There is also way less stupid questions and stupid answers on the Imp side as well. Totally opposite of what I expected, as I'd think the immature people would gravitate more towards "Dark Side Two Lightsabers".

I think I know the conversation you are talking about, I added 5 people to ignore it it really cleaned up General Chat.

Don't worry too much about it though. Its mostly kids trying the FTP option. Surprising Chat was actually a bit more "sophisticated" before Free to Play went in.

Plenty of us grown ups still on

Remember to report anything like that as spam, 100+ reports and the get squelched, (all chat options on there account get shut down for about 24 hours).

Edited by Jrea

I'm 34, have a grown up career, and I still love richard and fart jokes - but they don't really belong in general chat

Why not? Should GC be used only for LFM/LFG and asking "serious" questions? If that were the case, there'd be a post once ever 10 minutes.

I have yet to see any RP on the planets on the Pub side in general, but every now and then the Imp side breaks out into some RP in general.

When you say "in general," do you mean "general chat?" General chat is not the place for RP. It's not very RPish to go IC with someone on the other side of the planet or even the other side of the fleet space station, unless they're RPing a pair of telepaths or the conversation takes place via communicator. And even then it would be better done via /w. The only reason to RP in GC is to show off and "force" everyone else to view the RP.

Consequently, not seeing RP in GC is not a very good indicator of how much RP is going on.

Edited by branmakmuffin

When you say "in general," do you mean "general chat?" General chat is not the place for RP. It's not very RPish to go IC with someone on the other side of the planet or even the other side of the fleet space station, unless they're RPing a pair of telepaths or the conversation takes place via communicator. And even then it would be better done via /w. The only reason to RP in GC is to show off and "force" everyone else to view the RP.

Consequently, not seeing RP in GC is not a very good indicator of how much RP is going on.

Ironically, RPing in /say or /e can be heard/seen from the other side of the fleet space station.

You are starting to sound like one of those people who will spend hours arguing the "rules" of RP instead of just shutting up and RPing.

Why not? Should GC be used only for LFM/LFG and asking "serious" questions? If that were the case, there'd be a post once ever 10 minutes.

Well, smart money is on when general chat goes full retard, people turn it off.

Should it be that way? Probably. Required? No. Hence why I say there should be a "Help" chat channel so you can avoid the General Chat dumb and stick to the business at hand. In the end, it's general chat, and you can do whatever you want in it. However many use it for help, making groups, etc - and I know I, and many others just turn it off when it gets to the level of dumb spam. I'd rather have it available to find groups, help people with questions, etc - but that's just not the case. I also want BW to enforce RP servers being RP servers, BW to enforce their ToS, and a toilet made out of solid gold.

I agree, but it works well for people who want to RP on a planet, and do some quests, etc. If you want a roleplaying excuse, there could just be a holocom channel everyone is on.

Honestly? The show off and force is more in the emRPs (Ive seen people use say three times total for RP), which are terribad on BC to the point I'd take the derp in General chat over the emRP. Unfortunately you can't turn off emotes.

Funny enough though, the RP I've seen in general is 10 times better than the emRP I've seen. All of the quality stuff seems to be inside guilds on BC, or guild to guild events.

Edited by Maelael

put those that you don't want to hear on your ignore list. Trust me, your quality of life will go up.

My quality of life went up at some undetermined point in the distant past when I learned that all-important life lesson that says I have a built-in /ignore feature...

...in my head.

Well, smart money is on when general chat goes full retard, people turn it off.

Smart money says you must not participate in GC very often.

I know I, and many others just turn it off when it gets to the level of dumb spam.

And that's your choice. Personally, I find it just as easy to not pay attention to it when it goes "full retard."

Funny enough though, the RP I've seen in general is 10 times better than the emRP I've seen. All of the quality stuff seems to be inside guilds on BC, or guild to guild events.

Most RP I see in MMOs is "full retard" (every other person is a super-major bad-a**, or every third person claims to own the fleet cantina). Which is why I don't bother with RP in MMOs.